Dealing With A Nutcase On The Road

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

Dealing With A Nutcase On The Road

Post by mantis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 pm

I had an interesting and somewhat scary experience on the road the other day. It ended well and I believe that I acted rationally and appropriately but I would like to hear what others have to say - in particular any LEOs here or others who have had similar experiences.

I was driving south on Highway 24 into Brantford - the city in which I live. I was outside of the city and under the jurisdiction of the Ontario Provincial Police who provide police services to most of rural Ontario. The speed limit is 80 km/h, however, the usual flow of traffic is around 90km/h. As I was heading south, this moron in a newer looking Hundai Elantra came FLYING up behind me. He must have been doing more than 150 km/h. He pulled right onto my bumper and began to honk his horn and flash his lights. He even tried to pull over and pass illegally several times but could not manage it because of the oncoming traffic. Realizing that this guy was an accident waiting to happen, I called the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) on my OnStar system and told them what was happening. They took my info and told me to try to let him pass at the first opportunity and to try to get his plate number...I pulled into a right turn lane and grabbed my Android Phone to use the camera to take a photo of the driver and his car. As he pulled alongside me, he tried to ram me off the road! I swerved onto the shoulder and hit the brakes as he passed me and then I swerved back onto to road behind him and I managed to get a good shot of his rear plates. He gunned it and took off again as I called the OPP – who had cruisers converging on the area from my earlier call and gave them the plate info and told the what he had done.
About 5 minutes later as I entered the city of Brantford, I saw him again in front of me – caught in city traffic. As I approached, I ended up directly behind him. He suddenly slammed on his brakes and came to a dead stop. I hammed my brakes and managed to stop without hitting him. Next thing he throws open his door and gets out. I am already dialing 911 at this point but as luck would have it, the OPP had just arrived on the scene and two officers had witnessed hi m slamming on his brakes.

The officers took him into custody and charged him with the criminal code offences of Impaired Driving, Dangerous Driving and a Highway and Traffic Act offence which I can’t recall but it was but it was something about obstructing traffic. He would have also been charged with stunt driving for the excessive speed had an officer witnessed it and clocked him. I will more than likely be called as a witness to appear in court against him unless he mans up and pleads guilty.

Any comments or criticism of how I handled the situation? Has anyone else ever encountered a similar scenario? The funny thing was that I didn’t feel nervous or scared until after it was all over! Adrenaline must have been keeping me going during the incident and I didn’t really sense the danger of the situation until the guy was in cuffs and I was talking to the police.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: Dealing With A Nutcase On The Road

Post by Caenus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:55 pm

The only thing I would have done differently is stay a good and I mean good distance behind him when I saw him ahead of me. Like...4x's normal following distance.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Aggressive drivers can be quite the public danger. Glad this guy got caught before he hurt anyone. I wouldn't expect him to 'man up' and plead guilty, he most likely doesn't think he did anything 'wrong.' Plan on having to make a thorough and complete recounting of the incident in court.
Caenus wrote:The only thing I would have done differently is stay a good and I mean good distance behind him when I saw him ahead of me. Like...4x's normal following distance.
This would be good sense, I think.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Would have been nice to have one of those car cameras that are so popular in Russia right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-l4w-DIiXk

:ooh:
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:59 pm

You survived and a bad guy is getting some well deserved punishment. Good work!

Did you get any background information or learn a motivation for the lunacy?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:25 am

Dabster wrote:You survived and a bad guy is getting some well deserved punishment. Good work!

Did you get any background information or learn a motivation for the lunacy?
Nothing at all other than he was drunk and belligerent.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

mantis

RepoMan73 wrote:Would have been nice to have one of those car cameras that are so popular in Russia right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-l4w-DIiXk

:ooh:
No kidding that would have been nice to have.

mantis

Caenus wrote:The only thing I would have done differently is stay a good and I mean good distance behind him when I saw him ahead of me. Like...4x's normal following distance.
Good point.

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:27 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:Aggressive drivers can be quite the public danger. Glad this guy got caught before he hurt anyone. I wouldn't expect him to 'man up' and plead guilty, he most likely doesn't think he did anything 'wrong.' Plan on having to make a thorough and complete recounting of the incident in court.
This would be good sense, I think.
I figured that's the way it would go so I made sure to write down detailed notes about everything I saw. It could be months before he goes to trial and I want to be able to refresh my memory when the time comes. I also gave a complete statement to the officers involved.

