It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:48 am 

I know any true EDC guy has had those moments where people had to say something or had moments where people were like "WTH? or OMFG"

Sometime in February at my job I was putting something into this guys Hummer and it wouldn't fit with the box, So I pull out my Byrd Cara Cara tactical Black SS model.

The guy who is the father of a girl who works at my job says "WOW YOU CAN HURT SOMEBODY WITH THAT, THATS LIKE A DEER SKINNING KNIFE"

I thought to myself "I can hurt somebody with many things dumba$$"

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:54 am 

Carrying my Maxpedition bag while shopping in local Home Depot, the 400# slob of a clerk in the tile section says to me, "That bag looks like you're going to war, heh-heh." I just ignore it and keep shopping. I pass his department later and fat guy says it again.
WTF :?

While waiting in a Drs. office I was getting kleenex for my kid, and a lady saw my flashlight, a protein bar, and rain poncho in the same pocket and gave me a knowing look. I don't know if she could guess some of the other contents or if she was just impressed by the speedy application of my mad 'daddy skillz'.

BeerandGuns wrote:
.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 am 

I get that at work everyday with my Maxpedition Versipack.

"Anyone got a needle and thread?" "I do" ... "Wow"
"Anyone got cough drops?" "I do" ... "Thanks!"
"Anyone got a flashlight?" "I do" ... "Man, you're scary."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:01 am 

One girl at my job when she saw my knife asked me

"WOW, HAVE YOU EVER STABBED ANYBODY WITH THAT?"

I just looked at her like "WTF?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:04 am 

OhioMe wrote:
Carrying my Maxpedition bag while shopping in local Home Depot, the 400# slob of a clerk in the tile section says to me, "That bag looks like you're going to war, heh-heh." I just ignore it and keep shopping. I pass his department later and fat guy says it again.
WTF :?

While waiting in a Drs. office I was getting kleenex for my kid, and a lady saw my flashlight, a protein bar, and rain poncho in the same pocket and gave me a knowing look. I don't know if she could guess some of the other contents or if she was just impressed by the speedy application of my mad 'daddy skillz'.
LOL What does your Maxepedition bag look like?

So what happened with the lady afterwards, did you try anything?

Disregard the question if you aren't single Ohio me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:35 am 

Not really negative , but after I used the saw on my Leatherman at work a co-worker said "You and all your Boy Scout shit...." :roll:

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:47 am 

I was at a sci-fi convention in, of all places, Madison, Wi. Things were wrapping up, & the folks from the hospitality suite dropped by the gaming area with some fresh fruit & other goodies. I pop out my pocket knife (a S&W SWAT) to slice my orange into wedges and you'd think I'd started juggling live grenades. It's just a plain ol' pocketknife. A little large but not excessively so, and it's bright stainless instead of some tacticool black or cammo.

Ok, maybe the fact I opened it with just a quick flip of the wrist might have something to do w/ the reaction... :oops:

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:41 pm 

I pulled out my CRKT M16-13Z to open my daughter's freeze-pop at a ball game once. The mother of another kid on the team with my son sees the knife and says, "Geesh, rambo. Why do you carry a knife?".

About a half-hour later, her daughter goes to the concession stand and comes back with a freeze pop. Neither of them could get it open, so who do they ask? :roll:

I didn't get any flack for using it to open that freeze pop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:09 pm 

"What else you got in there?" Is always a question that follows the use of EDC. It's also the most important thing to dodge in most situations.

I think just about anyone around me knows to ask if they need something now. At the start of my ED(kit)C days I would get a lot of "well, ok" reactions to my "kits". Now, it is just assumed by those who know me that I have one of what they need. I think I give away as many clif bars as I eat in a month.

Aside from a knife or two, it is ONLY an issue because I am Male. Ask a woman to turn out her purse and compare contents. Then tell her "I just made mine look more manly." This has worked for me to stop the questions. Tell a person with a purse/diaper bag, "now, take out of those bags only what you can fit in your front and back jean pockets! Welcome to my world!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:52 pm 

I offered a friend of mine a bottle of water one time, and when I opened the truck of my car to get it he said, "Jeez, you could survive a nuke attack with all that."

I took it as a compliment. :lol:

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:58 pm 

I get some odd looks whenever I flick open my sog pocket knife.

