Health Scare

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

Health Scare

Post by mantis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm

I went to be last night feeling generally fine. By 2AM I was waking up and vomiting my guts out. The Nausea was accompanied by a persistent ache in my upper left side just below the rib cage. The pain radiates right from the front right of my abdomen to the small of my back. It's a dull ache with the odd "stab" of sharper pain that seems to originate from my side slightly towards the front of my stomach. I went to emergency this morning and they did a bunch of blood work and pressed on and listened to my stomach. They ruled out any immediate life threatening condition such as appendicitis, peritonitis, etc. but they are not sure what is wrong. I am not vomiting at this point but that dull ache remains. Pushing on my stomach does not hurt but they noted that my abdominal muscles have some unusual rigidity. I am going to be having an MRI later this week The doctor said it could be anything from a case of food poisoning where the amount of vomiting inflamed the abdominal muscles to something much more serious. They sent me home but I am to return if the vomiting returns or if the pain gets worse. I am hoping it is nothing but I am more than a little edgy right now waiting for an answer.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Re: Health Scare

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

mantis wrote:The doctor said it could be anything from a case of food poisoning where the amount of vomiting inflamed the abdominal muscles to something much more serious... I am hoping it is nothing but I am more than a little edgy right now waiting for an answer.
No doubt! Here's hoping for a good result. Don't sweat it too much until you hear, but I know that's easier said than done.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Have you been having normal bowel movements in the days leading up to the pain and vomiting?

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Have you been having normal bowel movements in the days leading up to the pain and vomiting?

Completely normal.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

Urdnot_Grunt

Post by Urdnot_Grunt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:25 am

Let's just hope it's a normal food poisoning. I know it's nothing peachy but still better than something more serious. Fingers crossed here. Let us know, please.

modF

Post by modF » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 am

Hopefully today you are feeling much better!

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:08 pm

been 2 days, is mantis still alive?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Got the results back from the MRI - everything looks ok. Some enlargement of my lymph nodes but I have also developed a hell of a bad case of strep throat - that might have been the cause of the lymph node issue. They have officially chalked it up to a case of food poisoning with strains to the abdominal muscles from all the vomiting.

countglockula

Post by countglockula » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 pm

So what did you eat the night before the attack?

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:58 pm

countglockula wrote:So what did you eat the night before the attack?
I seem to recall that I had a couple of burgers at a company BBQ for lunch and some Chinese food (shrimp) at dinner - both are potential candidates for food poisoning although nobody else at work got sick.

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by Myana » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 am

Glad it seems to have passed. I've pulled muscles while vomiting before, simply from the force (or length of time) that I was puking. Hopefully your pains were something similar!

Alaskancouple
Favorite Zombie Movies: That British one with the kid who has a pet zombie.

Post by Alaskancouple » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:33 pm

You haven't been to Africa lately, have you?

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:40 am

Alaskancouple wrote:You haven't been to Africa lately, have you?

LOL...thankfully no.

Scottyhikes
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. WORLD WAR Z. Dawn of the Dead

Post by Scottyhikes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 am

As long as your thoughts are healthy, your body´ll stay healthy.

Anyway i wish you the healthyness you need.
My friends are my estate.

Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

Return to “Survival Experiences”