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 am

you can run into road rage situations everywhere and at anytime .... what's totally unsettling is the percentage of incidents where guns become involved .... these idiots are just shooting up the place .... no wayyyyyyyy in h@ll do I even beep my horn any longer when I'm in the city .... it's that bad anymore ....
Illini Warrior

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am

I recently had a very similar experience, but it ended up with a wrecked car (not mine thankfully), and it took ages for LEO to arrive on scene (36 minutes). Road Ragers make me wish I had a flamethrower mounted to my vehicle, or maybe some 007 rocket launchers.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

litegod

Post by litegod » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

Not too much different you could have done initially. Like the others have said you could leave a little more room when you found out he was in front of you, but I know how that works, sometimes you do not relaize it is that person until you are actually looking at them through the rear window of their vehicle.

People that are that committed to high rates of speed just need to have you move out of their way, then they are gone, you tried to move , he could not get by, that made him feel like you "disrespected" him. He was obviously intoxicated on some type of substance or another.

When you came up behind him in the stopped traffic that gave him time to boil up in a rage over you "disrespecting" him, he now is semi-paranoid and thinks you are out to get him. These are very childish and immature behaviours behind the wheel of a vehicle. Much the same type of behaviour that gets him behind the wheel of a vehicle in that state of intoxication already.

Make sure you start a habit of leaving extra room in front of your vehicle when stopping, not just in road rage incidences but also for icy roads, so if somebody behind you hits you it does not cause a chain reaction throughout the entire row of stopped cars.

By having the extra room you allow yourself an avenue of escape, and if needed, enough room to hit him to keep him away if he has a weapon, if that ever is the case, do not hesitate, it might be your only chance.

Personal experience, I have been involved in road rage on both sides of the coin,Most of the times it could have been de-escalated by my driving away, taking the next right and leaving or just breathing and relaxing and slowing down a little. It did not turn out very good a couple of times.We are all susceptible to it, period.

I now teach self defence for these types of incidence, street level attacks mostly but they still all apply the same way.I know the mechanics behind the attack,the pyschology behind the attack, how to stop it and I still feel ready to "go for it" once in awhile,under the right circumstances.I can understand how folks that do not "get it",possibly lower intelligence, possibly under the influence, and do not care about the problems their actions cause could be easily influenced by their primal emotions. Which is actually all it really is.

Myself, I like to go a little fast,not stupid fast like this fellow, only when safe though, not in construction zones or school zones, heavy traffic , bad conditions etc.

I am trained in vehicular physics and evasive maneuvers, defensive driving. You could not believe how many folks hang around in the fast lane of traffic on the freeway and slow down even more when I come up behind them. eg, road speed set at 100kph, I am going 120, they are going 95kph(which is dangerous in that lane regardless) then they slow down to 90 or 85 just to show me who is "the boss", then upon trying to pass them in the right lane. They speed up then try to block me out, funny how they are making a small speeding infraction into an attempted vehicluar assault now. If they would have just conceeded and pulled over and allowed me to pass(which is the law btw,"failing to yield to faster traffic") then I would be out of the way and gone, they could go about their little sheep lives.

It really is funny how there is so much pychology behind simple things, in this case, all it is , is submissiveness.How dare anybody else try to get ahead of them.

anyways, good luck with the case, hopefully this guy realizes how bad it could have turned out.Likely he will repeat the process over and over again because thats his mindset. He was the real victim in this incident. :roll:

litegod

Post by litegod » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:57 am

Oh yeah, my horn stopped working awhile ago on my jeep, do not miss it.

My vehicle is equipped with a dash cam, have caught a few stupid things on it, including an almost fatal encounter with me, black ice and a double trailer semi truck. hmmm......no I was not going fast , just merging onto the freeway.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:42 pm

ZombieGranny wrote: You zoom up behind me speeding 20 miles above the limit in the fast lane, you BET I'm slowing down if I can't get over.
If you're going to hit my car, at least I'll be hit slower and have a chance not to die.
Oh, now you've swerved into the right lane because I'm not moving over fast enough for you and almost hit me again...
and you think YOU are in the right ?

