Insect Bite of doom

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cultentacle

Insect Bite of doom

Post by Cultentacle » Sun May 25, 2008 3:35 pm

So, I'm sure we've all had our share of nasty, itchy, painful insect bites. However, Saturday morning I got a regular mosquito looking bite on my arm. By Sunday morning the bite seemed to be covered from my wrist to an inch from my elbow and my arm was swollen. I've never had this happen to me before, but the nurses at the hospital told me these large inflamed bites are occurring more and more often now. Anyone know what might have caused this? or if I should carry something to prevent this type of inflammation in my FAK?

The doctor seems to think that it was an allergic reaction and told me to get a benadryl cream for it, which I did, but I'd still like to hear what you all have to say.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Insect Bite of doom

Post by raptor » Sun May 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Sounds like an allergic reaction or possibly a spider bite.

I get huge welts from "No See Ums" in the Bahamas. Pack insect repellant and wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants and socks when out and about. That alone should reduce your exposure and risk to bug bites. In addition avoid being exposed at dawn & dusk when mosquitos are most active. Prevention is the answer to insect bites and poison ivy/oak.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun May 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Sounds more like a spider bite. Be thankful that id was not a Brown Recluse spider bite. Those are very very very bad!

Does the cream seem to be working?

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Navygal_302

Post by Navygal_302 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:48 pm

I had similar bites appear after it turned out the barracks I was living in down in Norfolk were Cockroach infested. I kept waking up morning after morning with these welts and could not for the life of me figure out where they were coming from...finally figured it out when I got up in the middle of the night, flipped on the light and saw them scatter. Gotta love the cleanliness and conditions of our military housing in some areas! :lol:
You'd know though if you had cockroaches, or at least I'd assume you'd know. You're living in your own house or apartment right? Not a dorm or barracks somewhere? In my case, I didn't know everything about my living conditions because I had just moved onto the base. I had to find out the hard way. If the issue doesn't resolve itself in the near future you may want to consult an exterminator and have them check the place out.

Cultentacle

Post by Cultentacle » Sun May 25, 2008 8:01 pm

I was wearing long sleeves and long pants with bug repellent when I went backpacking. I'm normally pretty good in not getting any mosquito bites until their mating season hits. Thats why I was kinda curious about this bite. But you might be right, might be a spider bite of some sort, because I didn't feel the bite.

Navygal_302, I do live in a house, but I wasn't anywhere near it when I got bitten :P I must say, thats pretty darn nasty having to live in a housing facility with roaches. I'm usually not too squeamish when it comes to bugs, but thats pretty icky. Hopefully it was resolved for you.

razi

Post by razi » Mon May 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Navygal_302 wrote:I had similar bites appear after it turned out the barracks I was living in down in Norfolk were Cockroach infested. I kept waking up morning after morning with these welts and could not for the life of me figure out where they were coming from...finally figured it out when I got up in the middle of the night, flipped on the light and saw them scatter. .
I've been bitten by cockroaches before. it sucks. Not because it hurts, but the eew factor is really high. Though the look on people's faces when I tell 'em those buggers do bite is almost worth it.

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Mon May 26, 2008 4:44 pm

All they told you was that "it was an allergic reaction"?

Did the benadryl cream help?

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by LittleTeapot on Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Mon May 26, 2008 4:57 pm

Stack it with an oral benadryl and it should take out most reactions.

Has anyone got anything good to say for those bug-bite clickers?
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Cultentacle

Post by Cultentacle » Tue May 27, 2008 1:09 pm

The cream is working I think...the swelling has gone down a bit at least. All the doctor told me was that it was probably an allergic reaction. I think its just some super insect that bit me, something that I've never been bit by before. I've had big ugly bites before but none the size of my arm. Who knows maybe it was an allergic reaction? Maybe next time I should have some benadryl on me when I go backpacking.

AlphaMMA

Post by AlphaMMA » Thu May 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Speaking of skeeter bites... Me and my gal got a little tipsy last weekend, and the only place we had any privacy was in the middle of the woods (we were at a party in the woods). We hiked in the moonlight for a little bit, found a nice, dry, spot, and had our way.

Next day we were COVERED in mosquito bites. I have at least 100 on my body. I can't even count them all, since they're all up my back and butt, too. :lol:

Next time, I keep the weasel in the bag until we find some indoors. That, or I start EDCing a mosquito net.
EDK| EDC | BOB | IFAK
^ coming soon

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 am

TheLastRifleMan wrote:Sounds more like a spider bite. Be thankful that id was not a Brown Recluse spider bite. Those are very very very bad!

Does the cream seem to be working?
Just remember to see your doctor in the first 48 hours of a brown recluse bite (you can tell by the necrotic pimple of black goo that used to be your flesh) Because now they treat those with nitroglycerin patches as they are a vascular dilator and counteract the vascular constriction of the venom.

