Personal experiance with the Red Cross.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CTjohn

Re: Personal experiance with the Red Cross.

Post by CTjohn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Yaivenov wrote:On the flip side the Commissioner for the Salvation Army as of the same time frame gets paid $13,000 and Housing Allowance. I'd say that's a far more reponsible use of 2 billion dollars in charity money they take in per year right there..
kind of a sidenote, but its probably closer to $167,000, according to snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:41 pm

CTjohn wrote:
Yaivenov wrote:On the flip side the Commissioner for the Salvation Army as of the same time frame gets paid $13,000 and Housing Allowance. I'd say that's a far more reponsible use of 2 billion dollars in charity money they take in per year right there..
kind of a sidenote, but its probably closer to $167,000, according to snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahhh I see where I made my error there, I pulled that number from the wrong spot on that listing there. I also listed the RC CEO as 1k less and the SA's total yearly revenue at $1B less than I should have. So, why should one person get paid half a million dollars more a year for managing the same ammount of assets as another person? How many people could you feed in a disaster with that half a million?
Idiocracy was a documentary.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 pm

CTjohn wrote:
True but better measure of a charity's effectiveness is the ratio of funds raised and utilized for its primary programs instead of overhead. The Salvation Army's uses 91% of all funds raised for its programs vs. the Red Cross which uses only 80% of funds raised for its programs.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:23 am

Interesting - my wife worked for the Red Cross for ten years, and their chapter had a very good relationship with the local hams (probably because she is a ham herself). I find it funny that there would be "political infighting" among different groups of hams - the number of ham operators is dwindling rapidly, they better learn to pull together or there aren't going to be any left at all eventually...
Yaivenov wrote:
On the flip side the Commissioner for the Salvation Army as of the same time frame gets paid $167,000 for an equivalent job. I'd say that's a far more reponsible management of 3 billion dollars in charity money they take in per year right there..
The Salvation Army is a church, the Red Cross is a non-profit and is larger than the Salvation Army by several orders of magnitude. It's comparing apples to oranges.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

yale

Post by yale » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:17 am

GeneralDiscontent wrote:Interesting - my wife worked for the Red Cross for ten years, and their chapter had a very good relationship with the local hams (probably because she is a ham herself). I find it funny that there would be "political infighting" among different groups of hams - the number of ham operators is dwindling rapidly, they better learn to pull together or there aren't going to be any left at all eventually...
Ham radio is one of the most devisive hobbies I've ever encountered.
You didn't have to know Code to get your Technician license so you are a No Code Tech and not worth talking to.
You only had to know 5 words per minute to get your General instead of 20? You are just a General Lite and not worth talking to.
You took a multiple question test at a hamfest and didn't have to travel 100 miles to an FCC office and sit in a stuffy room drawing schematics so you aren't worth talking to.
You use VHF and UHF frequencies instead of HF only. You are a traitor to the hobby.
Digital modes? PSK31? You scum.
AmatuerTeleVision!?! This is Baton Rouge. You can't do ATV here. Don't you know about the great ATV wars of the 1980s where hams pointed their beams at the ATV repeaters and delibertly interfered with the video signals? What about the lawsuits over repeater coordination? Didn't you hear how some hams took their gear out into parking lots, smashed it all to hell with sledge hammers then sold their homes and moved out of state? Why do you think there are so many ham clubs in the area? The Baton Rouge Amateur Radio Club [ http://brarc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] was here first. The Radio Amateur Service Club [ http://www.qsl.net/kd5sl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] split off from them. They are rebels and the 2 groups shall not speak to each other or work together. If you are at a meeting of the Ascension Parish Amateur Radio Club [ http://www.k5arc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] don't let slip that you have a membership in the Baton Rouge ARC. Ascension Parish club people for the most part don't want anything to do with the Baton Rouge hams. Then there's the ARES versus RACES and other public service groups issue.
None of this is just local. It's everywhere. You want to get an idea how bad the divisions are in the ham ranks just log onto web forums such a QRZ.com or Eham sometimes.
Last edited by yale on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony in the lack of communication between the various radio groups. These are the same people who go out of their way to communicate with other distant people via radio. :wink:

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm

I was thinking the same thing Raptor.

Comment on the American Red Cross CEO salary. Although high, it is well under the average of % of expense (%.01). Don’t forget, with blood, CPR training, disaster response, Service to the Armed Forces, International Services, community disaster education etc, it is a 3 billion dollar organization. Raptors right in low admin expenses being the best judge of a non-profit. I’m confident the new direction of the American Red Cross and the streamlining at the top will land it a 4 star rating in the future again.

Link to resource used.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... orgid=3277

Return to “Survival Experiences”