Maybe I should move...

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zombie Reaper
BANNED

Maybe I should move...

Post by Zombie Reaper » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I live in the redneck capital of Deep East Texas. So I accept that some of these people are lacking in mental prowess, and many of those are heavy drinkers, but today just confirmed it.

I like to walk my neighbourhood, mainly for the exercise, but it helps if you are aquainted with people in your area. Well today I heard a truck approaching from behind and looked to see a older dodge ram coming dead at me, I manage to dive out of the way like something from an action movie as he drove right into a ditch. The ocupant(who is way past drunk) gets out yelling at his truck, brandishing an old rifle, and starts SHOOTING his truck. I ran for cover and called the police. The police showed up and arrested him before he took his anger out on a person.

1. Situational Awareness
2. Situational Awareness
3. See rules 1 & 2

P.S. The truck didn't make it.
I am the most hated person on ZS. DTOM put me on ignore for telling him to become rich!!!!!
Gundown, DTOM, the list will continue.

Paladin1

Re: Maybe I should move...

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 pm

Geez, go buy a lotto ticket! You dodged a drunk driver and a crazed gunman.
WWSD?

Zombie Reaper
BANNED

Post by Zombie Reaper » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Not the first time I have had to deal with armed drunks.
I am the most hated person on ZS. DTOM put me on ignore for telling him to become rich!!!!!

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:33 pm

Wow.

At least he was arrested. :wink:
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Glad you made it out of there okay, and +1 for being aware of your surroundings.

However, as ZS' un-official Redneck, I take offense at your terminology.

What you had there was a tooth-less, inbred, Hillbilly. Please don't confuse the two..... 8)
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Zombie Reaper
BANNED

Post by Zombie Reaper » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:56 pm

I, unfortunately, have not come across many good rednecks/hillbillies/Bubbas. I count almost the whole neighbourhood I live in as hillbillies. I live on a road called hillbilly heaven, OK? The whole area is infected with drugs and child molesters.

My use of the word redneck is directed to the losers I have the displeasure of living near.

However, You are not a redneck until proven.

Have you ever

A: Had your front porch collapse and kill more than 5 dogs?
B: Been restricted to 3 calls per day by the National UFO Hotline?
C: Put your working TV on top of your NON-working TV?

An affirmative answer in all 3 qualifys you to claim the title.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Zombie Reaper wrote:I, unfortunately, have not come across many good rednecks/hillbillies/Bubbas. I count almost the whole neighbourhood I live in as hillbillies. I live on a road called hillbilly heaven, OK? The whole area is infected with drugs and child molesters.

My use of the word redneck is directed to the losers I have the displeasure of living near.

Have you ever

Once again, you are mistaken. A "Redneck" is simply a good 'ole boy, usually of southern descent, who happens to, more often than not, like country music, hunting/fishing/shooting, 4x4s, and generally anything else that involves the outdoors. More often than not, he is also quite respectful, and full of southern charm.
However, he is generally distrustful of anyone claiming to be from "up Nawth".

Understand now?

Like I said, what you have are at the most imbred hillbillies, at the least, Spam-sucking trailer trash.

There IS a distinction. :wink:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Regret

Post by Regret » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:53 pm

I could go the exact opposite to your situation and say I would rather deal with one drunken yokle than the two to five random sounds of gunshots EVERY NIGHT, in the middle of the hellhole of an urban area that I live in.

But to your point, I can understand. I lived in an extremely rural area for the better part of my life and have had a few encounters like that. But anywhere you go, there's a possibility something like that can happen. All the more reason to CCW and carry a proper EDC, you never know when some random jackass will just turn his brain off.

Just do what I do...go about your normal life with your eyes open and your senses as alert as possible, don't change your routines out of fear or intimidation, and sing the last line from Eric Idle's "Galaxy Song" in your head over and over again.
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.
Church: What a shitty medical school.
Tucker: Yeah, where'd you go, the University of Jamaica?
Doc: Oh please, I wouldn't be caught dead on that campus. I went to Jamaica State! We were the Jamaica State Fighting Irish!

TheMechanic
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD '78

Post by TheMechanic » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:05 am

I live in the north east and there's "rednecks" everywhere. Every single hunting season several of them end up shooting each other with the famous line "I thought he was a bear/deer/quail/squirell/cow." 9 times out of 10 they shoot their own friend or brother or uncle thinking he was a bear or a deer.
Yes, more than one hunter here has shot a cow grazing in a field thinking it was a deer.
Hillbilly's know no geograhical boundary.
Glad you escaped the drunken hail of gunfire and hope you can get the hell out of there!
"The future is always changing, in the largest of ways by the smallest of things."

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:07 am

.[/quote]
Once again, you are mistaken. A "Redneck" is simply a good 'ole boy, usually of southern descent, who happens to, more often than not, like country music, hunting/fishing/shooting, 4x4s, and generally anything else that involves the outdoors. More often than not, he is also quite respectful, and full of southern charm.

Understand now?

Like I said, what you have are at the most imbred hillbillies, at the least, Spam-sucking trailer trash.

There IS a distinction. :wink:[/quote]

Wow - I am a Redneck and I live in Manhattan - As for the Southern part - does the South Bronx count??

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 am

As they say 'round these parts

You say "redneck" like its a bad thing.
Surviving is easy, living while you do it is the hard part.

