Woke up with the gun in my hand unaware of why I had it.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tazmanny

Woke up with the gun in my hand unaware of why I had it.

Post by tazmanny » Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 am

Hi all,

I had a very scary experience yesterday. I usually leave my gun in its case behind the bed during the night. I was cleaning it prior to going to sleep and I just left it in the night stand and didn't bother putting it back in its case under the bed. Somewhere during the night around 3-4AM I woke up unaware that I was holding the gun and aiming it at the closet while slightly propped up in bed.

Imagine the guy in the picture above holding a gun on the right hand. That was me. Scary stuff!

I have woken up before in a prone position with my head up high not touching the pillow as if I had heard something and then realize I wake up in that posture. But yesterday was in a whole new different level. I had never grabbed anything near me that could make it such a dangerous situation. Fortunately I keep my gun loaded but not cocked and even if I had pressed the trigger nothing would come out unless I had cocked it in my sleep.

I don't recall if my finger was in the trigger, and the closet shares a wall with the laundry room which shares the backstop wall with the bathroom. I wasn't pointing it at any place that would be dangerous for a stray bullet or that had a risk of having a human in its way, but still.

Has anyone had a experience like this before? I don't recall if I was even dreaming and I am completely unaware of the events that led to me grabbing it and pointing it to the closet.

Some input would be appreciated. Just in case, I put it back in its box and locked it with a simple lock

I figure if I have to use dexterity to and add some extra steps I might be awake in the future if I ever find myself in the same position but I am still freaked out.
https://sites.google.com/site/simunomicsguide
Can you beat a Business Simulation game if you played against real people?

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Re: Woke up with the gun in my hand unaware of why I had it.

Post by Zimmy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 am

Did you look in the closet??
Boldly going nowhere

tazmanny

Post by tazmanny » Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 am

An extra shoe could barely fit in that closet. :crazy: I was the only one home, and there were no noises coming out of anywhere. Just me waking up unaware of what I was doing at the time.
https://sites.google.com/site/simunomicsguide
Can you beat a Business Simulation game if you played against real people?

nathat

Post by nathat » Tue May 20, 2014 11:11 am

If you don't remember how you got a gun or why you're aiming it; I think you need to put them in a gun safe with a dial lock or give them to a family member for a time. That's not safe.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 am

I'm with nathat on the gun safe.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Tue May 20, 2014 11:40 am

My guess would be that you had a dream that included a threat. I'm glad you added one more layer to keep your self from causing a tragedy - an unintended discharge could have serious consequences for you or your family.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue May 20, 2014 11:40 am

Alcohol? Drugs? Prescription medication?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue May 20, 2014 12:19 pm

nathat wrote:I think you need to put them in a gun safe …
I think this is a good idea.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue May 20, 2014 12:32 pm

nathat wrote:If you don't remember how you got a gun or why you're aiming it; I think you need to put them in a gun safe with a dial lock or give them to a family member for a time. That's not safe.
I absolutely agree with this and would go further by saying that you should at least until you sort this out do not leave a round in the chamber and/or the magazine out so that you have to put the mag in the well AND cock the pistol in addition opening the safe. Seriously this is dangerous.

Do you have a history of sleepwalking or other sleep irregularities? This may explain the waking.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Tue May 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Alcohol? Drugs? Prescription medication?
Ambien has a well-known tendency of causing some seriously disturbing sleep-activities. I was going to ask that as well.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue May 20, 2014 1:28 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Alcohol? Drugs? Prescription medication?
Ambien has a well-known tendency of causing some seriously disturbing sleep-activities. I was going to ask that as well.
Ambien was my first thought, or sleep deprivation/exhaustion combined with a medication or intoxicant.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Tue May 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Zimmy wrote:Did you look in the closet??
my thoughts as well. you may have waken by the slender man, or other shadow person. :ohdear:
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue May 20, 2014 4:54 pm

I used to find myself sleeping sitting up in bed and sweating while I was PTSDing pretty good.

I took all the guns out of the bedroom, unloaded them, separated them from ammo, and locked them up in another room. The chances of you actually needing that firearm for defense are slim to none, while the chances of you blasting something while asleep are a bit higher. Better safe than sorry, and you would feel like shit if that round winged someone next door.

I'd relocate the gun and go see a doctor. It sucks to not be able to trust yourself, and doctors can help.

Edit: it's been a few years, and I'm over it now (thanks to modern medicine)

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue May 20, 2014 4:57 pm

I keep mine in a Bulldog Vault that has an electronic combination that I can put in, even in the dark. When I pull it out, it is loaded but no bullet in the chamber: I have to rack the slide.

Longer than optimal, but no risk of accidental discharge... and by the time I do all of the above, I'm fully awake.

