In the Dark...prep for young children

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9345
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later
Location: Adirondacks, NY
Contact:

In the Dark...prep for young children

Post by Jamie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:38 pm

I'm not a big fan of glow-sticks for most emergency applications, but...

In the last year, we've lost our power a dozen times, once was over night...

I went camping with my son this last weekend...

The dark of a night without and/or away from power can be more scary for children than adults can understand, but you don't always want to use up battery power to provide light...

Image

These glow sticks come 15 to a pack from our dollar store, and last for 2 nights (although they're much less bright the 2nd night)...I used them in power outages to light the hallway/woodstove/stairs and my son's bedroom and when my son slept in new places without a night light...

At $0.07 per stick, it is well worth having a couple of tubes of them in your house/car/workplace...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

Image
My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 am

That's hot NFA. 8)

it's one of the things i've been trying to think around for my 4yr old girl, to overcome the darkness of 'deep in the boonies camping/city blackouts/zpaw bol hideout'

...'cos nothin' chews up batteries faster around here than the 4yr old with one of daddy's torches...

dunno if i'll be able to snaffle the same type here in australia but the cheap "rave" style jobs should do a similar job for as cheap - maybe/maybe not. :?

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:30 am

did some digging, apparently can get a deal on this type http://www.kitbag.com.au/category830_1.htm that will bring the price down close to your price (in australia currency) me and the 4yr old are happier now.

thanks for the idea. :)

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Indiana
* *
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:36 am
Location: Australia

Post by Indiana » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:38 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:did some digging, apparently can get a deal on this type http://www.kitbag.com.au/category830_1.htm that will bring the price down close to your price (in australia currency) me and the 4yr old are happier now.

thanks for the idea. :)

-
Australia Only Try the party items isle at Woolworths they have mini glow sticks in a four pack for five dollars and also the thin ones. The pack like NFA had you can get at the dollar store, like Chickenfeed or whatever is in your state.

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:46 am

Indiana wrote:Australia Only Try the party items isle at Woolworths they have mini glow sticks in a four pack for five dollars and also the thin ones. The pack like NFA had you can get at the dollar store, like Chickenfeed or whatever is in your state.
They're called the "two dollar shop" over here in teh west. (damn interstate freight costs, even dollar stores in the east are two dollar stores by the time they getover here. :lol:

gotcha, thanks for the heads up Indiana. :)
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Location: Hampshire, England

Post by sheddi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:32 am

My little boy loves glowsticks too. Here in the UK, they're available from Poundland (in packs, for £1) - although finding them in stock can be a challenge :roll:
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!


Member
ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

User avatar
TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 pm
Location: Australian Outback

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:43 am

Shoot me a PM with an addy, and I can get you a shit load of these things.

Mate is a promoter for a few shit trance clubs over here, and those buggers *still* wear/use them by the ton.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

ais4122
* * * * *
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:38 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Location: New York

Post by ais4122 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:19 am

I am a hugh fan of chemlights (glow sticks) I used them in the military for all sorts of applications. They will be great in an emergency. Stores usually have them for anywhere from $1-$2 a piece. That is a rip off. I purchased in bulk. Got a box of 100 for only 49 cents a piece. I use them to light the halloween pumpkins, trick or treating, hunting, camping and off course when the power goes out. Good shelf life on them, I consider them a necessity for my disaster prepartions. :lol:

User avatar
FirstToFall
* *
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:10 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (original)
Location: St. Louis, Mo

Shelf Life

Post by FirstToFall » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:35 am

I can attest to their shelf life. I had a couple dirt cheap chem lights I bought one Halloween and lost them in a drawer for awhile. Several years (approx. 3.5) later I found them and cracked one to test. It glowed with expected brightness for about half as long as I expected but still retained some glow the next evening.
It's not much, but it's more than I had before.

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:56 am

TheGunslinger wrote:Shoot me a PM with an addy, and I can get you a shit load of these things.

Mate is a promoter for a few shit trance clubs over here, and those buggers *still* wear/use them by the ton.
no worrys, ta for that - i used to run one of those shit trance clubs back in the day, if the lighting rig ever smoked the 19th century power supply into the building (which it did, often) evac when insisted on by the authoritys was never a drama, just follow the path of glowstick detritus to the exit!

