It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm 

So my wife is in labor. The early stuff, not like what you see in the movies. So we are putzing around and waiting, and I decided this was a good time to grab the Nodoze and assemble the Baby Go Bag. I opened my FAK and discovered a LOT of my gear is expired. Back in 2010 or 2013 or 2015. Well, in my defense I've not needed much of it much in the last 5-7 years. But I know bestglide.com has some FAK refill packs they sell and I'll grab one of those and be good. But it was really startling to open things and see something you trust to be G2G suddenly not has up to speed as I thought.

http://www.bestglide.com/medpack.html

So maybe take this time to learn from my mistakes and check your FAK before you need it.

And a lot of meds are still good if expired. Their performance is reduced but they are not toxic. However some meds do turn toxic so it is worth checking those and replacing.

The Nodoze is just caffeine, but expired in 2013. That is something I'm not worried about. But other meds (ESPECIALLY ANTIBIOTICS) can have different things happen when they expire.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 pm 

You bring up a good point, just last night I was shifting through my spare medical supplies (dressings, bandages etc) and was chucking a lot of stuff I thought was good into the training box due to expiry dates.

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 pm 

I bet inserting an expired NPA would take her mind of those labor pains.
:clownshoes:
Hope Mother & baby are doing well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 pm 

My wife is doing well. Our child was a surprise and she turned out to be a little girl! Our first. Labor was a crazy story which ended in one of the fastest deliveries by a first time mom the docs had ever seen. If I can articulate the lessons learned I'll post about it, but the short version is "be prepared for the unexpected and pack your bags ahead of time." Also, life is precious and could have been very short. I'm glad for the ER personnel who were almost needed but she came through and her heart started beating. That was a bit nerve wracking.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:43 pm 

When it comes to supplies, expiration is a bit iffy for me.
My primary kit - which is governed by local bls/als protocols - stays up to date. As things expire, they are replaced in order to maintain compliance.
Those expired items more often than end up in other "unofficial" kits. BOBs, shop kits, etc.
Glucose, nitro, epi, diphenhydramine, other injectibles - are disposed according to medical regs but splints? Gauze? CATs? NPA/OPA/Kings?

Durable items are not going to "go bad" - the expiry date is based on the packaging sterility. Items which start vacuum packed are pretty obvious - IZZY, HY-fen, etc - if its still a brick its still good. Softer packed items it becomes more of a judgement question.
A non-sterile OPA/NPA is not ideal. However, the risk of contamination of something like that, in a bag, in a bag, weighed against the complications of a compromised airway seems to be a no brainer.
Same goes for yankeur, bvm, and most anything else.

We keep a fair amount of everything on hand for training purposes, no sense in the rest going to pot.