My Adventure with the blizzard this morning.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: My Adventure with the blizzard this morning.

Post by flybynight » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Here's one http://www.josbank.com/signature-merino ... 0001551180 :twisted:
And when you're not fighting blizzards , you can ace every ugly sweater contest in your state.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:01 am

DesertGator33 wrote:
SheepDog68 wrote:I would also upgrade the cotton long underwear, but I'd go with merino wool instead of plastic myself! Not only do I like wearing it better I like that fire doesn't cause it to shrink wrap you like plastic does.

The other easy upgrade is a good merino wool sweater can be $20-$25 if bought in a resale shop or on eBay! The 1/4 zip or 1/4 button ups are easy to live with and pack nicely as well.

SD
Any Suggestions on brands?
Brands to look at:
LL Bean
Ice Breaker (They make Red Ram and Cabelas)
Smart Wool (New cut on boxer briefs not as comfortable to me, but other items still top shelf)
Brooks Brothers Merino sweaters fit me quite well and I really like them for a warm layer.
Others likely, but brain is slow this morning!

I own and love the LL Bean 1/4 zip merino wool tops! I have several and wear them a lot ! I should try their matching bottoms, but got several merino wool and merino/silk bottoms from Sierra Trading Post that I'm wearing right now!

Day to day 3 plus seasons I tend to wear merino wool Tshirts and boxer briefs along with good wool socks. They give me a wide temperature range comfort zone that I really like except during hot summer weather.

Cabelas just started carrying a in house brand made by Ice Breaker that are likely my favorite Tshirt/boxer briefs. I haven't tried their long underwear yet, but will unless I get another killer deal from STP!

SD

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:44 am

It must have truly been a freak storm. I find it somewhat troubling that you were stationed at Pendleton and lived on the other side of the planet but have to ask people questions about dealing with weather or under-clothes. Don't get me wrong. Forums are great places to ask questions and get a great variety of feedback, often well-informed; however, the desert is often most unforgiving in terms of extremes so this and the fact that you have travelled widely could make one think you should be better prepared for just about anything. Heck, I think I lived mainly outdoors the first 4 years in service.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the products from LL Bean. Form, fit and function suffice for the field or the office and they have a lifetime guarantee for their products. To save money, buy used mil surplus. For cold weather gear, buy in the summer.

Lightweight polypro and an outer shell should be common.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product ... ctID=57234
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:35 am

Asymetryczna wrote:I find it somewhat troubling that you were stationed at Pendleton and lived on the other side of the planet but have to ask people questions about dealing with weather or under-clothe
I was under the impression that's what this forum was for, sharing and asking for feedback. I'm aware of how well my gear can and does work, it got me across town when the storm lightened up, and works well in more familiar weather experiences, I was simply asking if anyone had a better suggestion than what I'm already using.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:44 am

DesertGator33 wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:I find it somewhat troubling that you were stationed at Pendleton and lived on the other side of the planet but have to ask people questions about dealing with weather or under-clothe
I was under the impression that's what this forum was for, sharing and asking for feedback. I'm aware of how well my gear can and does work, it got me across town when the storm lightened up, and works well in more familiar weather experiences, I was simply asking if anyone had a better suggestion than what I'm already using.
It is. Perhaps "surprised" would have suited you better than "troubled." I too ask a lot of questions and remain teachable.
Henry David Thoreau

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am

Asymetryczna wrote:
DesertGator33 wrote:
It is. Perhaps "surprised" would have suited you better than "troubled." I too ask a lot of questions and remain teachable.
I have no problems with the poly, and they have remained my preferred base layer. I actually asked about boots goggles and a winter jacket for snow, several people suggested replacing my cotton bottoms, and I mentioned I had some bottoms as well as a second set of full polys being sent to me from a buddy, but asked if anyone had anything they suggested that would work as well.

The last time we got snow like this was in 97, I was just curious to see what people that live in this weather seasonly suggested, to add to my winter prep, if it's happened once it's liable to happen again, I just wanted to have a more well rounded prep for it.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Light, medium or heavy weight polypro (as required) under a basic goretex shell will fit most of your needs, and can be found at great prices at surplus stores and sites. If I don't want to be in MARPAT or woodland, a thin, Goretex jacket or raincoat can be found for under $100. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68624?fe ... ain-jacket After or during the time you really need it is not the best time to buy as you are probably aware. The shell is mainly to keep water out/let vapor escape and most of the effects of the wind out. The under layer is for warmth.

For potential to turn bad weather boots, I have Danner Arcadias. I purchased them from Battlefield Police Supply in Manassas, VA because they had the best price when I called around, app. $90. I wouldn't want to run long distances in them but I do not want to run long distances any more. Since buying them, in October 1994, they have been on 3 continents and I still wear them a lot about 4 months out of the year.

Eyewear tends to have a rule people do not like to talk about: the more you spend the greater likelihood that they are lost or stolen quicker. I have a pair of the early Oakleys an FBI friend gave me in 1993 and a set of the ESS ICE eyeshields I purchased off ZS maybe 5 or 6 years ago for less than half the retail price. http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2X-Retail- ... etail.html. I like that they protect my eyes and come with a band. Having been downed for 2 days due to snowblindness and for periods to have cancer cut off, I can attest to the dangers of the sun as well as driving snow or rain. To lessen the effects of fogging, I still prefer toothpaste. Wax on; wax off.

If you have problems locating what you need, drop me a line. No better friend, and all that...
Henry David Thoreau

B9ev
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by B9ev » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:22 pm

I am glad that you made it back home safe, my friend was visiting her parents in Clovis and I saw pictures of 15 foot drifts against their buildings.

I had to travel from Albuquerque to Santa Fe that Sunday morning to cover a critical shift that began at 6am with a 4:30am notice (employee called out due to weather and none of the other 50ish qualified and available employees responded to that shift with such short notice, hence on-call called me). I had no idea what weather conditions to expect so I packed:

1. Windproof North Face shell with a lightweight fleece zipped into it.
2. Windproof North Face insulated pants.
3. Very insulated North Face gloves.
4. Windproof Mountain Hardware beanie and an offbrand balaclava
5. Thick wool scarf
6. Heavy duty gaiters
7. Oakley ski goggles

I wore: saxx underwear, rei silk baselayer pants and shirt, jeans, tshirt, hoodie, had a heavyweight North Face fleece jacket, heavyweight Smartwool socks, Chippewa waterproof 10" lined boots, revo sunglasses, offbrand mechanix like gloves.

Because my DD F350 wasn't available to me I was in my Tacoma. My Tacoma has nothing in it ordinarily so I took a shovel, tow strap, d rings (I don't keep d rings on my bumpers on that truck), several bottles of water, shortbread cookies (high calories)

It turned out I didn't need much of anything in preps but I would rather be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Return to “Survival Experiences”