Check your batteries, even the ones you have stored

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Laager

Check your batteries, even the ones you have stored

Post by Laager » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 pm

My brother just called me to ask me if I knew how to get back into a Winchester brand gun vault because his battery had died and he replaced it and the electronic key pad would not accept his six digit code to get back in.

I told him to try the factory original code, which did not work. I then asked him if he was sure his battery was charged. He had no idea, but said both his replacement 9Vs were set to expire in 2019. I told him I'd drive down and get a new 9v and not leave with a battery that was set to expire soon, so he drove down to the Publix down the road and after checking all the 9V batteries for the one with the latest expiration date he found one that expired in 2020 and out the door he went.

Sure enough it was his replacement battery, both of them were deader than a door nail.

I thought it might be a real good idea to check my storage vault and check all my batteries.

Guess I better make a new colums in the ever growing spread sheet to things I need to keep a close look at.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

prepperman1219

Re: Check your batteries, even the ones you have stored

Post by prepperman1219 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Oh man thats a good reminder!
Scott M.
" In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks" John Muir
https://bestsurvival.org/

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am

They say that switching from Daylight Savings time to Standard Time is a good reminder to refresh the batteries in your smoke and CO2 detectors as well. This thread is a sobering reminder to check that the "new" batteries you're using are actually still good. A cheap multimeter (even the $6 ones that they occasionally give away at Harbor Freight) is a handy thing to have, if for nothing else than checking your batteries.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am
They say that switching from Daylight Savings time to Standard Time is a good reminder to refresh the batteries in your smoke and CO2 detectors as well. This thread is a sobering reminder to check that the "new" batteries you're using are actually still good. A cheap multimeter (even the $6 ones that they occasionally give away at Harbor Freight) is a handy thing to have, if for nothing else than checking your batteries.
Good point on the cheap multimeter.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am

I always hate it when alkaline batteries leak and screw up my devices, especially the ones where there is no hope of getting the batteries out because they became swollen. For critical devices or those left in storage I have switched to quality lithium ion batteries or rechargeable NiMh Eneloop batteries.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am
For critical devices or those left in storage I have switched to quality lithium ion batteries or rechargeable NiMh Eneloop batteries.
This is great advice and I do the same thing. Lithium batteries are much more expensive but a few extra $ beats cleaning out a leaked battery. Use the lithium in the devices and buy the alkaline for your inventory.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 pm

I think this good topic should also extend to batteries in your cars, generators, cell phones and so on. Take the time to perform the checks and ensure there are no surprises on the day you will need to count on these energy storage marvels.
Last edited by teotwaki on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:59 pm

I have a package of 40 Duracell AA alkalines with an expiration date on them of March 2027 that I purchased at Costco this past spring. I noticed that they didn't seem to be lasting very long in flashlights, then I started finding dead ones. Right now I have 26 of them that are completely dead, fresh out of the package. I contacted Duracell and they sent me coupons to replace the whole package.

Just because you bought a "fresh" package with a good date on it doesn't mean they will be good. Test a few as soon as you buy them.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:59 pm
I have a package of 40 Duracell AA alkalines with an expiration date on them of March 2027 that I purchased at Costco this past spring. I noticed that they didn't seem to be lasting very long in flashlights, then I started finding dead ones. Right now I have 26 of them that are completely dead, fresh out of the package. I contacted Duracell and they sent me coupons to replace the whole package.

Just because you bought a "fresh" package with a good date on it doesn't mean they will be good. Test a few as soon as you buy them.

I have noticed this problem a lot lately. There seems to be a lot of counterfeit batteries being sold these days. If you buy brand names they will replace them but if they are SHTF stock pile and you need them you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

teotwaki wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 pm
I think this good topic should also extend to batteries in your cars, generators, cell phones and so on. Take the time to perform the checks and ensure there are no surprises on the day you will need to count on these energy storage marvels.
Agreed. Generators especially need to be not just operated but load tested by running under a typical load. If you want to rely upon a device or a system you need to routinely test it.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

Can anyone recommend any good battery testers for AA batteries?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

I bought this one the other day. It is cheap and reliable. It does test under a small load. That said I use this to get an indication and not an exact level.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:28 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:50 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

I bought this one the other day. It is cheap and reliable. It does test under a small load. That said I use this to get an indication and not an exact level.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Not bad but I wish it had more voltage ranges. My old reliable Radio Shack 22-091 is my go-to tester for the past decade, but I'm looking for something better.

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am
Multimeter=smart prep. Sometimes things just go wrong at the factory & bad batteries get shipped out anyways. It's happened to me.

Also, if the item in question is in "cold storage", not on stand-by. I found out again to remove the batteries before putting them in storage. I think it was Battery University or maybe Amazon that had hard plastic battery cases to store your batteries in. When an item in my prep storage needs batteries, I put the batteries in those cases and put the cases with those items in a pouch or another container. a place for everything &....& all that. I usually have twice the number of batteries required. Usually. I do try. Really. Quality batteries can be pricey. Quality batteries in quantity = :shock:

All batteries are consumable items & they all have shelf lives. How I miss be able to stop in at S4. :gonk:

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:32 am

I second/third/fourth the multimeter.

My corner of the world is still recovering from Hurricane Florence. I was fairly well prepared, but having a multimeter to check batteries of all sorts was handy. There weren't enough batteries, charging devices, or generators in the week or two after landfall.

"Check your batteries" goes double for any sort of portable/mobile device, by the way. I ran into problems with my laptop battery during the outage, which was no end of headache. Spares are a good thing for a survival or grid-down situation.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Return to “Survival Experiences”