It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Enlisting at 30?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:42 pm 

Ah, that is very wise to bring up a bunch of 20th Century US Imperialist vs Pre-WWII Isolationist politics and then not want to talk about it.

Wise indeed.

I'd say if you served but never deployed then you still served and should be proud of your service anyway (unless you feel it brings you great shame, hard to tell from your post). This unnecessary segregation that we have between:
- who deployed
- who went to a danger zone
- who got shot at
- who shot back
- who was wounded
- Etc

Is all unnecessary. Anyone who is mad enough, ready, willing and able to pick up a gun and put their life on the line is in a certain category to me. Most of the rest of it is circumstances and luck.

On my last deployment the Army had hired a number of civilian contractors to come and train the local police. I don't know exactly what the Army had told them when they hired them but they were under the impression that they didn't have to go on patrol and get shot at. I guess somebody lied to them. About half quit in the first two months and went home. This wasn't even the hard part of the war.

Soldiers don't get the option of throwing in the towel as soon as things get hairy. But on to the irony... We had absolutely no shortage of volunteers within our ranks to take the place of those leaving. It isn't everyone that run towards the sound of the guns but those who do are in a class of their own.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:
Ah, that is very wise to bring up a bunch of 20th Century US Imperialist vs Pre-WWII Isolationist politics and then not want to talk about it.

Wise indeed.

I'd say if you served but never deployed then you still served and should be proud of your service anyway (unless you feel it brings you great shame, hard to tell from your post). This unnecessary segregation that we have between:
- who deployed
- who got shot at
- who shot back
- who was wounded
- Etc

Is all unnecessary. Anyone who is mad enough, ready, willing and able to pick up a gun and put their life on the line is in a certain category to me. Most of the rest of it is circumstances and luck.

On my last deployment the Army had hired a number of civilian contractors to come and train the local police. I don't know exactly what the Army had told them when they hired them but they were under the impression that they didn't have to go on patrol and get shot at. I guess somebody lied to them. About half quit in the first two months and went home. This wasn't even the hard part of the war.

Soldiers don't get the option of throwing in the towel as soon as things get hairy. But on to the irony... We had absolutely no shortage of volunteers within our ranks to take the place of those leaving. It isn't everyone that run towards the sound of the guns but those who do are in a class of their own.

Points taken, probably should not have posted that. My apologies for the thread hijack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The Twizzler wrote:
Why can't you just ruin your knees at home?

:lol: I really did actually did LOL at this... My wife asked what was so funny and I told her some guy wants to sign up at age 30. Without missing a beat she says "I hope he has good shoes!"

Glad I did my time...more so now that it's over.

28 years, 16 days including my enlisted time, but not counting 4 years at the Blue Zoo were enough. Now a year into my second career and I feel every one of those ruck runs and parachute jumps every morning.

I applaud your desire...but man, I hope you know what you're getting into! It's definitely a young man's sport. If you're fit and take care of yourself, you'll be fine.

As pointed out above, Guard/Reserve time doesn't really help benefits-wise unless or until you accumulate enough active time on deployments, etc.

Appreciate your drive nonetheless, and wish you good fortune... Second on the recommendation to come over to the darkside...you'll put in the same time, but the pay is a lot better as a "zero" ...as an Officer...if you have the skills/credentials/education to earn a slot.

Good luck!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:41 pm 

ManInBlack316 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Wise indeed.

- who deployed
- who got shot at
- who shot back
- who was wounded
- Etc

Points taken, probably should not have posted that. My apologies for the thread hijack.

Speaking as someone who has served, deployed, fought, bled, came back sans parts, etc yadda yadda status signaling whatever...I agree more with Stercutus than with you, but you're not wrong to post that. Soldiers fight, but they don't have to fight stupid.

-George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 am 

As long as you are in good shape and prepared to being treated rough because of your age, you should have no major problems with joining the National Guard. Army Drill Sergeants will no be pleased that you do not fit the norm for a new recruit. I suspect after a couple weeks, proving you don't break and doing your best some of the pressure will stop.

I joined the Nation Guard and did basic at Ft. Sill OK. It took nearly a year to get approval to enlist and it required the State Adjutant General and a tree star at the Pentagon to make it happen.

In the end I shot 39/40 during BRM, graduated 4th out of my company and was earned Honor Graduate status. The Captain in charge of my platoon liked the way I was always smiling on road marches and saw to it that I was awarded the "Most Motivated Soldier" trophy.

