It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:41 am 

Product: Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Best By: 3/17/2011
Consumed: 11/18/2015

Sensory: Appeared Normal

Results: Made into "Beef Stroganoff" over noodles. Everything was fine.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 pm 

Product: Hormel Fully Cooked Bacon (In resealable 72 slice bag)
Prepare or Freeze by Date: 5/7/2015
Consumed: 11/23/2015

It had been stored with other bags of bacon in our Minnesota basement at room temp since purchase.

It looked good and smelled great. Tasted great, too.

So far I have eaten about half of it with no ill effects.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:59 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Well folks, I had one get me. Next time I'll be smarter. Maybe. :-)

Product: Mulberries, picked fresh and frozen, thawed and put into a cobbler
Best-By Date: A week ago?
Consumed: 11.28.15

Last spring I picked mulberries in my yard every day for a few weeks. I got about a handful a day, would rinse them, dry them and toss them in a container in the freezer. I ate a couple dozen raw over the days I picked them. I was only getting a handful a day, the plan was to save them up until I had enough for a pie.

I needed to make room in my freezer for some venison so I pulled the berries out, planning on making something with them a week ago. They had been thawed for 8 or 9 days when I got around to doing something with them. I plucked the stems, ate 5 or 6 while I was doing that and mixed up the rest in a cobbler.

Sensory Observations:
The berries looked good, lots were soft. There was some purple liquid in the bottom of the container. They looked and smelled normal, except for the liquid (which I thought was mostly frost that melted) and not being as firm as when I froze them.

Results:
Lots of bathroom emergencies, starting about an hour or 90 minutes after I ate the raw ones. Violent and frequent diarrhea and a 4 - 5 instances of vomiting. There was a moment where I was expelling from both ends simultaneously, I'm very glad my bathtub is right next to the toilet. Those effects lasted about 8 hours, and 14 hours later I'm still unsettled, but able to mostly suppress emergency bathroom visits.

If this was the zombacalypse, I'd have been mostly out of commission for a dozen hours and would have used up a lot of my hygiene items. I can't imagine how much it would have sucked if I didn't have running water on hand.

I am not planning on eating the cobbler now.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:51 am 

PistolPete wrote:

You should! That way we can tell if the poisons baked off or not!

:clownshoes:
Glad your OK though!

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 pm 

PistolPete wrote:
Well folks, I had one get me. Next time I'll be smarter. Maybe.

Product: Mulberries, picked fresh and frozen, thawed and put into a cobbler
Best-By Date: A week ago?
Consumed: 11.28.15

Last spring I picked mulberries in my yard every day for a few weeks. I got about a handful a day, would rinse them, dry them and toss them in a container in the freezer. I ate a couple dozen raw over the days I picked them. I was only getting a handful a day, the plan was to save them up until I had enough for a pie.

I needed to make room in my freezer for some venison so I pulled the berries out, planning on making something with them a week ago. They had been thawed for 8 or 9 days when I got around to doing something with them. I plucked the stems, ate 5 or 6 while I was doing that and mixed up the rest in a cobbler.

Sensory Observations:
The berries looked good, lots were soft. There was some purple liquid in the bottom of the container. They looked and smelled normal, except for the liquid (which I thought was mostly frost that melted) and not being as firm as when I froze them.

Results:
Lots of bathroom emergencies, starting about an hour or 90 minutes after I ate the raw ones. Violent and frequent diarrhea and a 4 - 5 instances of vomiting. There was a moment where I was expelling from both ends simultaneously, I'm very glad my bathtub is right next to the toilet. Those effects lasted about 8 hours, and 14 hours later I'm still unsettled, but able to mostly suppress emergency bathroom visits.

If this was the zombacalypse, I'd have been mostly out of commission for a dozen hours and would have used up a lot of my hygiene items. I can't imagine how much it would have sucked if I didn't have running water on hand.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Here's another shifty old-food character I found waiting to cause trouble...

