What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
eugene
* * * * *
Posts: 2201
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by eugene » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Bought three thorn-resistant tubes for my mountain bike, one for each wheel and one for a spare. I bought it used a few years ago and don't know how old the tubes are. Going to make sure its 100% ready if needed. Plan to swap them out this weekend.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

tony d tiger
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:25 am

Got my immunizations up-to-date.
Had a physical.
Drank some soju. :awesome:
Tony D

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 am

tony d tiger wrote:Got my immunizations up-to-date.
Had a physical.
Drank some soju. :awesome:
Soju is good for whatever ails you! :mrgreen:

tony d tiger
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:39 am

True dat!
Tony D

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Beowolf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:13 pm

I finally broke down and bought one of those MTM 'ammo crate' plastic boxes. Got delivered today. I got the ACR4-18 model--inside specs 13x9x4.8". Seems pretty useful!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Beowolf wrote:I finally broke down and bought one of those MTM 'ammo crate' plastic boxes. Got delivered today. I got the ACR4-18 model--inside specs 13x9x4.8". Seems pretty useful!
Pics? :)

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Beowolf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:30 pm

I still one use Photobucket, so no pics at the moment.

Stock photo (if it works):

https://smhttp-ssl-ozark.nexcesscdn.net ... 19745A.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Beowolf wrote:I still one use Photobucket, so no pics at the moment.

Stock photo (if it works):

https://smhttp-ssl-ozark.nexcesscdn.net ... 19745A.jpg
Thanks.

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Beowolf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm thinking about making it a toolbox for my Jeep. But I can think of so many uses.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4231
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by teotwaki » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:52 pm

Hauled 50 pounds of comms gear uphill for 2.5 miles and hauled a mostly empty pack downhill for 2.5 miles :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by taipan821 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:38 am

attended a course for fighting bush fires so I am more prepared for the coming fire season
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

tony d tiger
* *
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:16 am

Chowed down on pizza with my Korean neighbor. :awesome:

...also, pedaled 2 miles to base and back this morning, before the HwangSa got too bad.
Tony D

User avatar
Barnabus
* * *
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Jefferson County, Alabama

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Barnabus » Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 am

Finally got my Wazoo cache belt recently from the kickstarter campaign.

video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w20Vnd9kFuc

Image

now I'm trying to decide what to put in it.

So far I'm thinking of this

camping chain saw
Image

square of aluminum foil

bandana

mini flashlight
Image

ferro rod

box cutter

small flat kinife

potassium iodide

zip ties

zip lock bag

P38

money
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."
Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 02, 2018 8:57 am

So, it's like an undercover Bat-Belt, but for preppers.....

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 pm

One belt to rule them all
One belt to find them
One belt to attach dozens of EDC supplies
And in the darkness bind them
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Beowolf » Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm

I received my first emergency shovel or survival shovel or whatever you want to call it.

31" Iunio multi-function shovel from Amazon for $34.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by flybynight » Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm

IT LIVES !!! Picked up a 1980 IH Cub Cadet 782 with mower deck, three point tiller , front blade and receiver ball hitch to go on the three point , last weekend and got it running this morning. I'm so excited . This thing is built like a tank.
It looks like this
Image

ETA also got wheel weights and chains with it.

There's hundreds of videos of these things on YT

https://binged.it/2KBlaAZ

I'm turning back the hands of time

1960 IH B-275 tractor

1972 GMC pick up

and now the 782. Piss on you :lol: EMP
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 06, 2018 2:33 pm

flybynight wrote:IT LIVES !!! Picked up a 1980 IH Cub Cadet 782 with mower deck, three point tiller , front blade and receiver ball hitch to go on the three point , last weekend and got it running this morning. I'm so excited . This thing is built like a tank.
It looks like this
Image

ETA also got wheel weights and chains with it.

There's hundreds of videos of these things on YT

https://binged.it/2KBlaAZ

I'm turning back the hands of time

1960 IH B-275 tractor

1972 GMC pick up

and now the 782. Piss on you :lol: EMP
You are a manly man. You do manly things.

kesomik
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by kesomik » Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 am

I need to clean up my garage this weekend. Now, Just order a new small flashlight https://tacticalflashlightguide.com/outlite-a100/ and expecting delivery tomorrow.
Last edited by kesomik on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need to know.........

