It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Job, My Hell...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:01 pm 

The price that Lil wants me to pay.......is either Jan Di can come home or Lil wants to adopt a female baby in the PI and bring her home.

I have 30 days to make the call......or she will.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 pm 

Laager wrote:
Then he said I told you I would feel better in the morning.....cause paybacks a b*t*h.

I always love a story with a good lesson to it. :lol:

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:26 pm 

CG wrote:
Laager wrote:
Then he said I told you I would feel better in the morning.....cause paybacks a b*t*h.

I always love a story with a good lesson to it. :lol:

I asked James some years later what happened between him and Walker boys and why would he work for them. He told me he was banking over 2 grand in cash a week or more as well as free room and board and they provided him with his choice of cars as well as any firearms he wanted.

I pointed out that there were laws against what he and they were doing. He told me that he viewed the current laws on that as more of a guideline. The problem happened when the Walker boys broke the rules that he had explained to them as a condition to working for them.

Lil asked me once why James was that way, and all I could say was that I thought he was hit in the head way to many times. She told me it was something in the DNA, I said why would you say that, she told me that I was like James in a lot of ways and that a couple of my cousins were as well and that my brother Gabby was to a lesser degree. All I could say was that works.

Edited to add: Back in 2005 James asked me to go with him on a road trip to Alabama to visit. I asked Lil and she said sure, so away we went. We had a good time, did some fishing and shooting, saw some of the family then he told me we had to stop off in Mountain Creek Alabama (up north where his great aunt and uncle had once had some property).

I figured it was because he used to spend summers up there and wanted to visit and take some pictures. Nope we spent the night at the TLF on Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base, about 2200hrs he woke me up and told me we had to go somewhere and for me to grab the two empty duffel bags.

So I did and we drove over to the old property where he poked around for awhile then dug up a duffel bag worth of long guns and quite a few pistols and some ammo. And two shoe boxes of cash.

I guess I should have asked him why he bought two long handled shovels at the Maxwell-Gunter PX, but I figured since it was none of my business.

I have often wondered what the new owners of the property thought when they woke up the next morning and found a 2 to 3 foot wide by about six feet long freshly dug hole (we even filled it back in) in their yard by the tree house that their kids probably still played in and on and two shovels laying next to it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:34 pm 

I was doing a tour in Korea, it was my last tour there when I received a letter from Dube, evidently he had just been stationed at Chinhae (according to Dube Chinhae was the only U.S. Navy Base in Mainland Asia) and that he wanted to come up and visit.

I did point out that there used to be more like Vịnh Cam Ranh (Cam Ranh Bay), he told me that Cam Ranh Bay was closed. So I pointed out that there was also Sembawang Naval Base in the Republic of Singapore. He pointed out that the Republic of Singapore, is an island city-state, so I gave up.

It turned out that Dube had decided he wanted a wife, not just any wife but a Korean wife. So he came up from Busan which is on the lower end of the peninsula up to Camp Casey in Dongducheon also known as TDC.

Now I always thought that Dube was a bit off, not sure if it was all the weed he smoked or if it was to many whacks to the head but imagine my surprise when I found out that he had came all the way up to buy a wife.

Yep you got it, buy a wife....so we spent about a week going around talking to different Ajummas that if not own the bars, then they ran them. He finally found one and struck a deal. The wanker even had some pictures of what he wanted her to look like.

He left me two grand in cash and the pictures and then went back to Busan, well back to Chinhae and work. He gave me his work phone number and away he went.

I called Lil and talked to her for awhile about this and that and since Dube did not say I could not tell anyone I asked Lil about what she thought. Now days she calls it human trafficking, but it was the way it was back then. Korean women were not valued by their families or their society and were often sold off so the family could buy something or have some cash for the number one son. She did not give it much thought then or now and frankly they have been married for almost 34 years or so and have three daughters.

It took about six weeks and then I was told to go to the CQ hut, I had a phone call. Turned out it was a Korean bar girl who was told to call me and ask me to come down and go to a bar with her. So I asked for some time off and my daily pass and away I went.

Yep she was there and looked like the girls in the pictures that Dube had given me. I gave the Ajumma 1500.00 dollars and two bottles of Johnny Walker (I can not remember if it was Black Label or Platinum Label).

She had nothing but the clothes on her back, so I asked her what her name was (Young-hee) and ended up having to feed her, then I took her to a store to buy some clothes and other female type stuff, then we were off to a reputable hotel and got her a room. I made sure the hotel had rooms with latrines and running water, both hot and cold.

I think she thought she was my Yobo, now Yobo was the what the Korean bar girls (prostitutes/''hostesses''/entertainers) were known as, when in fact they were called doumi girls, but Yobo is or was a way of saying, “honey, sweetie, baby, etc. in Hangul (Korean).

I am not sure if Young-hee was disappointed or relieved to find out it was Dube and not me, but she turned out to be a wonderful wife and mother and has put up with Dube for 34 years.

I asked him once why in the heck he came all the way up to TDC to find a wife when there were plenty down in Busan. He told me that he wanted a girl that no one in the Navy "knew" so to speak and did not want to do business in or around Chinhae.

