What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by teotwaki » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Spent 6 hours hiking in the local mountains
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Bought more ammo. :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:31 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 pm
Tell us you got the good stuff!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:31 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 pm
Tell us you got the good stuff!
I have some on order with Target Sports USA. We'll see Monday or Tuesday if it ships.

Today I bought a case of Fiocchi 9mm 124gr FMJ, another of .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ, and 100 rounds of 12 gauge slugs, all for practice.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Spent 5 hours hiking in the local forest. Found a neat off trail spot that would be good for a stealth camp, playing at bushcraft or just having lunch.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:29 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:16 pm
Spent 5 hours hiking in the local forest. Found a neat off trail spot that would be good for a stealth camp, playing at bushcraft or just having lunch.
Your post just told me that I need to explore my close area here.

ty. :)

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:42 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:29 pm
Your post just told me that I need to explore my close area here.

ty. :)
I will look forward to your reports!

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 pm

I just recertified for the NOLS Wilderness First Aid course.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:13 pm

I finally got a UPS for my CPAP. It was a huge hole in my preps. Emergency power is a work-in-progress at Bunker de MP. :crazy:

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Ghostdog914 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:48 pm

My wife isn’t 100% into being prepared, but doesn’t mind when she needs a can or jar of something so I can’t go crazy when we go shopping. Today I tubbed up February’s sneaky purchases.

22 cans veggies/fruit
5 pounds flour
4 pounds powdered milk
3 pounds spaghetti
1 canister butter cream frosting
1 vanilla cake mix
2 package Spanish rice
1 box Spanish rice
1 package creamy chicken rice
3 10oz cans chicken
2 packages mashed potatoes
6 packets oat meal
250 packets no calorie sweetener
14 hormel compleats
3 cans sardines in hot sauce

I ask for 2 Compleats a week for work and sometimes grab an extra when they are on sale, but she doesn’t realize I rarely eat them because I’m dieting and eat our left overs. The sweetener was a goof up from Walmart pick up they didn’t want back so I threw it in.

March is more dry goods so I managed another 3# of rice and 4# of beans today. Not as diversified as I’d like but with a uncooperative spouse sort of random is best I can do. I just try for an extra can or package of whatever I can, and the compleats are my poor man version of MREs, just not near the calories unfortunately.

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 pm

I had a day of force on force handgun training. Sim rounds make training a lot more interesting.

Then I spent a few hours with an instructor discussing whether or not to use a joint lock for pain compliance versus just breaking the joint in a confrontation scenario.; I am an assistant martial arts instructor. The downside to that discussion is why I own multiple ice packs.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:56 am

Isn't huge, but getting rid of some junk from my house. I know that prepping tends to go by the Ferengi Rules of Acquistion, but I think getting rid of extraneous stuff will make it easier and more efficient to reach other other masses of stuff that I really need. Even eyeing getting rid of some of my cooking equipment, which I thought I would never say. But, I'm not sure any human needs 3 potato mashers.

Also, cleaned out my garden bed so I can maybe attempt to plant cold weather/early plants tomorrow. But, may have to do an additional step of replenishing some of the soil. There are a lot of worms and other lovely little critters in it, but I still worry it is a little worn down, particularly in my containers.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:19 pm

And today I traded my Xbox 1 for a better plate carrier I can use at work or whenever it would be needed. Part of my health plan is getting rid of bad influences such as games. Instead of getting blasted by angry 12 year olds jacked up on energy drinks in multiplayer I have been walking, jogging, or getting on Bowflex’s torture device which is some kind of stepper/elliptical hybrid designed by sadistic gremlins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Installed a better trigger on one of my rifles.

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Ghostdog914 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:19 pm
And today I traded my Xbox 1 for a better plate carrier I can use at work or whenever it would be needed. Part of my health plan is getting rid of bad influences such as games. Instead of getting blasted by angry 12 year olds jacked up on energy drinks in multiplayer I have been walking, jogging, or getting on Bowflex’s torture device which is some kind of stepper/elliptical hybrid designed by sadistic gremlins.
Congratulations on your divorce from your xbox. My wife gave away my playstation 2 about a year after I bought it because she said I spent to much time on it. I was mad for about a month until I realized all the things I had stopped doing. She reminded me I hadn't even been camping in a year; I used to go once a month back then.