My dog can hopefully deal with any intruders in the five to ten seconds that takes.
-Neptune

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Tue May 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Barnabus wrote:
my thoughts as well. you may have waken by the slender man, or other shadow person. :ohdear:
In that case we should be encouraging the behavior. Dark eyed children could also be to blame.

I also wonder if the OP has any history to sleepwalking.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue May 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Apathy wrote: I also wonder if the OP has any history to sleepwalking.
This is the very reason I DO NOT have any firearms in my bedroom; I used to sleepwalk like mad. Seriously, I'd go to bed in my skivvies, and wake up wearing an inside out polo shirt and one sock, or taking a shower, or a piss, etc.

Hasn't happened in a few years, but it's enough to make me not want to take that chance.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Awoke with a gun in the hand? Check

Aware of why I had it? Also check.

If you are confused about why this is happening you need to do something about it. There is a reason they kick sleepwalkers out of the army if they catch them.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 am

I have the possibility of the same thing happening. I've had night terrors since infancy. I often wake up in full flight-or-fight mode with all the neurochemical fun that entails with NO idea why I'm on my feet and shouting at something. Because of the f-o-f response, my brain WILL find something to call a threat to justify my body's reaction. If you think we're more than meat doing math, experiences like this will convince you that our mind is just physics and chemistry.

Anyway, because of that, from day one, the gun has been locked inside a heavy box with a simplex lock on it that's placed away from the bed so I have to get up and move to it before I can even begin unlocking it. It's the Fort Knox Pistol Box or something like that. This is the only thing of this sort I'd recommend because:

1) Simplex locks require a little dexterity to open. You can't just slap your hand on the thing or turn a key and get it to open
2) Simplex locks require no batteries
3) Simplex locks cannot have electronic failures or failures to make a biometric ID match
4) Simplex locks WILL NOT lock you out for X minutes if you enter the code wrong Y times in a row

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:20 am

Barnabus wrote:

Is he sleeping with a gun in his hand??

veamon

Post by veamon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 am

You don't seem quite responsible enough to have a gun close at hand, if this happens normally.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:47 am

Where I was crashing for a spell I had to sleep with one of my firearms in the bed with me. Of course made sure nothing was chambered and it was on safe before going to sleep. Didn't want to accidentally unleash high velocity lead salad into me or my dog. There was a definite reason for having a fire arm that close, along with my baton, pepper spray, electrical zapping device, and knife so close while sleeping.

Land owner rented half the house out to meth heads not knowing they were meth heads. As with that drug they were all in full on bat shit mode all the time and never slept. Being a remote worker I was home all the time and helping the land owner clear the land when not doing my day job. I received many threats, was attacked several times and had the door to my room (it's own little oasis away from everything) kicked in a couple of times by the meth freaks looking for something to sell.

With that stated I put almost everything I owned into storage, including my gun safe with most of my guns. I kept two with me and they would go into the tool box in the back of one of my trucks, which ever I was using that day for errands, and locked. I left nothing there except a mattress, my chair and a folding table to work off of.

Thankfully once they realized that I'm armed legally, and a great shot from hunting and bringing back food for myself, they left me alone. Still with that threat I couldn't just be laying in wait for something stupid to happen to myself or dog.

Now I've moved on since fighting to get the meth heads out while the land owner ended up in jail was pointless. Now have myself a nice little rental house while I continue to search for the land I wish to purchase. No more drama, no more worries. Keep everything locked up except for one rifle that's in a walk in closet away from me and fully unloaded. There is a magazine next to it, but what's the point of keeping something in there if I have no threats anymore? By the time someone kicks in the door to this house my dog would have woke me up, then they'd have to go through at least three more doors to get to me. I'll be awake and ready by then.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am

veamon wrote:You don't seem quite responsible enough to have a gun close at hand, if this happens normally.

I think this is a bit harsh, as it appears to be involuntary.

However, continuing on this path (once you are aware of it) is likely dangerous and would be considered irresponsible.

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:57 am

Sounds scary man. I'd get that gun put away in something before you hurt someone. Having it as accessible as you do is definitely a danger.

Below is what I've done, I keep it unlocked at night and loaded without a round in the chamber. Simple to lock and keep safe when I'm not home.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384 ... UTF8&psc=1
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:34 am

dtwn92 wrote:Sounds scary man. I'd get that gun put away in something before you hurt someone. Having it as accessible as you do is definitely a danger.

Below is what I've done, I keep it unlocked at night and loaded without a round in the chamber. Simple to lock and keep safe when I'm not home.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384 ... UTF8&psc=1
I do the same - under the bed (still able to reach down and grab it, though) in a cracked open container with a magazine loaded, but no round chambered.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Return to “Survival Experiences”