Okay, I'm cursed (Yeah, another wreck, graphic pics inside)

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gunny

Okay, I'm cursed (Yeah, another wreck, graphic pics inside)

Post by Gunny » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:17 am

Visited Skippman tonight after one of my first nights of law school.

His house was a leisurely 30 minute drive, yet as soon as I turned from HWY44 onto Grand to make the final drive home, I came upon a wreck (I sense a trend)

I witnessed a white 4 door sedan with a crumpled side make a lazy U turn in the roadway infront of me. After it finished this, I noticed something in the roadway about 800y ahead of me. Turns out, it was the stop light for Russel Dr and Grand's intersection.

I drove around the light which blocked the right hand lane and parked. I grabbed the only kit I had which was my stretcher bag (am in the process of refilling my main bag) and headed to the wreck. I got there to see this vehicle:

Surrounded by about 5 guys who were trying to wrench the door open to extract the solo driver who was halfway between her front and back seat (unrestrained). I yelled at them not to touch her. I had nothing on hand to support her so I used my hands/arms to hold her still. She was unconscious but was breathing steadily, and had a solid pulse. She came to right about 2 minutes before the EMT's arrived (amazingly fast response time by the way) so I got to hold her and talk to her to keep her from moving what I am certain is a broken back (she was at a very poor angle and but could still feel her feet thankfully).

She wasn't bleeding severely (minus some typical lacerations) anywhere externally that I was able to witness (though my shirt's ruined).

The second vehicle's passenger was conscious but with two shattered legs. She was also unrestrained. I can't say more about her because I kind of had my hands full.

Here's her car:

It's beat to hell because she was able to take out a stop light, toss a steel mailbox through a fence (Im guessing it was 30' roughly) and demolish the pictured statue/wall/storefront, though the storefront had some help from my victim's car.

From what I understand, the white 4door car I saw caused the wreck and fled the scene.

The above pictures were snapped from my blackberry after they had extracted everyone, sorry for the blurry, I was probably a little unsteady. How proper medics/emt's/doctors and similar can do their job without the shakes I'll never know. Massive trauma and panicked bystanders always make me a little jittery.

I'll post a link to the news story tomorrow. For now, I need a shower and something distracting. Wear your fucking seatbelts people.

donjulio

Re: Okay, I'm cursed (Yeah, another wreck, graphic pics inside)

Post by donjulio » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 am

Damn, crazy evening but thanks for the story and pics.

DeltaUpsilon

Post by DeltaUpsilon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:56 am

Nice post man, but you fail the law school ethics test: You should've asked the victim if she has an attorney on retainer, and if not, get her to agree to retain you for services! 8) Since its your first week we'll let it slide.

OTOH, good work and keeping the victim still while the EMS arrived.

R.I.P. Pat, a/k/a HK33k

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 am

Good onya, Gunny.

You really are starting to make a habit of this.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:48 am

You texted me this link, it's 4am and Jesus H Christ man - that's nuts. Good job but all I can say is that I would have rather gotten a link telling me I was on probation than this. I really hope neither of them were drinking and driving and that everyone was ok - aside from the lacerations and broken bones of course.
ImageImage

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:59 am

Good Job Gunny. 8) You are the man.

I know what you mean about the jitters and shakes. I'm no where near as trained as you, and I get them (for good reason). I have friends who are Medics who still get them, and they work with guys who are stone cold solid when working. Its amazing how many years of EMS work can steady your hands.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Mad_Maxx

Post by Mad_Maxx » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 am

Gunny for president! Epic work man, proper hero stuff! :D
Umbrella Corporation - International Biological Solutions
Vampire wrote:Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

Cyborg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, obviously.

Post by Cyborg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:59 am

Great work Gunny. Next time I have a car wreck I'll hope you're in the area.

