It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:40 pm 

I hate to waste food, but in spite of my best efforts, some of the food I purchase always passes its "best-by" date. The Internet is full of expert opinion about the usefulness and/or safety of past best-by date food and whilst I find the information useful, I also like personal experiences.

I have seen several excellent threads here about emergency bars and MREs consumed PBB (post best-by) and I've decided to begin my own testing and documentation of regular foods. I hope you'll share your experiences as well.

Product: Mom's Best (Malt-o-Meal company) All-Natural Oatmeal, apples & cinnamon flavour and cinnamon and spice flavour (There are other flavours in the box, so I'll update this as I try them)
Best-By Date: Feb '08
Consumed: 31 May '09

Sensory Observations:
Packet contained several large lumps (which were easily broken up with a spoon when product was poured into a bowl). Product reconstituted normally, and in the normal interval, with hot water. There were no sensory defects in texture or taste: oats were appropriately chewy and the apples were moist with an apple pie -esque texture.

Results:
Reviewer experienced no ill effects.

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Last edited by prepper7 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:55 pm 

Great right up!

prepper7 wrote:
Results:
Reviewer experienced no ill effects.

You only consumed it as of today. I will be impressed if you are alive tomorrow :lol: just kidding. Great job!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:12 pm 

Ate a bunch of 15 year old MRE's.

Didn't taste great or look normal but didn't taste spoiled and I'm still around a few years later.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:15 pm 

MacAttack wrote:

Didn't taste great or look normal but didn't taste spoiled and I'm still around a few years later.

Do they ever taste great or look normal?

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm 

nimdabew wrote:
MacAttack wrote:

I was actually quite fond of the old "Ham and Chicken Loaf" MRE......

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:24 pm 

nimdabew wrote:
MacAttack wrote:

Not really, but the spaghetti was brown. Along with the cheese.
The crackers tasted normal along with the peanut butter.
It was really just the main meal portions that were really off. Everything else was the same old bland tasting stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 pm 

liberty45 wrote:
Great right up!
prepper7 wrote:
Results:Reviewer experienced no ill effects.
You only consumed it as of today. I will be impressed if you are alive tomorrow :lol: just kidding. Great job!

:D You're absolutely correct, it can take as long as 48 hours (a real experience, when I (and a bunch of people at a conference) was poisoned by an hotel). Just in case, I'll sleep with the laptop next to the bed tonight so I'll be able to update this just before expiring! :wink:

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:40 pm 

Fun idea, I'll play.

Product: Clif Bar, various flavors
Best-By Date: the year (or maybe 2) before I ate 'em
Consumed: 12-18 months past sell by

Sensory Observations:
Solid as a rock. Placed in warm area (car window/dash, pants pocket) in attempt to make pliable. Able to break off chunks for chewing, but very hard to masticate. Eventually reduces to swallowable portions.

Results:
Reviewer resolved to eat Clif Bars before expiry: I now try to eat 'em up every 6 months. Better than starving, but not at all the enjoyable gingerbread bar it was when eaten 'fresh'.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:31 am 

If I can find them, I have a box of candied raisins around here somewhere that came from a circa 1960s aviation survival kit. If someone wants to eat them and report back...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Product: Maple Syrup, Pure
Best-By Date: Aug 28, 2008
Consumed: Saturday Morning

Sensory Observations:
When I opened the bottle, which was pulled from the fridge, where it has sat since being opened sometime in 2007, something smelled a bit odd... Perhaps a VERY faint scent of alcohol. Texture and viscosity seemed about right, although, personally I think plain maple syrup lacks something on pancakes... Too runny, in my opinion. Normally I mix it with honey, but Saturday, my wife melted some butter and mixed it in.

Results:
Yummy. Although we're down to about an eighth of a gallon remaining... We'll pick up another bottle next trip to Costco.

"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Yogurt, 6 months past date (buy or use by, I don't know) passed the smell test, and after stirring (it was very seperated) it tasted fine, conclusion: no ill effects. It was properly referigated the entire time, forgotten at the back of the fridge.

Lemonade, from concentrate. Left in the fridge who knows how long. Tasted slightly alcholic, got me slightly buzzed. conclusion: positive effect. I should have used it to culture a fresh batch of hard lemonade.

Then again I have eaten raw pork, raw sausauges and many moldy things to no ill effect. Someday I will get food poisioning, but untill then I choose to believe I am immune.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 pm 

The best thing about really old milk is that the side of your fork will still cut it into chunks quite nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:41 pm 

I've been telling my wife for a long time that "best by" does not mean "bad after". She separates our food stores into those which are within the best by period, which she will eat, and tells me to eat the expired goods if I dare. I do, all the time, and no bad experiences yet. Chilli, tuna, soup, veggies etc... I have yet to open a properly stored can and have something noxious rear it's ugly head. She likes to tell me that 11 years of eating my ex-wife's attempted-murder-cooking has gifted me with an unusually powerful digestive tract.

The only time I've had a true case of food poisoning was in 1981 and it was a package of Oscar Meyer Cheese Smokies that did it. I always inspect the contents and give them the smell test. If something is "bad" it is usually not hard to tell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 pm 

Product: Frozen squash (from my garden/CSA), multiple types
Best-By Date: Frozen Fall 2005, Best by Fall 2006
Consumed: Last week, lasat month, cooked in squash mufifns

Sensory Observations:
Looked like frozen squash. Smelled like frozen squash. Cooked up fine.

