It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm 

Goofy thread title but bear with me...

This post is a question for anyone who, as an adult in civilian society (Not a war zone, combat or High School), has had reason to fear for your life because someone explicitly wanted to hurt you.

How were you treated by your employer, co-workers and neighbors? If they knew (For example that you were going to be testifying against the mob), did they treat you the same, better or worse than normal? Did schools allow your kids to attend?

Just wondering,

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

A little vague to really know what you're asking or what the motive is... very mysterious :clownshoes:

For me and my family/friends, whenever there was a sticky situation, we just kept our mouths shut and didn't tell anyone unless they needed to know. My "inner circle" of people consists of some LEO and .mil types. Plus a few people who work in the courts, or healthcare, corrections, etc. Not something that is super duper high risk, but it deals with people in bad spots. So things can happen. We kept a low profile and dealt with business.

Me personally, I never had a high profile threat that made the news or had a stalker that needed to involve the courts or anything... so I can't really say people acted differently to me for anything.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

But I will say, that anytime anything of substance (and sometimes not) occurs, peers can get reallllly weird. Get in an argument with your boss, people whisper. Get written up at work, people whisper. Break up with a partner on facebook, people whisper. Wear a funny shirt, people whisper.

So I can imagine if something big happened, the average idiot will have a meltdown and get real weird one way or another.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

This didn't happen to me personally, but my mother had to deal with a stalker last year.

Little bit of background on this. The old man who'd end up stalking my mother was the husband of one of her friends. The man's wife passed away of cancer and a few months after she was buried, the man began harassing my mother at her job. He'd call her at all hours of the day and leave really nasty messages. I answered my mother's phone one time and told the guy to leave her alone or I'd call the cops. That didn't phase him and he then began threatening me. After that, the cops were informed and since some of them knew the old man, an officer said they'd go talk with the man and tell him to knock it off. For awhile it worked, but then he came back to bother my mother again with renewed vigor.

The final straw came when the man showed up on our front doorstep, banging on the door and then the windows. My mother hid in our living room and I stood by the hallway leading towards the front door, Glock in hand and pointed at the door, waiting for him to break in. I told my mother to have 911 on her phone and if anything happened, to call them. Fortunately for all involved, the man soon gave up and left. He then stopped by the manager's office and told her to have my mother call him.

My mother was scared and I was pissed. After the adrenaline wore off and I calmed down, I called the apartment manager and had her put a trespass warning on the old man. She agreed that it was necessary and if the guy set foot on the grounds again, he'd be arrested.

Nothing came of it for a long time and eventually, the old man gave up on stalking my mother. He contacted my mother at her job once more after that, but my mother told him to leave her alone and if he didn't, she'd have him arrested. After that, he left her alone.

Looking back on this, I should've gotten the cops involved a lot sooner than I did and kept up on it.

My mother's employer was informed and the managers did what they could to keep the man away from her. Obviously, they couldn't keep tabs on the guy all the time, but there were enough of her co-workers around to help her if things went sideways. One of my mother's co-workers was a very large man who promised to protect my mother if her stalker came to harm her at work. He'd even walk her to her truck if she worked til close and whenever he could just so she'd feel safe.

At home, it fell on me to keep my mother safe. When the old man began banging on our front door and windows, I was fully prepared to shoot him if it came down to it. I'm happy it didn't have to end that way because I really didn't want to kill him. I just wanted him to leave my mother alone.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
A little vague to really know what you're asking or what the motive is... very mysterious :clownshoes:

Mysterious is the new sexy. :crazy:

In all honesty, I was just walking to my car after work and I wondered what my employer would do if I was inexplicably on something like am ISIS hit list or something. Would it be, take three weeks of vacation. Or would it be, you're fired Pariah-boy!

Would the HOA ask me to move? Would grocery stores let me in? I don't live in a small town but if they're motivated to watch for me...

Just wondering.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
This didn't happen to me personally, but my mother had to deal with a stalker last year.

Little bit of background on this. The old man who'd end up stalking my mother was the husband of one of her friends. The man's wife passed away of cancer and a few months after she was buried, the man began harassing my mother at her job. He'd call her at all hours of the day and leave really nasty messages. I answered my mother's phone one time and told the guy to leave her alone or I'd call the cops. That didn't phase him and he then began threatening me. After that, the cops were informed and since some of them knew the old man, an officer said they'd go talk with the man and tell him to knock it off. For awhile it worked, but then he came back to bother my mother again with renewed vigor.