As far as prepping related I reorganized my bug out and get home bag to match the next months worth of weather.

Ghostdog914

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:02 pm

I was hesitant but once the deal was done I felt good about it. This is the year I start getting serious about preparedness. My 9 year old daughter wanted to make salsa so I told her we would but only if we grew the stuff to do it. Today we bought the seeds to most of what we need to grow

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:23 pm

I organized the deep pantry and threw away some stuff. Apparently we stopped eating Vienna Sausages five years ago and I didn't notice. This made room for all the half price tuna and pasta sauce that had been piling up.

Then tended the blueberries and fruit trees for the first time this year. They both still need a bit of work. It has rained so much this year I haven't been out to do much.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:13 pm
I finally got a UPS for my CPAP. It was a huge hole in my preps. Emergency power is a work-in-progress at Bunker de MP. :crazy:
I was having trouble with this. I found a generator that ran through the night but not very tactical.

I found a CPAP that actually ran on 12v power supply used on Craigslist. I found a plug and adapted it with alligator clips. I had a 35Ah sealed lead acid battery and I was able to use it for 3 1/2 nights before having to recharge.

I bought a small charge controller from eBay for about $14.00 and I got a 35w solar panel from a friend for $20 and viola! I have continous power for when I go camping in my truck or to take on kayaking trips. No mess with the battery and it was much cheaper than the UPS. Lasts just as long I think. Weighs about the same.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
I was having trouble with this. I found a generator that ran through the night but not very tactical.

I found a CPAP that actually ran on 12v power supply used on Craigslist. I found a plug and adapted it with alligator clips. I had a 35Ah sealed lead acid battery and I was able to use it for 3 1/2 nights before having to recharge.

I bought a small charge controller from eBay for about $14.00 and I got a 35w solar panel from a friend for $20 and viola! I have continous power for when I go camping in my truck or to take on kayaking trips. No mess with the battery and it was much cheaper than the UPS. Lasts just as long I think. Weighs about the same.
This was one thing the VA understood when I said I needed a 12 v power cord for my CPAP. I got two in the mail within a week.

I could not get a travel battery out of them for love or money. Those thing are expensive. I never thought of craiglist for a CPAP. Thanks.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Didn't feel great for most of the day, mentally or physically. But, later in the day I got out (even if it was rainy and cold) and moved the onion sets that are already sprouting to a better position in the garden and shifted a bunch of
baby strawberry plants. I have a bunch of them now as each mama plant keeps making tons of babies. So many they decided to creep across to other parts of the bed during the winter.

Was still feeling more sick at heart than anything else by that point. Getting my feet (I like to garden barefoot as long as I am not using anything that would make that dangerous) and hands into the mud while it lightly rained was super helpful for my peace of mind. Don't underestimate working on your mental health as an important part of prepping.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm
doitnstyle1 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

This was one thing the VA understood when I said I needed a 12 v power cord for my CPAP. I got two in the mail within a week.

I could not get a travel battery out of them for love or money. Those thing are expensive. I never thought of craiglist for a CPAP. Thanks.
Yeah, I tried to also. Even when I was telling them that I travelled a lot and went on overnight Kayaking trips with the VA. I just did a work around. If you have one that runs on 12v then get some of the stuff that I did. 35 Ah battery lasts 3 1/2 days without recharging and if find a small solar panel for cheap even better.
It won't use the humidifier. I'm still working on that but I might have a good idea for a cold humidifier. I'll get back to you on that.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm

Finally got around to enrolling in and finishing CERT training (https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team). Mostly refresher information, but it was a really positive experience and I still learned new things. Would recommend it to anyone who hasn't already taken it!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:41 pm

00dlez wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm
Finally got around to enrolling in and finishing CERT training (https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team). Mostly refresher information, but it was a really positive experience and I still learned new things. Would recommend it to anyone who hasn't already taken it!
8-)

111t

Post by 111t » Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Got a new kerosene jug. (A nice one) and it came with a couple stickers. I then decided to combine those two stickers with some other ones and decorate a coleman stove...

All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”