I guess it made since and worked out in the end. I will say that I am sure that his daughters are glad that they take after their mother in looks and brains.

Dube actually drove his Vespa all the way from Norfolk Naval base in Virginia to Whidbey Island in Washington and then had his Vespa shipped to Korea. The darn thing even has a trailer and he wears one of those white Vespa half motorcycle with a pair of goggles.

I once told him that it was probably the Vespa riding that did him in with the females.........no one wants to go on a date with some guy who rides a Vespa and that is the way they get everywhere. Then again I could be wrong about that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:51 am 

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love your stories!

On a stupid side note- I think women from PI are the prettiest in the world. And I admire the old school moral code their culture has as well.

On the deal Lil gave you- I'm not sure who Jan Di is but I'm a big advocate of adoption and that child would have a much better life in the US than in the PI- so there's my vote. (Even though you didn't ask.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am 

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love your stories!

On a stupid side note- I think women from PI are the prettiest in the world. And I admire the old school moral code their culture has as well.

On the deal Lil gave you- I'm not sure who Jan Di is but I'm a big advocate of adoption and that child would have a much better life in the US than in the PI- so there's my vote. (Even though you didn't ask.)

I have to agree with you, but unfortunately time passes and things change. Chaperones are mostly a thing of the past, abortion has been made legal and they are working on making divorce legal or may have already done so.

However, I will note that by making divorce illegal and getting an annulment very hard to get an expensive as well as if you are married and a family member gets to immigrate to the U.S. they will not be able to go, unless they are single. This I believe has made living together something most couples do, common law marriage.

There is hardly any middle class in the PI, either you are rich or you are poor. So life is pretty hard over there, one of my wife's nieces was living in Smokey Mountain until Lil's Mom went there and took her back from her mother.

Manila's largest dumpsite or Smokey Mountain is called that because there are places that are on fire. People actually live in the dump, picking over the garbage being dumped there.

(https://www.google.com/search?q=smokey+ ... yx2GhQpPCM:)

One of my nieces works at KFC and makes about 400 peso a day. that is about $6.00usd a day for an 8 hour day. Not sure if her being a student makes a difference or not.

We have an apartment compound and I usually end up giving away a good chunk of cash to the tenants and of course we always bring gifts home as well as send boxes of clothes home. We also take two carry-ons of nothing but candy.

Jan Di, hmmmmm maybe one day I might tell you the story. Let's just say for now that Jan Di is not supposed to be welcome in my home any longer. She left about 20 years ago, but I know she has been back a few times because she always liked the smell of plumeria and sometimes when I go away on a trip without Lil (Lil, Bec and Susan always seem to push me to go) and I come back I can smell plumeria. I know she used to wear plumeria perfume when she was younger, well at least until she turned 18. I also noticed an old picture displayed in my room, one that I took down about 20 years ago, and then a few days later it was gone and the regular family picture that used to be there was put back where it belonged.

So I am pretty sure that she comes home when I am gone and the women in the family keep it to themselves.

I've made up my mind, actually did it awhile back but am still working over all the changes it will make in the family.

Probably this year we will start looking for a child to adopt and I will tell her that Jan Di can come home as well.

Then I can do some monumentally stupid and providing I survive, I can then call in a huge marker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:14 pm 

Laager wrote:

I've made up my mind, actually did it awhile back but am still working over all the changes it will make in the family.

Probably this year we will start looking for a child to adopt and I will tell her that Jan Di can come home as well.

Then I can do some monumentally stupid and providing I survive, I can then call in a huge marker.

Me being a South Eastern Son as well, I thought you were talking about the TN / NC border for a minute- I'm glad you clarified.

I'm going to try not to veer too hard into politics here, and I am the polar opposite of a Globalist- but this is exactly why I get so upset when people BMW (b----, moan and whine) about how 'bad' things are here in the States. Unless you are Bill Gates- somebody else always has more than you do. Deal with it. But by virtue of being an American alone- you are in the top 10% of wealth in the world. Deal with it! And if you want 'more', this is America! Your material comfort is a direct result of your work. Deal with it! [/rant]

Good for you that you clearly get this and help your friends and family back in the PI.

And I would also say good for you on choosing both adoption and letting Jan Di come home. But your motives are clearly not entirely altruistic. :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm 

Laager wrote:

Me being a South Eastern Son as well, I thought you were talking about the TN / NC border for a minute- I'm glad you clarified.

I'm going to try not to veer too hard into politics here, and I am the polar opposite of a Globalist- but this is exactly why I get so upset when people BMW (b----, moan and whine) about how 'bad' things are here in the States. Unless you are Bill Gates- somebody else always has more than you do. Deal with it. But by virtue of being an American alone- you are in the top 10% of wealth in the world. Deal with it! And if you want 'more', this is America! Your material comfort is a direct result of your work. Deal with it! [/rant]

Good for you that you clearly get this and help your friends and family back in the PI.

And I would also say good for you on choosing both adoption and letting Jan Di come home. But your motives are clearly not entirely altruistic. :rofl:

Oh you and me both brother......it ticks me off to drive into the larger town down the road and pass by any of the low income or subsidized housing areas, where supposedly poor people who makes less than 23,000 a year live. They used to be known as the projects but sometime awhile back they renamed them, one of them is now known as Las Ventanas Apartments. I guess cause you know it might hurt someone's feelings or something.

