Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a personal survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by shrapnel » Mon May 25, 2015 9:53 am

Barnabus wrote:
shrapnel wrote:Results: Will update when a few days have passed, or when food poisoning strikes the whole household, whichever comes first.
Hello? you still alive?
Everything was fine! 9/10, would risk again. :D
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Product : Meijer Organics* Vanilla Soymilk
Date : 3/3/13
Opened : approx 6/7/15
stored in basement, then refrigerated after opening.

Results - perfectly fine banana smoothies. (Frozen banana + vanilla soy milk, no other ingredients). No ill effects. 4 smoothies consumed (also by younger daughter) over 2 weeks. (Today, last half cup had coagulated into soy pudding but it had been open for 3 weeks.)

*there is no non-organic soymilk. Apparently if one wants soymilk one is required to be into organics. *shrug*
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:17 am

Mods, forgive the cross post, I posted in the MREs review about my experience last week with an old MRE.
Going to add it here too.

After doing some research into the MRE based on the menu contents it appears the MRE was manufactured in the 1980's so basically 25-28 years old.

Review of my first MRE.

Item, MRE Beans and Franks

My grandson's cub scout troop was invited to sleep overnight on the outfield of the minor league team near us. I decided to try one of the MRE's I have in My BOB since I have never tried one.

I selected the beans and franks over the beef noddle's thinking that it would be easier to get him to eat the hot dogs. This is an MRE that I believe was manufactured in the 90's.(edited to add, appears to be discontinued in 1987) I picked up a few at a gun show a few year ago. The package was a dark brown, if that helps identify the series. It seems some of the reviews here appear to be a brighter yellow/ green packaging so I assume these are newer.

I opened the package and found one package with four hot dogs, one package of baked beans, a condiment pack, a spoon, a pack of crackers and a packet of apple jelly. There was also a fold out cardboard stand that I think was supposed to be used with a heater, but since there was no heater I didn't see the point.

I was disappointed in that there was no heater in the MRE, I don't know if they only include one in packets that can only be eaten warm or what.

Anyways I tried the hot dogs first, They were very mushy and salty. Edible, I guess since I did eat two. My grandson spit his out immediately and his mother took one bite of hers and said no thanks. She did say that if they were warmed up over a fire they might be better.

The beans were actually not to bad, a little dry, but the flavor was acceptable.

I didn't open the crackers or jelly, I am saving those for a snack or going to put them in my GHB in my truck.

In conclusion, hotdogs edible but not good, - beans, pretty good. I was hoping to get a chance to use the heater because I wanted to get experience using one before I really needed to use one.

Sorry I didn't think to take pictures

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:52 am

tedbeau wrote:Mods, forgive the cross post, I posted in the MREs review about my experience last week with an old MRE.

After doing some research into the MRE based on the menu contents it appears the MRE was manufactured in the 1980's so basically 25-28 years old.
About testing old expired food, I do it also, but...... . You really probably shouldn't have tried getting a child to try it. Its one thing if we are taking a risk on getting sick by trying these things, but what if he had gotten ill out there at night?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:56 am

Product: Yoplait Greek 100 Whips, strawberry yogurt
Best-By Date: 13 May 2015
Consumed: 11 June 2015

Sensory Observations:
No sensory defects in texture or taste, it was delicious. Honestly, not completely sure what the texture should be... The product had an airy, firm, custard/meringue texture, that was probably normal. It had a soft pink colour, no excess liquid (which I often find in yogurt well within best-by periods), and no noticeable odor.

Results:
Reviewer experienced no ill effects.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by Myana » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:48 am

Product: Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup
Best by Date: 6/2014
Consumed: 7/2015

Sensory Observations:
I noticed an off scent when I opened the can. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the expiration date. I had a critical failure of pantry rotation, and this puppy didn't get chucked when it should have. Since I had just bought a case of chicken noodle soup, I disregarded this obvious warning because I 'knew' it was fresh.

Results:
Tasted... bad. Not shocking or rancid, but still off somehow. I ate a couple spoonfuls with growing unease. Had Campbell's changed its formula? ("Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup! Now with extra guano!") I 'knew' it was fine, but it killed my appetite, dead. I decided to give it to the cats, as a treat, since they love chicken soup.

