It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 pm 

I write this from the safety and security of my basement bunker, the last spot in my home in which the infestation of blood sucking parasites has not yet reached. The respite is welcome but I know not how much longer we can hold out. Their numbers are now legion, their mindless assault relentless and unforgiving. Despite my vast arsenal of firearms they are immune to even the largest calibers of bullets and while I have slain many of their number they simply do not care, they seek only to drink our blood, to plant their progeny in our flesh thus turning us in to their breeding machines. Every day they get stronger and every day we get weaker.

Our dwelling is now an unlivable, unrecognizable war zone. Chemical warfare is the rule, the entire house is now coated with the powdery white filled with hundreds, nay thousands of corpses of the dead. Our stores are considerable but we have considered evacuating. I am uncertain if any will take us in, in our wretched and contaminated state.

We are infested.

I think back to the early warning signs, weeks, even months ago and consider if only we had taken precautions, if only we had seen the signs, if only, if only... but I get ahead of myself.

It all began with the dog you see....

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:46 am 

You too?
We flea-bombed twice but still have the suckers.
The only thing that's really working is bowls of soapy water under lights to drown the @#$$&^$#.

Good luck!

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:34 am 

Crazy. We had a wild flea infestation earlier in the year, and I thought it would be an amusing short story, similar to the one above. Maybe in the style of daily journal entries.

We retreated to our uninfested portion of our house, and lived like we were camping. Well, really nice camping with a hot plate and air conditioning. After a week and no real progress with the green "natural" stuff from walmart and aggressive vacuuming, the wife and kids bugged out to different state so I could attack the fleas in a tyvek suit with the adams powder and spray throughout the rooms and then vacuuming. The vacuuming was thorough. I would shift the furniture around the rooms and make sure I got every inch of the floor and then the baseboards with wand. It took 3-5 hours every other day. After the first week with the Adams I saw some progress, after the second week it was over. The soap bowl traps were empty from then on.

The tyvek suit was probably unnecessary, but it helped me not track fleas between the clean area and the infested area. It also helped me not feed them as much when working in the infested area.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 am 

I see the Night of the Living Flea has spread through the land like a tiny black curse. Like the others we tried the simple measures such as carpet bombing and bringing out the big guns of the vacuum and the washing machine. Occasionally letting off bombs to poison the environment. At first it seemed as though we were making progress. Yet with every victory they would return in force, in greater numbers with greater appetites.

Last night we flexed hard. All clothes, pillows, drapes, curtains anywhere they could hide were drug out and either gotten rid of or sterilized. The rugs were drug out on to the concrete driveway and coated with layer after layer of lethal white powder.

And then we salted the earth.

Salt it seems will kill them. Salt and baking soda mixed together are both cheap and effective. Mixing in various other poisons for longer term effects. My five year supply of salt disappeared in a single night. I should not say "disappeared", as it appears everywhere in the house now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 am 

spread it over your carpets and leave for several days Or until the fleas are gone. Then vacuum it up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 am 

Another agent you might consider using on them is diatomaceous earth. Works similar to the other substances by drying them out, but the little silica diatoms are also quite sharp and abrasive, and they get inside the cracks of the exoskeletons and scratch the little buggers up.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:20 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

The key to getting rid of fleas is removal of the food source(i.e. people and any critters).
Go get a hotel room for a week while bombing the house. Bring the pets to the groomers to get them a flea dip. Bring the critters home last.

You have already set up flea traps that is the best way to judge the ffectiveness of the treatment.

Time and flea bombs are your best weapons.

BTW if the house is infested you should assume they are in the yard. While you are out of the house you may as well hit the yard also.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 am 

I have been considering the hotel route. Unfortunately we have family expected to visit next week so the battle continues. I think I will know by Monday if an evacuation is required.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:35 am 

We had 2 major areas, by the front door where the cat spent most of her last days and the other end of the house under the desk for some reason.
We routinely used diatomaceous earth in the cat box, I think there's an unopened bag.

It's in the main affected area though.
sigh

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 am 

While I understand and appreciate many people's desire to "go green" - reality sometimes has other plans.
I am fortunate, I have a pest control license (among many other licenses) and can get pretty much anything.

