It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hey all,

Well.... I finally finished up grad school and received my OTD. As I am prepping for my boards, I am looking at fun places to live as I hate my hometown. Currently, I'm thinking Appalachia as that's what I'm familiar with, but I also have a lot of experience in Alaska and a little experience out West.

So, anybody know of some super cool places to live. I'm looking at smaller hospitals or rehabs to work, so I will need some sort of population nearby.

I'm looking for a place that has awesome hunting, fishing, outdoors stuff, water stuff (JETSKIS!!!!), gun friendly, low taxes, and cool cars.

Any leads??

My top picks now are: Alaska, South Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona (northern where it's cooler)

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm 

Check out Missouri. Around, not in, Columbia is decent. Awesome deer and turkey hunting. Missouri river fishing as well as Lake of the Ozarks and Mark Twain Lake nearby. The Mississippi is a day trip away in Hannibal, St. Louis or Louisiana MO. St. Louis and Kansas city are day trip distances too. As long as you don't live in Columbia or Boone Co, taxes are low. Very gun friendly. Columbia has University Hospital, Boone Hospital and the VA. There are other nearby towns with smaller hospitals too like Moberly, Boonville, Jefferson City, Mexico and others I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

I'd cross Virginia off the low taxes list and add Tennessee instead. Pick the outskirts of any of the four big cities and you have plenty of rural with plenty of big city nearby. For medical jobs Nashville area is probably the best. Want mountains? Go closer to the Smokies.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 pm 

yossarian wrote:
Check out Missouri. Around, not in, Columbia is decent. Awesome deer and turkey hunting. Missouri river fishing as well as Lake of the Ozarks and Mark Twain Lake nearby. The Mississippi is a day trip away in Hannibal, St. Louis or Louisiana MO. St. Louis and Kansas city are day trip distances too. As long as you don't live in Columbia or Boone Co, taxes are low. Very gun friendly. Columbia has University Hospital, Boone Hospital and the VA. There are other nearby towns with smaller hospitals too like Moberly, Boonville, Jefferson City, Mexico and others I'm sure.

I was going to say this. My only complaint is it can get warm.

Wisconsin is cool. But the legislation could blow around a bit much. Still, western Wisconsin would be well worth looking at. LaCross is nice.

Nebraska has some good stuff in the Omaha area. The Iowa and Missouri sides have better taxes. Those in the know get houses on the other side and drive in to work, and rush hour sucks, but it sucks every place I've lived. Omaha sucks for both guns and taxes, but there is a lot of territory which is "not Omaha." South of Omaha you have a lot of cities which are large enough to fend off incorporation by the big city. And Nebraska has a metric F-Ton of people with suppressors, SBRs, SBSs, and I"ve been surprised how much FA and explosives are out here. It is a little nuts how I find these people. In general, they are government employees or former government employees.

Rochester, MN, might be a good place to look. Especially with Mayo clinic and lots of good local medical facilities. Rochester can be nice, but St. Paul may have bigger entertainment options.

I think Lake Okoboji, IA, would be worth looking at. They are a fantastic place to live. Iowa can be tricky if you want to own SBRs, SBSs, or FA (last I checked, you can't). But they recently allowed in suppressors in a bid to capture a certain vote last election. Also, Iowa has some limits on what rounds can be used to hunt deer. South Iowa has more options.

I feel Colorado would be worth a thought.

I have a friend who just got back from Flagstaff, AZ, and was very impressed. He feels it might be a preppers dream with a lot of diverse groups all with the common goal of self-sufficiency. Water sports might be limited though.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT:

Iowa and Nebraska, at least where I live, have limited public land for hunting. The best opportunities come from chatting with local farmers/land owners at church or the bar and generally being likable. I don't know about some of the other states listed above.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Last edited by woodsghost on Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:09 pm 

Check in with the folks at Providence Hosp - Seward. Last I checked for a buddy that's a PA, they included a place to live as part of the 'pay package'.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Seasonal variations in Colorado can be brutal and environmentally devastating. When it's hot, it's HOT, and when it snows, it can bring feet of wet, heavy snow that regularly takes roofs down.