It didn't actually have an expiration date stamped on it (none of that particular flat of green beans did) and I'm not great at figuring out the manufacture date from the codes on the can. But we'd eaten the rest of the flat when it was at least a few years, if not several years old (as best I can reconstruct I bought it within the last decade, probably on the order of 5-7 years ago.) This can was a failure of rotation, found it hiding back on a shelf.

My first clue was that when I picked it up, I happened to notice the top seemed a little funny - and when I poked it, the top moved in and out in a way that a different can did not. It wasn't 'bulging' per se, but the seal had definitely been broken. The can on the left subtly but definitely isn't pulled in by vacuum the way the one on the right is.

On closer inspection, found another sign of seal breach. I might have just thought it was dirt if I hadn't noticed the loss of seal.

Threw this straight in the trash without opening. Botulism is a toxin issue. The toxin can be destroyed by high heat (rolling boil x10 min) but there's just no need to take a chance. You're supposed to double-plastic bag the (hopefully intact!) can and tape it shut, then take it out of the house where pets&kids can't get into mischief with it. They suggest wearing gloves but since I had already picked up the can but it wasn't opened or spilled I didn't do that.

Instructions on disposal and cleanup of spilled/opened bad canned goods here.
http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/botulism/consumers.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

duodecima wrote:
Here's another shifty old-food character I found waiting to cause trouble...

It didn't actually have an expiration date stamped on it (none of that particular flat of green beans did) and I'm not great at figuring out the manufacture date from the codes on the can. But we'd eaten the rest of the flat when it was at least a few years, if not several years old (as best I can reconstruct I bought it within the last decade, probably on the order of 5-7 years ago.) This can was a failure of rotation, found it hiding back on a shelf.

My first clue was that when I picked it up, I happened to notice the top seemed a little funny - and when I poked it, the top moved in and out in a way that a different can did not. It wasn't 'bulging' per se, but the seal had definitely been broken. The can on the left subtly but definitely isn't pulled in by vacuum the way the one on the right is.

On closer inspection, found another sign of seal breach. I might have just thought it was dirt if I hadn't noticed the loss of seal.

Threw this straight in the trash without opening. Botulism is a toxin issue. The toxin can be destroyed by high heat (rolling boil x10 min) but there's just no need to take a chance. You're supposed to double-plastic bag the (hopefully intact!) can and tape it shut, then take it out of the house where pets&kids can't get into mischief with it. They suggest wearing gloves but since I had already picked up the can but it wasn't opened or spilled I didn't do that.

Instructions on disposal and cleanup of spilled/opened bad canned goods here.
http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/botulism/consumers.html

Great catch. Was good you situationally aware of you food s packaging. I remember one time as a child opening a can of Alpo and it spraying all over the place. What a mess and the risk of poisoning i could have incurred.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:57 pm 

Product : ABUELITA (Tablillas Autenticas de Chocolate Mexicano)
Date : 1/1/14
Opened : 12/13/15
Stored in original wrapper and original carton. From the market to the kitchen shelf.

Add 1 tablet to 4 cups fresh milk per instructions.

Results - Yummy goodness. The tablet was as hard as a rock, but even new, they are 'quite firm'

A product of Nestle de SA. I grew up in SoAz, right on the border for the most part. I love this stuff. Nestle has a good QC program and I don't worry on most of the foods I buy Hencho en Mexico. I suspect this stuff is good for many more years if a bit of care is taken to protect from moisture.

To me, the taste is far better than any of the quick brands sold in the US, but if you have never tasted non-US chocolate, you are missing a treat...

Check the ethnic isles in your big-box stores, this stuff shows up from time to time, even here in Alaska.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:25 pm 

TacAir wrote:
Product : ABUELITA (Tablillas Autenticas de Chocolate Mexicano)
Date : 1/1/14
Opened : 12/13/15
Stored in original wrapper and original carton. From the market to the kitchen shelf.