On reflection is there anything you would do differently?
Strategic Intelligence Officer
UK Chapter.
ZS:X

phorsaken1
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything romero

Post by phorsaken1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 am

Excellent job Gunny. IMO, the best thing you could have done was to protect the airway and hold c-spine. Even "experienced" fire/ems guys get the shakes on hot calls. We always tell our FNGs to remember that this is NOT our emergency, its our JOB. This seems to help a lot at first. I know I've driven to several working structure fires with jello-legs. The worst part is the sheer exhaustion you feel after the adrenaline dump wears off. Stay safe and keep up the good work.
Oh squiggly line in my eye. I see you there lurking on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you do you return to the center of my eye? Oh squiggly line it's all right you are forgiven.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 am

The next time you're through Oklahoma, let me know you're coming, and I'll stay the hell home! I mean, seriously, does this shit just follow you around, or what? Maybe you should wear a sign or something. :lol:

Oh yeah, nice job on helping out.

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 am

Wow, maybe you should stop with the law school and become an EMT. :D

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by iloveash » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 am

Welcome to the South Side!!! Grand around 44 up to Arsenal is crazy, I refuse to drive on that stretch if at all possible. In one year I was first on the scene at 8 different wrecks on that stretch (I lived off Grand at the time).

Luckily I moved to an equally as crazy corner, averaging about 8 wrecks a year that have required me running outside with my FAK.....would hate to know how many more when I'm not home.

Good job & be careful, it's crazy out there!!!
I survived Z-Con 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
I survived Wintergeddon 07, 08, 09, 11, 12
ZS has swallowed my soul!

daviddulee

Post by daviddulee » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Great, my dog's vet is right down Grand near there and I have to go there tomorrow to get some heartguard and frontline. Hopefully the trip won't be nearly so eventful when I go.

Good job helping out. I guess people have the impulse to help even when they don't know what to do. Glad you kept them from moving her around and possibly hurting her back even more.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Good to hear that you kept your head Gunny. You keep on with this trend, much longer, and State Services is gonna have to start writing you a check every month.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:26 pm

I dunno man, I don't think you're cursed. I think that there are some people out there blessed enough that Gunny came around when they really needed it.

You're like the forum version of Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel. When he shows up, you KNOW it's too late to have evacuated already.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Gunny, you're supposed to CHASE the ambulances, not get there before them. Sheesh...lawyers.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 pm

BoneDoc wrote:Great work Gunny. Next time I have a car wreck I'll hope you're in the area.

On reflection is there anything you would do differently?
Different? I wish I would've had my C-Collar and another me to work on the other vehicle.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I would've done.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Good all over you, Gunny. How are you holding up after all that?
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

5.56 Disciple
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend

Post by 5.56 Disciple » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Holy shit dude! Good work!

I hope you never have to pull me out of a wreck when I go into town.
Gundown wrote:I always did want to fuck a muppet.

If you are asking people on the internet what rifle you should buy, you need a Garand.

AR, 1911, PIE!

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:45 am

Gunny, do you will accidents to happen? Are you lonely?
Gunny wrote:so I got to hold her and talk to her to keep her from moving....
bonanacrom wrote:That made no sense at all. I think it was meant to make me dumber, and it worked.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:13 am

Holy shit, another one? I guess you just seem to be in the right place at the right time to help these people. Good job mate.

Nexy

Post by Nexy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:57 am

I think someone should change your title to "Guardian Angel". Or Guardian Devil, whichever. ;) I hope that if I'm ever fucked in an RTA, someone like you will turn up to keep me alive. I reckon I'll be ok though, from what I've been told, the devil looks after his own, but that gal was blessed to have you turn up to help her.
ZSC:010- UK Chapter

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:19 pm

What the hell, Gunny? Another one??! The way I figure it, anyone inside Gunny's vehicle is safe. If you're outside Gunny's vehicle and you see Gunny's vehicle, you're doomed.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Your curse, another's blessing. Good job.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Return to “Survival Experiences”