It used to be that they could not have AC units (window units) or drive newer model cars, now they have newer cars than Lil does, as well as window AC units and I always see big screen TVs (larger than the ones I have in our house) and I even saw a couple of the newer curved TV boxes the last time I went to see James.

While I feel bad for people that are truly disabled and need help, the rest of them I don't feel sorry for at all. Someone told me I lack empathy and I said no, at times I have had more than one job to make sure that I had enough money for something Lil or the kids needed, while I was attending college, right after I was medically discharged from the military.

I even had a job up at Ellsworth AFB, feeding some ducks and geese (as well as catching them every winter) and I had to clean up duck and goose poop....for minimum wage. At the same time I was working on a double major, double minor and had two other jobs, one as a Domino's pizza delivery driver and the other as a night janitor at a bowling alley.

Having spent a huge portion of my adult life in Asia I have seen some truly poor people, yet everyday they get up and go to work trying to make things work with absolutely no government money or help.

I have always told Lil that I don't care where the money goes, as long as all the bill's are paid, there is food on the table and our family is taken care of first.

I did tell her brothers awhile back to stop asking for loans.......since they always borrow money (for the past 34 years or so) and never pay it back....just say give me money. Lil told me to hush up.

There is a huge difference between a want and a need......yet a lot of people do not seem to have figured that out....they do not need a new car, or the latest IPhone 7, or a 65 inch big screen TV....they just want them.

Well I will never admit it to Lil, Bec, Susan or anyone in the family but I have missed her, although I am still mad....Lil says that I will get over it....eventually. I guess I carry a mad for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 am 

My wife and I lived in 'Section 8 Appartments' when we first got married- I'm not going to look down my nose at anyone who does (and I'm not saying/implying you do). But we were far from 'poor'. There is no such thing as a poor person on the US. Because the poorest, homeless most destitute US resident is still better off than 90% of the world. And another thing- my family does not live in subsidized housing anymore. Why? Because I didn't WANT my family to live in subsidized housing anymore and *I* made changes in our life to get us out of that. On paper- my family is still 'poor' due to its size and income, but I don't know how many poor people have 0 debt ant own land in 4 states (all purchased with cash, none financed or inherited).

I have often said Military service should be mandatory in this country (think Israel or Switzerland, not Heinlein/Starship Troopers). Not only would it instill a sense of duty and responsibility, but it would also instill gratitude (to country, to God, to something- but realize how lucky you are to be an American) when they get stationed over seas for a year or several.

The irony is I say that as someone who tried to enlist at 18 and was told I was too fat. And by the time I lost weight I was in my early 30s and had a wife and kids and no longer wanted to enlist. So let me just thank you and all other vets reading this for your service and sacrifice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:34 am 

Quote:
I have often said Military service should be mandatory in this country (think Israel or Switzerland, not Heinlein/Starship Troopers).

Military service, hell no, I know too many people who should not own knives, let along have access to fully automatic weapons or explosives. I agree with people serving (just not universal armed service), I had an uncle that is a conscious objector and did his two years of service an a hospital orderly (moving patients, emptying bedpans ect.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 am 

emclean wrote:
Quote:
I have often said Military service should be mandatory in this country (think Israel or Switzerland, not Heinlein/Starship Troopers).

Military service, hell no, I know too many people who should not own knives, let along have access to fully automatic weapons or explosives. I agree with people serving (just not universal armed service), I had an uncle that is a conscious objector and did his two years of service an a hospital orderly (moving patients, emptying bedpans ect.)

That is a better way of wording what I meant, thank you. I still think non-combatants should 'see the world' though. You don't even have to go far- and you can even see it in 'luxury' destinations- Mexico, Caribbean Nations, etc. to see how truly fortunate you are to live in a '1st world', developed nation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 pm 

My wife and I lived in 'Section 8 Appartments' when we first got married- I'm not going to look down my nose at anyone who does (and I'm not saying/implying you do). But we were far from 'poor'. There is no such thing as a poor person on the US. Because the poorest, homeless most destitute US resident is still better off than 90% of the world. And another thing- my family does not live in subsidized housing anymore. Why? Because I didn't WANT my family to live in subsidized housing anymore and *I* made changes in our life to get us out of that. On paper- my family is still 'poor' due to its size and income, but I don't know how many poor people have 0 debt ant own land in 4 states (all purchased with cash, none financed or inherited).

I have often said Military service should be mandatory in this country (think Israel or Switzerland, not Heinlein/Starship Troopers). Not only would it instill a sense of duty and responsibility, but it would also instill gratitude (to country, to God, to something- but realize how lucky you are to be an American) when they get stationed over seas for a year or several.

The irony is I say that as someone who tried to enlist at 18 and was told I was too fat. And by the time I lost weight I was in my early 30s and had a wife and kids and no longer wanted to enlist. So let me just thank you and all other vets reading this for your service and sacrifice.