As for age, two weeks after graduation I celebrated my 41st birthday.

I did 3.5 years in the ARNG and 17 years in the ANG. Retired as an Air Force Master Sergeant.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I heard this last week in a movie. It was at the very end. I liked it so much that I wrote it down.
Quote:
"There is more to life than a little money you know.
Don’t you know that?
And here you are.
And it’s a beautiful day.
Well, I just don’t understand it."
-Marge Gunderson “Fargo”

It would be a tough road at your age but doable. Some of your early supervisors may not yet be allowed to purchase alcohol. I know little to nothing about the Nat. Guard or Reserves in terms of benefits.

Suggestion? What was the lesson of Hamlet? To thine own self be true. List your top aims and then do what you need to do to accomplish them. Consider every branch. If it is primarily money for school, or schooling, then find out who and what offers you the best way to do it. It might mean that you need to study satellite comms and be stationed on a ship in Japan for 2 years. Try to avoid jobs where a robot could easily replace you in 5-10 years. I would think there are other forums where specific questions like yours would get answered specifically. The good news is that nearly everything allows a waiver if you want something or someone bad enough. I suggest that if you are promised something on paper by anyone acting in a government capacity and you are not given that, immediately write a letter to your congressperson and wait 5 days. Then show up at their office with a check for $25 donated to their campaign fund. Tell them you admire what they do and that you have this problem…

It is doable. You don’t have to be fit. You may be asked to jog a few miles at first.

In a rifle company once, we had a new join that was a PFC at 31 years of age. He had been a union welder and after a messy divorce with no kids decided he wanted out of Detroit. He was smart and a hard worker, very mature and responsible. In that battalion, he was promoted to Cpl and Sgt meritoriously, and very quickly. I think he was a Corporal for a month. He became one of our best squad leaders. This was an active US Marine infantry battalion. Plenty of people to talk about it around SoCal.

I always smile when I see someone write, “War is a Racket.” Thanks for bringing it up. It is hard to see when you are serving because your unit becomes your family and your family will do what it needs to do to survive and win; but, years later you start to start doing research on events and people and you realize it is all kinds of big business and that the profits are not nearly shared in an equitable manner. Smedley Butler was twice recipient of the Medal of Honor. He is revered for his actions, and in my mind for also writing a booklet everyone should read. This is the entire booklet: War is a Racket.

Somehow, arguments such as these today are painted to sound unpatriotic; so, see also:
Gen. David Shoup, USMC (Ret.) for what it is like to receive the MoH for actions of Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, but oppose the RVN War. Better yet, see that there are no formal diplomatic relations between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the U.S.A., and then check out organizations that seem to enjoy a great relationship with them. Join Boeing.

Good luck. It can be a lot like shooting dice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:05 pm 

don't do it for the money. I enlisted couple of years ago when I was 24 years old and graduated as physician in a hospital i can make twice the amount of money. But I was young and and wanted to go on adventure. Hopefully you know how hard it is I've never been in a typical war zone but to many times on places where disasters happened. I never had to fire a bullet on a real enemy but i've seen enough of death and pain. People who died in the explosions in Brussels after a terrorist attack. Had to tell desperate parents that their 12yo son didn't made it after a bus crash and 4 hours surgery. I've fought against Ebola, cholera, the plague,

Friends who serve at the battlefield told me different but also horrible stories and a lot of people here can tell you their story.

Maybe it's also important to know that the army is a job for when you are young. I don't see me doing this 10 years longer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 am 

My advice is to go for it. I'm in the guard. I met a lot of soldiers in basic training who were over 30 and they did fine. Pick the MOS you find most exciting, be it infantry, armor, Intel, whatever. Have a life story worth telling. I picked an MOS I wasn't too excited about to get a bonus, and I regret it. I could have done worse, though.

Also, I recommend a short active duty enlistment over the guard. Gives you VA bennies and a chance to travel a little. You can do ng after that if you still want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:37 pm 

longy wrote:
I think that you're too old, unless you've got 3+ years of prior service, cause you have to be able to complete 20 years by age 47. or something like that. If you've got some skill that they really want, you might get a waiver, or if they are desperate for recruits in some MOS, like grave registry, or bomb defusing/mine-finder. :-)

"something like that" being age is 62. Good to see your posts remain astonishingly consistently inaccurate. Honestly though your opinions matter more than any boring old facts. Kind of like EOD being a low skill MOS.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”