Maybe I should move...

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

suntzu

Re: Maybe I should move...

Post by suntzu » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:36 pm

Reading the responses reminds me of why my friends and relatives are quick to say, "We don't like your kind" to people with your attitudes. We are clannish, and quick to protect our own. Have a great day.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:46 pm

If you are thinking maybe you should move due to the quality of the neighborhood, it's time to move.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

naegling62

Post by naegling62 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 pm

suntzu wrote:Reading the responses reminds me of why my friends and relatives are quick to say, "We don't like your kind" to people with your attitudes. We are clannish, and quick to protect our own. Have a great day.
We say "you and yourns". Anyway he should move...sooner the better. :wink:
Trioxin wrote:If that means I need a tinfoil hat, then dammit it, hand me my silver sombrero.
Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

WILLIE
BANNED

Post by WILLIE » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:54 am

suntzu wrote:Reading the responses reminds me of why my friends and relatives are quick to say, "We don't like your kind" to people with your attitudes. We are clannish, and quick to protect our own. Have a great day.
Just to be clear here, I don't think anyone's saying they have issues with southerners, northerners, whites, hispanics, blacks, etc. That’s great if you’re clannish, as long as you're not in the Klan. The exact problem we are speaking to is people whose yard looks like a trash heap. No one in their family works, but they have no issues with pumping out lots of children. Drug and/or alcohol abuse are a lifestyle for them. They commit crime and have no regard for law or polite society. Their list of bad behaviors goes on and on, basically Jerry Springer types. This type of lifestyle seems to have become more and more prevalent, and accepted my main stream America. I can't go shopping at the mall without running across multiple examples. Now Suntzu, if that’s you, or your apathetic to it in your clan, then you're part of the problem.
Last edited by WILLIE on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:34 am

WILLIE wrote:
Just to be clear here, I don't think anyone's saying they have issues with southerners, northerners, whites, hispanics, blacks, etc. That’s great if you’re clannish, as long as you're not in the Klan. The exact problem for me is people whose yard looks like a trash heap. No one in their family works, but they have no issues with pumping out a lot of children. Drug and/or alcohol abuse are a lifestyle for them. They commit crime and have no regard for the law or polite society. Their list of bad behaviors goes on and on, basically Jerry Springer types. This type of lifestyle seems to have become more and more prevalent, and accepted my main stream America. I can't go shopping at the mall without running across multiple examples. Now Suntzu, if that’s you, or your apathetic to it in your clan, then you're part of the problem.
WILLIE wrote:I've put a lot of thought into this topic, because I'm sick of being around low life’s. White, black, brown, whatever...I'm over it. I’d like to move to a Norman Rockwell painting or maybe the set of Leave It to Beaver. I've eyed the whole country, and think my best odds are in the far north east. If you had to make a shit head pie chart, I think they would be the smallest slice in a state like Maine or New Hampshire. I'm not sure though. I'm definitely getting out of Florida when I retire.
I agree with your posts, Willie. One point of order I'm not in the Klan, don't exactly understand how you came to think that might be a possibility. :D People who are able but refuse to work, or who subsist at the government's handouts are not what I consider hillbillies, but low life trash. All in all, its not a big deal, and I don't want to argue the point. People might feel entitled to their opinion, but maybe they ought to earn that right, especially if that opinion they feel entitled to is ignorant. People ought to search out some facts before they spew their opinions out for the rest of us to endure. A lot of hillbillies, mountain folk, hill folk, etc. are the salt of the earth. Anyways, I'm through talking about something that is inconsequential to many; I'm not looking to change the world's view of me and mine. Thanks for listening.