Zombie Reaper
BANNED

Post by Zombie Reaper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:31 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:
Zombie Reaper wrote:I, unfortunately, have not come across many good rednecks/hillbillies/Bubbas. I count almost the whole neighbourhood I live in as hillbillies. I live on a road called hillbilly heaven, OK? The whole area is infected with drugs and child molesters.

Have you ever

Understand now?

There IS a distinction. :wink:
ummm...ok I stand corrected

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 pm

kiwilrdg wrote:As they say 'round these parts

You say "redneck" like its a bad thing.

Heh, I know I do.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:56 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:Glad you made it out of there okay, and +1 for being aware of your surroundings.

However, as ZS' un-official Redneck, I take offense at your terminology.

What you had there was a tooth-less, inbred, Hillbilly. Please don't confuse the two..... 8)

We prefer the term Appalachian Americans. :lol:

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

TheMechanic
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD '78

Post by TheMechanic » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:04 pm

"Hill Williams" is more politically correct.
"The future is always changing, in the largest of ways by the smallest of things."

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:13 pm

There is one gentleman, a Mr. Jim Goad, who takes this subject rather seriously. His book, The Redneck Manifesto, is a serious deconstruction of the social acceptability of racism/classism against poor, rural whites in America, and particularly the odd double standard of how we can jokingly throw the word redneck around, all in good fun, but the room gets all quiet if I say the word...you know, that OTHER word, I'm not even going to say it. Goad makes some good points, and even when I'm not sure I agree with him, he gives the reader a lot to chew on. Sensitive readers beware, he drops the "n-bomb" a lot, although I would argue always as a counter-example to the use of the word "redneck" and never with racist intent.

On topic: Man, what a douchebag.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 pm

There is one gentleman, a Mr. Jim Goad, who takes this subject rather seriously. His book, The Redneck Manifesto, is a serious deconstruction of the social acceptability of racism/classism against poor, rural whites in America, and particularly the odd double standard of how we can jokingly throw the word redneck around, all in good fun, but the room gets all quiet if I say the word...you know, that OTHER word, I'm not even going to say it. Goad makes some good points, and even when I'm not sure I agree with him, he gives the reader a lot to chew on. Sensitive readers beware, he drops the "n-bomb" a lot, although I would argue always as a counter-example to the use of the word "redneck" and never with racist intent.
Really good book, that. Well researched and documented. Goad is perhaps better known for for his "Answer Me!" fanzine. To those who are interested, he does have a forum (hilarious, offensive, intelligent).

There's a really nice Bud-swillin', pipe hittin' mobile home community right around the corner from me that's locally known as "Dodge City." Lotsa fun! It has a counterpart a few miles to the west known as "Sin City." Good times!
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

WILLIE
BANNED

Post by WILLIE » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 pm

I've put a lot of thought into this topic, because I'm sick of being around low life’s. White, black, brown, whatever...I'm over it. I’d like to move to a Norman Rockwell painting or maybe the set of Leave It to Beaver. I've eyed the whole country, and think my best odds are in the far north east. If you had to make a shit head pie chart, I think they would be the smallest slice in a state like Maine or New Hampshire. I'm not sure though. I'm definitely getting out of Florida when I retire.

naegling62

Post by naegling62 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:07 am

O.K....where's the mods I have been offended!!! :x See if I can't say anything about Blacks, Mexicans(which I happen to like), Democrats and Republicans then Zombie Reaper should'nt be allowed to say anything about my relatives!!! :mrgreen:

Oh and BTW you should move. I've been to 14 countries and every state in the Union except Alaska and I could not find any stupid people anywhere else but here in the good old C.S.A.!!! :shock: :evil:
Trioxin wrote:If that means I need a tinfoil hat, then dammit it, hand me my silver sombrero.
Packaged in USA
from products and materials produced in China

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:11 am

Judging from the OP, my guess is Nacogdoches...unless it was a new truck, then it was probably Lufkin.
ImageImage

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:30 am

OK I see there has to be some straiting out here, some one mentions inbreeding hillbillies ? I don't think so you see hillbillies don't go for there sisters they go for the neighbors sister that's why there was so many feuds. The rednecks go for the sister because they don't have a working car or truck because its sitting on there front lawn. Where do you think all the redneck sister jokes came from ? And zombie reaper, calling the inbreeds you live near hillbillies is wrong as hillbillies are on the east coast midway up to new york not down south. I think you need to find a safer place to take walks.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 am

I would say stay. Its good to stay frosty.

The only problem a redneck suffers from is poor choice in head wear.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

tenhigh

Post by tenhigh » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:34 am

WILLIE wrote:...If you had to make a shit head pie chart, I think they would be the smallest slice in a state like Maine or New Hampshire...
I'm not sure about New Hampshire, but Maine is by no means free of the sorts of people you'd like to avoid. The tourist areas of Maine aren't too bad if you LIKE tourists, but most of Washington County is filled with the same sort of drunken idiots that you want to get away from.

As for the use of the term redneck, I thought that rednecks were from below the Mason Dixon line only, and that us Yankees were either called hicks or swamp yankees instead.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Posting while retardedly drunk is what we at ZS call SPP, Standard Posting Procedure.
bonanacrom wrote:I was saving that technique for after I win the lottery and have purchased my yak. I will saddle him and ride him drunk all across the property with spear and shield terrorizing the local squirrels and running trespassers off the land !

jay_imok

Post by jay_imok » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:32 am

college & university towns generally have more tolerence for diverse personalities. but you need to be able to tolerate college students (an exercise in itself).

best to stay where you are and remember to wear your 200 square inches of orange

Return to “Survival Experiences”