Oh no I went to school with a few kids who lived in what is now known as Las Ventanas Apartments. None of them do now, and neither do their parents. They needed help, not wanted help and when in once case the father and the other the mother managed to find a job they moved the heck out. It was supposed to encourage people not to stay there, now somehow they get all these goodies and never move out. It has gotten so bad in the projects that they actually have moved LEOs and their families into some of the house in the projects.

I asked James one time, since he lives in the town down the road (the one with the projects) why the heck did cops live in the projects, he said because of all the crime. I sad what the heck do they have to steal from each other....and he pointed at a mound of boxes that had computer boxes, DVD players, Xbox and a huge big screen tv.

Then he said it is not to protect he people around the projects, but to keep the crime levels down in the projects.

Nope, I always say try making it on 6 dollars a day or less for a full 8 hour shift and you have to pay full price for you meals or make a living collect plastic to recycle by digging through trash.

Lil gets mad at me, but when I am off wandering around Olongapo City (usually heading out to lunch some place) I end up paying for a meal for some of the beggars....usually the little girls. Then leave them some cash and head on home.

Last time I was there three little girls around 8 and younger came in to the McDonald's down on Magsaysay drive selling Chinese New Year envelopes each one was a peso, now if you went out on the street to a street vendor you could get 10 for a peso. I was with some American friends and we each bought one.

Then I watched the oldest girl take the middle girl to the latrine and left the youngest girl outside where she watched some kids eating a McDo meal (Chicken leg - fried, with brown gravy and a side of rice. What can I say McDonald's overseas sells what the locals like to eat, they even have spaghetti). I mean you could see her head and eyes tracking the food as it left the table, went up to the mouth and then returned to the table.

So when the older girl came out, she made the middle girl clean up at the sink then I called them over and asked them if they were hungry. The two little ones said yes, but the older one said no...so I told them to follow me up front and had them each order a meal to eat there. Found them a place to sit and watched the McDonald's staff take the food to them. The worker came over with my change and I sent her back to the table with the kids to give it to them.

It cost me about six dollars to feed three kids. Granted it was a single meal, but hey it did not hurt me in the least bit.

Usually if you give the street beggars money they take it to their parents, and that really ticks me off to no end.....but if you feed them and give them some change...well they get a decent meal or at least a meal they more than likely will not ever get to have and maybe a pleasant memory. Mostly they are just ignored.

Two years ago I did it a the Inasal near St Joseph's (two little girls) and the manager said that their brothers would get mad. I told her their brothers could take it up with me. The brothers showed up and tried to take the food from them.....we had a discussion and they left, the girls finished eating, got some change (cause those shift Filipinos will give you change instead of paper bills every single darn time, I don't know why but they do....give them a 500 note and they will break it down into the smallest denomination they can....and I can see those 200 peso notes in the register, when I was active duty we used to save the change and toss it in a drawer, then we gather all that change in brown paper bags and went down town to case some mayhem...by throwing it into the street. The shore patrol took a dim view of it......as did the local police.) and then they left. I left right after them and saw their brothers take the money away from them.

Nothing I can do to change it and it is against the law to kill them or maim them so I do what I can where I can and then go home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 pm 

Here's another James story....

The weather in LA is not what it is like here in New Mexico, and we are not really used to the muggy heat even in winter. So while we were down there we stripped down and went for a dip in the bayou. James hardly ever and I mean ever takes his shirt off and I forgot that Lil has never seen him with his shirt off.

So I should not have been surprised when she asked me what had happened to him. I'll tell the story and you can figure some of it out.

Now every once in awhile James' parents would send him home (to Alabama) to live or stay with his grandparents. Mine left me with my Grandparents till I was in third grade, then they figured out they messed up. Mainly because I did not toe the party line, someone else raised me to their mores, norms and what not. Then they would send me back for awhile, then bring me back, then figure out it wasn't working, then send me back.

I think we were both in the 5th grade, when his Dad received orders to Kessler AFB over in Biloxi, Ms. Since his Mom was from Theodore she wanted to live there even if it meant his Dad had a long drive into work. (Happy wife, Happy Life).

For some reason they were living in a trailer park in Tillman's Corner and James ended up being sent to what had been prior to desegregation was the all Black elementary school (Mary W. Burroughs Elementary, but was something along the lines of darn near 98% black students and the rest were whatever they were. I remember him telling me that he was the only white boy in all of fifth grade), while I was attending Nan Gray Davis Elementary School which was mostly all white.

Now I am not sure how I ended up in that school since my grandparents and I lived off of Bellingrath road (which should have put me the school zone for Mary W. Burroughs, but all of my cousins went there so it was no big deal. Later on they bought a house up on Highmont drive which put him in the better part of town and of course Nan Gray Davis.

Anyway there was this older woman and by older I mean she was probably in her mid to late 60's and did not and I mean did not like people coming onto her property, especially young boys riding their bikes (either their bicycles, mini bikes or dirt bikes) across her property.

As with any group of kids, rumors always flew in regards to this one on lady.....they used to call her the Witch and it was said if she did not shoot you with her shotgun, that supposedly was loaded with rock salt, then she would cruse you till your dying days.