The strangest one was when I was at the doctor's office and a nurse was trying to open a package. I flicked open my knife and said, "here you go, try this", she gave me a wierd look but the knife sliced open the package like a hot knife through butter. She then said, "damn! that's pretty sharp." All I could do was laugh.

I don't really mind especially when someone needs something cut and I'm the first one they come to.

Zoltan wrote:
Chimps are fucking dangerous

Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:11 pm 

Over the years my friends and some co-workers learned to just come ask me for stuff. Like elricfate, I always have it or can get something to work. My walk out bag has turned into my 'field closet' of solutions. I don't EDC it but it goes with me in the truck on trips.

I was once asked,"What..are you some kind soldier?" At the time I still was so I said, "Yeah, somthing like that." I think he felt stupid for his comment because he shut up and left. Ha!

Now it's as if I wear a shirt that says,"I can solve/fix your problem. Just ask me." I can't of course but...
:wink:

Dk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

As with others in this thread, people jokingly look to me whenever they need anything...but they're glad that I have it...whatever it is...

nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 pm 

Yea well I never get comments about the knife as I go to a school where everyone has a knife it would seem. On the otherhand when I asked someone who had just cut themselfs if they wanted a bandaid I got a "what the fuck you carry around a bandaid" look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:34 pm 

The most complimentary of the phrases said to me in regard to my EDC was something along the lines of

"If you ever go missing, at least we'll know we don't have to worry about coming to find you."

I'm called 'Survivorman' and 'Benihana' (because of the number of knives I carry), sometimes as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My pocket knife is a gerber paraframe, so it doesn't get too many second looks. (at least here, in central Texas...)

What's been more fun is to be somewhere and someone say "Man, I wish I had some duct tape to stick that back together...." Then I pull out one of the short rolls, and people's mouth's drop open. Zip ties are your friend too.

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:47 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:
Zip ties are your friend too.

Reminds me, we were at a New Year's party and the hosts had moved the dining room table out of the way. A friend over 6' tall goes walking into the dining room, well into his cups, and smacks his head on the light that is normally a couple feet over the table. He said it was like the 10th time that had happened. I zip tied the thing up (lowest link to highest) and got ribbed pretty bad about it, until they realized they weren't ducking or hurting anymore:)

ETA: Just realized most of my "preps to the rescue" stories involve some manner of party, adult beverages, or similar situation... I hope that stays true for the rest of my days! Prepare for the nukes, but continue to have a good time!~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:50 pm 

If there are nukes, I hope to be vaporized while holding a glass of scotch.

Otherwise, I'm preparing for other issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm 

elricfate wrote:

That's step 1 of the 2 step survival plan.

Step 1: survive the first 5 minutes of the movie; Step 2: come up with a better plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:03 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

elricfate wrote:

That statement is so full of win . Totally agree!

+100000 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm 

I've had a very negative reaction to my EDC. A guy in work saw my leatherman knife and asked to see it. He's a regular customer so I obliged. He used a piece of paper to pick it up like it was a dog turd and started turning it around looking at it. When I asked what the fuck he was doing he said,

"I don't want my prints on this thing. I don't know who you've stabbed."

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm 

elricfate wrote:
If there are nukes, I hope to be vaporized while holding an empty glass of scotch.

Fixed :wink:

My EDC blade always gets me the same reactions as listed above. I like to remind them that 50 years ago, a male without a pocketknife would be unusual.

People think its strange that I carry a mini maglite on my belt as my EDC. I remember one time I went to Liberty Island in New Jersey to see the Statue of Liberty... They might as well have made me strip naked to go through the metal detector. One security lady flipped out when she saw the empty nylon pouch for my maglite on my belt (maglite was in the x-ray bucket). I thought these people were trained?

I can't wait to see what TSA thinks about my EDC (minus anything illegal). Probably should put everything in a carry on bag, but FUCK if I'm going to go through a plane crash without my belt full of junk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:46 pm 

I routinely hear stupid comments on my BokerPlus Reality-Based Blade Tactical Folder. And, no one seems to understand why I carry a lighter even though I don't smoke. I also have a reputation for having a "thing for flashlights". So...yeah...I get grief over my EDC on a regular basis.

Last edited by Tactical Badger on Thu May 22, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:55 pm 

I don't get grief, exactly...but a friend once told me that my superhero power would to have one of whatever the team needed to get through the crisis.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next