World War Flea - the Flea Apocolpsye in Real time

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: World War Flea - the Flea Apocolpsye in Real time

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am

Ellywick wrote:
A lot of people have recommended using diatomaceous earth on the yard...for those who have used it, does it pretty much kill all insects including beneficial ones?
I use DE on the farm. I cannot recommend using it in the yard for reasons of cost and effectiveness. IMO it is best used as a barrier layer external to the house. That and it is great on chickens as a dust bath to control parasites on them. It works best with spot applications

DE is non-toxic which is both good and bad. It is a mechanical killing agent that relies on the particles to damage the parasites mechanically as they move. So if you apply it outside when it rain or you water the plants you wash it off and reduces its effectiveness. Boric acid is also a great barrier agent.

However for cats and dogs IMO the best agent is routine application of Revolution. That stuff works if you use it every 4 to 6 weeks without fail. It also prevent heart worms and ear mites. That said it does nothing to kill fleas in the house and yard. :?

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am

The diatomaceous earth will kill some good insects, too.
If you have ladybugs or something on a section of plants that you want to keep, best to avoid it with the DE.
---
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/dia ... -list.html
"DE is known to be especially effective against. These include:
• Ants
• Bedbugs
• Fleas
• Cockroaches
• Silverfish
• Flour Beetles
• Darkling Beetles
• Grain Beetles
• Carpet Beetles
• Colorado Potato Beetles
• Caterpillars
• Earwigs
• Centipedes
• Millipedes
• Sowbugs
• Pillbugs
• Spiders
• Crickets
• Slugs "
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm

They sprayed on Tuesday, fleas are reappearing today.

I should point out that the poor dog died :( (mostly of old age related health problems) before the fleas began appearing in large numbers. We currently have no other inside animals other than people.

They are supposed to spray again on Tuesday. I get the feeling we will be invoking the guarantee.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Stercutus wrote:They sprayed on Tuesday, fleas are reappearing today.

I should point out that the poor dog died :( (mostly of old age related health problems) before the fleas began appearing in large numbers. We currently have no other inside animals other than people.

They are supposed to spray again on Tuesday. I get the feeling we will be invoking the guarantee.
Well it's almost winter. First good snowfall usually knocks..... Oh wait right . Ya'all got that southern Californy type weather.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:17 pm

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:They sprayed on Tuesday, fleas are reappearing today.

Well it's almost winter. First good snowfall usually knocks..... Oh wait right . Ya'all got that southern Californy type weather.
Not quite so warm, much more humid.
Shall be my brother

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 am

We've had them on a steady decline, but now they're trying for a resurgence.
Redoubling efforts this morning.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Do you have foxes or raccoons in your AO?

You may have a stowaway.

Do bats have fleas? Check the attic, garage, attached shed, etc, if the basement is still clear maybe they are working from the top down.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Second visit by the pest guy and dead fleas are everywhere. More than I thought we had which means it isn't over yet. As soon as we see a live flea we call them and they come back for free. And we keep calling.

They saw no sign of animal infestation on inspection. They did take care of some outside ants included and a couple of wasp nests.
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm

First frost advisory tonight. The insects days are numbered. DIE MOSQUITO BASTARDS... DIE

John Titor was right

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am

I don't think it's a new carrier, these are almost all teeny tiny just-hatched fleas.
I think the problem is that the furnace kicked on for the season, and is hatching them all like a mother hen.
Going to pick up another pack of the mini bombs and do the one area that is still producing, (as I said before, these don't seem to spread the fleas), and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum !
-

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am

ZombieGranny wrote: and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum !
Be sure to change the vac bag or empty it inside into a plastic garbage bag and seal the bag. Fleas are very durable creatures.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 am

sigh
I have them showing up in the traps at a consistent rate, but our daughter is losing patience.
I think it's time to call someone and have them spray poison all over our home.

Don't have any idea how we'll pay for that.
-

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am

ZombieGranny wrote:sigh
I have them showing up in the traps at a consistent rate, but our daughter is losing patience.
I think it's time to call someone and have them spray poison all over our home.
Be sure to remove your pets from the area and also treat them for fleas and if possible keep them out until the traps show no fleas.

IMO the traps are great for measurement of flea activity.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:44 am

Just throwing this out there.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/demon ... -p-74.html

I've never used this for fleas, but I have used it to control the incredible amount of wolf spiders that assault our home every year. Works great for months in that regard . And I see they have fleas on the list of pests it works on.

ETA It didn't just kill the spiders. Killed just about anything insect.

John Titor was right

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 am

Does anyone know how long it takes before all the fleas are dead after a professional spray?
We are supposed to call them if the fleas are still here, but they said not to vacuum for 2 days to give it time to get them all.
-

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 pm

More than three weeks I can tell you that. We have gone from seeing three an hour to three a day to three a week. They have sprayed three times, bombed once and we still are not done. Getting close though. I think we have a light a the end of the tunnel.
Shall be my brother

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm

I'd suggest the 2 days. I have never been to that point. Massive bombs worked for me. (I kind of enjoyed writing that...)

If you have even one live flea after the allotted time, I'd call them. Make them prove their skill. Their better business will come from word of mouth.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Mrselfdestruct

Post by Mrselfdestruct » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 am

ZombieGranny wrote:I don't think it's a new carrier, these are almost all teeny tiny just-hatched fleas.
I think the problem is that the furnace kicked on for the season, and is hatching them all like a mother hen.
Going to pick up another pack of the mini bombs and do the one area that is still producing, (as I said before, these don't seem to spread the fleas), and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum !
Buy once, cry once.
Get the Ultracide, heat/vac the house, work from a far point backwards inside,leave for 2hrs when you've walked out.
Only other thing thatll help is wetting carpet with a product like Suspend Sc, before the aerosol treatment, but you really can only kill a bug once.
"In the absence of orders, go find something, and kill it." -Rommel

Laager

Post by Laager » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Stercutus wrote:I write this from the safety and security of my basement bunker, the last spot in my home in which the infestation of blood sucking parasites has not yet reached. The respite is welcome but I know not how much longer we can hold out. Their numbers are now legion, their mindless assault relentless and unforgiving. Despite my vast arsenal of firearms they are immune to even the largest calibers of bullets and while I have slain many of their number they simply do not care, they seek only to drink our blood, to plant their progeny in our flesh thus turning us in to their breeding machines. Every day they get stronger and every day we get weaker.

Our dwelling is now an unlivable, unrecognizable war zone. Chemical warfare is the rule, the entire house is now coated with the powdery white filled with hundreds, nay thousands of corpses of the dead. Our stores are considerable but we have considered evacuating. I am uncertain if any will take us in, in our wretched and contaminated state.

We are infested.

I think back to the early warning signs, weeks, even months ago and consider if only we had taken precautions, if only we had seen the signs, if only, if only... but I get ahead of myself.

It all began with the dog you see....

That's how it usually starts....just be glad it wasn't crabs. Been there done that and can't even have the satisfaction of being able to say that I caught them from a Korean Hooker/Bar girl. Worse I had the backing of the entire 2nd Division but they darn near won anyway.

Best of luck..............those creepy crawly insects are the devil........and not in a good way either.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Return to “Survival Experiences”