In this wonderful world of online shopping, there are many retailers that will allow individuals to purchase things for their own use. Domyownpestcontrol comes to mind.

On a completely unrelated track, for fleas I would use TempridSC for fleas in a residential living space as would many other professionals. I would apply it exactly according to the label directions. There is always a temptation to mix it stronger...if a little is good a lot is better. this is wrong - and dangerous. it is most effective at a certain concentration.

As always, your best bet is to contact a professional if there is any doubt.

Finally - DO NOT USE RETAIL BOMBS. EVER. EVER. Bombs have an annoying habit of killing a few exposed troops, while forcing the main army to take cover. This cover is often found in territory outside the original AOO- i.e. BOMBS spread bugs throughout the structure. Fleas are bad, bed bugs are worse. retail bombs are simply an aerosol. it shoots up, it falls down - it has very minimal penetration into cracks, crevices and, underspace. please don't use Bombs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:18 am 

Thank you Dale I will look in to that. I noticed that many pest control providers do not guarantee their work vs fleas. The flea bombs did a great job spreading the fleas through the house.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 am 

In my search to end my own flea menace that has cropped up this year, I have read that the "beneficial nematodes" gardeners sometimes get to control garden pests will also work to control flea populations in the yard. I'm hesitant to introduce a parasite to the local environment, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's something anybody wants to look in to.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:00 pm 

The mini flea bombs I bought don't seem to be spreading the fleas.
Perhaps because they are a mini size? The ones we used to use were very large.
I had one in the main flea area, and one in the secondary flea area at the other end of the house.

I have put diatomaceous earth on all carpets, replaced after vacuuming.
I have traps all over the place, and the numbers are way down from the first days.
At first, we were getting more in one trap than is appearing in total now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:01 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

ZombieGranny wrote:
The only thing that's really working is bowls of soapy water under lights to drown the @#$$&^$#.

Flame throwers filled with diesel does wonders, but is hard on the drapes. What do you mean your walls aren't concrete and/or held together with asbestos? :wink: :clownshoes:

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:
Thank you Dale I will look in to that. I noticed that many pest control providers do not guarantee their work vs fleas. The flea bombs did a great job spreading the fleas through the house.

You may be doing it wrong. Make sure you don't have a pilot light or any other open flames, and forget the instructions. If you think 1 bomb is enough for a room, use 3. I suggest the "4 for $5 a box" kind from Dollar General or Family Dollar ones, the really expensive ones are not worth the money. Do the WHOLE house, from attic to crawl space. Put bombs in every hallway. As you're fleeing the residence, you should see a very heavy mist chasing you. Repeat every THREE days four times (bomb on Day 1.4, 7, and 10) and use good (We've switched to Advantage II for our cats, Frontline wasn't cutting it any more) flea meds on any pets, and you should be good to go inside. If you find flea dirt on a pet, dose them again. Outside, put down a 10 feet wide coating of diatomaceous earth every year or so. IIRC TSC sells it in 40 pound bags as a food additive for cattle for something like $20 a bag, and 1 or 2 bags should do it for a normal sized house. Make sure to do both on and under any porches or decks. I use a little hand spreader, and put it down thick. It also keeps the ants away.

I dispise fleas, and just wish that the bug bombs would also kill a tapeworm sector. Even with vacuuming like crazy, we're still having to treat our indoor cats every 30 days or so.

Fleas and tapeworms make me nostalgic for bagworms, which are so much easier to take out.

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:59 pm 

Plan on de-worming your furballs when things settle. Fleas are part of the tapeworm lifecycle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If you give your dog Frontline, or some other brand of flea/tick medicine, they often warrenty the product and will get professional sprayers out to your house/yard at no cost to you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:40 am 

We cleaned up on Saturday and Fleas were gone for 48 hours and then started hatching and reappearing again.

I fell back on my military training. I called in a contractor.

We have too much going on right now to spend days fighting fleas. We found one that does guarantees and they dropped a bunch of different commercial grade poisons and I have not seen any since. They come back next week for cleanup. They sprayed outside as well and killed every bug within 10 feet of the house. I don't think we had termites or anything but I sure as hell don't now. If we see even one flea for the next year they will come out and re-treat.