Add 1 tablet to 4 cups fresh milk per instructions.

Results - Yummy goodness. The tablet was as hard as a rock, but even new, they are 'quite firm'

A product of Nestle de SA. I grew up in SoAz, right on the border for the most part. I love this stuff. Nestle has a good QC program and I don't worry on most of the foods I buy Hencho en Mexico. I suspect this stuff is good for many more years if a bit of care is taken to protect from moisture.

To me, the taste is far better than any of the quick brands sold in the US, but if you have never tasted non-US chocolate, you are missing a treat...

Check the ethnic isles in your big-box stores, this stuff shows up from time to time, even here in Alaska.

That stuff is fantastic!! I always keep a few cases on hand, because the grandkids drink it like water and well it is my favorite as well. Well I have more than a few, but it rotates pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:44 pm 

I discovered a jar of blueberry jam in the back of a cabinet the other day, expired July 06. Decided that another 6 month wouldn't hurt, so I left it there to open when it hit's the even ten years ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:15 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Here's a double experience for you, all thanks to seasonal home-baked foods ...

Product: Atora Light shredded vegetable suet
Best By: 12/2012
Consumed: 24/12/2015

A brand new, sealed packet of vegetable suet, bought probably four years ago. Mrs Sheddi was doubtful but I was game to try it :)

Sensory: Looked OK. Smelled OK. Tasted normal (by the standards of blended vegetable-oil-and-wheat-flour).

Product: Somerfield mincemeat
Best By: 11/1998
Consumed: 24/12/2015

Would you believe I can't find a picture of 18-year-old mincemeat? This picture is similar.

A part-used jar of mincemeat, bought probably eighteen years ago (it was in the post-Christmas sales, so I'm guessing January 1998) and used intermittently since. It has moved house with me once.

Sensory: Looked OK. Smelled OK. Didn't taste it (such was my confidence).

Results: The vegetable suet was used with flour, shortening (hard margarine) and salt to make shortcrust pastry, which was in turn used with the mincemeat to make mince pies.

I've only had one so far but that was three hours ago and no ill effects have occurred so far. Plus it tasted lovely :)

------
The rest of this post is a bit of background on mince pies.

They're a traditional British Christmas food, which means they start appearing in the supermarket in September and are available through until the Easter stock usurps them in January. They can be open, closed or not-quite-either like these ones:

According to mostly-reliable newspaper The Daily Telegraph in 2009 one British retailer (a minor seller of food, at that) sold 18 million mince pies.

A BBC documentary I once watched, and confirmed by Wikipedia, said that in the Dark Ages mince pies were made with minced meat, spiced with exotic substances from The Orient. As trade routes developed and Oriental spices became more prevalent the meat content decreased and was progressively replaced by dried fruit, until by Victorian times the pies were sweet rather than savoury and contained no meat at all.

According to the ingredients list, my 1998-vintage mincemeat contains:
sugar, apples, currants, sultanas, orange & lemon peel, vegetable fat, acetic acid, rice flour, spices, salt
... and is almost 65% sugars by weight.

Given that it is essentially a dried fruit jam I'm not at all surprised that it has lasted this long without going off!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:10 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Mmm, sounds good!

I've forgotten to post a few lately.

sweetened shredded coconut - use by 12/2014
bulk low-sugar dried mango - use/freeze by 12/2013
stored in kitchen cabinets in opened original packaging.

Both cooked with quickoats for 2 min. Eaten 5 times last week, very tasty, no issues.

Canola oil - store brand, expired 11/2013
Unsweetened chocolate - use by 12/2013
stored in basement in sealed original packaging.

chocolate is slightly dry on the outside of the blocks, otherwise completely normal in appearance. Cookies turned out very well, no ill effects on family or co-workers. The way my oil rotation is working out, I've spent the last 6 months or more with canola oil 2 years past dates - stored in a cool dark location and used within 3-4 months of opening it seems to have zero issues repeated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:00 am 

Nabbed about five pounds of pfeffernusse my Oma made last year that have been sitting in a tin in her garage for the last year. Ate a half dozen or so, taste good, but very hard.

