It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Product : Sun Chips Original 100% Whole Grain
Best By Date : 8/26/2010
Opened : 5/14/2016
Unopened bag that had fallen behind a storage shelf in the garage.

A little air remained inside the bag. Smell was mostly neutral with a hint of chemicals. I began the experiment by stuffing 4 large chips directly into my food chomper. I gagged immediately, and tilted my head and held my mouth open so that it would fall out by gravity. If a baby seal fetus washed up on shore after soaking in gulf-spilled oil for months and then baked in the sun for about a week before being picked up by some beachcomber who buried it in his or her mulch pile where it was infested with worms and grubs and then staked out on a piece of rusty aluminum to dry to a crisp hardness with a light coating of dr scholls foot powder and a hint of iodine and then spit upon by 40 heavy smokers and served with a 3 day old pork chop grease coating and the dusty remains of an old ash tray that might include dried vomit from a metro bus station I would begin to close in on a description. Eating the rest of the bag was a challenge.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:49 pm 

Campbells chicken noodle soup exp june 2012. had this yesterday with a corned beef sandwich from another best by 2011 can for dinner. both were fine.

tonight, Hormel Chili, exp date Nov 2013, still tasty.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:45 pm 

MRE Menu 4
Cheese & Vegetable Omelet
8220 (2008)
Inspect date July 2011

The rest of the case was fine. I ate them over the last 6 or 8 months or so.
Menu #4 kind of scared me so I figured I would eat it at home where it was not the only meal choice I had at the time or not eat it at all.

I tried it for breakfast at about 9am.
Omelet was a bit discolored had a brown tint to it but since the cheese packets get that way I covered it with mre salsa verde and took a small bite.
Tasted as good as an mre omelet was going to taste so I at it all along with the rest of the mre throughout the morning.

Ate a normal lunch and supper along with the family.

All was well until 2:30 am
Had extreme gas, cramps and diarrhea.
None of the family had a similar problem.
Did not feel well the entire next day but managed to go to work.
Did not feel great the next day either but a little better.
All was fine on the third day.

I would not eat that again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 am 

Dinty Moore beef stew, exp 2013

Looked really weird, had solidified into a can shaped greasy rock. Tossed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:23 pm 

Product: Cheap White Rice
Consume by date: Before a significant percentage of ZS'rs were born

I had stored some rice and other things back in '86, right after getting married. I had put everything in Used cookie tins, labelled and dated them, and sealed the lids with paraffin wax. They sat on a shelf in an unheated building for 30 Minnesota hot summers and cold winters. The building is infested with mice, bugs, and bats. There was a roof leak about 12 years back which introduced dissolved bat shit to most of the stuff stored there. Ever see the lead bullets dissolve out of .22 cartridges? Anyway, I decided to throw some of this old stuff out, having installed some really nice underground food caches recently. As I was discarding things, I decided to have a look inside some of the containers. The tins were now rusty, with pinholing through the metal just beginning to occur. When I opened the rice, I noticed that it still looked good, albeit a bit yellower than original color. It seemed to smell OK. I then realized that this was my chance to either immortalize or sacrifice myself for science by eating 30 year old rice. I cooked some up and it smelled and tasted great. It cooked tender in about the same length of boiling time as new stuff. There were no ill effects. Think of how long this stuff could last if kept at underground temperatures.

There was another container of riced stored in the same location, which was in reclosable bags inside the tin, rather than loose. It was as white as it was when it was fresh. The poly bags, however were sticky from age.

The 30 year old powdered milk stored the same way was now a dark brown, foul-smelling, stone-like material. I did not try it. It took a couple of days to get that smell out of my nose.

I nibbled a few 30 year old mashed potato flakes and they seemed OK.

The 30 year old yellow split peas stored in the same manner looked and smelled OK. I intend to see how hard it is to soak and cook them when I get the chance. I have heard that legumes get progressively more difficult to rehydrate with age. Now I have the chance to put that to the test.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:26 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Klaus Tritium wrote:
I then realized that this was my chance to either immortalize or sacrifice myself for science by eating 30 year old rice.

I'm really glad this was as successful as it was :)

Thank you for your devotion to SCIENCE!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:14 pm 

About six months ago I came across a forgotten food cache that had been resting in stasis for at least eight years. Got mixed into my camping supplies somehow and we haven't been camping for over nine years because reasons, and I was sorting stuff prior to taking it to a new storage rental. Oh, and did I mention that I really didn't know jack about how to create a real food cache then? (And I'm still learning today...)