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Brekar » Sat May 12, 2018 12:40 am

Pulled this heavy bastard out of the field and got it running. Working with my father on getting all of it original with only a few upgrades to make it easier on the body to drive.

It has an old inline 6 cylinder with points that had not been started since my grandfather died in 1973, and it has sat in one form or another, outside ever since, usually in fence lines like this, and surprisingly has no real bad damage. My dad drove it up onto that trailer after about 10 minutes of tinkering, a redneck gas tank, and a new battery.
The only real damage was my brother shot out the back window as an "accident" when he was 17, and at some point in the last year some throbbing asshole stole the radiator, and all the wiring they could cut off from under the hood.

It has those old school split rims and I think 17 inch tires with tubes on it and no one wants to/will work on those style rims any more. As you can see 3 of the 4 tires held air without any issues...

No power steering or shocks make for one rough ride...

Image

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Just wrapping up three days of prepping for the rest of my life... About to be discharged, but came into The hospital ER early Wednesday morning with what I thought was really (really) bad heartburn that had been bothering me all day Tuesday at work. My wife tried me to go in, but like a stubborn jackass, I thought it’d get better. After a restless night of increasing pain, finally came in...convinced it would be a gall bladder issue at the worst.

Well, turns out I had a heart attack.

So two stints in my left artery (100% blocked) on Tuesday, then another two in the right side (95% blocked) yesterday. Luckily the hospital has a great cardiac catheter lab and I was even conscious for a lot of both procedures.

I feel 100% better...but this was a huge wakeup call for me.

So, lots of life changes...mostly more exercise and a better diet. Kind of like I used to do... more to follow.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:07 am

Damn, man. So glad you're okay!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2656
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 am

91Eunozs wrote:Just wrapping up three days of prepping for the rest of my life... About to be discharged, but came into The hospital ER early Wednesday morning with what I thought was really (really) bad heartburn that had been bothering me all day Tuesday at work. My wife tried me to go in, but like a stubborn jackass, I thought it’d get better. After a restless night of increasing pain, finally came in...convinced it would be a gall bladder issue at the worst.

Well, turns out I had a heart attack.

So two stints in my left artery (100% blocked) on Tuesday, then another two in the right side (95% blocked) yesterday. Luckily the hospital has a great cardiac catheter lab and I was even conscious for a lot of both procedures.

I feel 100% better...but this was a huge wakeup call for me.

So, lots of life changes...mostly more exercise and a better diet. Kind of like I used to do... more to follow.
Glad you are ok, bud. Been there, done that. For the next 6 month pay attention to your body messages. Reason I say this is my stints kept collapsing. They tried twice more to reopen them, nope. Double bypass was the solution.

Oh, and the hair will grow back. You know what I mean. :lol:
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Beowolf wrote:Damn, man. So glad you're okay!
Thanks! Me too! :lol:
NamelessStain wrote:Glad you are ok, bud. Been there, done that. For the next 6 month pay attention to your body messages. Reason I say this is my stints kept collapsing. They tried twice more to reopen them, nope. Double bypass was the solution.

Oh, and the hair will grow back. You know what I mean. :lol:
:lol: I do indeed!

All that prep just in case, but they were able to go in through my wrist...same wrist both times as a matter of fact. Healing up nicely, but man do I have some bruises...this is from this morning:

Image

I waited a couple days longer than required because the the clear post-surgical “bandage” was holding up so well, but it’s removed here, and just about to peel the antibacterial gel off to put on a regular dressing.

Yeah, collapsing stents is kind of my main worry right now, but mine are platinum-coated chromium that are also drug-coated with what’s essentially anti-rejection meds to help them “grow” into the artery. These here: http://www.bostonscientific.com/en-US/p ... ystem.html. All four of mine are a diffrent diameter and length...customized for each location I suppose.

Feeling pretty good though... Adjusting to the diet’s been the hardest part. I’m not ridiculously overweight, but I definitely need to drop a few pounds and start exercising more after this week ofjust recuperating.

Logging into work from home but trying to stay disengaged too...pretty sure work stress was what pushed me over the edge. Maybe a blessing in disguise since this was considered a minor heart attack, if there is such a thing. A few years down the line who knows how much worse the condition my arteries would have been.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Post Reply

Return to “Survival Experiences”