The final straw came when the man showed up on our front doorstep, banging on the door and then the windows. My mother hid in our living room and I stood by the hallway leading towards the front door, Glock in hand and pointed at the door, waiting for him to break in. I told my mother to have 911 on her phone and if anything happened, to call them. Fortunately for all involved, the man soon gave up and left. He then stopped by the manager's office and told her to have my mother call him.

My mother was scared and I was pissed. After the adrenaline wore off and I calmed down, I called the apartment manager and had her put a trespass warning on the old man. She agreed that it was necessary and if the guy set foot on the grounds again, he'd be arrested.

Nothing came of it for a long time and eventually, the old man gave up on stalking my mother. He contacted my mother at her job once more after that, but my mother told him to leave her alone and if he didn't, she'd have him arrested. After that, he left her alone.

Looking back on this, I should've gotten the cops involved a lot sooner than I did and kept up on it.

My mother's employer was informed and the managers did what they could to keep the man away from her. Obviously, they couldn't keep tabs on the guy all the time, but there were enough of her co-workers around to help her if things went sideways. One of my mother's co-workers was a very large man who promised to protect my mother if her stalker came to harm her at work. He'd even walk her to her truck if she worked til close and whenever he could just so she'd feel safe.

At home, it fell on me to keep my mother safe. When the old man began banging on our front door and windows, I was fully prepared to shoot him if it came down to it. I'm happy it didn't have to end that way because I really didn't want to kill him. I just wanted him to leave my mother alone.

Thanks for that information. You are obviously one of those people who steps up in situations like this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

How about getting doxxed for something you didn't even do.....like this poor guy:

Arkansas professor wrongly ID’d as torch-bearing protester in Charlottesville

A biomedical engineering professor at the University of Arkansas spent the weekend in hiding with his wife after being falsely accused on social media of being one of the torch-bearing white nationalists who marched through the University of Virginia on Friday night. A photo of Kyle Quinn, an assistant professor at the Engineering Research Center at the University of Arkansas, was posted alongside one of a man attending the Friday night rally. The man at the rally was wearing an “Arkansas Engineering” T-shirt and had a beard and build similar to that of Quinn....

.....“I was at an event in Bentonville, AR with faculty members and university administrators on Friday during the horrible events in Virginia,” Quinn wrote in a tweet on Sunday. “Whoever wore the shirt obviously does not represent my values, the values of the College of Engineering or the U of A.”

Despite his clarification, the social media snafu had already gone viral and Quinn’s Twitter and Instagram accounts were quickly swamped with messages calling for him to be fired and accusing him of being a racist. When his home address was posted on social media, Quinn began to fear for his safety and decided that he and his wife would stay with a colleague for the weekend.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Broad_Daylight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Over the years I have faced death threats for various reasons. Most were BS but a couple were credible. It is always creepy even when you know the person and can dismiss it. Still it plays hell with me and as a result I do tend to be careful.

In my case the reason for the threats were frequently tied to a now long ex-employer. Life is a lot more peaceful.

Being doxxed would not bother me, although I would take immediate legal action in Orleans Parish (ask your attorney is really bad :P ) against anyone who did. A lawsuit may or many be effective but at least the person would have to hire an attorney and answer the lawsuit. Call it transaction cost.

Some threats are comical.
One person called and asked where I was so he could over and shoot me. He was mad because I had just had his wife arrested for grand theft (embezzlement). I told him I was that the local sheriff's office filing charges against his wife and he should come down and join her. I was actually at home in another state. I called the LEO handling the case and told him what happened and sure enough the idiot showed up at the station albeit unarmed. The officer talked to the man and he said he called me and threatened to shoot me and would do so as soon as he saw me. He was promptly arrested (not for the threat but for a charge related to the theft) and the arresting officer added that statement to record for consideration during the bail hearing. I never heard from him again.

Others have been more concerning and less direct.
Like the time I was working for the aforementioned PITA employer and went on business to several shall we say unpleasant countries. It was company policy to have a driver and local security (it was not a war zone just a typically corrupt country). My co-worker and I were picked up at the airport by the "minders" and then driven to the office. It was not until I got to the office that the honcho there asked "How did you get here? The "minders" we sent could not find you"? I explained who picked us and he said "They were not "our" people". I suddenly felt very ill.

