Getting old sucks.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sins

Getting old sucks.

Post by Sins » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:16 pm

So, with the stress of a home purchase and weight gain over the years I wound up in the hospital with 221/165 blood pressure.

I never would have known had I not had a nose bleed that wouldn't stop..scary thing is the doctor said it had to have been higher before the nose bleed.

I get out of the hospital and the doctor tests me for all sorts of stuff.

Good news is my thyroid is fucked. I mean...seriously fucked.
I suppose some people might not see that as good, but over the past six years, I have put on 120 pounds.
I am EXTREMELY active and I don't eat very much and certainly eat healthy.

So yeah... I'm giddy at the thought of finally understanding my weight gain.

Bad news.... I am a former smoker that quit about a year ago. They did an xray of my lungs and found densities. Sent me for a ct scan. Some were scaring, but not all. The ones that weren't were 7mm. Now I gotta go back in three months to make sure they don't grow.

I am hoping that the nodules are actually accumulation of diatomaceous earth that I accidentally inhaled a LOT of three days before the ct scan, but just in case I started taking hemp oil. (Supposed to be a natural cure for the C word)

Still, not too concerned, at least it will have been caught very early if it is what I hope it's not.

The purpose of this thread is to encourage everyone to seek a thorough medical exam. If you're like me, you feel tough and only go to the doctors when you need antibiotic medication.

DON'T... be like me

dallas

Re: Getting old sucks.

Post by dallas » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:46 pm

There is a lot of evidence that obesity causes hypothyroidism not the other way around. The main cause of obesity is excess calories especially in the form of high glycemic index carbs. Here is one study from back in 2008. I have seen patients who loss weight regain normal thyroid function.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/93 ... l.pdf+html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good thing it was a vessel in your nose that blew out instead of one in your head. Good luck on changing things around.

My dad is an ex-smoker and welder. He has had similar spots in his lungs for at least 30 years that have never changed. Have your vit D levels checked.

Sins

Post by Sins » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:06 pm

dallas wrote:There is a lot of evidence that obesity causes hypothyroidism not the other way around. The main cause of obesity is excess calories especially in the form of high glycemic index carbs. Here is one study from back in 2008. I have seen patients who loss weight regain normal thyroid function.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/93 ... l.pdf+html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good thing it was a vessel in your nose that blew out instead of one in your head. Good luck on changing things around.

My dad is an ex-smoker and welder. He has had similar spots in his lungs for at least 30 years that have never changed. Have your vit D levels checked.
I think my health was a time bomb.
Part of my thyroid might be obesity, but my caloric intake is 2000 a day. I walk about 5 miles a day. I run about 1 mile.

I been dealing with my doctor for about two months now, documenting my calories etc.

He seems to think I put my body into starvation mode and fucked myself.

For a while I was taking in about 1000 calories a day (mostly at night).
Also it probably didn't help that prior to the blood pressure thing I consumed six cans of Monster Ultra Energy drink a day. The zero calorie kind.
That's right SIX.

See, I work some days 7am-10pm with no break. The energy drinks got me through the day and I ate when I got home.

Work doesn't like it, but I cut back on the hours.
I also cut out all the caffine, and started having breakfast and lunch.

Don't want to turn this into a diet thread though. Good to hear about your father. I am honestly hoping mine are the same, just junk that sits there benign.

Edit:
Holy shit... just looked up vitamin D.
Never realized it affected so much.
I can guarantee my levels are low.
I don't eat eggs, fish, or drink milk.
And I surely don't get enough sun

My diet consists mostly of beans for protein.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:42 pm

I agree getting old sucks...the alternative though is worse.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:52 pm

raptor wrote:I agree getting old sucks...the alternative though is worse.
Amen.
I found my arms to short several years ago, and when it is only 'half light' outside, it gets a little tricky picking things out that don't contrast with the background.

I have also found that sitting on the ground if no longer fun. It seems to be getting farther away, and getting up isn't any better... :|

But this is still better than the alternative. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

ZombiePlace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead (1985), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by ZombiePlace » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:27 am

I hate that my teeth are falling apart, I can not eat as much as I could... and that I am turning into a parent I always swore I never would be :D
ZombiePlace

When in doubt; decapitate!

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 am

We used to have a guy that worked here (retired now) that used to say gettin' old ain't for pussies.

It's good that you've been made aware of your health issues, and it's never too late to start addressing them.

ZombiePlace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead (1985), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by ZombiePlace » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:11 am

Pondo_Sinatra wrote: and it's never too late to start addressing them.
My father is over 60

he already stopped smoking, drinking coffee and hard liquor

only food remains... and i doubt he can stop that too :(

so, although I do agree with you... there are lines that can't be crossed by EVERYONE :(
ZombiePlace

Sins

Post by Sins » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 am

Went to the doctor today.
Lost 13 pounds in a relatively short amount of time. Looks like vitamin D is what I have been lacking all this time.
Honestly that is all that has changed is increased D levels

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 am

Growing old is no joke. It takes my bod forever to repair even simple shit now, mister 2-3 hour martial arts workout is gone...

The vitamin D bit looks to be right on. Recently the doc told both the wife and myself to supplement. The wife had been complaining about aches and pains for the past 2 years or so and in the space of 2-3 weeks most of them have dissipated after adding the supplements to her diet. I need to get on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:17 am

ZombiePlace wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote: and it's never too late to start addressing them.
My father is over 60

he already stopped smoking, drinking coffee and hard liquor

only food remains... and i doubt he can stop that too :(

so, although I do agree with you... there are lines that can't be crossed by EVERYONE :(
My FIL is 75. He quit coffee and hard liquor in the 1970s. The beer and smokes may have actually increased over the years, it certainly is a daily event on the beer and and at least hourly on the smokes. For a man who should be near death all the time he is amazingly healthy. He has never "exercised" but is always active. It is different for everyone. Some grew up tough and are survivors. He is in great health.

