Well, we got to bug out last week...

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gun toting monkeyboy

Well, we got to bug out last week...

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed May 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Wildfires. They suck. This was the fourth or fifth time we have had to bug out in the last 15 years or so. The fires ended up missing us again, but it was a close thing. The wind shifted, and took it the other way. So here is a run-down of what worked, and what didn't:

Worked:
We have large plastic bins and assorted plastic boxes already labeled, and stacked together in a staging area in our basement. Some for things like my wife's scrap books, and anything that we will need and can't be replaced easily. And about half of the boxes (the smaller ones) were set up to load the various reptiles and other small pets into for easy transportation. This allowed us to gather up what we needed to grab quickly, and provided a rough checklist of what we still needed to grab.

The computers now have online back-up, so we don't have to load all the towers to save everything. We picked up the laptop and its charger, and called it good. We were able to keep up with the fire that way, and also able to access the internet more easily than we can on our phones.

We had each of the kids grab a couple of outfits and put them in a backpack. They also grabbed a few toys to play with.

Food, water and shelter weren't an issue, as we were bugging out all of about 3 miles, to my parent's house.

"Toys"... Well, my toys, anyway. The first time I bugged out, I loaded up the trunk with as many of my guns as I could, and enough ammunition to invade a Banana Republic. Each time since then, it has gone down, to the point where the last time I just tossed a handgun and an extra magazine in the trunk and called it good. This time around, I actually had several handguns in the trunk as part of a planned trip to the range. I tossed in a shotgun for good measure, mostly because there had been several reports of traffic getting hung up because of locked gates leading out of several of the gated communities near by. I figured have a universal gate key along would be handy. It wasn't needed, but useful to have along.

Clothing and personal supplies was pretty simple. We grabbed a couple of gallon ziplocs and raided our bathroom. Anything that looked useful got tossed in. We also grabbed all of the phone chargers. My wife and I also grabbed 2 days worth of clothing, and I added a set of Desert BDUs and boots, in case I was needed for our local CERT team. They hold up well enough, don't scream "militia nutball". Besides, they are good for the conditions, had I needed to work outside in the 100+ degree heat.

We finished packing, and were out of there in less than an hour. They hadn't issued a mandatory evacuation order, but we have learned not to wait. And we had lost power half way through packing. The streets leading out of our area through the local town were a parking lot. The alternate route through the back roads to the freeway were mostly clear. We went that way instead.

We left a note on the door saying we were all pulled out, where we could be reached, and other info on contacting us. I know that sounds like an invitation to rob the place, but we have insurance, and it is better for the local fire department to not have to worry about which buildings might have people holed up in them. Besides, the Sheriff's department was patrolling pretty heavily.

What didn't work:

We have horses, but no horse trailer. This was our biggest hang-up. Our emergency plan calls for turning them out in the arenas, which have wide clear-cut areas around them Not ideal, but reasonably safe. Still, we much preferred to get the horses out. The good news is that we live in a horse community, so many of the neighbors had trailers. After they had evacuated their horses, they came back to pick up stragglers. My wife and I had dropped the kids and several vehicles off at my parent's place, and come back to keep an eye on things. We were able to get the horses evacuated to the local race track (Del Mar. Which, incidentally, is super organized, and ran like clockwork, despite having an influx of over 1200 horses in about 10 hours). The goats were left in the paddock, simply because it was reasonably clear, fire-wise. Animal Control evacuated them the next day, simply because they felt like pulling them out in case people couldn't come back quickly. Not really needed, but it was a nice gesture.

Changes to our future plans:

Get a freakin' horse trailer. Other than that, everything went really well. We will probably add an overhead zip-line set up for the dog's leashes to attach to. The poor critters spent most of 4 days in their kennels. Not a fate worse than death, but it was probably less than ideal for them. We had the odd "we forgot _____", but it was things like a toothbrush (which we had many extra of in the supplies we took with us). Most of our emergency plans involve sheltering in place. This is about the only kind of disaster that actually requires us to move out for any length of time.

On a whole, it went really, really well. And nobody in our family lost their houses. So I would call it a win. Had we needed to take more food and water, it would likely have taken another half hour to an hour, but not much more. It was good practice, and showed us where we needed to change things.

-Mb

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Well, we got to bug out last week...

Post by Boondock » Wed May 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks for the AAR. Glad things worked out.

Jolly Green

Post by Jolly Green » Wed May 21, 2014 3:55 pm

If this is a recurring issue (which if it's anything like rural MT it is) the best advice I can give is when you do get a horse trailer, you might want to devise a secure, weather-proof storage issue to keep in the trailer. Call it a mobile shed if you will, but from the time analysis this could save you a half hour and peace of mind. Shouldn't take up much space from the sounds of it either if it is stacked up in the front of the trailer.

Otherwise, well done. It is always good to have a plan of action and good on you for implementing it before it became mandated.
~Jolly Green Survival
"It takes 3 seconds to make a stupid decision"
ZS Paid Member, no thanks to staff failures...
WFR certified
CitizenZ wrote:while they have their legs up, jam a tube up their pooper and administer fluids through that.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm

As I said, we need to get a trailer. We picked up a cargo van, and have it all set to pull one. We just haven't gotten around to actually getting one yet. They are expensive, and we need to figure out where to store it when it is not being used.