Also, for those who care, Colorado has a magazine capacity law (limited at 15).
Stercutus wrote:
I'd cross Virginia off the low taxes list and add Tennessee instead. Pick the outskirts of any of the four big cities and you have plenty of rural with plenty of big city nearby. For medical jobs Nashville area is probably the best. Want mountains? Go closer to the Smokies.
Re: taxes, Virginia isn't a bad choice so long as you stay away from the northern part. Much, much more affordable in the central/southern/western parts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:37 pm 

Wester CO has quite a lot of hunting and fishing, is VERY gun friendly and Grand Junction has a pretty good sized hospital and a decent overlander presence if that is your scene, but watersports is pretty conspicuously absent. Up in the mountains is a lot of fun, but the high-desert semi-aridness of it was not for me.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 am 

Quote:
Re: taxes, Virginia isn't a bad choice so long as you stay away from the northern part. Much, much more affordable in the central/southern/western parts.

True, but Tennessee is 48th out of 50 for tax burden. Only Alaska and Delaware are lower. Alaska relies on oil riches and Delaware relies on corporate taxes to carry the load.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

First, congratulations on successfully completing an advanced degree. Well done.
Second, check out Princeton, WV.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 am 

There's parts of Montana that hit all those bulletpoints. Good hunting and fishing all over the place, some good lakes, a surprisingly active hot-rodding community and hospitals that are desperately trying to recruit people...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 am 

yossarian wrote:

I can second Missouri. Gun laws are good and taxes aren't to bad. I'm a Missouri boy born and bred and like he said its good hunting and fishing. Hell I filled my turkey hunting quota this morning with a locomotive :D . It has River fishing, several large lakes such as Lake of the Ozarks, Smithville for bass catfish, crappie etc, Lake Taneycomo, Bennet Springs, Rockbridge and Roaring River Township for fly fishing and trout. Most of these places, and more state wide, allow water sports.

As far as hunting we've got everything from trapping badgers, beavers, coyotes etc, to hunting deer, pheasant, ducks, turkey and much more. We've got some pretty good public land to use as well, and some fantastic private land that you can if you're lucky, get access to...

Arizona is another good choice. Taxes are good, gun laws are great. It can be a bit lawless in places, so if you don't carry I suggest starting :D .
I spent 10 years there after high school, went for college, stayed for the tequila and college girls :clap: .
But in all seriousness the only down side for hunting there is if you want to hunt big game, i.e. antelope, black bear, buffalo, desert bighorn sheep, elk, javelina, turkey, mountain lion, mule deer, and white-tailed deer, you must apply for a permit. I never got a single tag in the 5 years I tried before I gave up. You can however, last time I checked, still buy a mountain lion tag right over the counter.

Fishing is good if you don't mind traveling. Near Phoenix is Roosevelt Lake which is full of white bass, striped bass, and catfish. Lake Havasu State Park, which is about an hour west of Kingman, Az, is where they film(ed) Girls Gone Wild and is full of smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, and striped bass. Patagonia Lake State Park, an hour or so from Tuscon, is full of bass, flathead catfish, channel catfish, crappie, and bluegill. There's probably 10-12 more places to fish there.

Az also fits your water sports, cool cars quota. Be aware though Where Missouri can be hot and muggy at times, and blistering cold others, Arizona is either Hotter than the 7th level of hell, or not at all. There is no in between.

Az also has winter stuff such as snowboarding, etc around Flagstaff, one of the few places to get snow regularly.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:58 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

RonnyRonin wrote:
Wester CO has quite a lot of hunting and fishing, is VERY gun friendly and Grand Junction has a pretty good sized hospital and a decent overlander presence if that is your scene, but watersports is pretty conspicuously absent. Up in the mountains is a lot of fun, but the high-desert semi-aridness of it was not for me.

Let's be real if you go to the Front Range here in CO it's

Expensive
Over crowded
Roads poorly maintained
i-70 is a nightmare all winter if you want to ski and will be BAD on the Friday 'get-away' in summer.
Gun laws some nasty stuff is hovering on the horizon with the influx of certain people swinging the state in one direction whereby a Governor candidate is proposing AWBs....

