It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do NOT Ignore Symptoms
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:02 am 

Hello fellow ZSers....I recently went through and continue to recover from a very serious-life threatening medical condition and I thought I would share the details as a lesson to others. It started on a Saturday while I was walking my dog on a walking trail that used to be a rail line. I stumbled, fell and scraped my shins on a partially buried piece of wood. I had a large splinter in the right shin which I removed, sprayed with Polysporin and bandaged. the following Wednesday, at around 4:00 PM, I suddenly began to feel very sick and feverish. I went outside where it was about 15C and I was shivering uncontrollably. I went home and found that I had a temp of 40C. I figured I was coming down with something so I took some Tylenol and went to bed. Next day I felt worse and I could not eat anything - the thought of food made we want to be sick. I still had a high temp. I stayed home and felt even worse throughout the day. By Friday, I noticed some redness and swelling in my leg. I put more Polysporin on it and did not think it was related. By Monday, I had not eaten in 5 days, had a temp of 42C and could not even bend my knee due to redness and swelling. I went to my DR who send me immediately to the ER. I had either a severe infection or a possible deep vein blood clot. Multiple blood tests and an ultrasound ruled out a blood clot and showed that I had a massive infection. My white blood cell count was off the charts and my C Reactive Protein measurement was 192 - a measure of inflammation. Normal is between 0 and 4. I was within hours of developing full blow septicemia. I began to get golf ball sized blisters on my foot and leg and serum was literally leaking out of my skin on the leg. They began pumping me full of powerful IV antibiotics including Cipro and Vancomycin. I ended up spending 10 days in the hospital and am now recovering at home with home visits from a nurse each day. I am not able to walk fully yet and there are still signs of active infection - I am taking oral Cipro and Doxycycline antibiotics now and slowly returning to normal and returning to work gradually.

The lesson in his is - DO NOT IGNORE SYMPTOMS OR ASSUME THEY WILL GO AWAY ON THEIR OWN. Had I gone to the DR right away, a simple course of oral antibiotics would have solved the problem. Instead, I wanted until it became life and limb threatening and now face weeks of recovery. Don't be a typical stupid guy like I was - get help if something is wrong.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:14 pm 

I worked in a military ER for years.

Had a kiddo come in - had scratched his knee - just like you, three days on and was in the ER and on IV antibiotics.

Clean every wound completely! As Mantis notes here, things can get ugly fast.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:31 pm 

I'm glad you're ok! I'm of the "wait and see" type. Wash and prep the wound well, watch for signs of infection. If a bit of redness and swelling is usually normal for wounds but if you notice it getting larger or more and more tender then time to go in.

I don't take antibiotics unless told to by the Dr, because down here south of the boarder they are a bit over taken. Usually by Joe blow who gets a cold and takes antibiotic to treat a virus.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...