Hurricane Florence: A Report from Ground Zero

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Hurricane Florence: A Report from Ground Zero

Post by Cymro » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 am

Landfall happened about 10 miles south of my house. I was on the wet side of it, and I got to see the eye. This was not as much fun as I anticipated it might be. It's several months in but I'm still processing the experience; here's a short list of observations.

-Batteries, batteries, batteries. Have lots of them, rotate them, and check them. Have multiple ways of charging your phone--cheap external charging devices work pretty well and it's no trouble to have three or four ready to go.

-Have battery powered fans or a generator. I've lived without AC before and I will likely do so again, but the ability to make air move is not to be underestimated. The storm sat on top of us for three or four days and it got pretty miserable.

-Get to know your neighbors now. Mine were a godsend during all of this; everyone was wonderfully supportive. Be ready and able to share food/water/supplies. The goodwill goes a long way.

-Community happens fast after a disaster. It's cliche, but a stranger is just a friend you haven't met. Most of the time.

-Firearms are handy, but make sure you have a really good can opener and a backup or two. Ditto a propane stove.

-There's never enough booze. When the power came back on we opened a few bottles of bourbon and had a block party while toasting the linemen as they rolled down the street.

-Buy that cheap 10-pack of Harbor Freight flashlights. Pass them out to all and sundry after the storm. Be a hero.

-No-cook food is your friend when it's oppressively hot and you just have no appetite. Make yourself eat something, as it does wonders for your mood.

-Lighters are your friend. Matches were unreliable due to "holy mother of sweet tapdancing Jehovah it's humid".

-Water. Have it and have a good filter.

-Keep the drains clear on your block and the blocks around you.

-My M1911A1 is an amazing sidearm. I hope you have a similarly reliable friend.

I'm sure there will be more, but it's early and I'm hung over. Let the caffeine caffeine.

If any of you likewise rode out Florence or Michael, get in touch with me. And God bless our friends on the Marianas islands!
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Hurricane Florence: A Report from Ground Zero

Post by raptor » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 am

Great post! Please do share more as you get an opportunity.

Stercutus

Re: Hurricane Florence: A Report from Ground Zero

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Looking forward to hearing more about it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Survival Experiences”