No ill effects so far...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:16 am 

Hello, all. I'm a newly registered member of ZS, although I've been lurking for a while. This thread is the one that did it - I just had to participate in the BEST THREAD EVER. So, here's my contribution:

What: Jack's Links "Lil Chub" - looks like a tiny summer sausage
Best By: 1 Aug 2013
Consumed 1 Jan 2016

I hadn't eaten one of these when it was "still good", but the texture was a bit different from what I recall of "slim jims". I really wasn't sure about running this experiment with meat, however, I didn't notice anything off except the texture and no ill effects were noted.

What: Walmart brand instant oatmeal (Apples & Cinnamon)
Best By: not sure, found it in BOBs that were last checked about 3 years ago, so expect 18-24 mos "out of date"
Consumed 1 Jan 2016

Apples looked a little funkier than I remember, but had the same gluey texture, and no spending all night in the "loo".

I will note that these items were stored in BOBs that were kept in our home - cool, dry, dark environment, not a vehicle with large shifts in temperature. NOW, off to try the Cream-of-wheat from 1998! :ohdear:

A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:00 pm 

Product : Kraft Mac and Cheese (rolls eyes)
Best By Date : 11/15/2011
Opened : 01/01/2016
Stored in original carton. From the market to the basement LTS shelf.

This had worked its way out of a larger bundle and found refuge at the back of the shelf - found during our End of Year goods inspection.

Cooked up with some hot dog bits to help watch the Rose Bowl game. The color was muted, but the mac was just fine even after what was over three years of sitting in a cardboard box...

I'm still alive w/no bad side effects and Stanford won, big time. So - win-win, eh?.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:33 am 

Product: Sam Adams Winter Variety Craft Pack Beer
Best By: 3/31/2014
Consumed: 1/1/2016

Sensory: Smelled Skunky, otherwise normal.

Results: Tasted well worse than the usual Sam Adams flavors, overall like shit. Did not make anyone sick but did make them slightly intoxicated. Beer was stored in cool dry basement behind some boxes of other stuff over two years ago and was not noticed till recently.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:27 am 

Stercutus wrote:
<snip> Did not make anyone sick but did make them slightly intoxicated. FOR SCIENCE!!!!!<snip>

FTFY 8-)

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:07 am 

Non-brand (Aldi) can of spaghetti in tomato sauce.

Best by - JUL 2013 (Probably purchased early/mid 2012)
Eaten - JAN 2016

Normal taste/smell, no ill effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:01 am 

Bushes Red kidney chili beans. Exp Mar 2013

Added to some white rice, tasted find, no ill effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:27 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Store-brand pitted black olives - dated 12/2014.
Consumed 1/2016 in pasta, no issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Pillsbury Fudge Brownie mix - best by 12/14/13
Made 1/26/16.

Made excellent brownies, no noticable issues.

Miracle Whip Lite best by 12/2014. I hadn't noticed until I rinsed the bottle out, was kept in cool dry basement, then fridge once opened for several months. Eaten on many sandwiches, no isses.

And, my fave, I discovered in the freezer
Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies, in original packaging. Use/freese by 9/1/14. Which I had done. Just like new when defrosted. (11 days until cookies again in my Council!!!!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 pm 

La Banderita brand flour tortillas. Exp 8/25/15. Kept in my desk at work, just ate one, taste/look/feel find.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:54 pm 

Annie44 wrote:
Hello, all. I'm a newly registered member of ZS, although I've been lurking for a while. This thread is the one that did it - I just had to participate in the BEST THREAD EVER. So, here's my contribution: A <snip>

Hello and welcome, Annie44 glad to have you aboard!

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 am 

Hormel canned corned beef. Exp. April 2011.

Looked, smelled, tasted fine. no ill effects

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next