Something's digging up my plants

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Elusive Despot

Something's digging up my plants

Post by Elusive Despot » Fri May 26, 2006 6:37 am

We have many plants on the deck. We had one bulb in a pot a while back that was dug up and taken. Recently, one of our potted Tomato plant's soil appeared to be dug up but the plant itself was unharmed. Before that our peas got dug up. All three times, the items were on the deck floor and not in a planter (not that it would probably make a difference anyway)

My neighborhood has cats, squirrels, racoons, skunks, etc. We live in the city so no bobcats or things of that nature. Does anybody have any idea as to what might be doing this?

Tomcat1066

Post by Tomcat1066 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:22 am

My first instinct is to say a cat, but I have no particular reason other than they can be fairly small, and they like to dig. I know, that's really a pathetic reason, but it's all I got!

Tom
And the general consensus of who I am?
Doctor Z. wrote: D. Tomcat ends up drinking some form of frothy, fermented, adult beverage from Lordrahl’s skull.
:twisted:
I like it :mrgreen:

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Fri May 26, 2006 9:08 am

My vote is for squirrels. Try sprinkling some black pepper around the base of the plant.
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri May 26, 2006 9:23 am

Cats love to dig up plants, often (not always) so they can shit in them.

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri May 26, 2006 9:47 am

my mom in STL has a problem with squirrls digging up her plants. she sits there on the back porch with a bb gun and takes them out.

If you have a webcam you may want to set up the software to record motion
a buddy of mine did that to keep his dog off the furnature because when the dog got on the couch when they were not home it would play a WAV of him yelling BAD DOG GET DOWN
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

¿

Post by ¿ » Fri May 26, 2006 11:04 am

squirrils always dig up my wifes flowers,they kind of burry them selves in the pots by wiggling around then run away.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Fri May 26, 2006 12:24 pm

My vote is for squirrels too. They have dug up my flowerpots and went after the garden as well.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

bountyhunter

Post by bountyhunter » Fri May 26, 2006 12:35 pm

My vote is for squirrels as well
When the shtf shoot first ask questions later then run like hell

ZS Fleet Vehicle #ZS 0034

I survived the Spring NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gathering!!

ThisNameTaken

Post by ThisNameTaken » Wed May 31, 2006 3:33 am

Sprinkle some pepper around them.
Or wait with a watergun and squirt them.(use water or lemon juice.

If you want them to stop permanently set some snares(though this might be illegal, i'm not sure.)
I'll live forever or die trying.
Brash wrote:Well thats the most offensive thing I've heard all day and I'm a fucking sailor.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed May 31, 2006 5:11 pm

thorian wrote: a buddy of mine did that to keep his dog off the furnature because when the dog got on the couch when they were not home it would play a WAV of him yelling BAD DOG GET DOWN
Genius. Pure genius.
I'm also on the squirrel opinion. If it was anything larger, like a woodchuck or skunk, it would have probably knocked the planters over.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Da Law

Post by Da Law » Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 pm

Thorian writes:
my mom in STL has a problem with squirrls digging up her plants. she sits there on the back porch with a bb gun and takes them out.
Har!!! Images of Bill Murray with a scoped rifle shooting at a furry varmit screaming "FREEZE GOPHER!!!!" come to mind.

The "varmit cong".....worse than zombies.

Seriously It would not surprise me it was cats or squirrels. I actually am leaning towards cats as I would imagine the squirrels would be making off with the veggies or at least taking bites out of them.
R.I.P. Gary Buro Patrol Unit 124 Chesterfield County Police Department.
End tour of duty 05/04/2006 0120 hrs.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 am

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ITS ZOMBIES! ZOMBIE GROUNDHOGS!

Yea, i think its prolly just a cat or a dog that one of your neibors lets run at night.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:27 am

Squirrels. The little bastards dug up my moms garden. Half the time they just dug up plants and didnt bother eating them, or only nibbled and scampered off. Oh, how I wish I had a bb gun.

I don't really have any advice as to what to do about them...it was a problem I never really could solve, although the deer solution seemed to work on them. (peed along the perimeter of the garden.) Kept the deer out for near two months, and squirrels were noticably more scarce.

Though don't take my word for it and go peeing in your garden. 8)
Lonestar wrote:Possum jerky beats inner cabium nutrition anytime.
El Maximo, zombie thwarter extrodinaire!

Elusive Despot

Post by Elusive Despot » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:27 am

Hmm... Zombie Groundhogs. You know, that would explain why everytime I go out on my deck I smell a dead animal. :shock:

I bet its cats. I have seen more and more cats in my neighborhood which appear to be strays. The Chinese Restaurant down the street must be slow... Just kidding.

This weekend I am going to put up a small fence around my plants to stop them. That should work. After about a week using the fence I will update the post and let you know how it worked.

stu_wat

Post by stu_wat » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:38 pm

I blame were wolves nah only joking Im going squirels buy a small arm and you can practice some survial cooking.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:56 pm

Buy you a nice big RAT TRAP and find out the FUN way ... :twisted:

Bott-Chi

Post by Bott-Chi » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:28 pm

It's probably the same little f*ckers that are stealing my pots too. These to twin puppy dogs from next door. Hey maybe I will get a BB gun and try that. I think a .357 might be a bit of overkill.
Good, Bad...I'm The Guy With The Gun...BANG!!

Ivan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Ivan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:47 pm

If its mice, puting some mint around the tomatos should keep them away. Im not sure if it works on squirrels, however.
If there's one thing I wouldn't want to be twice, zombies is both of them!
-Ed Wood, JR.

Clown Hunter D

Post by Clown Hunter D » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:49 pm

I'm voting for children. They have a habit of making their way into my garden and eating shit.
Saving the world from the clutches of... whatever.
Rus wrote:Is it just me, or is getting info on sniping from the NYT kinda like getting info on chastity from Paris Hilton?

paul

Post by paul » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:06 pm

I would agree on the squirrel thing. But if it is, i'm suprised you haven't noticed missing fruit as well. Or have you? When i've had squirrel problems in the past, they seem to enjoy the small, green, unripe tomatos.
I Survived Zombie Con 2005!!

Return to “Survival Experiences”