They rushed over when I put it on the floor. Sniffed the soup. Then all three of them started trying to scrape kitty litter over it

At that point the light bulb went on in my head, and I checked the expiration date. Mystery solved! Other than losing my appetite, I experienced no bad effects. Neither did the cats, since -- unlike me -- they were smart enough not to eat it in the first place.

prepper7

Post by prepper7 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 am

Such poor results with relatively "fresh" expired food. Tinned soup only a year past the best-by, that seems...wrong somehow. :(
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:54 am

tedbeau wrote:Mods, forgive the cross post, I posted in the MREs review about my experience last week with an old MRE.

Review of my first MRE.

My grandson's cub scout troop was invited to sleep overnight on the outfield of the minor league team near us. I decided to try one of the MRE's I have in My BOB since I have never tried one.

I selected the beans and franks over the beef noddle's thinking that it would be easier to get him to eat the hot dogs. This is an MRE that I believe was manufactured in the 90's.(edited to add, appears to be discontinued in 1987) I picked up a few at a gun show a few year ago. The package was a dark brown, if that helps identify the series. It seems some of the reviews here appear to be a brighter yellow/ green packaging so I assume these are newer.

I opened the package and found one package with four hot dogs, one package of baked beans, a condiment pack, a spoon, a pack of crackers and a packet of apple jelly. There was also a fold out cardboard stand that I think was supposed to be used with a heater, but since there was no heater I didn't see the point.

I was disappointed in that there was no heater in the MRE, I don't know if they only include one in packets that can only be eaten warm or what.

Anyways I tried the hot dogs first, They were very mushy and salty. Edible, I guess since I did eat two. My grandson spit his out immediately and his mother took one bite of hers and said no thanks. She did say that if they were warmed up over a fire they might be better.

The beans were actually not to bad, a little dry, but the flavor was acceptable.

I didn't open the crackers or jelly, I am saving those for a snack or going to put them in my GHB in my truck.

In conclusion, hotdogs edible but not good, - beans, pretty good. I was hoping to get a chance to use the heater because I wanted to get experience using one before I really needed to use one.

Rest assured, the franks didn't taste bad because they were old. Those things were just as unpleasant when they were freshly made. They weren't the worst, but they were far from being the most liked.

Now the chicken ala king, ham slices, and "beef, ground, with tomato sauce" were pretty good. Avoid the "beef, diced, with gravy" (looks like alpo, smells like cat food). And be careful with the chocolate covered cookies.... they taste great but your at risk of breaking a tooth. Hit them with a hammer before you open the pouch. :lol:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Myana » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:01 am

prepper7 wrote:Such poor results with relatively "fresh" expired food. Tinned soup only a year past the best-by, that seems...wrong somehow. :(
Agreed, 100%.

There are two possible factors that may have contributed to the problem. First, I ran out of space and stored this soup in my garage, where the temperature fluctuates from about 50 degrees (in winter) to 100 or so in the summer. Maybe excessive heat damaged it? Second, this was low-sodium soup. I know salt helps preserve things, so perhaps the low sodium version is a bit more fragile?

Not sure, but it was nasty. The little bit I had didn't actually make me sick, but man I would not want to eat it.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Myana wrote:
prepper7 wrote:Such poor results with relatively "fresh" expired food. Tinned soup only a year past the best-by, that seems...wrong somehow. :(
Agreed, 100%.

There are two possible factors that may have contributed to the problem. First, I ran out of space and stored this soup in my garage, where the temperature fluctuates from about 50 degrees (in winter) to 100 or so in the summer. Maybe excessive heat damaged it? Second, this was low-sodium soup. I know salt helps preserve things, so perhaps the low sodium version is a bit more fragile?

Not sure, but it was nasty. The little bit I had didn't actually make me sick, but man I would not want to eat it.
I was wondering about storage conditions, because that seems unusual to me. Do you do ok with the low-sodium variety when it's fresh? (Since my kids won't eat it when it's well within dates, picky things!)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Myana » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:51 am

Yup. The low-sodium version isn't my favorite; I find it rather tasteless. This was quite different; it had a foul, swampy undertone.

