I Had to Tell Them To "Get Out Now"

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

I Had to Tell Them To "Get Out Now"

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

The building was wedged between two streets and therefore had residential housing on both sides. The fire was already spreading in to the neighboring yards so at 2AM we went door to door waking up families in endangered structures and telling them to get out of their houses immediately. Confused, suspicious, upset, sleepy, sometimes angry people they mostly were.

We were lucky, the only thing that was a total loss were the businesses in the building. Our fire department is actually good and they were quick that night. Out of five houses evacuated not one person grabbed a BOB. Not saying they couldn't have had one in their car but when they walked out of their houses, possibly for the last time, the only people carrying stuff were the kids with their favorite toys.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Re: I Had to Tell Them To "Get Out Now"

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Stercutus wrote:I'm not a firefighter but sometimes I assist them. The other night we had a large fire of a commercial structure that was grandfathered in to the city code in a residential neighborhood. The building was full of various toxic and mildly explosive chemicals. I was the second one there and by the time I got there the building was fully involved.

The building was wedged between two streets and therefore had residential housing on both sides. The fire was already spreading in to the neighboring yards so at 2AM we went door to door waking up families in endangered structures and telling them to get out of their houses immediately. Confused, suspicious, upset, sleepy, sometimes angry people they mostly were.

We were lucky, the only thing that was a total loss were the businesses in the building. Our fire department is actually good and they were quick that night. Out of five houses evacuated not one person grabbed a BOB. Not saying they couldn't have had one in their car but when they walked out of their houses, possibly for the last time, the only people carrying stuff were the kids with their favorite toys.
You Probably scared them. You should smile more. :clownshoes:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm

My primary BOB is in the car, but right really need to do some home ones.

Thank you for sharing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Great point. I have a BOB in my car. That's my main one. I have gutted my home BOB. Really should get that up and running again.

Thanks!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 am

Agreed thanks for the observation and feedback.

I am not sure I would be fully functioning at 2am after being awaken for such an event. I do keep a BOB in my car trunk. I think I would ok but I would not leave without my pets. That would pose the biggest impediment to a rapid bug out especially at 2am.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm

My family would probably look memorable with each member running out of the house with armloads of guns.
Boldly going nowhere

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 pm

actually had something similar last night. we had a suprising amount of rain fall, leading to some local flooding.

Finding myself in about 2 foot water with sandbags and swift water rescue door knocking, the resident had two choices.
sandbags or evacuate.

An interesting night indeed
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 pm

I have stuff in my BOV, but I am going nowhere without my cat!

I'll take my chances without my BOB. Which is setup of a wilderness type of thingy. :D

CG

Post by CG » Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am

Honestly, in that sort of situation, I may not think to grab my bag packed with clothes, but I have a gym bag packed and in the car for me at all times so I'll actually go to the gym. I at least have one set of clean clothes. I would, however, grab my purse, phone, and laptop (even if I just unplug it and don't grab the charger - I can get a new charger).

I can run into Walmart & get clothes for everybody for a few days. The only thing we'd have an issue with is hubby's work clothes, and I think they'd understand.

We do, however, need to do a video inventory of everything. I have the serial numbers of the guns recorded, but since we buy most things second-hand, I don't have the info for the gaming consoles, TV, games, videos, kitchenware, clothing, etc.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I recently went to visit some family in Alabama and while I was there I stopped by to see my brother Mike. We discussed various BOBs and the need to have at least one.

Especially after I went into his garage. He stores his ammo in four of those steel tool job boxes. I think they were the large 48inch models.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/pro ... 4_1000.jpg

All I could think of was a scene from Tremors, Aftershock. Holy smokes, if this place ever catches on fire it is going to be big....my second thought was I wonder if there is a limit to the amount of ammunition, powder, primers and assorted brands of binary explosives like Tannerite. Because it always amazes me when there is some kind of news story about a man with an arsenal of four or five firearms (some of which appear to be air rifles of some type) and his stock pile of 400 assorted rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fiCM0eQlkA

In the end we did start on two BoBs, both intended to be large and left at home, since he had a nice get home from work BoB in his truck. For a JIC moment like you described.

I did ask Mike what he plans were if there was a fire, and all he said was run far and fast.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Especially after I went into his garage. He stores his ammo in four of those steel tool job boxes. I think they were the large 48inch models.
Give me his number I will have a talk with him. He is not keeping up the Alabama standards of storage if his round count has gotten so low to fit in to four tiny lockers. Unless that is just his roll out load in which case he is ok. He may just have his full stockage in another location.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Give me his number I will have a talk with him. He is not keeping up the Alabama standards of storage if his round count has gotten so low to fit in to four tiny lockers. Unless that is just his roll out load in which case he is ok. He may just have his full stockage in another location.

I think that was just his rollout stuff, he is really serious about his firearms and the assorted stuff that goes with it.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Return to “Survival Experiences”