WILLIE
BANNED

Post by WILLIE » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 am

suntzu wrote:
WILLIE wrote:
Just to be clear here, I don't think anyone's saying they have issues with southerners, northerners, whites, hispanics, blacks, etc. That’s great if you’re clannish, as long as you're not in the Klan. The exact problem for me is people whose yard looks like a trash heap. No one in their family works, but they have no issues with pumping out a lot of children. Drug and/or alcohol abuse are a lifestyle for them. They commit crime and have no regard for the law or polite society. Their list of bad behaviors goes on and on, basically Jerry Springer types. This type of lifestyle seems to have become more and more prevalent, and accepted my main stream America. I can't go shopping at the mall without running across multiple examples. Now Suntzu, if that’s you, or your apathetic to it in your clan, then you're part of the problem.
WILLIE wrote:I've put a lot of thought into this topic, because I'm sick of being around low life’s. White, black, brown, whatever...I'm over it. I’d like to move to a Norman Rockwell painting or maybe the set of Leave It to Beaver. I've eyed the whole country, and think my best odds are in the far north east. If you had to make a shit head pie chart, I think they would be the smallest slice in a state like Maine or New Hampshire. I'm not sure though. I'm definitely getting out of Florida when I retire.
I agree with your posts, Willie. One point of order I'm not in the Klan, don't exactly understand how you came to think that might be a possibility. :D People who are able but refuse to work, or who subsist at the government's handouts are not what I consider hillbillies, but low life trash. All in all, its not a big deal, and I don't want to argue the point. People might feel entitled to their opinion, but maybe they ought to earn that right, especially if that opinion they feel entitled to is ignorant. People ought to search out some facts before they spew their opinions out for the rest of us to endure. A lot of hillbillies, mountain folk, hill folk, etc. are the salt of the earth. Anyways, I'm through talking about something that is inconsequential to many; I'm not looking to change the world's view of me and mine. Thanks for listening.
Again, I don’t think anyone is upset here because you may be poor and live in the south. It's not about how much money you make or where you live. It's all about a growing number of Americans choosing to live in debauchery, filth and ignorance. While there at it, why not spit out inordinate amounts of children so that they can propagate the problem. They have no inclination to improve their condition, just drag the rest of America down to their level. If you live in the hills or mountains, thats great! I would like to move there myself one day. I just don't want t be surrounded by the Jerry Springer show. To me, this is a big deal, one of the bigest facing America. It's just unfortunate that the only real solution is to run away from the problem.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:18 pm

This makes sense.
WILLIE wrote: It's not about how much money you make or where you live. It's all about a growing number of Americans choosing to live in debauchery, filth and ignorance. While there at it, why not spit out inordinate amounts of children so that they can propagate the problem. They have no inclination to improve their condition, just drag the rest of America down to their level. If you live in the hills or mountains, thats great! I would like to move there myself one day. I just don't want t be surrounded by the Jerry Springer show. To me, this is a big deal, one of the bigest facing America. It's just unfortunate that the only real solution is to run away from the problem.
WILLIE wrote:Again, I don’t think anyone is upset here because you may be poor and live in the south.
This, not so much. Its the internet, Willie, I'm not upset, just stating my opinion. That's why I said I'm not trying to change the world's view. I never said I was poor, Willie. I've BEEN poor, but it didn't bother me. Money doesn't make the man, Willie. I agree that many refuse to manage their domestic affairs properly.

"All cops are corrupt and beat minorities on a daily basis."

Not nice, was it? Are you corrupt, Willie? Do you beat minorities on a daily basis, Willie? Didn't think so. Therein is my point. My posts weren't directed directly at you, more of the attitude that were being expressed throughout the thread. Its a small thing, and really didn't need to be brought up...now. In a survival community, something as small as this could weaken and divide a group. That leads to failure, as in death, in most cases. That's for another thread, though.

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:19 pm

If this were true I know I would have more money.
Surviving is easy, living while you do it is the hard part.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Guys, I'd like to point you all to our "No hate" rule. Give it a quick read.
Then, I'd like you to ponder ALL of the words we have for people who make poor choices that have NOTHING to do with their race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or choice of cell phone provider:
Asshole, idiot, moron, dumbass, dumbshit, dipshit, shithead, douchebag, toolbag, tool, dope, yahoo, numbnuts, jerk, jackass, shit for brains, etc etc etc.
Any of these would be appropriate, funny, and would not needlessly antagonize others.
Thanks.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Lot's of people under the assumption that low end trash folks are a new developement... or even a new anomaly in America.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