While the conditions in the garage are not ideal, I've stored things there for years and never had anything go awful. The tomato sauce from an earlier Near-Death post was stored there too, and was fine despite being much further past its best by date. I'd really like to understand why my soup turned nasty because I don't want other food in the garage going bad. If low-sodium soup doesn't store well, I need to be more careful about what I buy.

Though... I just read my own description. 'Swampy.' Campbells Soup requires a can of water. I got mine from the tap -- and the city was doing some kind of water-pipe cleaning. Wonder if it was the water, not the soup, that caused the problem? I haven't noticed any funny smells in the shower. However I normally run tap water through my Berkefeld filter before I drink it, so I wouldn't notice if the water had a bad taste. Even the cats' water is filtered.

Hmm... Need to go look at the city webpage, see if there are any warnings about this cleaning affecting the taste of our water. (They're not cleaning our area at the moment, so I can't just drink a glass.)

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 am

Kellogg's NutaGrain granola bars. Apple cinnamon. Best by date unknown. I can't find any expiration date on the box or the individual bars, which seems odd.

I have had these in my prepper stash for quite some time and I decided that I should rotate out some of the stock. I had two boxes of these nutri-grain bars. One box is apple cinnamon the other is berry. Both are about two years old, perhaps longer, I should have put a date on them. Guess I need to start doing that.
Anyways I have been taking these to work with my lunch.
The taste "heavy. it seems like they have either picked up moisture from the air though the packaging, or more likely the outer crust has absorbed some of the moisture from the fruit filling. The fruit flavor also seems to be a bit stronger than they usually are.
I haven't had any issues with eating them, the crust is just are a little less "light and airy' than they usually are.
I haven't tried the berry ones yet. I'll get to them once the apple ones are gone.

I do need to start writing the date food preps are put into my emergency bins and start a more normal food rotation.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Store brand can chicken noodle soup, exp 2012. Eaten yesterday . still alive no ill effects at all.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:48 pm

tedbeau wrote:Kellogg's NutaGrain granola bars. Apple cinnamon. Best by date unknown. I can't find any expiration date on the box or the individual bars, which seems odd.

I have had these in my prepper stash for quite some time and I decided that I should rotate out some of the stock. I had two boxes of these nutri-grain bars. One box is apple cinnamon the other is berry. Both are about two years old, perhaps longer, I should have put a date on them. Guess I need to start doing that.
Anyways I have been taking these to work with my lunch.
The taste "heavy. it seems like they have either picked up moisture from the air though the packaging, or more likely the outer crust has absorbed some of the moisture from the fruit filling. The fruit flavor also seems to be a bit stronger than they usually are.
I haven't had any issues with eating them, the crust is just are a little less "light and airy' than they usually are.
I haven't tried the berry ones yet. I'll get to them once the apple ones are gone.

I do need to start writing the date food preps are put into my emergency bins and start a more normal food rotation.
Well I ate up all the apple nuti-grain bars and started on the strawberry ones that are also a few years old. Again the outer crust seems to have absorbed moisture from the filling and become more dense. The strawberry filling did not fare as well as the apple. While it's edible its actually more flat tasting and thick and sticky. They go down OK, but a little water helps. If I had bought these new and opened them right away with this texture and flavor I would probably stop buying them. Since it's my own fault that they are past their "best by" date (and they really are) I'll just make due with them and make sure to rotate out the stock I replaced these with in my preps.

prepper7

Post by prepper7 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14 pm

tedbeau wrote:Kellogg's NutaGrain granola bars. Apple cinnamon. Best by date unknown. I can't find any expiration date on the box or the individual bars, which seems odd.
<snip>

Thx for coming back and updating us on the experiment, tedbeau.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Here's an exercise in living dangerously for you :)

Drosed Podlaski chicken pate with paprika.
BBE: 4th January 2012.
Consumed: 20th October 2015.

Packed in a foil tray with a foil lid, looking suspiciously like gourmet cat food, we bought this Polish pate (plus some crackers) as a standby food during a camping holiday to France during 2010, the idea being that if we got to the camp site late we'd have something to eat. We didn't need it for the trip and, when we returned home, it was stashed in the store cupboard where it languished for the next four years, never quite looking appetising enough to eat.