FirstToFall, ais4122, there's a hallowe'en/glowstick connection i'd never considered before but i do remember a mate chewing through one by accident once...

...i'll never forget the look of horror on his face... ...as it was illuminated from inside his mouth! pretty hallowe'eny. :lol:
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Shelf Life

Post by sheddi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:41 pm

FirstToFall wrote:I can attest to their shelf life.
Bear in mind that these things are oxygen-sensitive, which is why they're sold in aluminised packets. Once you take them out of the packet the air gets to them and they start ageing.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!


Member
ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Indiana
* *
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:36 am
Location: Australia

Post by Indiana » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:38 pm

This is another way around it.

Image

Here I have mixed glow powder and epoxy resin and syringed it into a small length of aquarium plastic tubing. A fishing swivel on the end holds a split ring I can put onto my pack. This will absorb enough ambient light from INSIDE the house to glow for 10 hours. Last time I went camping I had to cover the glow stick as it threw off enough light to keep me awake.

This one is about an inch long but there is no reason it can't be longer.

Beauty of these is they keep going, during the day they charge up for the night.

ais4122
* * * * *
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:38 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Location: New York

Post by ais4122 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Back in the mid 80's when the chem light hit the military supply rooms, we used them for our field training exercises. One summer, the movie Gremlins was very popular. A group of troops started playing football at night using the chemlight as the ball, all the while screeching "bright light, bright light". Eventually one guy stomped the chem light (why, I dont know) and it exploded open, splashing him with the glowing chemical liquid. It got him in his eye, and a medivac helo had to be called in, due to our distance from the hospital. To mark the landing zone we had him lay in on the ground holding his injured eye open. true story, all except him marking the LZ.

User avatar
Milkboot
* * * * *
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:38 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by Milkboot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

I am headed to the dollar store after work, Gonna need some for my neice this year for Halloween anyways.Author Message
ais4122 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:47 pm Post subject:

Indiana, I love that idea! I had always wonderd if something like that would work, never saw why it wouldnt.


Great, now the dollar store and the toy store where I saw some of the powder once before!

User avatar
phoenixmastm
* * * * *
Posts: 4436
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.
Location: Chicago (again...)
Contact:

Post by phoenixmastm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:46 pm

Indiana wrote:This is another way around it.

Image

Here I have mixed glow powder and epoxy resin and syringed it into a small length of aquarium plastic tubing. A fishing swivel on the end holds a split ring I can put onto my pack. This will absorb enough ambient light from INSIDE the house to glow for 10 hours. Last time I went camping I had to cover the glow stick as it threw off enough light to keep me awake.

This one is about an inch long but there is no reason it can't be longer.

Beauty of these is they keep going, during the day they charge up for the night.
Wow, I need to get me a couple of those. :D
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

User avatar
airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2841
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 am
Location: Sarasota, FL
Contact:

Post by airballrad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:49 pm

You know, when I first saw the topic of this thread, I was sure that it was referring to the legend of power outages leading to kids 9 months later...
:oops: :lol:

ZedsDeadBaby
* *
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: GWN, WI
Contact:

Post by ZedsDeadBaby » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:07 pm

give the kid a hand crank flashlight. sooner or later they will get tired of making light and fall asleep
G19 | Superior AR15HBAR | 870HD | Savage 30-06
Image

User avatar
HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:19 am
Location: Guarding the Cheddar Curtain
Contact:

Post by HurricaneDad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:32 pm

ZedsDeadBaby wrote:give the kid a hand crank flashlight. sooner or later they will get tired of making light and fall asleep
Excellent thinking! I was at Gander Mountain the other day and saw a pump-dynamo flashlight. I had one when I was a wee lad, and I remember that it was fun for about 45 seconds. It didn't store any charge, so when my forearm got tired, that was it. :)

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:16 am

Indiana wrote:This is another way around it.

Here I have mixed glow powder and epoxy resin and syringed it into a small length of aquarium plastic tubing. A fishing swivel on the end holds a split ring I can put onto my pack. This will absorb enough ambient light from INSIDE the house to glow for 10 hours. Last time I went camping I had to cover the glow stick as it threw off enough light to keep me awake.

This one is about an inch long but there is no reason it can't be longer.