Did not stop us, heck it did not even slow us down......we would cut across her property on the way to school and usually on the way from school....and she would come storming out screaming and yelling waving that double barrel greener and a few times we would hear the roar of that shotgun as we kept going, laughing and screaming the whole way.

Of course no one ever got shot or even "cursed", but hey you know, someone knew someone, who knew someone whose cousins dog's sister had been shot or cursed and or both at the same time.

I was up visiting James and we had some extra money from mowing lawns and turning in refundable bottles for cash (we usually spent it on .22lr ammo) but occasionally those Rednecks would throw the good liter bottles out or at us as they drove by. Their loss, our win and we had a bit of extra for a RC cola and maybe even split a moon pie if we were frugal. We were going to ride out to my Grandfather's place and pick up some .22LR and get two RC sodas (since we were forbidden to drink Mountain Dew) and split a moon pie. So off we went....on our dirt bikes. We me t up with our cousin Barron and took off. Honestly all I could think of was there went our moon pie......since I knew Barron never had any money of his own and always managed to mooch off of us.

The mom & Pop store close to where I lived was down by Clyde drive (I had a cousin by that name and the building is still there, but it is or was boarded up last time I went by) would sell me all the .22LR ammo I could afford since my grandfather had gone down and told them it was okay. Heck he used to send me down there to get his Jax beer and cigarettes' and they sold them to me.....now days everyone would be in jail and or out of business.

Barron took off and got in the lead, James and I both knew and know to this day that Barron wanted to be in front so the Witch would not get him. He was not shall we say very adventurous or known for being in the lead or rear when something might go wrong. He was a herd animal.....and liked being in the middle of the herd whenever possible.

But his parents had money not sure how much but when everyone else had used single shot (one bullet at a time) .22LR he had a brand new Remington Nylon 66 semi auto and never seemed to be short on ammo. He was the first one of us to get a shotgun as well, even though it was a bolt action, it beat the break opens the rest of us had.

All I remember is making the turn (I was in the middle) onto the Witch's property and seeing her standing on the front porch, bringing up that old double barrel shotgun and thinking Oh Lord....this is going to hurt like the dickens......then I heard the bang and was surprised that it did not hurt....right up till I looked back and saw James was down.....so like a moron I stopped and then heard the second bang.

Nope, I was wrong...it hurt worse than the dickens. A lot worse and of course it only got better from then on out.

James had gotten back on his bike and stopped to help me, and I could see her busy trying to reload. Thankfully from it looked like she was having troubles breaking it open. I got back up and hit the gas as hard as I could and James and I shot out of there and were gone....in a cloud of sandy pine needle strewn dirt.

We got down to about halfway down Swedetown Road and pulled over....Barron was gone. I mean gone as in we looked down Swedetown road and could not see him, then we looked back up Swedetown road and did not see him, so he was long gone.

Found out later his momma was calling him and he had to go home.......this was in the 60's...he must of had ESP or something, I know she had one heck of a loud yell but he lived about five miles away......

James did not look to happy, so I was thinking oh man he is planning on doing something to the Witch. I liked the Witch, she gave out the best Halloween treats in the whole area, that is if you had the stones to go up there and get them.

So I asked James what he was thinking and he asked why.

My next question was are you planning on getting back at the Witch?

He looked surprised and said no. Now why would I do something like that? We broke her rules and paid the price. Besides she makes the best Rhubarb and Chocolate pies in the world. I'm thinking about Barron. I'm going to pound some salt down that rat hole.

Well we decided that it would be best not to go back to his house and kept going to my grandfather's place. Where my grandmother had us strip and sit in a tub to soak. I do not recommend getting shot in the back with rock salt. Mine was a little higher than his, but he got it in the middle, lower and right leg. Let us just say that it stings and well James got some "attitude adjustment time" from his mother and then when his father got home from him as well.

James went home on leave sometime in the mid to late 70's before he married Susan and it was for Christmas. Because on Christmas morning after all the presents have been handed out, his parents would make him (if he was home or his brother Stanley if not) take his four brothers and sister out to the local gravel pit to shoot any new guns that they might have received from Santa or any ammo. Basically they used to give out .22LR ammo so they could get the kids out of their hair for the morning. Five bricks of ammo lasts awhile when you have bolt action or pump action rifles.

So they rounded up some empty cans and stuff and away they went.

I am not sure how long they were out there but they would take turns going down range to set up the cans and usually he went first, since he was the oldest and the first shot was to the person that set up the targets.

Anyway, I know it was his turn because he told me he was down range setting up the targets when he got this funny feeling and happened to glance up (while still bending over to set up a can with his left hand) and saw his brother Roger aiming his rifle at him.

Next thing he knew he had a pain in his right arm and was running back up range chasing after Roger, who had dropped his rifle and was running for his life.

His sister Belinda, Stanley and David stopped him and managed to stop the bleeding.

The round went into his left arm (on the inside), just above his elbow crease, hit something (bone) and then went up his arm and out his upper shoulder above his left clavicle.

His parents told him is was an accident, the rifle went off on its own.....it was of course not Rogers fault in anyway shape or form. However that is not what his other brothers and sister told them, James or me (later on when I asked).

They firmly believe that Roger was aiming or at least trying to hit James in the head.

