It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

bump the thread

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 am 

Laager wrote:
ZombieKraft wrote:
Excellent trick with parking across the street. You are certainly one wily cat!

I've never bribed anyone with actual money. Cokes.. Beer... sure. But the napkins to an actual public official is something that I'm accustomed to. From your talk about "life treating you well" and your employees it's obvious you had the need to check up on property. In your situation you were taking relatively safe risks as you had to check on your property. A perfectly legal and reasonable request in times of crisis. I'm curious as to how you decided when you needed to give someone a 5, 10, 20 or 100.

Thanks for your response. This has been most informative.

Unfortunately, I have had to bribe a lot of people, usually in the Philippines and a few times south of the border. But since I stopped going south of the border, it is almost exclusively in the Philippines.

I hate generalizations, but I would guess that absolutely no one in the Philippines takes a government job (Political or Civil Service) for the standard pay. Sometimes any job. They take it for the bribes.

Raptor has it correct, never take out your wallet, or make it obvious that you are forking over some cash. Slip it to them as a napkin or some other way. Shake their hands and look them in the eye when you do.

I've had to bribe cops, firemen, DMV officials, IRS (Filipino, not U.S.), even water, sewer and electric company employees, postal. Once a Doctor and a couple of Nurses and orderlies.

It is an unfortunate cost of living and doing business in the PI. Otherwise good luck on getting anything done in a timely manner.

$5 US left in your passport as insurance against your "visa" not being in order when looked at by police in Odessa...despite US passports not needing a visa, just an entry stamp.

Likewise many "customs" in the M.E. or S.E.Asia.

Think of it as a tax or processing fee, passed along without much ado or fanfare and you'll be much happier. Making an issue of it isn't going to change things and will just get you into more trouble.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11