What was your first pistol?

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

coastwatcher42
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland

Re: What was your first pistol?

Post by coastwatcher42 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:17 pm

My first pistol was a S&W Model 39 9mm semi-auto that my mom's boyfreind gave me for my 14th birthday. My mom wasn't real happy about it but she let me keep it. I wish that I still had it but I traded it years later, along with some cash, for a Springfield Armory M1A.

Last edited by coastwatcher42 on Tue May 26, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eyes
And shoot him with my old .45
Cause a country boy can survive"

Hank Williams, Jr.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:52 am

Mine was an H&R Model 922, 9-shot .22 LR revolver. Butt-ugly thing, as you can see.

Loved it, though. Gift from my dad when I was 13, I think.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Tue May 26, 2015 7:29 am

Unique DES69 target pistol. Very accurate and easy to shoot- particularly for anyone with small hands.

Posted it to my friend in Denmark just before they got banned in UK in 1998. Last I heard he had passed it on to a lady shooter to learn target shooting with.

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Wed May 27, 2015 6:49 pm

A Cz 82. It was the wrong gun for me, in that it just didn't fit my hand well, but it did spark an interest in CZ firearms that caused me to get a 452 and sp-01 both of which I love, so I have no regrets.
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 pm

S&W SD9VE.

Bought it new a few years ago. Cheap, reliable, good warranty, USA made....still have it, can't complain.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Fri May 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Sig P250, compact .40 S&W. Eventually sold it and bought a G17.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sat May 30, 2015 4:29 am

First pistol ever shot? DAI 9mm derringer. Kicked like a mule but sparked a gun loving fire in me (First gun I ever shot, period.) It's still in the family.

Ever owned? Ruger Blackhawk in .357, sweet trigger, built like a tank, accurate and on my short list of guns that will never leave me and mine. Birthday present when I was 14 (Lived on a farm at the time and a full size 12g was just too much to lug around at dead cat thirty, but my trusty .22 would've just pissed off the bears and cougars that hung around.)

Ever bought? 1914 Nagant pistol, with a Cyrillic "All Hail Peter the Great" emblazoned on the side. Bit of interesting history with that one, hard to feed, poor sights, horrible trigger, but it's so ugly it's cute.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

MrFord
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MrFord » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:13 am

8 weeks salary from basic training netted me enough for a Colt Lawman Mk III, a Don Hume holster and 2 boxes of 357s.

Mr
Youth and Enthusiasm Will Never Defeat Old Age And Treachery
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Orwell

Mack63
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, Dead Snow; Red vs Dead, TWD, Z Nation

Post by Mack63 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:19 pm

When I was a kid, I used to always shoot my Dad's Ruger Standard .22 LR pistol, he bought in 1956, and I still have.
The first pistol I bought was a Smith & Wesson Trooper .357 Magnum, and being used to shooting 22s and shotguns I didn't wear ear protection the first time I took it out. I couldn't hear anything for a few hours but ringing. I sold that one not long after because it had a hair trigger. My 2nd pistol was my favorite, a Ruger Super Black-hawk 44 Magnum.

Mack

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:27 am

Mine was a charter Arms Undercover in 38 special. (2" snub nose five rounds, same as a smith j frame) although the Charter Arms is a little lighter than a standard j frame.

When my fiancée's father passed a way she decided to move in to my house. She had always lived in her parents house. Her mother had passed away five years earlier. As we were cleaning out the house she told me that her father had purchased a gun years ago but she didn't know where it was.

Her mother had been suffering from severe depression and threatened suicide. My fiancée thought perhaps her father had hid the gun to keep it away from the mother. We cleaned out almost everything in the house, basement, attic, closest, getting ready to sell the house, didn't find the gun.

One night I decided to go over and look again for the gun. The kitchen had suspended ceiling tiles and I thought maybe the guy had hid the gun up there. I got a ladder and started lifting panels and shining a light up there. No luck. As I am getting off the ladder I look down into a broom closet and see a box behind a mop and broom. I go over and pick up the box. It's covered in contact paper like you put in drawers or shelves. I open the box, it's 50 rounds of 38 special ammo. Under that box was the gun in it's original box, still wrapped in the oil/wax paper. There is also a receipt from the gun store for the gun and 50 rounds of ammo.