His mother took him to my mother (who was at the time an RN) and since they would not take him to the hospital she cleaned it out as best she could, then she patched him up and they went home.

30 days later James went back to Oceana NAS in Va.

A year later Roger fell down and broke his left clavicle, left humerus (in two places), his left ulna and radius in two places and there was enough damage in his left shoulder joint and left elbow joint that his dream of joining the Air Force like his Father was not to be. He was declared IV-F.

When his father asked him not to try to get even with Roger he told him he would not try to get even. His parents accused him of lying to them, when they got to the base hospital to see Roger, and James told them he did not lie to them. He did not get even, he got better than even.

Roger stays far, far away from him, even to this day. If James comes into a room, no matter what Roger is doing he stops and leaves immediately.

One time when Lil and I had just gotten married and had our honeymoon in Hawaii, James and Susan were there (he was stationed there) and she told me (when I was acting stupid) why couldn't I be more like James.

I laughed it off and told her you would definitely not like me if I was like James.

Sometime later she told me she was glad I wasn't quite like him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm 

Laager wrote:

It is always best to have a motive.......or a set of them like a Matryoshka doll.....layers and layers of them. You never know when you might need them.

Well Lil is currently in the PI with Sam and so when she called I told her to start looking......and that the next time she called or Jan Di called to tell her she can come visit, even when I am home.

She tried the old oh Honey Ko you know she never has......to which I pointed out yes Yobo ko you are 100% correct, she never has visited when I was home. But we all know that she has when I have been away.

So unless you want to start fibbing to me, I'd drop it or do you want me to by you some Plumeria perfume for Christmas this year instead of that bracelet you asked for?

Guess I have to buy the bracelet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 am 

Okay as I have said before I went back home to LA to visit and do some hanging out with the cousins and that usually (ok, always) includes alcohol and firearms, not always in that order but that is pretty much the top two.

Usually what happens is we end up at the fish camp (since we are adults we get to stay inside, although sometimes they drink to much and end up falling asleep/pass out in the chairs and then the mosquitos eat them up, as well as first one to fall asleep or pass out usually is not a happy camper when they wake up.

Things have been done to the person that punches out first that are shall we say not life threatening but definitely embarrassing. Some of the things have been, hair shaving, either all of it or parts of it (shall we say no hair is safe?), indelible ink, bodily fluids, lost clothes, female undergarments put on (no other clothes), tied up, application of make up, etc.

Some of them are pretty bad........some years back two of our cousins went out first, well one after the other and one was a male the other was a female.......they both were stripped and put in the same sleeping bag. Pictures of them in poses that one should not be in with their cousin were taken. Nothing happened......:-) Cheryl got drunk about two months later and her sister Linda thought it would be a good idea to prank her......so when Cheryl was three sheets to the wind, Linda told her she thought she looked pregnant and kept pushing the idea of doing a test. Somewhere around five sheets to the wind she agreed and then passed out. So Linda was pregnant and had one of those test sticks and so she woke up Linda and told her the test was in, at first Cheryl did not know what test, but Linda reminded her that she peed on a test stick. Times up......oh Cheryl Daddy's going to kill you.....you are pregnant. Who have you been sleeping with? No one? Really? Come on.......I heard that the neighbors called 911 because a women was screaming.

Usually there are feats of shooting....and of course always "Hey watch this" episodes. I am not sure when this started but we hunt carp and snapping turtles as well as rabbits and squirrels and pretty much anything else that moves, either when we are on the back of a 4 wheeler (when we were younger there was an old Ford tractor out there for grading the road and garden work so we would ride on that.

Bragging rights are given to the person that bags the largest. I took a couple of .22LR rifles, and a Hi Standard Supermatic Trophy with a fluted bull barrel and my new .300 Blackout...suppressed.

Lots of AR platforms out there, shotguns, pistols and plenty of .22LR as well.....we do like our firearms.

Dube and his wife showed up as well as their youngest daughter.

He started off with a Ruger heavy barreled 10/22 and a S&W model 41 then moved on to of all things a Barrett model 95. I asked him how he thought he could win with that since there was nothing left to measure. I think by that point no one really cared and the chance to shoot a .50 was to much.

I might have to see if the Bank of Lil will break some cash loose one of these days. Although I doubt I will shoot it enough to justify owning one, and there is no way that I can ever do the rifle justice.....still it is very impressive.

Dube's daughter Min-seo won with the largest carp, using a surpressed Ruger 22/45 Lite. She also won all of the drinking games with those stupid enough to play......looser always pays......always.

Dube had to wear Young-hee's under wear (with nothing else on) and run around the camp and then down the drive way to the road and back. I asked Min if that might not be something she could never scrub from her mind and she told me she has seen worse......in fact she was dating this military recruiter and they came over to visit her parents. Evidently not only was the door knob locked, but the dead bolt was locked as well. So she rang the door bell, repeatedly.

Dube came to the door buck naked.

Kudos to the recruiter he did not even blink and Min and him both came in anyway. To bad he was shipped off to the desert. I heard he was a good guy and well frankly anyone with the stones to come into a house where Dube is naked (and not in a good mood, due to a case of coitus interruptus.