WILLIE
BANNED

Post by WILLIE » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:25 pm

suntzu wrote:This makes sense.
WILLIE wrote: It's not about how much money you make or where you live. It's all about a growing number of Americans choosing to live in debauchery, filth and ignorance. While there at it, why not spit out inordinate amounts of children so that they can propagate the problem. They have no inclination to improve their condition, just drag the rest of America down to their level. If you live in the hills or mountains, thats great! I would like to move there myself one day. I just don't want t be surrounded by the Jerry Springer show. To me, this is a big deal, one of the bigest facing America. It's just unfortunate that the only real solution is to run away from the problem.
WILLIE wrote:Again, I don’t think anyone is upset here because you may be poor and live in the south.
This, not so much. Its the internet, Willie, I'm not upset, just stating my opinion. That's why I said I'm not trying to change the world's view. I never said I was poor, Willie. I've BEEN poor, but it didn't bother me. Money doesn't make the man, Willie. I agree that many refuse to manage their domestic affairs properly.

Not nice, was it? Are you corrupt, Willie? Do you beat minorities on a daily basis, Willie? Didn't think so. Therein is my point. My posts weren't directed directly at you, more of the attitude that were being expressed throughout the thread. Its a small thing, and really didn't need to be brought up...now. In a survival community, something as small as this could weaken and divide a group. That leads to failure, as in death, in most cases. That's for another thread, though.
I would agree that corrupt cops beating minorities would be a huge problem. How do I know that's not really an issue? Because every two toothed, unemployed, loser in my county somehow has a video/picture phone. If and when that kind of thing happens, it’s all over the news, and every cop feels the scorn. I also agree that name calling is not productive. But I think that getting caught up in name calling is just a diversion from the real heart of this thread. I firmly believe that the group we have been discussing are a very real problem. You can call them what ever name you like, it doesn't change the problem. And the problem is so bad that it has the OP and I thinking of moving. I understand that there has always been a minority of undesirables in America. IMHO they used to be a fringe element that was largely unaccepted by the majority populous. That has changed radically as of late. Don't believe me, turn on MTV. As a survivalist preparing for disaster, I believe rotting from the inside is the most likely cause of America's demise. And on an off note to you ART OF WAR, it’s cute how you say my name a lot when you get mad.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:26 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:Glad you made it out of there okay, and +1 for being aware of your surroundings.

However, as ZS' un-official Redneck, I take offense at your terminology.

What you had there was a tooth-less, inbred, Hillbilly. Please don't confuse the two..... 8)

Sorry to start such an epic failure of a thread derail, folks. I was jes' trying to have a little fun with the OP; nothing more and nothing less. If anyone was somehow offended by my lack of humor, I apologize. It was definately not intended.

*impersonates WILLIE the cop*

Now lets move it along folks, nothing to see here........ :lol:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Did I just witness a semantic argument on ZS?
bonanacrom wrote:That made no sense at all. I think it was meant to make me dumber, and it worked.

WILLIE
BANNED

Post by WILLIE » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 pm

More of a rant really.

Zombie Reaper
BANNED

Post by Zombie Reaper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Midget, you might have, I seemed to have stirred up the proverbial hornets nest on this one.

Ok, lets clear the air...(whew)

I only hate the dumbasses I happen to live near, not all "appalachian americans."

I have one good friend who is crazier than me who is the definition of Redneck.

Update, the drunk had 4 warrents in 4 seperate counties... :shock:
I am the most hated person on ZS. DTOM put me on ignore for telling him to become rich!!!!!
Gundown, DTOM, the list will continue.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:32 pm

I just want to take a moment and apologize to everyone here for my rant. My mother was insulted recently by an out of towner at the grocery store using some vulgar language and hillbilly/redneck was used throughout. Still a tender spot. My apologies. Double sorry to you, Zombie Reaper, for completely messing up your post.

:oops:

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 pm

I'd like to chime in a bit, its the interwebz I can do that when I want :P. I think most of us will agree, if you're an idiotic yammer head, then you need to get wacked by the clue x4 regardless of race, religion, bla, bla, bla, ect, ect, ect.

