Taking a Knee

Share a personal survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AlexanderPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead TV Show
Shawn of the Dead
Juan of the Dead
I am Legend

Taking a Knee

Post by AlexanderPain » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 am

Over the weekend, I tripped and took a very bad fall onto a down sloping parking lot pavement. I'm a big guy (6'2" & 380 lbs) so it may have registered at about a 1 on the Richter scale. I was able to get my hands extended, slap the pavement, with both simultaneously, keep my chin and head up, and flop onto my belly. But, my right knee may have hit first and I think I slow rolled a couple of times after impact. (I'd like to think that martial arts training of 30 years ago might have help a teeny bit in terms of falling technique, but it happened pretty fast.) Now, my knee is killing me. I don't think I ripped, twisted, broke, or tore anything, but I skinned it and bruised it and I'm not 7 years old anymore. If it doesn't get better in the next couple of days, I'm going to have to go to the doctors office.

From a preparedness perspective, I have two observations:

1) If any of us (particularly us older folks) have any thoughts of post-apocalyptic urban combat, I strongly suggest we get some sort of tactical SWAT knee pads to protect our knees.

2) Be sure to have health insurance and money or credit (preferably money) available to cover unexpected medical expenses.
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: http://www.howtofightzombies.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE

flybynight

Re: Taking a Knee

Post by flybynight » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Wise thinking . But remember in a post apocalyptic world there will not be medical coverage or health Insurance. The knee pads will come in handy both before and after an event. And not just for us old folks. I have bad knees now , because I didn't take care of my knees when younger with things like knee pads.
The thing though about us old farts though is , we plan ahead about how to achieve our aims without engaging into urban combat. :awesome:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Like you, OP, I'm a big guy (6'4" and around 250 pounds). My right knee is banged up from a track incident in high school and my left knee just hates me.

I haven't fallen in a number of years, but given that gravity tends to hate us big guys, it's inevitable that I will take a fall at some point. Now banging my knees on low furniture or the ever present trailer hitches, that's a different story. It seems I bang my knees on one of those at least once a week.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:02 pm

flybynight wrote: The thing though about us old farts though is , we plan ahead about how to achieve our aims without engaging into urban combat. :awesome:
Life experience taught me to get some knee & elbow pads.

Now getting back up...different story.... :wink:

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:30 pm

bug guy here (6' 8" 282 lbs) with one too many knee impacts

1. new pads, invest in good quality ones and you can kneel all day
2. support, going for a walk, strap the knee to give support
3. weight, I'm trying to lose weight in order to have less stress on the knee

also, avoid stressing the knee, walk/jog/run on a soft surface (grass dirt etc) rather than hard (asphalt, concrete)

Oh...and much ibuprofen to ease the swelling
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 am

Another big guy with knee problems here... They do seem to take a beating! I have a kneecap that dislocates easely, had to start using a brace to keep it in place when hiking or working. Knowing to a physiotherapist in a couple of weeks, we'll see how that turns out.

Sent fra min SM-T719 via Tapatalk

Return to “Personal Experiences”