Min said they should have put a tie or hat on the door knob.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:37 am 

I should point out that Dube is about 5'9" and weights in at bout 250 or more. While Young-Hee is about 5'5" and might weigh in at 100 pounds soaking wet.....

So what I am trying to get at is that her underwear did not fit Dube.

While Min closed her eyes when Dube yelled that he was coming out.......I, well I just had to look.....I wish I had not.....really, really wish I had closed my eyes.

To late.......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 am 

Something's just can't be unseen-

A couple of stories up you asked how come you and James didn't go to the same school- the answer is Jerrymandered school districts. After segregation was outlawed in the South, they implemented a process that was in use up North and is now used all across the country. All the 'poor' kids go to one school and the 'rich' kids go to another. I don't have to point out the racial demographics and implications of such a policy. This is yet another reason why my kids are and always have been homeschooled.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm 

A couple of stories up you asked how come you and James didn't go to the same school- the answer is Jerrymandered school districts. After segregation was outlawed in the South, they implemented a process that was in use up North and is now used all across the country. All the 'poor' kids go to one school and the 'rich' kids go to another. I don't have to point out the racial demographics and implications of such a policy. This is yet another reason why my kids are and always have been homeschooled.

No that was not the reason (because they would have gotten me as well and he would not have been the only white boy in 5th grade, the percentages were way off for it to be it that), because back then there were only two elementary schools. You either lived on the wrong side of the railroad tracks or lose to the railroad tracks (they were the dividing line back then) and went to Mary W. Burroughs Elementary or you went Nan Gray Davis.

I lived down the road from the railroad tracks and should have gone to Mary W. Burroughs, instead I actually drove past the turn off and went to Nan Gray Davis.

Heck Tillman's corner was closer to Nan Gray Davis than it was to Mary W. Burroughs.

Come to think of it, he was the only one out of six kids in that family to go to Mary W. Burroughs.

Oh well who really knows, I think he liked that school better than Nan Gray anyway, he did not have to fight anyone to protect his brothers, they had to take their own butt kicking.

Well right up until he was in 6th grade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:53 pm 

Just to share the pain........he actually bent over to pick up stuff..........somehow from behind the one eye was winking....Lil told me she thought I was "off", but she really feels badly for Young-Hee. Lil even went over and gave her a hug. Min said what about me, she may be his wife, but I have some of his DNA running threw my body. She got a hug as well.

I threw up a bit........more like a heave, but if anyone else would have let go, it would have turned into a puke fest.

About four years ago went we home and Van decided to put Susan inside a cooler full of ice, the beer was gone by then, so maybe it was a cooler full of ice water.

You know one of those large white 200qt ones. It probably would have been okay, but he locked the latch. I was amazed that Susan fit in, but it did not end well. I was not even there and Lil was mad at me. What a guy can't go off to the outhouse for a few minutes....fluids go in and they must come back out.....as well as solids.

Pay back was definitely coming and when it hit, well it was as bad as Dube in Young-Hee's skimpy undergarments. Except it involved full frontal nudity, well actually total nudity, a bali song knife, and vengeful Filipina wife who had one hand wrapped around the berries and the knife poking the twig as well as well as threats to remove certain body parts.

Probably didn't help my standing when I yelled out hey is that Lil's knife? It was....and I was told to sit down and shut up, so I did.

I still can't get that image scrubbed out of my mind, although Van's wife thought it was hilarious. Van did not.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 pm 

Lil is currently vacationing back in the PI and leaves this weekend to come home. So I get a facetime video call just now asking me if there was anything I wanted brought back from the PI.

1st response: No.

Sabee: Are you sure?

Me: Absolutely.

Sabee: Why not?

Me: Because I brought something back 34 years ago and have not been able to get rid of it.

Sabee: I'll let you talk to Ate now. She wants to talk to you.

Me: Lil, can I get two bottles of Tanduay Superior Rum aged 12 years?

Lil: Is it for you?

Me: Yes.

Lil: No.

Me: Okay it is for James.

Lil: No

Me: Okay, it is for James and me.

Lil: No

Me: Okay, it is for James, Tony, Dean, Jeff and me.

Lil: One bottle.

Me: Okay, How about a one pee-pee touch?

Lil: No. Have you been watching that stupid movie again?

Me: Which stupid movie would you be referring too?

Lil: You don't mess with the Zohan.

Me: Uhhhhh, yes.

Lil: No. You idiot. Bye.

Bec: You tried for a pee-pee touch and failed!

Me: No I settled for a bottle of Tanduay.

Bec: You know it costs 400 pesos. That's about $8.00.

Me: I know.

Bec: What did you do?

Me: Nothing.

Bec: I'm calling BS on that.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 am 

Laager wrote:
I always thought it was odd that she was attending a Catholic college, but figured it was none of my business and well honestly while it was not socially acceptable in the states, it was socially acceptable in the PI and considered normal.

going to a Catholic school isn't socially acceptable? Why? I'm a Baptist in Alabama, and I would have no problem with someone that I knew going to one .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 am 

Barnabus wrote:
Laager wrote:
I always thought it was odd that she was attending a Catholic college, but figured it was none of my business and well honestly while it was not socially acceptable in the states, it was socially acceptable in the PI and considered normal.

going to a Catholic school isn't socially acceptable? Why? I'm a Baptist in Alabama, and I would have no problem with someone that I knew going to one .