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 pm 

East Idaho (Idaho Falls, Pocatello) has a couple 50-60k population towns, I know they just announced an expansion in the Pocatello hospital and are hiring around 35 new doctors and a bunch of staff. Plenty of local outdoors stuff to do in the immediate area, and it's a short drive to lots of outlying areas (Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Salmon, Targhee, etc...).

Relatively low cost of living, big enough town to have all the shopping you need, but plenty of rural area that's easily accessible.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:59 pm 

Congrats on the degree ( although since you're basically asking strangers about critical life choices,,, umm never mind :clownshoes: ) Anyway Can't really say where you should go. But you probably should scratch Kansas right off your list. For a variety of reasons
First and foremost . I live here and that can't be good.
The only mountain is kinda just a higher spot. As in HEY I'm ON TOP OF MT HOPE AND FROM HERE I CAN SEE... over my little sister
We do have decent fishing . And the hunting is ok, unless you don't mind if your trophy deer go moo. Then it positively spectacular.
No real forests, lot of wind( F-5) In fact most of western Kansas really doesn't have much trees.
But the people here are quite friendly . In fact sometimes too friendly. Specially if you are a sheep. ( a lonely sheep_)
So all in all Good luck on your search for a new home . Sorry this isn't what you're looking for. :awesome:

actual Kansas street view

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8750419,-96.8530403,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHXS8LYtenS2RToAISHWdEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
People drive for hours to get here. And then turn around and go home. Good times..

ETA Just kidding. If you turn the map view the opposite direction you can see that it's actually a happening place

John Titor was right

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:32 pm 

the_alias wrote:
Let's be real if you go to the Front Range here in CO it's

Expensive
Over crowded
Roads poorly maintained
i-70 is a nightmare all winter if you want to ski and will be BAD on the Friday 'get-away' in summer.
Gun laws some nasty stuff is hovering on the horizon with the influx of certain people swinging the state in one direction whereby a Governor candidate is proposing AWBs....

Certainly the front range doesn't seem to meet any of his requirements, but like many states one half might as well be on a different planet from the other. State wide AWB could be a potential problem but even in the worst case the Western Slope won't enforce them.
Oregon is very much in the same boat, on the ground it is very gun friendly but the urban centers are bordering on pushing through some very restrictive laws. I think CO beats OR slightly on taxes, but not in a meaningful way.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:11 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Hey all,

Well.... I finally finished up grad school and received my OTD. As I am prepping for my boards, I am looking at fun places to live as I hate my hometown. Currently, I'm thinking Appalachia as that's what I'm familiar with, but I also have a lot of experience in Alaska and a little experience out West.

So, anybody know of some super cool places to live. I'm looking at smaller hospitals or rehabs to work, so I will need some sort of population nearby.

I'm looking for a place that has awesome hunting, fishing, outdoors stuff, water stuff (JETSKIS!!!!), gun friendly, low taxes, and cool cars.

Any leads??

My top picks now are: Alaska, South Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona (northern where it's cooler)

First, a big congrats on finishing Grad School!!! I know how draining it can be, I completed my degree 2 years ago. I'm still looking for a decent PhD program that doesn't require on campus time since I am an 'adult learner', lol. Like I got all 3 of my degrees from PSU, but they require 2 semesters on campus. I really can't do that.

Second... SC, really? Hmm.

Dude, I LOVE IT HERE IN SC!!! Gators are the only real drawback. Inland far enough and you'll be fine. Lots of great state and federal parks here. 3 areas you may want to check out are:
- Anderson/Greenville/Spartanberg (they kind of all run together, also near Clemson if you like NCAA Sports)
- Rock Hill
- Florence

These are not the 'big cities' in SC (Charleston Metro and Columbia Metro) but should be big enough for your needs. Myrtle Beach is mostly tourism stuff for families and golfing, same-ish for Hilton Head.

