It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storm in SE Missouri
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:05 am 

Yesterday at approximately 4:30pm we got hit by a pretty decent storm. Power went out right away so I moved some frozen 2L bottles of water into the refrigerator just in case. My wife and 8 year old were out of town so it was just me, the 2 year old, and the dog. We played some games and I got out the oil lamps and flashlights just in case. Supper was a couple Hormel Compleates with peanut butter and honey crackers. By dark we had the lamps going and I lent one to a friend who didn't have one. It kept storming all night. There was a surprising amount of foot traffic about until 10pm or so. A lot of shady looking characters carrying gas cans. Guess they were hoping the gas station was open.

We had no power until 7:30 am today. I made some breakfast, checked my yard for damage, and refilled the lamps. I did my grocery shopping hoping to get some deals from the coolers as the whole town was blacked out for several hours. By the time I got home at 10:30 am my half of the town was out again.

This was pretty good practice. I didn't have to break out the camp stoves or anything (yet) and was able to keep the demon child occupied. The frozen bottles did the trick in keeping the refrigerator chilled and i haven't lost any food. I was a little perturbed about the foot traffic. I need alternate methods of charging my phone as I don't want to use the vehicles to do it. I also need to secure the gate to my back yard better. I can get my vehicles inside the fence but don't have padlocks or anything on the gates.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Storm in SE Missouri
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/External-Battery ... ies+merope

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:36 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Ghostdog914 wrote:
I need alternate methods of charging my phone as I don't want to use the vehicles to do it. I also need to secure the gate to my back yard better. I can get my vehicles inside the fence but don't have padlocks or anything on the gates.

I posted this a few days ago - https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=120169 - it allows me to charge my phone (or any electronics that draw a charge via a USB cord) using AAA or AA batteries. This is just a back up to my normal rechargeable cell phone battery pack. I have two battery packs and can get around 3 full phone charges out of them combined.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:59 pm 

External batteries are pretty solid although you have to check every once in a while if they are still charged, since they lose power over time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:39 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Prepper245 wrote:
External batteries are pretty solid although you have to check every once in a while if they are still charged, since they lose power over time.

I will not likely leave them in the charger unless I plan on using it in the near future. I bought a waterproof battery case to store some in and take them out as needed - will rotate them in normal device use as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am 
BANNED

you can order those handcrank chargers, I have one and it has usb connections an stuff it works good or you can make one with a simple DC motor and wire and stuff.