Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Klaus Tritium

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:33 am

The only time I ever lit one, at a party back in probably in 1980, the resultant huge fire ball and whumpf had me slapping my pants, couch and curtains, making sure that nothing was still burning. It looked like I had a molotov cocktail burst between my legs. I am guessing C2H2. You should have seen the size of the spectators' eyeballs. I never had the guts to try that again.
Undercooked brats bring out the wurst in people.

Quando omni flunkus moritati - Red Green

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:51 am

Klaus Tritium wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:33 am
The only time I ever lit one, at a party back in probably in 1980, the resultant huge fire ball and whumpf had me slapping my pants, couch and curtains, making sure that nothing was still burning. It looked like I had a molotov cocktail burst between my legs. I am guessing C2H2. You should have seen the size of the spectators' eyeballs. I never had the guts to try that again.
What gas is produced is going to depend on the diet and the gut flora though. Given this was almost pure carbs I'm thinking it simply fermented.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:18 am

Looking at the wikipedia entry on fermentation, hydrogen can also be flatulated, interestingly by one of my namesakes, Clostridium pasteurianum. I've ignited lots of different gasses, but my giant orange fireball that was bigger than myself looked a lot more like acetylene than hydrogen. It was like, "Oh, the humanity".

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 am

Klaus Tritium wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:18 am
Looking at the wikipedia entry on fermentation, hydrogen can also be flatulated, interestingly by one of my namesakes, Clostridium pasteurianum. I've ignited lots of different gasses, but my giant orange fireball that was bigger than myself looked a lot more like acetylene than hydrogen. It was like, "Oh, the humanity".
So, what you're saying is that we need a "Fart Spectrometer"? :awesome:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:40 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 am
Klaus Tritium wrote:
A flatulometer, I like it.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:17 pm

HarlequinHal wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:40 am
NT2C wrote:
Klaus Tritium wrote:
A flatulometer, I like it.
I'm dying over here. This has to be one of the best threads on the site right now.

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 pm

NT2C wrote:
Klaus Tritium wrote:
Careful boys. Experiment too diligently and you'll end up needing a mess spectrometer.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:57 pm

Klaus Tritium wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 pm
NT2C wrote:
Klaus Tritium wrote:
Careful boys. Experiment too diligently and you'll end up needing a mess spectrometer.
Are you trying to poo-poo our idea?

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:16 pm

I canned some hamburger and chicken, and one jar of each didn't take so I put it in the fridge for imminent use. Both per FDA recs: chicken was cut into ~1 inch chunks and raw-packed; hamburger was cooked, drained, and hot-packed.

The chicken was fine. One can didn't seal, so I used it a couple days later for chicken fried rice; texture was a bit odd, but nothing remarkable.

Similarly, one can of hamburger didn't seal, so I used it a couple days after the chicken for taco meat. Then spent the next 12 or so hours within immediate dashing distance of the toilet. Never actually felt ill (in fact, other than discarding the suspect taco meat I ate like normal). I think I'm going to just toss the other two jars, and not bother trying to can ground meat. Or, if I do again, it'll be much fresher; like deer straight from the processor; but even then I think I'll just go with chunks instead of ground.

Despite my concerns with the hamburger, the chili I canned a few months back seems fine. Perhaps it's the rather large amount of salt and that it was basically cooked three times (meat was browned and drained, then immediately simmered at just under 200F for about 1-3/4 hours while the chili cooked, then hot-packed and pressure canned).

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm

I knew I'd posted on this before ...
sheddi wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm
Back in 2002 a friend's plum tree went into overdrive. He had a veritable plum glut. So, not wanting to let them go to waste, as well as eating plums at every opportunity I made plum jam. A metric shitton* of plum jam.

And I'm still eating it now, ten years later. It's slightly less purple than it was when it was fresh, but it's fine.

* OK, it was more like forty pounds, roughly the same weight as my six-year-old daughter. That's still a lot of jam when you're the only plum jam eater in the household.
Last month I opened the last jar of 2002-vintage plum jam. Still good.

