WTF? I just got burgled by a Possum

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rock2Fox

WTF? I just got burgled by a Possum

Post by Rock2Fox » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 pm

So about 5 minutes ago I was watching TV when I heard my cat munching away loudly in the kitchen on some hard food. Only problem was the cat was asleep on the couch. Luckily I had an XD .40 under a sofa pillow; I approached the kitchen and saw one mean looking possum in the middle of the fuckin' room. WTF? Inside my house? I live in suburbia. It had chewed its way up through a floor vent and gained access from the crawlspace underneath the house.

So I faced a decision. Execute it and have a massive clean up project and most likely the police knocking on my door in about 45 minutes, or make a shit load of noise and scare the little asshole off. I chose #2. I reeeaaallly wanted to choose #1, but cooler heads prevailed. I still can't believe that shit, I have had all all the usual pests in my home but never a possum.
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Re: WTF? I just got burgled by a Possum

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Possums are awesome. They are the world's only true Redneck Marsupial, and it's no shame to get PWNED by one.

Good on you for recognizing and respekin' teh possum power. Happens to the best of us.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:09 pm

You better make sure you fix everything. How it got under the house, then how it got in. Other critters will follow it's sent trail to see if there's anything interesting at the end of the trail. People with doggie doors have this problem all the time.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 pm

I think your neighbor found it....
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Rock2Fox

Post by Rock2Fox » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I boarded up his access point, as well as one other. I'll set a have-a-heart trap this weekend and then go from there.
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:15 am

You might want to look into getting a crossbow or a hunting bow to dispatch those fuckers without alerting the cops. You'll be surprised what kind of critters live even in most urban suburbs and make their way into people's houses. Coyottes, groundhogs, foxes, coons... all sort of shit.
Image Image

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:52 am

I stood down a cougar once while holding a big sharp rock and wasn't scared until afterwards.

Yet when a possum charged me I moved pretty darn quick to get out of his way. He scared the tar out of me. To this day I'm nervous when I see one of those buggers. In your place I'm not sure I'd have tried scaring him off until I had boots and motorcycle gear on to protect myself.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:28 am

I have heard, and tested in my locale with success, that you get one shot for free...just sayin'

Jamie

ps - don't break any of your local laws in the case that you do decide to use option #1
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:47 am

Most of the possums I've run across (or over :oops: ) were pretty harmless. Oh, they hiss at you and all but they aren't as dangerous as racoons. Nor do they carry rabies like coons do. Shoo them away (or whack them) with a broom.

Hatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Land of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hatch » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 am

Yeah, possums are funny, and they seem to have a fondness for cat food. We've got one who comes around every few nights to clean up the cat bowls on the back porch. The cats just give it a wide berth, and I pretend that the cats just eat a lot. None of us really want any trouble. :lol:

--Hatch
3d6. That's how I roll.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 am

My son saw his first possum while visiting my parents place down in warm country, and he turned to me and asked if it was a zombie cat... :lol:

It was all mangy looking and I couldn't help laughing, so that's what I think of now when I see them...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 am

I've used this in my bacement and back yard with no problem.
(With consent of local law enforcement) But it is real quiet.
Aguila .22 Super Colibri is super-quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20-grain bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps (11 foot-pounds) at the muzzle and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only. Simply some of the best ammo on the market today with a low noise rating.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM066-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:32 am

Make one of these http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48936. Reopen the holes. Test and report.
CALIFORNIA LINKS
California Chapter Discussion
SoCal - Event Planning

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

tilt

Post by tilt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Some CB short or longs are pretty quiet in the house. I keep my Henry .22 lever loaded with CB shorts and shoot racoons and possums with enough frequency to have gained proficiency. You just can't use the CB stuff in a semi-auto action. Also, snares and hav-a-hart traps work. Just bait with cat food... but you already knew that...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:35 pm

nfa wrote:My son saw his first possum while visiting my parents place down in warm country, and he turned to me and asked if it was a zombie cat... :lol:

It was all mangy looking and I couldn't help laughing, so that's what I think of now when I see them...