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN IF YOU RACE FORMULA 1 FOR A LIVING -
SPEED LIMITS ARE FOR EVERYONE -
OBEY THEM OR DON'T DRIVE
Since he's in Canada instead of the US it's Km/h instead MPH but the point is valid. Exceeding the speed limit is exceeding the speed limit and very certainly a case of two wrongs don't make a right.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

litegod wrote:Not too much different you could have done initially. Like the others have said you could leave a little more room when you found out he was in front of you, but I know how that works, sometimes you do not relaize it is that person until you are actually looking at them through the rear window of their vehicle.

People that are that committed to high rates of speed just need to have you move out of their way, then they are gone, you tried to move , he could not get by, that made him feel like you "disrespected" him. He was obviously intoxicated on some type of substance or another.

When you came up behind him in the stopped traffic that gave him time to boil up in a rage over you "disrespecting" him, he now is semi-paranoid and thinks you are out to get him. These are very childish and immature behaviours behind the wheel of a vehicle. Much the same type of behaviour that gets him behind the wheel of a vehicle in that state of intoxication already.

Make sure you start a habit of leaving extra room in front of your vehicle when stopping, not just in road rage incidences but also for icy roads, so if somebody behind you hits you it does not cause a chain reaction throughout the entire row of stopped cars.

By having the extra room you allow yourself an avenue of escape, and if needed, enough room to hit him to keep him away if he has a weapon, if that ever is the case, do not hesitate, it might be your only chance.

Personal experience, I have been involved in road rage on both sides of the coin,Most of the times it could have been de-escalated by my driving away, taking the next right and leaving or just breathing and relaxing and slowing down a little. It did not turn out very good a couple of times.We are all susceptible to it, period.

I now teach self defence for these types of incidence, street level attacks mostly but they still all apply the same way.I know the mechanics behind the attack,the pyschology behind the attack, how to stop it and I still feel ready to "go for it" once in awhile,under the right circumstances.I can understand how folks that do not "get it",possibly lower intelligence, possibly under the influence, and do not care about the problems their actions cause could be easily influenced by their primal emotions. Which is actually all it really is.

Myself, I like to go a little fast,not stupid fast like this fellow, only when safe though, not in construction zones or school zones, heavy traffic , bad conditions etc.

I am trained in vehicular physics and evasive maneuvers, defensive driving. You could not believe how many folks hang around in the fast lane of traffic on the freeway and slow down even more when I come up behind them. eg, road speed set at 100kph, I am going 120, they are going 95kph(which is dangerous in that lane regardless) then they slow down to 90 or 85 just to show me who is "the boss", then upon trying to pass them in the right lane. They speed up then try to block me out, funny how they are making a small speeding infraction into an attempted vehicluar assault now. If they would have just conceeded and pulled over and allowed me to pass(which is the law btw,"failing to yield to faster traffic") then I would be out of the way and gone, they could go about their little sheep lives.

It really is funny how there is so much pychology behind simple things, in this case, all it is , is submissiveness.How dare anybody else try to get ahead of them.

anyways, good luck with the case, hopefully this guy realizes how bad it could have turned out.Likely he will repeat the process over and over again because thats his mindset. He was the real victim in this incident. :roll:
You shouldn't be allowed to drive, much less teaching others how to do so.

Failing to yield has nothing whatsoever to do with getting out of the way of an idiot, the idiot in this case being you.

P.S. read the rules about referring to people as sheep.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Glad things turned out the way they did. This situation could have turned out a lot worse than it did. Thanks to you, an accident was prevented.

Thanks for sharing.

litegod

Post by litegod » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm

I apologize for calling them sheep, I forgot that part of the rules. I do take exception to being called an idiot though. That was kind of harsh, and seems to be a little hateful.

Sometimes going 120kph on this freeway is hardly keeping up to traffic. Ever Driven in Los Angeles? I have,several times, I liked it better than driving here.

I do not teach driving, I do not have the patience for that long. sorry.

I was using that scenario as an example. I will use a more typical situation, I drive along at 105-110 kph(typical speed on that freeway is 110kph,speed limit is 100kph)), pass some cars doing 100kph exactly, they are doing a good job at obeying the speed limit, they are in the right hand lane, proper lane and everything,complete kudos to them.

