Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:12 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:19 pm
From a DIY ration pack I put together 1/1/16:

Trader Joe's Jaipur Vegetables (think: Tasty Bite retort-packaged Indian entree): Best by date: 1/31/18, so 3+ years out of date: delicious, as was the instant rice I served with them.

2.6 oz retort pouch of Skip Jack Tuna (private label, but basically those Bumble Bee/Chicken of the Sea tuna pouches): Best by date: 9/10/16, so 4.5 years out of date: absolutely fine.

I can't say the same for the 6" flour tortillas from an El Paso dinner kit (in an unopened cellophane pouch): 9/14/17 Best by date. They were still technically edible, but far from appetizing. After satisfying myself they wouldn't kill me had I eaten them all, I pitched them. Because I am not, in fact, in a survival situation.

Conclusion: DIY ration kits are very doable as a legitimate prep, but if they contain starch products like tortillas, you need to rotate them out every three years, four tops.

Bonus insight: snack boxes of raisins, even if vacuum sealed: no. Don't go there. DAMHIKT.
Have you tried moving the tortillas from the original packaging into a vacuum sealed Mylar bag? I haven't tried that yet but that's next. I am trying to figure out how to keep that sort of stuff tasting 'normal'. I've not had success with Ramen and home made hardtack, and plain pasta using tins and tupperware and standard vacuum bags. They all seem to taste like pantry or plastic after a few years.

OT: I forgot to post this one. So we've had two jars of chicken and beef broth cubes for years, I'm going to guess 6+. My wife was making a special dinner a couple of months ago and didn't have any boxed beef broth like she usually uses so she used the cubes. She started a pot simmering on the stove with the broth from the cubes and some other added herbs. I walk thru the kitchen and immediately sensed something was wrong. :shock: I then saw the old jar of cubes on the counter. I smelled the simmering broth, then I stuck my nose right in the cube's jar and took a big sniff. :gonk: Totally rancid. Gag reflex. Hard to describe the smell but I'd say I immediately thought of what it would be like being locked in a tomb with a hundred mummified cows. That jar had had the vacuum seal opened years ago, so I decided to test the chicken jar which was never opened. Opened the vacuum seal and it was worse. Everything got tossed before eating. I wonder why my wife didn't notice that the smell was off, and also what would have happened if I hadn't walked thru the kitchen at that moment.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:12 am
OT: I forgot to post this one. So we've had two jars of chicken and beef broth cubes for years, I'm going to guess 6+. My wife was making a special dinner a couple of months ago and didn't have any boxed beef broth like she usually uses so she used the cubes. She started a pot simmering on the stove with the broth from the cubes and some other added herbs. I walk thru the kitchen and immediately sensed something was wrong. :shock: I then saw the old jar of cubes on the counter. I smelled the simmering broth, then I stuck my nose right in the cube's jar and took a big sniff. :gonk: Totally rancid. Gag reflex. Hard to describe the smell but I'd say I immediately thought of what it would be like being locked in a tomb with a hundred mummified cows. That jar had had the vacuum seal opened years ago, so I decided to test the chicken jar which was never opened. Opened the vacuum seal and it was worse. Everything got tossed before eating. I wonder why my wife didn't notice that the smell was off, and also what would have happened if I hadn't walked thru the kitchen at that moment.
Hmmm... Are beef broth cubes and beef bouillon cubes different? I have two jars of bouillion cubes purchased from Costco at least a decade ago (just checked and the beef one doesn't have a date on it but the chicken one says 14 Nov 08) and both seem perfectly fine if a little hard. I use the beef ones in my beef stew and the chicken ones when I make chicken soup (rarely) and they do take quite a while to fully dissolve but do eventually.

I do note that they are fat-free (as are the bulk gravy mixes I also stock in my preps) so I never worried about them before this.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am
Hmmm... Are beef broth cubes and beef bouillon cubes different?

I do note that they are fat-free (as are the bulk gravy mixes I also stock in my preps) so I never worried about them before this.
It has to be the fat thing, that was a rancid type smell.

I said beef broth cubes meaning bullion. Same thing depending on where you're from I guess.
Wiki wrote:A bouillon cube /ˈbuːjɒn/ (Canada and US) or stock cube (Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and UK), broth cube (Philippines) or stock pot (UK) is dehydrated broth or stock formed into a small cube about 13 mm (1⁄2 in) wide. It is typically made from dehydrated vegetables, meat stock, a small portion of fat, MSG, salt, and seasonings, shaped into a small cube. Vegetarian and vegan types are also made. Bouillon is also available in granular, powdered, or liquid form.
this is the brand. Very far past its listed 'best use by date'.

Cursory research finds that a small amount of fats is added in most brands. Maybe the vegetarian versions are fat free. I'd definitely look into no fat for long term storage.

See if your cat likes them, maybe your smeller is off NT.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:47 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am

Sounds like a good plan.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:47 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am

Sounds like a good plan.
In the book "And the Sea Will Tell" by Vincent Bugliosi, right after "Buck" and "Jennifer" arrive at Palmyra, another boater there relates this story to them as a warning about the fish in the lagoon.

..."We had a cat with us on a trip here some years back. We'd feed her a piece of fish and then watch to see if she threw up. If she kept it down, we figured it was all right."
Jennifer was appalled by this apparent insensitivity. "Weren't you worried about killing the cat?"
"Naw. Cats are different. If people and dogs eat something that's poisonous, they can get real sick, even die. A cat will just puke."

Given the warnings each year about various poisonous plants that could kill your cat, I'm not sure that what he says in the quote is actually true. But it did stick in my mind from when I read the book some 20 years ago and I thought I'd share! (I pulled up the text online for the above quote)

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 am

I have this "brick" of vacuum-packed Cafe Bustelo sitting on my counter next to my coffee maker. It's sitting there waiting to refill the airtight container of espresso grind coffee I have for my espresso maker. I haven't been making a lot of espresso these days because I'm making a pot of regular coffee every morning and I limit my coffee intake. It's been sitting there a while now. Since 2015 in fact. The "Best By" date on it is Aug 2016. It's still sealed. Still hard as a brick. I guess it's still good. Maybe I'll find out one day.

Current Weather in My AO

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sun May 02, 2021 1:11 pm

1/3 leftover 9 ray old chipotle burrito. We shall see.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:11 pm
1/3 leftover 9 ray old chipotle burrito. We shall see.
You are brave, Sir.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon May 03, 2021 7:21 am

No I'll effects.

Return to “Survival Experiences”