His mother is 96. She still lives on her own and gardens every year. Some days I wonder if she should still be driving but she passes the test every year (her state discriminates against the elderly by requiring annual driving re-certification over a certain age) and needs to go to the store to shop and hit the yard sales on Saturdays (after dropping off the trash at the dump). If I even make it to 96 I will be amazed if I am doing half as well.

I will point out that both are thin to normal sized. Truth is fat people don't live as long, does not matter what made you fat. Take care of your health and teeth. You only get one shot at it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ZombiePlace

Post by ZombiePlace » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 am

true... slimmer people live longer

my grandmother is 92 and she is a stick :D
ZombiePlace

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:50 am

Better to be old & decrepit than to die young & healthy...... :clap:

dpurgert
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later.

Post by dpurgert » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:09 am

Mad Mike wrote:Better to be old & decrepit than to die young & healthy...... :clap:

dunno about that ... I'd rather be old and healthy than decrepit -- especially if my mind stays sharp... being trapped in your own body would be no fun...
Dawgboy: I knew a chick that carried a dog in her purse, everywhere... It was a tiny little Yorkie and it went literally everywhere with her...
cv66er: I prefer oatmeal bars. You don't need to waste time butchering, building a fire, etc.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am

dpurgert wrote:dunno about that ... I'd rather be old and healthy than decrepit -- especially if my mind stays sharp... being trapped in your own body would be no fun...
No shit there. My mom's body had long term issues (heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis) that kept her mostly bedridden for 15 years before she passed. Her mind was sharp to the end, she just wasn't able to do much. A great uncle was the other end - full on dementia and alzheimer's by 70, but he lived 10 more years. Healthy and vigorous, and couldn't recognize his own children. Caring for him almost killed my great aunt and cousins.

My hoped for model is my dad. He's 90, still able to get up and around, and still pretty sharp mentally. I'm trying to stay as fit as possible - there's a giant amount of research that says for men their amount of lean muscle mass in their 50's is the biggest indicator of good overall health into their 80's and 90's. We're all living longer these days and ending up like my great uncle scares the hell out of me.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

ZombiePlace

Post by ZombiePlace » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:32 am

lean muscle mass you say?

will keep that in mind at all times, thank you
ZombiePlace

dallas

Post by dallas » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Sins wrote:Went to the doctor today.
Lost 13 pounds in a relatively short amount of time. Looks like vitamin D is what I have been lacking all this time.
Honestly that is all that has changed is increased D levels
Great news.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm not what I'd call old...yet...but am certainly feeling all those injuries and breaks from my 20s and 30s. I started on a multivitamin regimen after my second spinal surgery last year to help w/the recovery and am trying to stick w/it. One side effect I noticed is that my tinnitus has dramatically improved as well...some studies indicate tinnitus is exacerbated by a B vitamin deficiency. I can't prove its efficacy one way or another but my alternating B vitamin/"men's health" multivitamin (every other day) has seemed to work for me.

Also just got my first actual prescription for glasses! :lol: After 27 years being able to see great (used to be 20/10 in both eyes), the last few years of staff work and staring at computer screens all damn day has finally caught up to me...busted my vision test during my flight physical a few weeks ago. Been "cheating" w/non-prescription readers for awhile now but have finally come to the realization that I need much longer arms...or glasses.

One final thought... Remember when you used to wake up and actually felt better than when you went to bed? :wink:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Are you taking regular vitamin D? Most of what I see on shelves is D3.

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:41 am

Research "alternative medicine" for whatever health aspect you encounter.

Reportedly, low calorie, high vitamin/nutrient content does lead to a longer, generally healthier life...

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 am

Wasted youth or a wise and productive old age?
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 pm

old sux.
For the first time after a gear shakedown hike, my knees hurt. I'm almost 40 now. I used to run those shakedowns, go out and party after, eat steak for breakfast with my vodka, do shots of tabasco, never got sick, never hurt, could eat at a buffet every day and not gain an ounce.

Gout kicked in at 35, and I had to totally change my diet. went from all meat to almost all carbs. I eat one meal a day and gain weight from it. have to drink three times the water I used to. no more drinking, ever, or my feet lock up. my joints are breaking down, my calf is swelling if I don't balance hydration just right, and no more spicy food.

I can still take any of the young punks that work for me in the warehouse, do their jobs better and faster.

CountryJim

Post by CountryJim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm

It's tough getting old in a young person's profession. I've been in law enforcement almost half of my life. My body started feeling the effects of the job a few years ago. I'm in good shape, but working out is really starting to hurt. I developed runner's knee, my left shoulder hurts after pushups (minor tear in 2007) and my back goes out on a regular basis. My new assignment has me sitting behind a desk most of the day, however I'm still on the SWAT team. The cool part about all my aches and pains are the memories and friends I've made acquiring the injuries over the years. I'm blessed to work in a profession that gives me a front row seat to the greatest show on earth.

Stay safe.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:46 pm

buck85 wrote:Wasted youth or a wise and productive old age?
Mmmmm, Meatloaf.

also, I'm probably overdue for a physical.
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

Return to “Survival Experiences”