I'm not sure where you live now (besides, Yo Momma's House), just keep this in mind, "The South" is kind of different. Be Patient. :) Usually, nothing happens quickly :)

Also I use to live in Eastern PA and everything you seem to like is there. Plenty of smaller population cities/town with aging populations. Think ABE (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton), Reading, Harrisburg, York, Lebanon, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Staying from Central PA to Eastern will keep you in the Appalachians. We use to say "Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Kentucky in the middle, hence Pennsyltucky."
Seriously, look at a state game lands map:
http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HUNTTRAP/STATEGAM ... fault.aspx
State parks:
http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/stateparks/Pages/default.aspx

Most of the old ZCH45 have bailed on these boards or they could have added more about SC. Sorry.

BEST OF LUCK!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

TacAir wrote:
Check in with the folks at Providence Hosp - Seward. Last I checked for a buddy that's a PA, they included a place to live as part of the 'pay package'.

I'm actually very familiar with Prov Hospital in Anchorage and their big competitor. I don't think I wanna venture too far from Anchorage and the surrounding valley, but I'll have to check a few other leads there.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:

I really like TN... only problem is it is one of the few areas where there is a surplus of OTs so getting a job is tough in Nashville and Memphis. But I am not against being out of town.

Plus, I heard Nashville is jacking up their sales tax to pay for a train or something. I have some buddies from there that were telling me, if I remember

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
Congrats on the degree ( although since you're basically asking strangers about critical life choices,,, umm never mind :clownshoes: ) Anyway Can't really say where you should go. But you probably should scratch Kansas right off your list.

HAHAHA it's a good thing I'm asking for advice and didn't create a poll. Because a poll on here is legally binding.

And I've been living in Indiana for about 2 years so I'm over the flat MidWest... at least for now hahaha, so no worries about being tempted with Kansas..

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

NamelessStain wrote:

First, a big congrats on finishing Grad School!!! I know how draining it can be, I completed my degree 2 years ago. I'm still looking for a decent PhD program that doesn't require on campus time since I am an 'adult learner', lol. Like I got all 3 of my degrees from PSU, but they require 2 semesters on campus. I really can't do that.

I'm actually very familiar with Pittsburgh and Penn State (State College) areas and the Stroudsburg/Pocono areas. Like, VERY familiar hahaha.

PA may be in the cards, but so far that's kinda boring to me now since I'm so familiar with it as I've lived all around the state. One thing I'd miss though, is Yuengling beer and Creamery Ice Cream...

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:17 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

HEY ALL, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!!

I'm gonna hafta check out Missouri. I did like the Netflix show Ozark, afterall.

CO is pretty much off the list. Too many Subarus and Patagonia jackets for me. If I'm gonna subject myself to that, I'm going to AK where there are bigger moose, less taxes, and reality TV shows.

I may check out Montana and Idaho. I've looked into them in the past when I was looking at schools years ago, but it's been a while.

It's a shame that my ideal location does not exist: I want to hunt hogs with my AR while riding my JetSki in a cheap area that's not too hot but not too cold.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 pm 

roOism wrote:
East Idaho (Idaho Falls, Pocatello) has a couple 50-60k population towns, I know they just announced an expansion in the Pocatello hospital and are hiring around 35 new doctors and a bunch of staff. Plenty of local outdoors stuff to do in the immediate area, and it's a short drive to lots of outlying areas (Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Salmon, Targhee, etc...).

Relatively low cost of living, big enough town to have all the shopping you need, but plenty of rural area that's easily accessible.

I haven't seen anyone recommend Boise. If I were starting out I would consider Boise. Except for a fun-n-happening night-life and a conspicuous scarcity of caffeine -it seems like a great place with almost unlimited outdoor options, a good economy and very 2A friendly laws.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Florida or Texas for taxes and plenty of work. Born and raised in FL, but Tx is my home now, and I feel a lot more comfortable here for some reason if everything goes sideways. Nice to be somewhere that’s pretty much ready to self-govern anyway, and has the infrastructure/resources to operate somewhat independently.

More work...and access to water...in FL I suppose, and I do miss beach living, so there’s that.

Both very 2A friendly, even with recent events in Fl.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:06 am 

NamelessStain wrote:

Dude, I LOVE IT HERE IN SC!!! Gators are the only real drawback.

And the humidity. Dear God the humidity.

Today's a nice day though. Temps only into the lower 90's upper 80's and we're a a veritable dry 80% humidity.

;) In the 3 areas mentioned, you should be safe from the humidity...

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.