bug in ear

Share a personal survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
andrewza
*
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:01 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later
Location: this univers, milkyway, sole sytem, earth, africa South Africa, simmonstown

bug in ear

Post by andrewza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Yeah this happened to me Saturday morning at 0530. First the duty medic was like "sorry not life threatening I am not going to drive down and be a taxi serves. So I 1 hour 30 min later I am at the hospital and the Saturday and no ENT of course. So the Doc kills the bugger with medical alcohol and I come back Monday and it is removed. Now why bring this up. In a SHIFT you out side or inside matters not lots of bugs and your ear looks like it could be a nice home. So carry some cooking oil. If one crawls in pour it in your ear wait a while till it is dead and tilt head other side give a wiggle and presto you all good. Was out with room temp water and use some strong alcohol to disinfect. All so sleap with ear phones on. Bug in ear not fun.
Image

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: bug in ear

Post by quazi » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Never had a bug in my ear that required going to the doctor, but I can see how it could happen. That must have sucked.

I had a mosquito get behind my eyeball* and it took a little bit longer than usual to die. Usually when they get in my eye they die right away, but this one squirmed for a little bit. Probably wasn't long at all, but it was freaky enough that it felt like a long time.

*I don't know how far they actually get back in there, as I can't see them myself. It takes more than pulling my eyelid down, it usually requires me rolling my eyes around and someone spraying water to get it to the point that someone can get it out of there.

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: bug in ear

Post by taipan821 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:14 am

I guess the though is prevention is better than cure.

when I sleep without a mozzie net I wear something to cover my head, normally a headsox or a shemagh to stop the buzzing of mozzies
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

zantra
BANNED
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Re: bug in ear

Post by zantra » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 pm

I drove 100mph for 10 miles, age 17, with my mom holding his head in her lap and him screaming, a june bug sort of critter clawing at his eardrum. My brother nearly went nuts when a moth got in his ear (age 7) warm oil is the best treatment. they fight water/drowning. wear your Norton earvalve shooting plugs while you sleep if shtf, dudes.

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: bug in ear

Post by drop bear » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:32 am

got a moth stuck in my ear at a pub. the barman got it out with tweesers.

I was fine but it is apparently not the way to do it.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead
Location: Trinity City, Texas

Re: bug in ear

Post by Zimmy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm

I was unfortunate to see a killer bee attack while hunting in South Texas. The poor guy looked like a brown bear from all the bees covering him. We distracted the bees enough by shooting shotguns around the guy to get him clear.


He laid on the ground screaming about them filling his nasal cavities and ears. After lots of snorting and chewing he got the ones out of his head. We poured beer and tequila in his ears.

I'm a pretty steady guy when things go sideways but I froze up like a deer in the headlights when it first happened. My brain couldn't function with the idea of bees in my sinuses. That was horrible.
Boldly going nowhere

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4078
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: bug in ear

Post by teotwaki » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Zimmy wrote:I was unfortunate to see a killer bee attack while hunting in South Texas. The poor guy looked like a brown bear from all the bees covering him. We distracted the bees enough by shooting shotguns around the guy to get him clear.


He laid on the ground screaming about them filling his nasal cavities and ears. After lots of snorting and chewing he got the ones out of his head. We poured beer and tequila in his ears.

I'm a pretty steady guy when things go sideways but I froze up like a deer in the headlights when it first happened. My brain couldn't function with the idea of bees in my sinuses. That was horrible.

I hope it was medicinal grade beer and tequila! :clap: J/K!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: bug in ear

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Zimmy wrote:I was unfortunate to see a killer bee attack while hunting in South Texas. The poor guy looked like a brown bear from all the bees covering him. We distracted the bees enough by shooting shotguns around the guy to get him clear.


He laid on the ground screaming about them filling his nasal cavities and ears. After lots of snorting and chewing he got the ones out of his head. We poured beer and tequila in his ears.

I'm a pretty steady guy when things go sideways but I froze up like a deer in the headlights when it first happened. My brain couldn't function with the idea of bees in my sinuses. That was horrible.

I hope it was medicinal grade beer and tequila! :clap: J/K!
Is there any other kind?

Did the guy live?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
CG
* * * * *
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: bug in ear

Post by CG » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:42 pm

One of my most vivid memories from when I was young came from the emergency room. We were there because my grandparents brought in my brother after he started throwing up bright red koolaid, so I was probably around 6 years old and bored. :lol: I started talking to the guy sitting next to me. He had been sitting on the top row at a stadium and a moth that was attracted by the bright lights flew into his ear. The forceps in the ER were too large to get it out, so they'd sent him back to the waiting room while they were trying to get some from a neonatal unit.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead
Location: Trinity City, Texas

Re: bug in ear

Post by Zimmy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:18 pm

flybynight wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
Zimmy wrote:I was unfortunate to see a killer bee attack while hunting in South Texas. The poor guy looked like a brown bear from all the bees covering him. We distracted the bees enough by shooting shotguns around the guy to get him clear.


He laid on the ground screaming about them filling his nasal cavities and ears. After lots of snorting and chewing he got the ones out of his head. We poured beer and tequila in his ears.

I'm a pretty steady guy when things go sideways but I froze up like a deer in the headlights when it first happened. My brain couldn't function with the idea of bees in my sinuses. That was horrible.

I hope it was medicinal grade beer and tequila! :clap: J/K!
Is there any other kind?

Did the guy live?

He got stung so many times on his bald head it looked like blond hair.

Amazingly, he was almost immune to the stings. His nose got swollen like WC Fields and he switched from beer to tequila but was otherwise fine. When the exodus to Mexican partying occurred later that night, he stayed at the lodge and wanted to sleep.

This was a big wig hunt. He was the head of Texaco or Shell oil for the gulf coast. All these guys except me and my compadre were hot shots. Buck and I were farm boys turned firefighters and studying to be EMTs (we were the highest ranking folks for Cargill that hunted. Two shift supervisors). We stayed behind out of fear he might die. Nothing happened except him snoring like hell. We missed a rich man's all inclusive party in a Mexican border town.

Ha. I'd do it the same again, but the fantasy is amazing.
Boldly going nowhere

User avatar
grennels
* * * *
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: North Central Ohio

Re: bug in ear

Post by grennels » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:00 am

I can't testify but I've read that you can hold a light to your ear and bugs will crawl out seeking the light.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Post Reply

Return to “Personal Experiences”