I know in my job I deal with stupid people from all over, who may not be perminately stupid, they just have stupid moments, usually when they call in and now I gotta talk to them :D
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:26 am

I'm pretty sure that drunk driving and shooting your OWN truck is perfectly legal in Texas. He might have received a ticket for not shooting the truck with something bigger than a .30-30.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

Zombie Reaper
BANNED

Post by Zombie Reaper » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:32 am

suntzu wrote:I just want to take a moment and apologize to everyone here for my rant. My mother was insulted recently by an out of towner at the grocery store using some vulgar language and hillbilly/redneck was used throughout. Still a tender spot. My apologies. Double sorry to you, Zombie Reaper, for completely messing up your post.

:oops:
Apology accepted. No harm, no foul.
Sig_Ocelot wrote:I'm pretty sure that drunk driving and shooting your OWN truck is perfectly legal in Texas. He might have received a ticket for not shooting the truck with something bigger than a .30-30.
I still don't know how they tell who is drunk in this area, with the wildly erratic driving habits of the people.
I believe the limit in TX is 0.08 BAC, anything under that and you go to jail. :lol:
I am the most hated person on ZS. DTOM put me on ignore for telling him to become rich!!!!!
Gundown, DTOM, the list will continue.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Sig_Ocelot wrote:I'm pretty sure that drunk driving and shooting your OWN truck is perfectly legal in Texas. He might have received a ticket for not shooting the truck with something bigger than a .30-30.
This is why Texans are fond of Long guns...its hard to carry a pistol in a truck calibre.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

bigredski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Zombie, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later.

Post by bigredski » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:12 pm

I also live in East Texas and thought I was the only one who called this place Hillbilly Hell. Git R Done seems to be the popular bumper sticker. Working in the same place for 25 years and making $15 dollars an hour is considered the norm. I moved here from Dallas and instantly went into culture shock. This is truly the land that time forgot. It seems to be at least 20 years behind the times. People like myself, who are not considered a "Good Ole Boy", are usually treated with disrespect and resentment. The belief that small town folks are friendly is anything but true. My family has lived here for 2 years now and neither my wife or myself has made one single friend. These people believe the most absurd things just because thier friend Bubba or JD told them so. Soon after Obama won the election, you would have thought the country was put on high alert from a nuclear attack the way the people acted. Gun stores ran out of stock, people thought thier Bibles and religion were going to be taken away and they were going to be forced to become Islamic, and I'm sure the white sheets started to come out of the closet. Words truly can't describe living in East Texas. It's something you have to experience for yourself to understand. Do I hate these people? No, they hate ME. I'm not a redneck.
Semper Fi

naegling62

Post by naegling62 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I've been to Dallas......that's not hillbilly hell just hell. Oh same with Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, New York city, New Orleans, L.A., Oakland, Miami........it never ends people. Just quit BITCHIN" and move!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Last edited by naegling62 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trioxin wrote:If that means I need a tinfoil hat, then dammit it, hand me my silver sombrero.
Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:35 pm

Chef wrote:
There is one gentleman, a Mr. Jim Goad, who takes this subject rather seriously. His book, The Redneck Manifesto, is a serious deconstruction of the social acceptability of racism/classism against poor, rural whites in America, and particularly the odd double standard of how we can jokingly throw the word redneck around, all in good fun, but the room gets all quiet if I say the word...you know, that OTHER word, I'm not even going to say it. Goad makes some good points, and even when I'm not sure I agree with him, he gives the reader a lot to chew on. Sensitive readers beware, he drops the "n-bomb" a lot, although I would argue always as a counter-example to the use of the word "redneck" and never with racist intent.
Really good book, that. Well researched and documented. Goad is perhaps better known for for his "Answer Me!" fanzine. To those who are interested, he does have a forum (hilarious, offensive, intelligent).
Yeah, I've got that "first four" compilation of "Answer Me!" I like it in the same way I like Marilyn Manson: I like it, but it makes me feel like a really immature teenager at the same time.

JibbaJabba
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by JibbaJabba » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 pm

naegling62 wrote:I've been to Dallas......that's not hillbilly hell just hell.
You take that shit back right fucking now. :evil:
PlE or GTFO! Image
bonanacrom wrote:I found that if your 6 feet tall and weigh 260 pounds and answer the door naked with a big shit eating grin on your face you get to control the conversation right from the beginning.

Return to “Survival Experiences”