It only cost a little bit more than it would have cost if I had bought the stuff myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm 

As a 'Contractor', let me recomend 'ultracide'.
20 oz can does 2600ft. Read the label.
If you get it pm me, and ill call you with best practices.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 am 

we had a horrible infestation years ago. We put these up in each room to judge how bad it was.
Image Ours looked fuller than that pic in one day. Fogging worked for a day or so, then came back. Realized even though we flea dipped our dog on a regular schedule, our neighbors, who left their dogs in their yards 24/7 didn't. I found those yard spray concentrates, the ones you connect to your garden hose. Sprayed the yard to the fence line (and a tiny bit over) every day for a few days, and fogging the house immediately after the yard spraying. It worked.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 pm 

Ultracide is the equivalent of flamethrower, rather than bomb.
You walk it through, working backwards to egress.
Has amazing adult kill, and has Growth regulator to prevent them from ever moving to next life stage. For 9 months.
Heat the house, vac the carpet, thatll get them moving, then treat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:26 pm 

:lol: Great OP, should make a SyFy movie out of it.
World War Flea - the Flea Apocolpsye in Real time Starring Dolf Lundgren

Well, where's his license?
He ain't got no lisum offisir, he jus' got fleeeeas.

BTDT, after my sisters flea bag cat stayed in my house while she was away. I should have known better, the cat did have fleas. I could see them walk across its face, so at night i'd sit there watching TV with the cat and every time a flea walked thru the short hairs of its face I'd kill 'em by crushing them with a tweezers. [humans are so much smarter than fleas] The cat eventually left but the fleas stayed. I realized it when I was sitting on my carpeted floor in my bedroom a couple weeks later and was getting bit. Immediately I knew to check the front bedroom where the cat stayed mostly. I walked in there with my white socks on, looked down at my feet which steadily got spottier and spottier with black dots. NFW.

The thing to remember is fleas lay eggs that don't hatch for a week or so after they are laid, and are immune to most insecticides in the egg state. So your treatment needs to be once a week for 3 weeks. Also they can't really jump higher than 6-8 inches and don't climb well I suspect because they weren't IN the bed or ON the couch, at least I wasn't getting bitten there.

I totally covered [sprayed] every inch of the carpets and lower parts of seating or bedding in the whole house with a liquid flea killer bought at homedepot. Supposed to kill fleas on contact but not kill larva or eggs. Directions said retreat in a week. After everything dried, I vacuumed. That pretty much did it but retreated the next week and week after and done. Vacuum a lot and then empty and spray the vacuum debris, preferably outside.

If your yard is infested, and dogo is reinfesting the house, treat the yard too, same way, once a week for 3 weeks.

On a similar note: A co-worker brought a live Christmas tree in her house last year that was infested with ticks. There were so many they were crawling up her walls :gonk:

Amazingly, [I live in S FL] over the last 12 years that I have shared my residence with up to 3 dogs, plus dogo guests, and I/they/we haven't had any fleas. As a matter of fact, the last 8 or so years, have not even used the flea medicine on them. Just herbal, anti flea shampoo [no insecticide], and a drop of either lavender or peppermint oil right in front of their tail. [knock on wood]. They are not outdoor dogs, they play outside but sleep inside. [And they play inside.]

Flea check; stroke the fur against the 'grain' on your dog's back, right in front of the tail, look at the skin and look for fleas or flea 'dirt'. That is the fleas' 'toilet' area. Or use a flea comb but that's not as easy.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am 

Appreciate the great thread with lots of useful info. We've been fighting fleas on and off for the past year, even though previously we have never had an issue with fleas on our indoor cats. It was to the point I stopped treating them quite a few years ago because one of them is a booger and always tries to lick the treatment no matter where I put it...then I spend the next several days anxiously afraid the dumb thing is going to have a reaction. This was my mistake. Took the cats to the vet at one point and he said the mild weather since winter 2016 has just made fleas survive and breed on a crazy level. Nature isn't doing its part to control the population, which sucks for the rest of us and our pets.

A lot of people have recommended using diatomaceous earth on the yard...for those who have used it, does it pretty much kill all insects including beneficial ones?

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."