Being transgendered or gay in the PI is socially acceptable or at least out in the open. While back then it was not something that was considered socially acceptable. So it was not the going to the school that was socially acceptable, it was being transgendered that was not socially acceptable in the states at that time.

Well let's just say that I found it odd that what is now known as a transgendered person (she dressed as a girl even back then) would attend a Catholic school. You have to remember this was way back in the late 1970's. Even now bad things happen to transgender people...especially when someone takes them home thinking they are a female when they still have the twigs and berries.

Basically I always wondered why someone would go someplace where they were told they were going to Hell. There were plenty of other choices that were not religious based colleges, yet she went to that one. Granted it was the same college Lil went to when she was young, so maybe it was a family thing.

Like I said none of my business, I have never asked her why. I just know I would see her walking down the street (Gordon Ave) heading to Magsaysay drive to catch a Jeepney or met up with Lil and then go home. Of course this meant she had to walk past all the drunk sailors and of course the bars that catered to them.

I realized I knew her after Lil and I started to hang out, she had said hi to me several times while I stood outside the Salem hotel, which was on the corner of Gordon Ave and Magsaysay drive.

I even took her to a mandatory fun day beach party......she was a big hit....later I was told not to show up anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 am 

I still have a few more stories form my time in the Army and some from when I was employed by Fed.gov. When I get a chance I will sit down and type them up.

On a side note while watching RE6 the subject of having your wife dress up came up. Doobie's wife (she recently changed her hair style) seems to bear a striking resemblance to Ada Wong in RE6. I told them to please never mention that again, they never learn their lessons.

Anyway time to run, just returned from a trip with Lil, she worked and I played. Maybe if anyone is interested in a tale of woe about asking your wife to wear something, I let you know what happens.

Take care, stay safe and have a good week.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm 

Just give me a couple more days to get Lil off to work and then I can get the house settled and post a couple of stories.

We did a road trip to help a guy take his truck from NM back up to Washington State. We were not in a hurry so it took two days to get to Reno, where we stayed for four days and then two days to get from Reno to Washington State.

Those Reno gun stores and some of the pawn shops have some really, really nice stuff.

Any James, my oldest granddaughter (Priya, she is six years old and I believe she was sent to supervise this trip) and I accompanied our friend Tony, we stayed at KOA campgrounds as much as possible. Hey a cabin with a queen sized bed and two single bunk for $55 a night with a nice sized pool as well as a hottub for soaking old bones and the holy grail hot showers.

As I sat around the KOA campground felt like home (well not LA bayou home, but NM home), there was nothing but rocks, hills and arroyos. All we needed was a some snakes (rattle snakes would have been fantastic), maybe a Gila monster or two and life would be good. It might have helped that we were armed to the teeth and I was knocking back my only shot of Tequila per day and was passing out some Cuban cigars.

Shortly after we arrived, James got ansty and wanted to walk the area and once he finished he took off for the showers/latrine.

Priya, Tony and I watched him leave, I had noticed that Tony was not acting himself lately (since he returned from the PI with a new and younger wife.

So I asked Tony what was up, he hemmed and hawed a bit then asked me if James made me nervous.

Me: do you think James is some kind of monster or something?

Tony: Bish, we all know he is.

Priya: Pops, you know he is as well, maybe not a monster, but someone that is quick to take personal offense and likes to balance his payment due books. If you do not bother him or his, he will stand firm behind you till the end, bother him and well it will not end well.

Note to Self: I think I need to have a talk with Priya. Then again maybe not I had to down a lot of spare ammo and weapons out of her back pack.

Me: Tony has he ever bothered you? Has he ever stomped a mud hole in you for no reason or in fact any reason at all? The only reason you need to be worried about James is if you mess him over, then there really no place for you to hide. He is like me and likes to make sure all outstanding debts or dues are paid in full and sometimes with a little extra as well.

Tony: But, but you know he has issues right? No, he has never bothered me at all. But people talk, and well people tend to get really hurt bad around him.

Me: What you mean is that people who mess with him or his friends tend to get shall we say worked over a bit roughly and usually end up having a life changing experience and not in a good way.

Me: But what I want you to know is that you guys might be right, he might just be a monster, something that makes the weak kneed piss their collective panties. But he is my flesh and blood and well to put it bluntly he is our monster.a

Tony: But Priya is here with us, what if something happened.

Priya: Pops, tiyuhin Tony, tiyuhin James is what tiyuhin James is and Ate Susan told me that it is always better to have the monster in the camp with you and yours, rather than making the monster angry and having him running around the outside of your camp in the dark where you can not see what he is up too. Ate Lil told me that blood is blood, and you are either part of the pack or not, and those not of the pack tend to eventually get a after hours meeting with James and then problems go away for the rest of the pack. Tiyuhin James is a good man, otherwise why would his wife still be with him after all these years?.

Found out later it was Tony's new wife starting trouble in the family already, I am not sure who will do it, but someone is angling for a butt kicking of epic proportions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next