It seems that HR had sent a memo via fax (yes fax, I am old) to local HR guy (women did not work in this country) telling him that if there were issues, that the company K&R policy (kidnapping & ransom) provided coverage limits of $1mm. So in effect this broadcast the local neer do wells that a nice payday was possible.

Shortly thereafter some local retainers said they wanted a lot of extra money to provide minder service for us. I said "F that we are leaving on the next plane out of here to anyplace." We did and caught the next plane to Athens and had to stay there a day or so until proper transport could be arranged.

To this day I am not sure what happened. Maybe the minders wanted a pay raise and got buddies to pick us up to stage the event (I hope). Maybe they were doing a test run. Maybe the local management team did not want us to do our work there and staged it. Who knows? I did not care and just wanted GTFO.

BTW that employer when I got in touch with the CEO basically said "You are used to dealing with people you would have negotiated your way out of it". That and in effect the company paid for my life insurance policy so what is the problem. BTW the CEO liked and needed me. You should have seen how he treated the people he did not like and/or need.

I describe the company as having a "family" environment; the family being a cross between the Manson and Adams families.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 pm 

raptor wrote:
Over the years I have faced death threats for various reasons. Most were BS but a couple were credible. It is always creepy even when you know the person and can dismiss it. Still it plays hell with me and as a result I do tend to be careful.

(SNIP)

I describe the company as having a "family" environment; the family being a cross between the Manson and Adams families.

I would have said Spilotro and Battaglia 'families'.

BTW, I went to high school with Ginger Battaglia, John 'The Bat' Battaglia's sweet 'little girl'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

TacAir wrote:

I would have said Spilotro and Battaglia 'families'.

BTW, I went to high school with Ginger Battaglia, John 'The Bat' Battaglia's sweet 'little girl'.

They were not quite that bad. The CEO was not a sociopath nor was he homicidal, just a brilliant yet callous and mean jerk. Like i said he liked and needed me. The company is still a publically traded company but he retired at the Board of Directors request. :lol:

ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am 

RickOShea wrote:
How about getting doxxed for something you didn't even do.....like this poor guy:

Arkansas professor wrongly ID’d as torch-bearing protester in Charlottesville

A biomedical engineering professor at the University of Arkansas spent the weekend in hiding with his wife after being falsely accused on social media of being one of the torch-bearing white nationalists who marched through the University of Virginia on Friday night. A photo of Kyle Quinn, an assistant professor at the Engineering Research Center at the University of Arkansas, was posted alongside one of a man attending the Friday night rally. The man at the rally was wearing an “Arkansas Engineering” T-shirt and had a beard and build similar to that of Quinn....

.....“I was at an event in Bentonville, AR with faculty members and university administrators on Friday during the horrible events in Virginia,” Quinn wrote in a tweet on Sunday. “Whoever wore the shirt obviously does not represent my values, the values of the College of Engineering or the U of A.”

Despite his clarification, the social media snafu had already gone viral and Quinn’s Twitter and Instagram accounts were quickly swamped with messages calling for him to be fired and accusing him of being a racist. When his home address was posted on social media, Quinn began to fear for his safety and decided that he and his wife would stay with a colleague for the weekend.

That's so sad. Wish people would use their brains and think before going off on a witchhunt...also because we are supposed to live in a society where the rule of law is in place and I'm pretty sure it just proves you are also a d-bag when you threaten and abuse someone for being a d-bag.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:14 pm 

So, not exactly an ISIS target or a specific death threat, but I have had a few instances where someone has threatened or had very ill intent towards me. Not going to share the personal ones on here, but as a mental health professional, you sometimes deal with very unstable people, especially if you specialize in severe issues like complex trauma, domestic violence, personality disorder, etc (which I do).

One that comes mind involved a not-so-lucid person calling wanting to involve me in their delusion in a not so great way (although they thought they were being helpful). Individual knew where my office was and my name. I try to protect myself somewhat by working in a building with other businesses nearby, sharing space with other clinicians, and not having a sign directly on the door to my office with my name, but the person's insistence was concerning. Additionally, I tend to work later than a lot of other people in the building (sigh, everybody wants after work times), so there aren't always others around.