The sugar was still sugary and the salt was still salty. The oatmeal had been contaminated by bugs somehow (must've already existed in box because it went from open box to ziploc - but not vacuum sealed.) The flour smelled odd... it may have worked but I decided not to try it.

Can't remember the rest of the box and salvaged nothing but the sugar and salt... except... the Taster's Choice coffee. It had gotten moisture contamination into it. All that was left was a hard black tarry residue molded onto the plastic, about 10% or so of the volume left. I can't remember why I opened it, but I guess I felt compelled. That was mistake #1. Mistake #2 was I opened it indoors. Now I've smelled fresh skunk spray many times. I've smelled liquified dead insects (probably flies) that must've been dead six months. I've never smelled anything as putrid as eight year old residue of Taster's Choice. Immediate gag reflex and I wonder if there wasn't some very toxic byproducts at work. When I cranked the lid back on the smell backed off from emanating (ie when I was outside I didn't smell it,) but the stench of it lasted where I opened the container for some hours, even after using air freshener. (And this is a re-reminder that I need to buy some Ozium.) And I swear I was still smelling the echo of it a day later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:38 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Meijer store brand taco shells
Best by - 12/2014
Opened - Yesterday (6/27/16)
result - rancid - smelled off (not pukingly bad but off) when opened, only got stronger when put in oven to crisp for 5 min. Actually tasted bad. Could've forced myself to eat if hungry but as it was I spit it* out and declared nachos instead of tacos.

Taco Bell brand taco shells
best by - 8/2015
opened - today (6/29/16)
slightly stale. Tasted fine after crisping in oven for 5 min. Eaten with no ill effects.

tl;dr = hard taco shells are probably good for 1 year past dates but not 2 years past dates.

*I've eaten old nuts that were starting to go slightly rancid, they're fine, I'm not picky about that kind of taste so when I say I spit it out it was kinda vile.

LaughingVulcan wrote:
The sugar was still sugary and the salt was still salty. The oatmeal had been contaminated by bugs somehow (must've already existed in box because it went from open box to ziploc - but not vacuum sealed.)
Bugs, god bless 'em, can sometimes chew thru plastic bags. Ask me how I know. :gonk: Tho if the bag was still airtight then I'm sure you're right that's where they came from. And yeah, no actual expiration on salt & sugar if dry...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:51 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Soreen malt loaf:
A heavy, sticky, chewy bread-like product popular with outdoor types since it travels fairly well (it gets squashed easily but remains edible) and has a relatively high energy density (a 320g, approx. 11oz, loaf contains 900 calories mostly complex carbohydrate). One of my friends who runs mountain marathons has been known to call malt loaf "the breakfast of champions", although you might doubt his judgement since he chooses to run mountain marathons ...

Anyway, I found this example lurking in the store cupboard while looking for mushroom soup.

Best before date: 14th March 2016.
Opened: today, 24th July 2016.
Observations: the malt loaf is dense, soft, brown, sticky and smells of malt. In other words, it's exactly as I would expect malt loaf to be, which is a bit of a surprise as its nominal life is 3-4 weeks from purchase. Having said that I've eaten many before which have been a few weeks past their date and they've all been OK too.

I have cut two generous slices, buttered and eaten them. I'm expecting no ill effects but if any do occur I'll be sure to let you know :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hey Everybody:

That looks good. Are those raisins in there?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:11 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

MPMalloy wrote:
Hey Everybody:
That looks good. Are those raisins in there?

Oh yes, those are raisins. I've since eaten another slice (hey, I was peckish) and still no adverse effects :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm 

Product : Ramen Noodles, regular square package, numerous flavors
Best By Date : 11/13- 11/14
Prepared : 11/16

Taste = Normal
Ill effects = None

It is noodles with a package of seasoning thrown in. No special storage at all. I prepare them a little differently then directions. I use less water and boil to all the water is gone. The noodles are more done, less soggy and have more flavor.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:52 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Product : Kiwi fruit, store brand
Best Before Date : 23rd September
Eaten: Today

Taste = Normal
Ill effects = None (so far)

So I bought a (ventilated plastic) bag of six kiwi fruit and promptly forgot I had them. I found them all at the weekend and was surprised that they hadn't gone mouldy or turned to mush.