Jamie
I LOL'ed so hard at this I think I pulled a rib or two out of joint... :lol:

I would bait the live trap with the cat food. Or use the crunchy style Cheetos. I had a friend who used to do pest control and would go through a big bag of those every week baiting live traps for possum, woodchuck and skunks. He claimed the crunchy kind worked over the "puffy" style and was nearly 100% effective. Go figure.

We get possums around here on occasion and they are strange critters, to say the least. And they are surprisingly tough for their size.

Glad you used option #2. Option one could have had some bad consequences.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:51 pm

I used to have a possum problem when I lived out here in the country before...
The first litttle (or not so little- the damn thing was the size of a mid sized dog...freaking Texas...) beastie woke me up at oh dark 30 digging around in my garbage. This was before I owned any guns, so all I had to confront the monster was an aluminum baseball bat- it took the full Lizzy Borden to kill it (I gave him fourty whacks)- all the while this monster looking at me, trying to convince me we could talk about this.
A week later, two more of them broke in- this time I had a .22 semi-auto rifle that I'd borrowed from my dad. I walked up on the first one, gave him 2 to the body and one to the head- and he kept right on trying to eat my garbage can. I then pressed the muzzle against the little critter's head and popped him twice more before he decided to lay down and bleed out. I surprised the second wee beastie in the back bedroom and emptied the 10 round magazine into him from across the frigging room... and still he took about 30 seconds to drop.
Possums scare me- more than snakes, gators, or the zombie horde :shock:

tilt

Post by tilt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:02 pm

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

Possums are the tweakers and meth-heads of the animal kingdom...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Had a similiar experince in high school, but it was a racoon.

That night, my dad and I were removing the kitty door.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Down here in the south we have real possums ... they will bite and their bite is some kind of nasty. They have those teeth for a reason. They are as mean if not meaner than sewer rats and that takes some doing. Many of them no longer have any fear of humans ... racoons will at least run away from a little while, possums give you the finger and then continue doing whatever it was you interrupted them at. :roll:

They are not nice and fuzzy. They will bite house pets if they think there is food competition. I've seen a medium sized dog and a possum get in a fight ... and the possum won. Most dogs give possums a wide berth unless the dog is running in a pack of some type.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Possums can give a realy nasty bite. And they don't all play dead if you go after them. I had to rescue a few families at horrible hours of the am because they got into the house and won the showdown. Nasty smelly critters.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:44 pm

Woohoo! It's not just me!

Many of my friends that have seen me face some of the craziest stuff without flinching have trouble believing I'm extremely hesitant to tangle with a possum. They all claim possums are harmless and I must have some wierd neurosis over them.

Maybe it's cause they look like rats. I'm pretty nervous around rats too.

I think rats and possums make me more appreciative of guns than zombies do.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:49 pm

RoneKiln wrote:Woohoo! It's not just me!

Many of my friends that have seen me face some of the craziest stuff without flinching have trouble believing I'm extremely hesitant to tangle with a possum. They all claim possums are harmless and I must have some wierd neurosis over them.

Maybe it's cause they look like rats. I'm pretty nervous around rats too.

I think rats and possums make me more appreciative of guns than zombies do.
+1
Possums are the real reason I keep a round in the chamber around the house...

mtnfolk mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..

Post by mtnfolk mike » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:23 pm

ha.. possums are no joke... i tend to worry about coons much more.. we have a lot of them around here....
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:43 pm

I saw a opossum get run over by a car and after, he got up like it was no big deal and kept going across the road. The semi kinda finished him off though. That being said, 5.56 is the SMALLEST 1 round kill for those critters. That or 12 gauge. Lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, why did no one else correct it to opossum except me? Am I the only one that paid attention during the spelling portion of 4th grade..?
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Return to “Survival Experiences”