It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:32 am 

5.6 magnitude earthquake this morning epicentered 14km NW of Pawnee, Oklahoma. strong motion here in NE KS.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 am 

flybynight wrote:
5.6 magnitude earthquake this morning epicentered 14km NW of Pawnee, Oklahoma. strong motion here in NE KS.

Hellva way to wake up.

From ABC news

A record-tying earthquake in the edge of Oklahoma's key energy-producing areas rattled the Midwest from Nebraska to North Texas on Saturday and likely will focus fresh new attention to the practice of disposing oil and gas field wastewater deep underground.

The United States Geological Survey said a 5.6 magnitude earthquake happened at 7:02 a.m. Saturday in north-central Oklahoma, on the fringe of an area where regulators had stepped in to limit wastewater disposal. That temblor matches a November 2011 quake in the same region.

People in Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Des Moines, Iowa; and Norman, Oklahoma, all reported feeling the earthquake. Dallas TV station WFAA tweeted that the quake shook their studios, too.

Pawnee County Emergency Management Director Mark Randell said no buildings collapsed in Pawnee, a town of 2,200 about 9 miles southeast of the epicenter, and there were no injuries, either.

"We've got buildings cracked," Randell said. "Most of it's brick and mortar, old buildings from the early 1900s."

The office of Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin tweeted that state highway crews were checking for bridge damage and the state Department of Emergency Management would assess damage and determine how to address it. Geologists say damage is not likely in earthquakes below magnitude 4.0; no major damage was immediately reported Saturday.

An increase in magnitude 3.0 or greater earthquakes in Oklahoma has been linked to underground disposal of wastewater from oil and natural gas production. State regulators have asked producers to reduce wastewater disposal volumes in earthquake-prone regions of the state. Some parts of Oklahoma now match northern California for the nation's most shake-prone, and one Oklahoma region has a 1 in 8 chance of a damaging quake in 2016, with other parts closer to 1 in 20.

Matt Skinner, the spokesman of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which regulates the energy industry, said members of the panel's seismicity team were at work and would provide more details "as available."

The area where the quake was centered saw a magnitude 3.2 temblor earlier this week and is on the edge of a region covered by a "regional earthquake response plan" issued in March by the state Corporation Commission, whose goal was the cut the number of earthquakes by reducing wastewater injection volume by 40 percent from 2014 levels.

Oklahoma was late in imposing volume limits in its effort to reduce earthquakes, taking a different approach than Kansas after both states had an uptick in quakes in the first half of this decade. Kansas moved quickly to limit volume while Oklahoma concentrated on the depth of the disposal. Kansas saw a 60 percent drop while the frequency of quakes in Oklahoma continued to climb.

Sean Weide in Omaha, Nebraska, told the AP that he'd never been in an earthquake before and thought he was getting dizzy. Weide said he and one of his daughters "heard the building start creaking" and said it "was surreal."

Interesting take on the fracking angle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:17 am 

Related -

https://earthquakes.ok.gov/

Oklahoma state agencies are not waiting to take action. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission has been implementing evolving directives for wastewater disposal operators, known as the “traffic light” system, based on the general view that injection of disposal of wastewater into the basement rock presents a potential risk for triggering seismicity.

We invite you to explore earthquakes.ok.gov to learn more about the science informing Oklahoma’s efforts and the ways we are responding in the interest of all Oklahomans. We hope you take full advantage of the resources on this website and encourage you to contact us with reactions, questions or concerns through the “Contact Us” link at the top of the page.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:34 am 

When I posted this topic I did it in personal experience as it didn't seem to be a disaster. Being from southern California it wasn't that strong of a quake .... at least here where I live. Perhaps this thread should be moved to DICE as there seems to be considerable damage in OK

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/livecoverage/breaking-news-now/lc-AAiryD1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:26 pm 

Wastewater injection is being shut down over broad areas this week. That was quick. Historically local governments have not always been powerful enough to prevent a corporate entity from destroying municipalities through destruction of the Earth. A State government brings a little more to the fight and is harder to control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/us/ea ... .html?_r=0

Quote:
Seismologists say the quakes are caused by high-pressure injection of wastewater from oil and gas wells, both conventional ones and those that are hydraulically fractured, or fracked. As wastewater under pressure migrates into rock formations below ground, it alters stresses along old faults, allowing them to slip.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which oversees oil and gas activity, announced that it had ordered the shutdown of wastewater wells across 725 square miles in the area hit by the quake. About three dozen wells are affected, and will have to shut down in as little as a week, Ms. Fallin said on Twitter.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”