As I drive along I come up behind somebody doing 90kph in the left (fast) lane, at this point they are by law supposed to move out of the way, as the law here is the left lane is for faster traffic, lots of signs on the highways that state this. This is opposed to some areas that state, stay right except to pass. We pass a string of cars, now there is tons of room to pull over, they fail to pull over. I am now down to 85kph since they are being passive/aggressive,(and myself giving lots of room) I then change lanes and accelerate, and attempt to pass in the right hand lane which is a no-no but I really do not feel like going 15 kph under the speed limit for the next 6-10 miles. As I attempt to pass they see me and accelerate as well, by the time I can pass we are doing well above 120 kph. What happens if I slow down to let them pull ahead and cool off? they slow down and thus slow me down again. This cycle can and has repeated itself over the next several miles. Quite a douchebag controlling move really.

that is the more typical scenario that occurrs all too often here. since in alberta nobody wants to be a submissive person, everybody believes they have the right to be ahead of everybody else at any cost.

By the way, I do not drive some souped up mustang or ricer , even a full size ford truck with twin turbos throwing smoke out the exhaust and 10 inch lift and 14 lights on the front, I drive a 20 year old jeep with a mild lift and slightly oversize tires. It is not meant or built for fast swerving or instant acceleration, it is meant for mild off roading and dependable daily driving.

I have been through enough crap in my life most of the time things do not bother me, I do not get adrenalized very easy, and I do my very best to control my primate brain and feel no need to compete with people on a daily basis.

Now that I have had my say, we can get back to the topic. Thanks.

williaty

Post by williaty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 pm

litegod wrote:As I drive along I come up behind somebody doing 90kph in the left (fast) lane
It is worth noting that, in the US at least, the left lane is NOT the "fast lane". It is legally defined as the passing lane. More importantly, it is not universally illegal to use this lane for long-term travel. Some states mandate that you stay in a lower lane except to pass. Some states treat is solely as a matter of courtesy.
Quite a douchebag controlling move really.
And what you're saying is that you can use the same justification he does in order to out-douchebag him without feeling bad about yourself.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm

The best I've done when dealing with a guy that was all over me, pulling up behind me going fast, pulling in front of me hitting his brakes, etc. was to point to the next exit like I was pissed. When he passed me headed toward it with me behind him hauling ass to keep up appearances, I pulled back on to the freeway. I have no idea what pissed that guy off though; it certainly wasn't me for a change.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

litegod

Post by litegod » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:26 am

And what you're saying is that you can use the same justification he does in order to out-douchebag him without feeling bad about yourself.
not sure what you are trying to say but....no I am not being a douchebag, I simply want to go about my way. that is all.I cannot feel bad about that.

if they want to go slow on the freeway they can, they should be in the proper lane but hey, I can drive around them and go about my way. Then what should I do when they accelerate so I cannot pass them? Should I keep going at a rate substantially lower than the posted speed limit?

what would be the complete non-douchebag thing to do? would you go 45 mph in a 55 mph zone just to keep the peace? how far would you keep that up for? I have seen folks go 70 kph on the freeway(100kph posted speed),would you keep your travel down to that speed for the next 30-40 miles? I doubt you would.
It is worth noting that, in the US at least, the left lane is NOT the "fast lane". It is legally defined as the passing lane. More importantly, it is not universally illegal to use this lane for long-term travel. Some states mandate that you stay in a lower lane except to pass. Some states treat is solely as a matter of courtesy.
Yeah, I know about that, thats why I made note of that as well. I doubt most of these people have driven in the states.

litegod

Post by litegod » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 am

I just found this article from a trusted news source. this would explain things much better than I can.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-driv ... ice=mobile

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 am

Tailgating someone is just as stupid as slowing down to punish them. You know what causes most accidents? Vehicles traveling faster or slower than the flow of traffic. Assholes who slow down to "punish" another driver are IMO just as likely to cause an accident or set off a road rage incident and GET SOMEONE KILLED because they wanted to be a road nanny as the person who was driving fast.

Just my two cents, but if you want to control how people drive, become a traffic cop or teach driving school. Otherwise kindly fuck off and do the least harm possible.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Survival Experiences”