I got bit on the ass and have no scar to show for it. Although Nitro patches have some odd side effects but they can be a lot of fun
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Fri May 30, 2008 5:17 pm

I have had three friends bitten by the dreaded Brown Recluse. One lost a chunk from his ankle, another has a circular scare on his arm. Both were treated by hospitals and have done well.

The third was bitten on his finger and he used a poultice of broad leaf plantain to draw out the venom. His doctor was amazed he didn't loose his finger and has no scar.

We shall not sleep..."

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:19 am

Gnaw it off, better safe than sorry! It'll hurt for a bit, but you won't notice it after a while once the agony sets in.
ImageImage

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:23 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:I have had three friends bitten by the dreaded Brown Recluse. One lost a chunk from his ankle, another has a circular scare on his arm. Both were treated by hospitals and have done well.

The third was bitten on his finger and he used a poultice of broad leaf plantain to draw out the venom. His doctor was amazed he didn't loose his finger and has no scar.
More info on that, I never believed that something like that would work for that type of bite.
A link would be much appreciated.
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Its possible that the mosquitoes in the area are carrying some infection. They can pass stuff around from what I understand. You should see what happens to me if I get more than a couple of red ant bites. Looks like someone filled me with helium. Ick.

Cultentacle

Post by Cultentacle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Kathy in FL wrote:Its possible that the mosquitoes in the area are carrying some infection. They can pass stuff around from what I understand. You should see what happens to me if I get more than a couple of red ant bites. Looks like someone filled me with helium. Ick.
Infections are icky. The nurse at the hospital said I was lucky my arm wasn't infected 'cause I would have had to be on an IV drip for a week. But since I wasn't I don't think they were infected. I think they're just mutated super bugs of doom. As for the ant bites, that super sucks :( red ants can be nasty.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Navygal_302 wrote:I had similar bites appear after it turned out the barracks I was living in down in Norfolk were Cockroach infested. I kept waking up morning after morning with these welts.
thank you very much for totally horrifying me into a coma. ;) a new and exciting reason to dry-heave when encountering cockroaches. yeebieyeeesh. errghl.
Cultentacle wrote:I think they're just mutated super bugs of doom.
yeah, between the two of you I'm never sleeping again. ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Beanhead wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:I have had three friends bitten by the dreaded Brown Recluse. One lost a chunk from his ankle, another has a circular scare on his arm. Both were treated by hospitals and have done well.

More info on that, I never believed that something like that would work for that type of bite.
A link would be much appreciated.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I will ask him more about how he used the plantain on that bite. He is an expert on medicinal and edible plants and is in California right now teaching a class on survival and, what else, medicinal and edible plants.

We shall not sleep..."

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:35 am

My teenage daughter got a spider bite on her neck. It swelled up so much it looked like she had half of a ping pong ball taped to her neck. The doc said it was an allergic reaction, and gave her a steroid cream to apply to the affected area. It took more than a year, applying the cream every day, before the swelling disappeared altogether.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Every survivalist worth his or her salt should have both Benadryl tablets on hand.

Add some to your IFAK when you get a chance.

gitarmac
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend
28 days later

Post by gitarmac » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 pm

I think some of the claims of spider bites might be exaggerated. I am a microbiologist and also a hiker, I barge through the woods hitting spider webs all the time. I used to to jump around when I felt a spider but I've gotten so used to it I don't even react anymore.

Anyhoo, back to my story. One of my coworkers said "It's wierd how all these spider bites are mrsa postive". So I googled spider bites and the first thing that came up was an article on overdiagnosis of spider bites in the ER. It mentioned such things as people not remembering being bitten, no dead spiders brought in, so on and so forth. According to the article the fear of spider bites was leading to improper treatment because the so-called spider bites were really mrsa abcesses (or other bacteria)

Not trying to dissagree or argue, just reporting what I have read. I tried to find that article recently but couldn't, didn't try hard though. It's amazing how much MRSA is out there though.

On another note, sometimes I try to impress my friends by handling the big hairy wolf spiders, or other non widow or recluse spiders. People are afraid of them and they hollar and scream while I do this, great fun! Sometimes I loose my nerve and flinch and the spider wins. If one bites me someday I will post the results, maybe some pics. :mrgreen:
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Fuck a bunch of spiders.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:23 pm

Another concern in the American South, though much moreso in the Caribbean/Central American areas is Human Botflies. They catch and lay their eggs on mosquitos, the eggs fall off when near body heat (you) and the little blighters hatch and eat into you. They then grow there for weeks, causing tremendous pain, eventually (if you're poor/dumb enough to let them do so) become adult flies and burst out of your skin to fly away and mate, then catch some mosquitos. Horrible bastards.

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nightmares may ensue if you click on that. Just FYI.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Australian White Tail Spider bites. <---- FYI: Clicking on this link and the links contained therein will also cause potential nightmares.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Return to “Survival Experiences”