The gun had never been fired! The sporting good store that the receipt was from had been closed for 20 years!

I told my fiancée I would buy the gun from her and her brother (heirs to the estate). He didn't want the gun, but agreed to trade it to me in exchange for me repairing the roof on a dormer window on the house so they could sell it. The gun cost me $50 dollars in shingles and two half days of work on the roof.

I used that gun to get my concealed carry license and it's still my EDC carry when I wear a tucked dress shirt.

BigFish
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, World War Z

Post by BigFish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:48 am

Glock 23C was my first and it's the only one I own.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Mine was a little Taurus .22 semiauto. While it was tiny (especially on me), it was a good and reliable little utility pistol, and hell on snakes.
I wore it on my belt, and it never got any attention, even when Ken and I were out shooting in the desert and a Deputy came up to see what all the noise was. He and Ken oohed and aahed over his Beretta, and the officer never even noticed that I had one on.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:18 am

My Pietro Beretta (Made in Italy) 92fs. It was my high school graduation present. Sold it a couple years ago to get my car fixed.

Last edited by BadLands_Shooter on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:53 am

First one I bought was a replica of a Rem 1858 .44 C&B Revolver.
It was fun to shoot. although a huge pain to clean.
It also got me hooked on carrying revolvers while out and about on the farm.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:55 pm

British Enfield No 2 MK I in .38 S&W. Cost of $25.00 back when. Great little round. It does not have a hammer spur, so it might have been a tanker model. I still have it. I hate to guess how many rounds I fired through it. Reloading saves a bunch of money.
Zombies don't ski.

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:47 am

Astra A-80 in .45 ACP.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Browning HP
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:28 pm

Beretta 948, 22LR, had a frozen firing pin... fired full auto.!!!

Couldn't hit spit with it in full auto.

Rancher

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:12 pm

coastwatcher42 wrote:My first pistol was a S&W Model 39 9mm semi-auto that my mom's boyfreind gave me for my 14th birthday. My mom wasn't real happy about it but she let me keep it. I wish that I still had it but I traded it years later, along with some cash, for a Springfield Armory M1A.

Beautiful. :clap:
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 pm

A used gen 1 glock 23 I bought myself when I turned 21. No clue how many thousands of rounds I have put through it and it is still my favorite. Carried it concealed for near 2 decades before wimping out and switching to a much lighter XDS9. I love the convenience of the XDS, but if times were truly tough, I would switch back to that old glock without hesitation.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Mej1947

Post by Mej1947 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:31 pm

My first handgun was a Colt 1911A1. It was issued to me about two months into my first tour in Vietnam when I joined my squad’s demo team. Never fired a handgun before that.
A few things I learned quickly. When you're in a firefight where everybody else has a rifle or a machine gun and all you have is pistol, you spend a lot of time on the range burning up lots of taxpayer supplied ammo learning the capabilities of that particular weapon. The second thing was that a 25 year old beat up 1911A1 is capable of much better accuracy than 99.9% of the operators behind the gun. Thirdly, that little bit of extra tension you put on the magazine spring forcing that last round in there is responsible for most mechanical malfunctions. I’ve found that last item to be true of most magazine fed weapons. If you are having a feeding problem with any magazine toss it. The cost of a new mag is cheap insurance when your life’s on the line.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:32 pm

92FS. Was young(er) and didn't know any better at the time. That DA is a bit better now after a spring swap, but still an obsolete weapon in the grand scheme of things.

Rock a G19 now and won't look back.

Frieslander

Post by Frieslander » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:56 am

My first buy was a PX4. I sold it after picking up a 92FS, which is what I should have gotten in the first place. Great factory DA trigger but not for me in the end.

The first handgun I ever shot was a friend's Mark 23. That was neat-o.

Grit

Post by Grit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52 am

Model 19 Smith .357

Return to “Survival Experiences”