Noticing it last week I though it might make a good lunch option, so I took it and half-a-dozen Krisprolls to work with me. Careful examination of the pack revealed no defects or bulging, and on opening the pate looked and smelled OK (by the standards of chicken pate). It seemed slightly oilier than I'd expect pate to be but that could just be characteristic of the brand.

Your tester gingerly tried the first mouthful, and when it appeared normal continued to eat two-thirds of the pack with Krisprolls before feeling full. Rather than tempting fate he then consigned the remainder to the bin.

No ill effects were experienced therafter.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Product: Dannon Light & Fit Greek
Best-By Date: 10 Jun 2015
Consumed: 28 Oct 2015

Sensory Observations:
Lotta liquid on top, no off smells, mold, clumps, etc. Stirred it up and it was smooth and looked exactly like it should. Found it hiding in the back of the fridge, possibly trying to evolve.

Results:
Zero ill effects, no projectile vomiting, no unexplained strange flesh cravings, or hallucinations.... yet.
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Product: Publix Premium Vodka Sauce (god I miss Publix. This was my last bottle from back home :cry: )
Best-by date: 15 September 2015
Consumed: 01 November 2015

Sensory Observations:
Before I start, please know that this was part of my stash that accidentally was stored in a trailer from November to September, in St Louis, which is to say a number of freeze-thaw cycles and all sorts of temperatures in between (as detailed here).

First thing I noticed was that there was a layer of separated oil on top of the tomato part of the sauce. Oh well, that's normal, I'll just shake it up. Awesome, delicious vodka sauce that tastes like home is almost within my grasp! Then I opened it. It smelled ok, but there was Stuff crusted along the top. I'm not convinced it wasn't just cream... milk... lactose... solids... that had separated out a little, but Doc wasn't willing to risk it so we threw it out. I'm still sad.

Conclusions: didn't eat it. Store food in climate-controlled places, or you'll have to throw away comfort food you can't get more of.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:26 am

shrapnel wrote:Doc wasn't willing to risk it so we threw it out. I'm still sad.
Wait.

You two are an "item"?

Congrats! :clap:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:24 am

LowKey wrote:

Review of my first MRE.

Rest assured, the franks didn't taste bad because they were old. Those things were just as unpleasant when they were freshly made. They weren't the worst, but they were far from being the most liked.

Now the chicken ala king, ham slices, and "beef, ground, with tomato sauce" were pretty good. Avoid the "beef, diced, with gravy" (looks like alpo, smells like cat food). And be careful with the chocolate covered cookies.... they taste great but your at risk of breaking a tooth. Hit them with a hammer before you open the pouch. :lol:
Also the MRE coffee cakes of that era were damn good. Nothing like chicken ala king, freeze dried fruit, a 20 year old chocolate bar and a sweet, sweet bit of cake while deep in the woods.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:28 am

with any "old" or expired food, you need to do the look, smell and taste test.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Commercial tin of canned hot-dog sausages (in brine).

Expiry date - Jan 2012
Eaten - Nov 2015

I opened and ate these a week ago. I'm still here. No ill effects. Looked and tasted normal.

These tend to have a long shelf life so were probably bought in 2009/10 and therefore maybe 5 or 6 years old.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:29 am

grumpyviking wrote:with any "old" or expired food, you need to do the look, smell and taste test.
I always do this. To be fair, when I started going out with my SO, she gave me a rough time about smelling literally everything I eat before it goes in my mouth. After saving us from several unpleasant experiences, this no longer happens lol.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Myana » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Product: SpringTree Pure Maple Syrup
Best by Date: 3/13/2002
Consumed: 11/21/2015

Sensory Observations:
Smelled fine. However when I poured it from its (opaque) bottle, several half-inch grey-blue mold patches flooded out onto my pancakes.

Results:
Didn't eat it. I wanted to share this, though, because I didn't think maple syrup could go bad. I thought it was indestructible like honey. That if you dug up a Neolithic Vermonter, you could safely eat any maple syrup grave goods he got buried with. Turns out that either that is not the case, or something severely funky happened to my maple syrup some time in the last decade.

Return to “Personal Experiences”