What kind of shed are you talking about? Like something to put over the trailer, or something for us to use?

-Mb

Jolly Green

Post by Jolly Green » Wed May 21, 2014 5:14 pm

I was giving advice for *when* you get the trailer. I know they are not cheap. Best of luck!

And "Mobile Shed" is what I call my trailers, since all they do is accumulate stuff.
~Jolly Green Survival
"It takes 3 seconds to make a stupid decision"
ZS Paid Member, no thanks to staff failures...
WFR certified
CitizenZ wrote:while they have their legs up, jam a tube up their pooper and administer fluids through that.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Wed May 21, 2014 5:39 pm

I tossed in a shotgun for good measure, mostly because there had been several reports of traffic getting hung up because of locked gates leading out of several of the gated communities near by. I figured have a universal gate key along would be handy. It wasn't needed, but useful to have along.
I don't think I understand what you meant to say here. Do you mean that people were locked into their gated community? And you planed on busting them out? Or did I misunderstand?
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed May 21, 2014 7:10 pm

I've seen horse trailers like that, hey have some storage in the front, sort of like a toy hauler.

I keep out bathroom stuff permanently in travel bags. I bought 4 nice sized toiletry kits and when I buy things like new toothbrushes and toothpaste I put it in the travel bag and the one from the bag goes in the bathroom. This way we always have fresh stuff and no need to pack it.

Same with a lot of other stuff, whatever storage container I buy for it is made portable, say scrapbooks for example, get some of those milk crate like storage crates from the office supply store and stack them like shelves then you just grab them and go.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Mon May 26, 2014 1:18 am

Food, water and shelter weren't an issue, as we were bugging out all of about 3 miles, to my parent's house.
If your house becomes seriously threatened by an active wildfire, your parents house will also be in the evacuation zone. You need somewhere farther to bug out to. Just a thought.

Also, it's not a good idea to shoot at padlocks with any firearm. Get a pair of bolt cutters, they're cheap.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Mon May 26, 2014 3:12 pm

If you're going to shoot locks use a breaching round, they're designed for that purpose and less chance of crap flying back at you, though you might still want to wear some PPE.

Are you in SOCAL? I was walking to the barracks from work the other night and could see the horizon glowing to the north of Miramar.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Moving to Personal Experiences. I'm glad everything went reasonably well for you and your family, all things considered.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am

Why didn't you take all the guns? Shits expensive to replace if they get burnt up.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Viper shtf wrote:Why didn't you take all the guns? Shits expensive to replace if they get burnt up.
Insurance coverage. If my firearms burn up I've got coverage for all of them plus the accessories.

Not sure if the OP has something similar.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed May 28, 2014 4:05 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:
Viper shtf wrote:Why didn't you take all the guns? Shits expensive to replace if they get burnt up.
Insurance coverage. If my firearms burn up I've got coverage for all of them plus the accessories.

not to be nit-picky, but would insurance replace them if they knew you could have taken them with you, but you left them on purpose?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Barnabus wrote:
jeepinbandtrider wrote:

not to be nit-picky, but would insurance replace them if they knew you could have taken them with you, but you left them on purpose?
Pretty sure the insurance companies would understand that when forced to evacuate some things get left behind.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 pm

I didn't know you were local to San Diego... Where you running from the San Marcos fire?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed May 28, 2014 7:04 pm

I have had to make claims with two large insurance companies and they would not replace anything unless I had a receipt/inboicr. Didn:y matter if I had pictures and such. Keep that in mind for the things you do leave behind.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:21 pm

eugene wrote:I have had to make claims with two large insurance companies and they would not replace anything unless I had a receipt/inboicr. Didn:y matter if I had pictures and such. Keep that in mind for the things you do leave behind.
I'm relatively certain they have to reimburse you if you purchase something at a garage sale and don't get a receipt for it, or something your grandparents left you 20 years ago. If my insurance company wouldn't reimburse me for things they could see were burnt up in my house but I didn't have a receipt for, I'd get a lawyer. That's why you need pictures of your possessions though, a printer could be any printer for example, when all that's left is a pile of slag. From what I can internet, it appears they have to replace it if you say you had it, even without a receipt, as long as it isn't expensive art/jewelery for example, which would require extra insurance.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Dunno what they have to replace or not, just saying twice they refused to replace items I had pictures of but no receipt. The cost of the items was less than the cost of hiring a lawyer.
Figure the $5 yard sale items will add up less than the deductable but any heriloom you would want to have appraised and that appraisel would substitute as the receipt.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:49 pm

For my guns, I had to purchase a separate rider just to cover valuable items. Anything on that rider [some collectibles, anything that is expected to hold or increase in value] had to have a value assigned and pictures of the item with identifying information, such as serial numbers or identifying documents like tax stamps or proofs of purchase. I'm covered for them even if they're in my car, if the house burns down, boating accidents, whatever.

When it comes to insurance, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever assume something is covered under a policy unless it's in writing and you can prove you owned it. I'm having to update the policy with new items, and I'll likely have to demonstrate value again.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Yep, don't assume because you have a picture of an item that they will reimburse.
My guess is that since receipts/invoices are technically legal agreements that is why they can be used and not pictures.

Return to “Survival Experiences”