My response was to try and work a similar schedule to my colleagues for the next few weeks and notify the individual that not only was I not going to see them, if they showed up I was going to call LE. Didn't really have enough to contact LE proactively. Also notified the EAP that referred the person they were actively delusional and needed more help that I could give in an out-patient facility. I wasn't able to share the details, due to confidentiality, but did express my worry in a generic way to husband, colleagues, and a couple close friends. My friends were concerned, but didn't really do anything. My husband didn't want me in the office by myself, but didn't do more than express that. I think most people are well-meaning, but tend to go on business as usual most of the time.

One of my colleagues was kind enough to try and coordinate schedules with me for a couple weeks, walk out with me to my car at the end of the day, and loan me a retractable baton for a while (I don't do guns and carting a bow around for personal defense is not really feasible). I had to give the baton back a while ago and probably need to invest in another one or something similar, tbh, until I have the time to get into martial arts classes like I have been planning.

Before that, I had a scare with some violence occurring between some clients in my office, during which I was threatened as well. Luckily, my threat to call LE was enough to get them out of the office. I locked the door and called 911 while things continued for them in my parking lot. It was taken care of and I refused to see these individuals together again. At this time in my career, the colleagues with which I shared my office had moved out and I was alone. I was also frequently the only person inside the building AND the office complex was located in a seedy part of town (I had stayed there because the landlord was nice, people knew where I was, and I had tons of space). This pretty much sped up the process of me moving from that space.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 pm 

To keep it vague I had to deny a guy for state benefits, he took it poorly. He stated he had nothing to lose and was going to come to my office and shoot everyone there. My boss called the cops who immediately stated " Oh yea that guy, we know him ".
The state hired a security guard, one who was amazingly incompetent, I mean I was actually impressed by his level of incompetence. One day I remarked to him about his belt holster that was empty, his response " Oh yea I forgot it at home". I started carrying a knife to work as I am barred from having a firearm at work, at least it's something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

The Twizzler wrote:
...the cops who immediately stated " Oh yea that guy, we know him ".

That is never a good thing to hear in a situation like that.

People like that literally have nothing to lose.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Once, while working private security, one of the neighborhood officers stopped by, words to the effect, not to be so strict with the 'street people'. Apparently they were becoming upset that I was enforcing the rules regard no loitering/trespassing on the clients property.

I left that job shortly & went to work for the Government as a civilian. Worst job that I have ever had.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am 

Dabster wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Mysterious is the new sexy. :crazy:

In all honesty, I was just walking to my car after work and I wondered what my employer would do if I was inexplicably on something like am ISIS hit list or something. Would it be, take three weeks of vacation. Or would it be, you're fired Pariah-boy!

Would the HOA ask me to move? Would grocery stores let me in? I don't live in a small town but if they're motivated to watch for me...

Just wondering.

Lots of people are on the ISIS hit list. :v: This is much less exciting than it sounds.

Their success rate is 0.00%.

:roll:

People threaten to kill people all the time. Like daily. The action rate of taking any adverse action on that is about 0.1%. There is always that one in a thousand. Of those that start aggressive activity, the activity is often noticed quickly (because someone just threatened the victim's life). If the police get involved early this tends to go away quickly. Unless it escalates very quickly and the police are not involved. Then people die or get seriously injured.

There are four basic reasons why people threaten to kill people and eventually do kill people (in order):

- Money (or other legal financial resources, but mostly money)
- Sex
- Drugs (both in use and in dealings)
- Mental illness in the attacker

I have never seen a case where it did not tie back to one of these. If someone is threatening to kill you and one of these are not involved then I would not take the threat seriously.

In most of the occupations I have worked death threats are fairly common. I'd say currently a week does not go by without one. If I get a serious one I discuss it with my coworkers and boss. I have not run across a serious one in a long time.

If you have a serious problem you need to first call the police and then tell your employer. Larger employers deal with this type issues occasionally and have ways of dealing with it. Don't bother calling the police if you are going to give them bullshit story about how some guy is "after you" and you have no idea why (when it is really because you stole an ounce of weed from him and got some side action from his baby's mama). The police won't believe you anyway.

