Physical Training Log

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:28 pm

Wellmy recuriter took me and another out of shape recurit to the Y today and well I didnt do as poorly as I thought I would. I can tell the difference already and its sweet

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:57 pm

Still running, still doing push-ups. I'm trying to keep this thread alive. I was reminded that most of the posters on this topic aren't stretching, or at least they don't talk about it. Stretching is the most important start and finish to any work out. I stretch longer than I workout. I never feel sore, stiff, of tired the next day. Keep to your work out scheduals folks. THe survivors will thank you.
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:23 pm

I stretch every day, regardless of whether I work out or not. Gotta stay limber, especially when you've got a frame like me: Roughly 270 pounds -- Remember Tigris the Gaul from Gladiator, all fat an sinew? I'm like that, but with bigger arms. And, uh, legs. Ad better definition.

ANYWAYS!

That's just one of those things that happens to people like me who excercise for the benefit of power over tone or cardio: You lose agility and speed.

(This is not to say I think tone is useless; Stay on those thighmasters, girls. And this is not to say that I think cardio is useless, I do a weekly cardio workout)

Look at the Olympic powerlifter guys. Good God! Very little tone, but that is not the focus: How many of those guys you honestly think can still breathe comfortably when they're touching their toes?

Same thing at a karate dojo (Notice: Lame, Americanized, We'll-Teach-Your-Kids! karate) I once visited: There was a guy there who was a speedskater, and he had these huge legs but he couldn't touch his toes until he had trained for a few weeks.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:25 pm

I've been nursing an ankle injury for a month or so. It's really cut into my routine. The ligament on the outside of my left ankle is sprained, ad it's taking forever to heal.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:29 pm

I hope you are doing appropriate excercises to help mend the ankle...? Ankle-rolls and stuff are supposed to help... Don't take my word for it, you probably already know what you need to do.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:44 pm

That which does not kill us just hurts like a mutha-fuka...
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Methos

Post by Methos » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:48 pm

One of the great things about the human body though. If it gets messed up a bit, it heals twice as strong to prevent it.

I'm doing the usual karate classes, pushups, katas and those annoying crunches where you put your ass to the wall and crunch up.

I've pretty much given up on that whole "try DDR for a good cardiovascular workout" I lost 25 lbs, but I can do that by running and not look like a geek.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Agent Vesago

Post by Agent Vesago » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:24 am

Running Mon, Wed, Fri. Kickboxing Tues, Wed, Sat. Sun rest.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:55 pm

whats up guys, im 17, 150 pounds and 5'11. I play varsity lacrosse, Not to brag but im pretty good, ranked in the state as top 20. Umm right now im on a lifting program from my varsity coach and im pretty big cause ive been lifting every day since my sophmore year, and i can run like theres no end.
Last edited by Hunter for Hire on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:39 pm

Hunter for Hire wrote:If some of you aren't in the bestest of shape or if your in shape and would like to get big muscle wise, msg me and i can send you a workout routine that syracuse sent me because they want me to get even bigger before next year.
Why don't you post it (if it's not too long)? It would be nice to compare to my own.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Ghostfist

Post by Ghostfist » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:43 pm

Alright dammit, I'm going to do this. I've got a brand new Crossbow (think cheaper version of bowflex) and the only exersise I've gotten from it is putting it together.

I'm going to quit smoking too (AAAARRRRGH!)
And I'm going to get in shape.
And I'm going to start eating healthy.
And I'm going to be honest about it.

So there.
"SEE! SEE?!?! You didn't believe me! You called me a nut! But now there's ZOMBIES in the street, so SUCK IT!"
Jamoni

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:49 pm

Ghostfist wrote: I'm going to quit smoking too (AAAARRRRGH!)
This is a physical training log not a wish list. We just want to see acomplishments.

Get out there and do it!! I don't want to see you back in this thread until most of those things are accomplished soldier!!!
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:51 pm

kyle wrote:
Ghostfist wrote: I'm going to quit smoking too (AAAARRRRGH!)
This is a physical training log not a wish list. We just want to see acomplishments.

Get out there and do it!! I don't want to see you back in this thread until most of those things are accomplished soldier!!!
Or until you've bought enough ice cream to share with the rest of us.
Blergh

Ghostfist

Post by Ghostfist » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:52 pm

SIR YES SIR!!! Oops, shit sorry.
Be back tommorrow. :D
"SEE! SEE?!?! You didn't believe me! You called me a nut! But now there's ZOMBIES in the street, so SUCK IT!"
Jamoni

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:41 pm

Running a mile every mon,wed,fri. Inbetween ridding a bike two miles.

