It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:22 pm 

I was shopping and at the self check out. I got a text. I read the text and set my phone down on the register. I put my groceries in my cart and left forgetting to pick up my phone again. It takes me approximately two minutes to walk to my car. I know because I've timed it. I got to my car and realized I didn't have my phone. I walk back into the store, my phone is gone. Find out after searching for it and checking lost and found 5 times that the customer who came to the self checkout after me pocketed my phone. I named him douche nozzle junkie.

Loss Prevention checked the cameras for me which is how I know that douche nozzle junkie took my phone. I called the police and they came and confirmed that douche nozzle junkie did indeed take my phone. I was not privy to the cameras. We were able to run a location search and by this point I just wanted my phone back. It would only be a misdemeanor anyways so I said I wouldn't press charges.

The police go to the location which I am assuming is douche nozzle junkie's house. They get my phone back. Douche nozzle junkie told the police that I gave him my phone for him to keep. Yeah whatever. Now my phone is all jacked because he did a system wipe. So my little draw a design security did nothing to protect my phone. I named him douche nozzle junkie because I don't know his real name and all his contacts were still in my phone when I got it back. I was extremely tempted to call his sponsor and his mom. Since that is how they were listed in the contacts but I resisted temptation and just deleted the phone numbers instead. This whole ordeal lasted 3 hours.

What did I learn?
1. Don't put my phone down either put it in my pocket or my purse.
2. I use an actual password now instead of the draw a design. It's supposed to be better.
3. If it's not a felony the police will definitely put it on the back burner. They told me as much and that I should just be prepared to cut my losses.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 pm 

I work at human services and a some of my clients are just experiencing hard times. The others sound just like the douche nozzle :x . If it makes you feel better even if you had called the contacts they probably wouldn't care or would be mad at you. I would also recommend letting your contacts know this happened as if he still had a few brain cells left he made a note of their info. You would be surprised what they can get from just that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:02 pm 

I didn't call because in the end I thought of my safety. I was still in my work uniform so he would know I work there and like you said who knows what info he picked up on me. I didn't him visiting me at my house because his sponsor or mom tried to talk sense into him and he got mad at me and decide to do more than just steal my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:49 am 

"Mom" might well be his dealer. In fact it probably is since it went in there first. I would not call it.

As soon as you say "I don't want to press charges" on a theft the police are going to rapidly lose interest. Why? Simple, the police are going to have a lot of other people who DO want to press charges on other things. This puts you straight to the bottom of list of things the officer has to do that day.

At least you got your phone back. It is getting tougher and tougher to steal a phone these days.

Years ago I had my wallet stolen in a similar way. I stopped at the counter in the PX to show ID before entry and set it down. Walked down the isle and realized I did not have it. Walked back (about one minute gone total) and it was gone.

The lady at the counter was rude and unhelpful and I called the MP's. Turns out the ID card checking lady had stolen it. There was a lot of drama that day let me tell you.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:37 am 

I didn't press charges because it was just a misdemeanor. I figured he'd just get paroled anyway and it took about 45 minutes just for the police to show up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:27 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Sorry to post late :)

I don't know your model of phone, but on a lot of them the password (whether pattern, number or word) is there to protect your data, not your phone hardware. They can often be wiped clean without entering the code. Once wiped the holder can set their own password, enter their own data and do what they like with it.

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:41 am 

I think the phones can be given a hard reset, home+volume up+power button or some such thing, to by pass the security lock - the phone gets reset and it is ready to go. A similar thing can happen to a PC or laptop that does not have the bios locked: stick in a thumb drive with linux, boot up a 'live CD' or reinstall another system.

I wish my phone had something akin to a bios lock...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:40 pm 

There is a lot of software to help people track a lost or stolen phone (generally it all needs to be set up as a precautionary measure). In some cases with phones or laptops you can basically remotely activate the camera or microphone. And, if the phone is in use you you can also use cloud based image sharing to track where photos are being taken. Still easier to just track GPS if that's an option though.

Old Story about a hacker's desktop computer being stolen and how he got it back (without GPS). It's just amusing. Being able to use a phone's GPS to actually track the device makes this a whole different situation.