Results:
Yummy. Made the muffins with and without chocolate chips. Muffins have a heavy molasses flavor, but I don't think that was hiding anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 pm 

Neville wrote:
I've been telling my wife for a long time that "best by" does not mean "bad after". She separates our food stores into those which are within the best by period, which she will eat, and tells me to eat the expired goods if I dare. I do, all the time, and no bad experiences yet...

that's how it is at our house. My husband is convinced that the "best by" date is merely a suggestion. He's totally on his own with that. I get food poisoning just by looking at expired stuff.

But great thread nonetheless. I'm still waiting for someone to post a bad reaction. :wink:

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm 

Product: German MRE
Best-By Date: Circa '90
Consumed: Summer of 2007
Sensory Observations:
Looked pretty normal, and some parts smelled normal. The cheese spread smelled like a sick donkey's rear end, and was discarded.
The cookies are always hard as rock, just like the ones in this MRE. There is a reason the slang term for them is "Panzerplatten" ("Armor plating").
The vegetarian entree tasted kind of off, so I only ate a quarter of it. The meat entree was fine.
Results:
A fine evening, a "wait, what's that in my innards" night, and a full 16 hours spent with violent anal and oral detoxification during the day. The detox was sometimes simultaneous, but what with being in the woods and all I could spray freely without worrying about cleanup. Felt like the previously mentioned donkey smelled for another two days. Got IV fluids due to not being able to keep down even small amounts of water.

God that was a shit experience, in the literal and the figurative sense.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:18 pm 

Product: Raw Cookie Dough
Best-By Date: July 15 2005
Consumed: May 31 2009

Sensory Observations:
Pulled out of the freezer, I didn't realize that it was in there. Looked normal, slight smell from the other items in the freezer.

Results:
Left to defrost and ate half yesterday. Other half today. No ill-effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 pm 

That German Guy wrote:
Sensory Observations:
Looked pretty normal, and some parts smelled normal. The cheese spread smelled like a sick donkey's rear end, and was discarded.
The cookies are always hard as rock, just like the ones in this MRE. There is a reason the slang term for them is "Panzerplatten" ("Armor plating").
The vegetarian entree tasted kind of off, so I only ate a quarter of it. The meat entree was fine.
Results:
A fine evening, a "wait, what's that in my innards" night, and a full 16 hours spent with violent anal and oral detoxification during the day. The detox was sometimes simultaneous, but what with being in the woods and all I could spray freely without worrying about cleanup. Felt like the previously mentioned donkey smelled for another two days. Got IV fluids due to not being able to keep down even small amounts of water.

that's what I was waiting for. :P

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 pm 

airexurb wrote:
That German Guy wrote:
Sensory Observations:
Results:

that's what I was waiting for. :P

How stereotypical......German Scat.....didn't someone make a movie (or two thousand) about this sort of thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 pm 

I bet a few good German beers would have cured it before it became a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 am 

When I was in college I moved into my grandmother’s old house. She’d been stockpiling things for y2k & I ate on those for a while. One night, I was hungry, and broke & decided to eat some oatmeal that had been sitting at the top of my pantry for about 6 months. I DO NOT know how long it was actually there. I poured a bowl, added water, brown sugar and some apples and heated it up. It was yummy.

Unfortunately, like I said, it was dark. As I was eating my newly constructed bowl of yummy oatmeal, I began to notice a strange shaped black oat that I’d never seen in oatmeal before. Upon closer inspection I discovered that they were not oats, but in fact some kind of small beetle that had made it’s home in my old oatmeal. It was a type of shock I’ve never felt before to realize I’d eaten almost an entire bowl of bugmeal. I think the worst part was the fact that when I looked into the container, the ones inside were still alive.

Result:

Actually, I never got sick... felt fine.. and was full. I guess bug filled oatmeal is okay to eat.

PM me and ask me how to become a member of the Zombie Squad Discount Group!
www.militiasupply.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:15 am 

TxMedic645 wrote:
...Result: Actually, I never got sick... felt fine.. and was full. I guess bug filled oatmeal is okay to eat.
I almost became sick just reading this! :cry: Many cultures do eat insects (knowingly :) ), so I suppose you've just identified a renewable source of protein for your preps. :mrgreen:

squinty wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:42 am 

prepper7 wrote:
TxMedic645 wrote:
...Result: Actually, I never got sick... felt fine.. and was full. I guess bug filled oatmeal is okay to eat.
I almost became sick just reading this! :cry: Many cultures do eat insects (knowingly :) ), so I suppose you've just identified a renewable source of protein for your preps. :mrgreen:

Fried grasshoppers with salt and paprika taste GOOD. Some folks like to remove the legs, but I find those to be pure crunchy goodness.
I recommend the smaller grasshoppers...the abdomens on the big ones are a little too squishy.
Second place goes to the white grubs found in decaying logs. Skewer them on a long thin twig and roast over coals. Pick off the heads (too bitter) and enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:24 am 

MacAttack wrote:
I bet a few good German beers would have cured it before it became a problem.

I think not. While I like beer and all, my insides were about as screwed as if I had swallowed a running roto-rooter. That sort of thing is beyond even alcohol to cure :mrgreen:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next