My youngest child is a bit bigger than they were in 2012, mind.

Sheddi's 20-year plum jam recipe:

Ingredients (adjust quantities to suit but keep proportions):
20lbs of plums
20lbs of sugar

Cut the plums open and remove stones (plus any little worms you spot). Peel if you're fussy. Put the plums (and any worms you missed) in a big pan with a tiny bit of water, on a low heat and bring to the boil. The plums will give up a good amount of liquid during this process. Add the sugar, stir in until it dissolves and keep simmer for 30 minutes. Can/bottle/jar, cool, store, have first child, move house, have second child, wait until both are teens and enjoy throughout.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Johan

Post by Johan » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:00 pm

80gram bag of salted, roasted Sunflowerseeds.
Expiration date 17/02-2019
Bag had a semi vacuum packed feel to it, kind of like when you squeeze the air out of a ziplock bag, which I don't remember from when I bought it.

-A bit Rancid smell and taste, but not enough to stop me from eating them.. (i had a crawing for somethin salty)

No ill effects an hour later, and I am not expecting any..

-I am curious if the Slightly vacuum packed feel of the bag might be an effect of oxygen being used up when it went rancid..
What sayeth the Hive mind???
Firepower...
-Is One Bullet that Hits!

Laager

Post by Laager » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:30 pm

Balut is a Filipino term for a fertilized developing egg embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in China and other Southeast Asian countries.

Lets just say that I stayed in the latrine for a long time.

“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:03 pm

Laager wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:30 pm
Balut is a Filipino term for a fertilized developing egg embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in China and other Southeast Asian countries.

Yeah, that's a big "Hell No" from me. :gonk:

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 am

Fitz and I were coming back to the base (we had to be in the gate nlt midnight, Cinderella Liberty), we had been drinking since 5.00pm and we found a street cart vendor selling what I thought were hard boiled eggs. We order two dozen and kept heading towards the base.

Lil laughs at me, I still view any hard boiled egg suspiciously.

They call Balut, the egg with legs.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:03 pm
Laager wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:30 pm

Yeah, that's a big "Hell No" from me. :gonk:
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 am

Speaking of hard boiled eggs, some of the gas stations in my AO have started selling little two packs of them in the refrigerated section. Every time I see them, I think to myself that if it's anything that's going to cause the zombie apocalypse, it'll be those things.

Well, them or the tuna salad sandwiches they sell there.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:02 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 am
Speaking of hard boiled eggs, some of the gas stations in my AO have started selling little two packs of them in the refrigerated section. Every time I see them, I think to myself that if it's anything that's going to cause the zombie apocalypse, it'll be those things.

I've had those and they aren't bad. I can get them up here in bags of 4 and they're already peeled. That alone makes them worth it to me. They also sell them by the dozen and half dozen, in the shell, in cartons in the dairy section of my supermarket.

Current Weather in My AO

lurkshere

Post by lurkshere » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 am

Do you get Scotch eggs over there?

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:20 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Same here.........sadly my wife and her cousins love those, as well as the greatly suspect tuna/chicken sandwiches. So much for Military Public Health and CBRNE....

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:19 pm

Laager wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:20 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Same here.........sadly my wife and her cousins love those, as well as the greatly suspect tuna/chicken sandwiches. So much for Military Public Health and CBRNE....
I suppose those sandwiches and the eggs are less likely to cause the ZPAW than gas station sushi. I avoid sushi to begin with even at the local sushi joints, so I'm definitely staying away from the gas station stuff.

That's like playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto pistol. It's just going to end badly no matter how you look at it.

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:26 pm

lurkshere wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 am

I make Scotch Eggs over here. No one has died from them yet.

lurkshere

Post by lurkshere » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 am

cv66er wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:26 pm
lurkshere wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 am

I make Scotch Eggs over here. No one has died from them yet.
I love them. Cold with a salad or 30 seconds in the microwave for an "in a rush" breakfast. Sausage and egg in one package.

Return to “Survival Experiences”