In fact they tasted pretty good, given that they're soft fruit and two months past their Best Before date!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm 

Product: Planters Creamy Peanut Butter
Best-by date: March of 2012 :shock:
Eaten: Today

Taste/texture/etc: Sat in the bottom of a box, unopened, until I found it today. Ran out of my Adams so it had to do. Seal was still good. Looked normal, smelled normal, tasted normal so I made 3 PB&J sammiches and they're all tasty. A bit saltier than normal but not bad. No ill effects (yet)

Will report back if I die.

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Found in the back of the pantry. Best if purchased by December 2015. What to do?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Chow down. Report back.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:39 am 

Product: Kirkland Signature Organic Southwestern Black Bean Soup
Best-by date: 06/15
Date opened: 12/18/16

Upon opening the carton that the soup was packaged in, I smelled no off odors, but the inside of the box and the surface of the soup had a lot of stringy, slimy-looking foam. More foam than seemed normal for a product containing beans. The carton had come out of a box of similar cartons. None of the cartons looked swollen, but they were somewhat flexible aseptic boxes rather than rigid cans so it was hard to tell. I decided to dispose of all of the soup rather than risk botulism.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:51 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Asymetryczna wrote:
Found in the back of the pantry. Best if purchased by December 2015. What to do?

It's Branston pickle. It'll be fine.

Towanda wrote:
Product: Kirkland Signature Organic Southwestern Black Bean Soup
Best-by date: 06/15
Date opened: 12/18/16

Upon opening the carton that the soup was packaged in, I smelled no off odors, but the inside of the box and the surface of the soup had a lot of stringy, slimy-looking foam. More foam than seemed normal for a product containing beans. The carton had come out of a box of similar cartons. None of the cartons looked swollen, but they were somewhat flexible aseptic boxes rather than rigid cans so it was hard to tell. I decided to dispose of all of the soup rather than risk botulism.

Good call on that one. Cartons aren't always as reliable as metal cans.

And you've reminded me, it's that time of the year. I need to dig this jar back out of my cupboard!

From 12 months ago:
sheddi wrote:
Product: Somerfield mincemeat
Best By: 11/1998
Consumed: 24/12/2015

Would you believe I can't find a picture of 18-year-old mincemeat? This picture is similar.

A part-used jar of mincemeat, bought probably eighteen years ago (it was in the post-Christmas sales, so I'm guessing January 1998) and used intermittently since. It has moved house with me once.

I doubt I'll get to bake before Friday, but will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:46 pm 

How did it go?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:21 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

zombiepreparation wrote:
How did it go?

Well, I'm not dead yet!

Sorry, cpmpletely forgot that I'd promised to give this thread an update. They baked OK and tasted as good as they always do :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 pm 

So I have had a pouch of the Old El Paso ready to eat Chicken Queso Tortilla stuffer in the cupboards for a while. Last weekend I was home alone and wondering what to have for lunch. I grabbed the pouch and checked the date. Good until June 2016. I can't find a picture of the particular meal, but this had beans, rice, chili's and chicken in it. They come in mylar pouch and are meant to be microwaved. They usually have about a 6 month shelf life I think.
Well this was past by about 6 months but what the heck!

I micro-waved it, opened it and took a smell, It seemed ok so I put it on a couple of tortilla shells and ate it. The taste was OK. A few hours later my stomach felt a little funny but I can't be sure that the meal was the cause. In any event no adverse side effects.

I don't know if these are still available or not, but I would probably make a point to use them up closer to the expiration date next time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:02 pm 

I luv my Spam. (island living instilled this in me) Plain Original only please. I slowly collect cans and single serving pkts of it in my preps.

Going through single serving pkt use-by dates a few days ago I found one use-by two years ago. No crinkles in packaging, no tears, no swelling. I assume single serving packets to be less durable and less longer term keepable. Tore it open, looked it over, smelled it. Didn't notice anything. Ate a tiny nibble to test it on myself, putting the rest in fridge for later consumption or garbage depending on reaction/no reaction to the nibble.

Two hours and no negative reaction. Consumed rest of packet. No negative reaction then either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Product: La Tierra Fina Wild Smoked Salmon Dip & Spread
Storage: Mostly refrigerated
Best by: 3/15/17
Finished: 3/27/17

Tastes yummy. Maybe a little thicker and drier than when it was full. Been eating on it for weeks.

Up next: La Tierra Fina Chunky Jalapeno & Artichoke dip
Storage: Mostly refrigerated
Best by: 3/09/17
Finished: We got a ways to go on this tub o' calories. I'll let y'all know if I die.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 am 

Starkist tuna, exp date 2015./

Looked smelled fine. Made 2 sammiches, still very tasty, no ill effects 2 days later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next