So far as being banned from the local Food Lion due to being a bullet magnet that won't happen unless you are actually in a violent confrontation with someone on their property.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 pm 

I would recommend compartmentalizing your life a little.
This business of tying everything together is a very large concern to me.
Your e-mail hooked to your credit card, your social security number handed out to anyone who wants it. The car gets locked in the driveway but your DNA gets handed out to some faceless service?
That information never goes away... even the stuff that was supposed to be destroyed back in the 1960s is still there.
--
I was hunted by my birth family for a long time, wanting to do harm to me and mine. (Number 4 up there had a lot to do with it.)
Although all concerned are dead now; I still have multiple e-mails on different providers for different purposes, refuse to hand out my phone or social security numbers unless necessary (those who have the numbers are requested to ask me before handing out my number to anyone) , etc.

When younger, there were quite a few people at school, work, etc who willingly became our buffers (some quite militantly) and we were never treated oddly by anyone.
Many seemed to have some knowledge of similar circumstances. I didn't ask if they didn't want to explain.
-
Was that the sort of information you were looking for, OP?

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

Stercutus wrote:

So far as being banned from the local Food Lion due to being a bullet magnet that won't happen unless you are actually in a violent confrontation with someone on their property.

:clap:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm 

Dabster wrote:
Goofy thread title but bear with me...

This post is a question for anyone who, as an adult in civilian society (Not a war zone, combat or High School), has had reason to fear for your life because someone explicitly wanted to hurt you.

How were you treated by your employer, co-workers and neighbors? If they knew (For example that you were going to be testifying against the mob), did they treat you the same, better or worse than normal? Did schools allow your kids to attend?

Just wondering,

For most people that is a seriously life damaging event.

Unless you get entered into a Witness Protection Programme there is little to nothing that the Police / Law can do, or even want to do for you.

Perhaps, if something happens, you can get a restraining order, but they don't get handed out just because someone bothers you.

It's a Catch 22 : you either wait until the person attacks you / harms you or you proactively address the problem and likely find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

You can try to move away, far away, but then you will be going through a lot of upheaval and may need to keep little to zero contact to those that you knew in your old place. Doing that with a family is even harder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:05 pm 

Stercutus wrote:

There are four basic reasons why people threaten to kill people and eventually do kill people (in order):

- Sex

I have never seen a case where it did not tie back to one of these. If someone is threatening to kill you and one of these are not involved then I would not take the threat seriously.

Add to that :

1. Political Ideology

2. Religious Ideology

Plenty of threats are uttered because of these two, and some are indeed acted upon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:25 pm 

DJPrepper wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

- Sex

Add to that :

1. Political Ideology

2. Religious Ideology

Plenty of threats are uttered because of these two, and some are indeed acted upon.

I think that falls under the mental illness. Not to include cases of declared war.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 pm 

DJPrepper wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

- Sex

Add to that :

1. Political Ideology

2. Religious Ideology

I'd argue that Politics always goes back to money/ resources and religion is most often a combination of sex and money. It doesn't matter if the offender is killing an abortion doc or blowing himself up to screw 40 virgins in paradise.

Although many, many suicide attackers are high as kite on drugs/ alcohol. It is often one of the only ways that the terror group can convince the person to go through with it. If you want to throw mental illness in to the mix, sure plenty are also mentally ill. Mass shooters are universally either high, on mind altering drugs or conversely suddenly went off of their meds.

Most of the religious wars that were fought in Europe were using a slightly different belief system as a cover for ways to implement a tax scheme against the RCC. When Hitler pursued the Jews to near extinction his argument was that they hindered Germany financially. It would be tough to find a purely religious grounds case that did not involve sex.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:09 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
DJPrepper wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

- Sex

Add to that :

1. Political Ideology

2. Religious Ideology

I'd argue that Politics always goes back to money/ resources and religion is most often a combination of sex and money. It doesn't matter if the offender is killing an abortion doc or blowing himself up to screw 40 virgins in paradise.

Although many, many suicide attackers are high as kite on drugs/ alcohol. It is often one of the only ways that the terror group can convince the person to go through with it. If you want to throw mental illness in to the mix, sure plenty are also mentally ill. Mass shooters are universally either high, on mind altering drugs or conversely suddenly went off of their meds.

Most of the religious wars that were fought in Europe were using a slightly different belief system as a cover for ways to implement a tax scheme against the RCC. When Hitler pursued the Jews to near extinction his argument was that they hindered Germany financially. It would be tough to find a purely religious grounds case that did not involve sex.

Take a look at Myanmar / Burma.

Turns out Buddhists can be violent, too, and they ain't doing it because they are high or horny.