It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm 

I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

The building was wedged between two streets and therefore had residential housing on both sides. The fire was already spreading in to the neighboring yards so at 2AM we went door to door waking up families in endangered structures and telling them to get out of their houses immediately. Confused, suspicious, upset, sleepy, sometimes angry people they mostly were.

We were lucky, the only thing that was a total loss were the businesses in the building. Our fire department is actually good and they were quick that night. Out of five houses evacuated not one person grabbed a BOB. Not saying they couldn't have had one in their car but when they walked out of their houses, possibly for the last time, the only people carrying stuff were the kids with their favorite toys.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

The building was wedged between two streets and therefore had residential housing on both sides. The fire was already spreading in to the neighboring yards so at 2AM we went door to door waking up families in endangered structures and telling them to get out of their houses immediately. Confused, suspicious, upset, sleepy, sometimes angry people they mostly were.

We were lucky, the only thing that was a total loss were the businesses in the building. Our fire department is actually good and they were quick that night. Out of five houses evacuated not one person grabbed a BOB. Not saying they couldn't have had one in their car but when they walked out of their houses, possibly for the last time, the only people carrying stuff were the kids with their favorite toys.

You Probably scared them. You should smile more. :clownshoes:

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm 

My primary BOB is in the car, but right really need to do some home ones.

Thank you for sharing.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 pm 

Great point. I have a BOB in my car. That's my main one. I have gutted my home BOB. Really should get that up and running again.

Thanks!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Agreed thanks for the observation and feedback.

I am not sure I would be fully functioning at 2am after being awaken for such an event. I do keep a BOB in my car trunk. I think I would ok but I would not leave without my pets. That would pose the biggest impediment to a rapid bug out especially at 2am.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My family would probably look memorable with each member running out of the house with armloads of guns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 pm 

actually had something similar last night. we had a suprising amount of rain fall, leading to some local flooding.

Finding myself in about 2 foot water with sandbags and swift water rescue door knocking, the resident had two choices.
sandbags or evacuate.

An interesting night indeed

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017