Beauty of these is they keep going, during the day they charge up for the night.
that's brilliant, you aussies are so dang clever :wink:

ais4122 wrote:Back in the mid 80's when the chem light hit the military supply rooms, we used them for our field training exercises. One summer, the movie Gremlins was very popular. A group of troops started playing football at night using the chemlight as the ball, all the while screeching "bright light, bright light". Eventually one guy stomped the chem light (why, I dont know) and it exploded open, splashing him with the glowing chemical liquid. It got him in his eye, and a medivac helo had to be called in, due to our distance from the hospital. To mark the landing zone we had him lay in on the ground holding his injured eye open. true story, all except him marking the LZ.
hahaha :lol: i can sooo see that!

ZedsDeadBaby wrote:give the kid a hand crank flashlight. sooner or later they will get tired of making light and fall asleep
not my four year old...
...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...whhhirr...whhirrr..whhhirr...whhhirr...
whhhirr...
GO TO SLEEP CHILD!

...trust me on that, i used to run a hardware/rural supplies store and i
skanked one from a sales rep for use in my ol' truck which ain't got no interior lights...
...it puts "...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?...
...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?...
...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?...
...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?...
...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?...
...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?...
...arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?arewethereyet?..."

in the shade.

:lol:
-
Last edited by Tetra Grammaton Cleric on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:19 am
Location: Guarding the Cheddar Curtain
Contact:

Post by HurricaneDad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:24 am

Cleric, please, PLEASE add a few spaces in your post right above me here. The long lines (whirr...whirr...whirr and ..arewethereyet?arewethereyet? ) made me have to scroll, and scrolling sucks. ;)

Thanks!

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:17 am

medic wrote:Cleric, please, PLEASE add a few spaces in your post right above me here. The long lines (whirr...whirr...whirr and ..arewethereyet?arewethereyet? ) made me have to scroll, and scrolling sucks. ;)

Thanks!
oops sorry dude.

fixed it.

omfgbbq i broke teh intrawebz!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

:shock: :oops:

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:19 am
Location: Guarding the Cheddar Curtain
Contact:

Post by HurricaneDad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:34 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
medic wrote:Cleric, please, PLEASE add a few spaces in your post right above me here. The long lines (whirr...whirr...whirr and ..arewethereyet?arewethereyet? ) made me have to scroll, and scrolling sucks. ;)

Thanks!
oops sorry dude.

fixed it.

omfgbbq i broke teh intrawebz!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

:shock: :oops:

-
Thanks, man. COuld you also fix the "arewethereyet?" line?

Teh intarwebz will heal. ;)

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:18 am

medic wrote:
Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
medic wrote:Cleric, please, PLEASE add a few spaces in your post right above me here. The long lines (whirr...whirr...whirr and ..arewethereyet?arewethereyet? ) made me have to scroll, and scrolling sucks. ;)

Thanks!
oops sorry dude.

fixed it.

omfgbbq i broke teh intrawebz!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

:shock: :oops:

-
Thanks, man. COuld you also fix the "arewethereyet?" line?

Teh intarwebz will heal. ;)
d'oh! thought i'd got that suckah the first time.

that should fix it... ...side scrolling kinda takes the funny right out of the post.


i will rely on your medic'ness to heal teh intrawebz.

being a cleric don't really help when trying to heal the net, all the OMFG's tends to make the divine being somewhat like the villagers in 'the boy who cried wolf'...

...God said: "WHAT NOW! dang 1337speekers, one day so help me me i'm gonna smote 'em up a can o' apocalyptic whoopass."

:)
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:19 am
Location: Guarding the Cheddar Curtain
Contact:

Post by HurricaneDad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:51 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote: d'oh! thought i'd got that suckah the first time.

that should fix it... ...side scrolling kinda takes the funny right out of the post.


i will rely on your medic'ness to heal teh intrawebz.

being a cleric don't really help when trying to heal the net, all the OMFG's tends to make the divine being somewhat like the villagers in 'the boy who cried wolf'...

...God said: "WHAT NOW! dang 1337speekers, one day so help me me i'm gonna smote 'em up a can o' apocalyptic whoopass."

:)
-
Yay! That fixed it good. Thank you!

Now, it seems that you may need to confirm that you have had your dose today. We wouldn't want Father to end up losing one of His Clerics, would we?

(Equilibrium was a KICK ass movie! Yay gun katta fu!)

Post Reply

Return to “Survival Experiences”