Doing between 40 -80 pushups every mon,wed,fri (depending if our hardcore airborne sargent is running PT) the same amount of pushups along with a variable amount of up-down Iron mike (people who went to fort benning will know that) side stradle hops and whatever they feel like running us through.

Its hardcore and I'm loving it.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:26 pm

jamoni if you want i could post the whole thing, but its set for me and others built like me, so you might have to do self modifications or i can help you out
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:34 pm

Hunter for Hire wrote:jamoni if you want i could post the whole thing, but its set for me and others built like me, so you might have to do self modifications or i can help you out
Jamoni? You mean Kyle. :)

I figured that. I'm just curious. I've been weight lifting on and off for over 17 years so I'm pretty comfortable with my routine. I just like to see what others are doing.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:20 pm

I've spent the past few days running a live-fire training exercise for my immune system. At first, my forces where beaten to the edge of disaster, but managed to rally their strength and push the opfor, aka "FLU" back. Victory seems eminent. So no workouts lately.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:20 am

I hit the gym about twice a week for 90 minutes each. This morning I was warming up, pressing 45lb dumbells. I looked over and there is a smoking SMOKING hot girl doing curls on the bench beside me. I had a 45lb in each hand all the way up, and I leaned my head further to get a better view of her ass. This caused my left shoulder to drop, and since I didn't notice it because I wasn't concentrating, my arm dipped out of the normal range of motion, past the point I could catch it. My arm started to twist in a real bad way, which also caused my to drop the weight, which of course landed right on my shoulder. Yay.
She heard the thunk of it hitting me, and then the floor, and looked over and smiled. She thought I was smiling back but it was me grimacing in pain. I don't think she noticed the tear runing out of my eye. My arm's allright but I've got a nice bruise.

The moral of the story?

Women are the tool of the devil.
:D

Anyway, I used to really push myself in the gym plus a pretty dedicated martial arts routine, but now not so much. Just want to stay in good enough shape so women don't run when they see me naked. As I said, gym twice a week for about 90 minutes. Plus I usualy go on two hikes a week, about two hours each. These are usualy pretty serious uphill climbs, and usually end me wishing I was dead.

And I chose the gym I'm at now because it is where all the local strippers work out.

My gym routine is split into two versions to break it up:
1:Start with 15 minutes of running or stair climbing.
Abs, shoulders, back, triceps. (in that order)
three different excercises per body part, with three sets of ten reps per excercise.

2:Start with 15 minutes of running or stair climbing.
Abs, chest, biceps, legs.
As with the other, three different excercies per body part, with three sets of ten reps per.

Then I do the hiking in between the lifting days.
One of the most important things with working out is to give you body the fuel it needs. The most important is SLEEP, but I also supplement with:
Creatine, glucosamine, glutamine, whey protein, and multi-vitamins. I used to do the ephedra too, combining it with caffine pills and asprin, but that started to get a little crazy.

Raccoon City Survivor

Post by Raccoon City Survivor » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:11 am

You guys want to get fit without buying expensive crap?

Look no further!

Dig a trench around your house.

Fill it in.

Repeat.

See? You just got a workout for the cost of a shovel! :D

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:05 pm

Remember to call the utility company before you dig. :D
Interestingly enough, making them dig a hole and fill it in was my motivational tool of choice for lazy soldiers who really pissed me off. Wish I could use it at my present job. :roll:

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:59 pm

Jamoni wrote:Remember to call the utility company before you dig. :D
Interestingly enough, making them dig a hole and fill it in was my motivational tool of choice for lazy soldiers who really pissed me off. Wish I could use it at my present job. :roll:
"Luke? What's all this dirt doing in my hole?"
"Digging it up here boss."
Blergh

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:13 pm

All I really do for physical activity is walk about 1 or 2 miles a day, and fence occasionally. Fortunately I have a high metabolism, so I only have 19% body fat. (for those not in the know, standard for my age is 19-25) My hope is to just get to a car when the zombacolypse occurs, as my dad taught me how to hotwire one when our key turner broke.

EDIT: Note I said once the zombacolypse occurs, not before then, so as to not break any laws.

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:53 pm

i started fencing once a week and now im eating pecans. getting pecans out of there little "nut homes" is very hard to do.
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Return to “Survival Experiences”