My pistol blew up today - pics added

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Garand69
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: My pistol blew up today - pics added

Post by Garand69 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:37 am

RoneKiln wrote:Don't think so. I still have all four bullets that failed to fire, and I sure hope I would notice the difference in recoil if there was not enough charge for the bullet to leave the barrel.
Noticing a light squib (ie; primer only) after firing a full power round is not as obvious as it sounds. Most will think it was a misfire.

,BUT with a semi-auto I would think most would notice the empty case when they clear the firearm. Revolvers on the other hand... most people just keep pulling the trigger and they would end up with a kablooie
G69

"skillsets and mindsets don't come in a sealed can."

"Who Controls the Past, Controls the Future: Who Controls the Present, Controls the Past"
-George Orwell, 1984

dallas

Post by dallas » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 pm

That is not an uncommon problem with Glocks. They have an unsupported case. When the pistols is used a lot, the head space increases and KaaBOoom. A flaw in the barrel cause it to split.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:26 am

Those pics certainly look comparable to what happened to me. You're the first I have ever heard say it's not uncommon with Glocks though. I will do some more research. Thanks for the tip on the unsupported case. That should make a big difference in my searches.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:56 am

I've heard about it happening with .40s in every brand, more so with Glock 22/23s but that could just be because of the larger population of .40 caliber Glocks in service.

I wonder if there's any solid data on the frequency of non-user-error kabooms?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Wow, glad to hear your ok, and sorry to hear about your 2. I shoot a 40 caliber Glock also (G27).

My first thought when you mentioned that you had several failures to fire preceding this also made me think about a squib round. I am not sure if a squib that leaves the bullet stuck in the barrel would be strong enough to cycle the gun and load another round.

Let me tell you my squid story though and then give you something to thing about.

Several years ago I bought an AK-47. I managed to site it in partially at my mothers property but lacked a 100 yard range to really verify sight in. I took the gun to my Dad's deer hunting property to verify the sights. I was shooting 5 round groups, then walking to the target to check POI adjusting and repeating. I was pretty much setup and wanted to shoot one last group of 5 to verify. I loaded 5 rounds and shot the first two, the third trigger resulting in nothing. I assumed it was a dud. I ejected the casing which landed in tall weeds. I noticed the chamber looked full of crud, but proceeded to load another few rounds in the mag. I reinserted the mag, then that little voice in my head said you should check the gun closer. Sure enough when I took the mag back out the last bullet fired was stuck one inch down the barrel. Had I pulled the trigger on that next shot I would have blown the gun up, and been stranded in the woods, quite possible injured and alone. I never heard the pop of the primer because I was wearing hearing protection but the crud in the barrel was the unburned powder. The primer alone was powerful enough to drive bullet down the barrel.
Lesson learned, when it comes to guns, treat every unexpected result as a dangerous incident.

Now on to my "something to think about."
I am not trying to berate you, or second guess your story, but lets play what if,

What if for some reason, either machine or personal, there was an issue with the assembly line that this ammo was being produced on, and sometimes the ammo was under or over charged, perhaps the charge of powder failed to go into the case, but a double charge went into the next case. Or perhaps the primer machine was having problems dispensing the correct amount or primer, sometimes adding none, then adding a little.

What if, after having several rounds fail to fire, you sort of started to get used to the event, so that when a round failed your natural reaction was to rack the slide to clear the round and continue shooting. The first several times this happened the rounds did indeed not fire at all, then the round before the explosion, what if you had a primer go off with enough force to drive the bullet out of the case and into the barrel. What if the next round did indeed fire into the stuck bullet causing the gun to explode.

You said yourself you were in shock and taking by surprise by it. Perhaps in the moment you failed to realize that the preceding round had been a dud also. I'm just thinking out loud here, so please don't take any offence.

Watch Ryder
Favorite Zombie Movies: DoD
LoD
They Live

Post by Watch Ryder » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:22 pm

RoneKiln wrote:Two is one and one is none.

Today my glock 23 blew up as I was shooting at the range. The barrel is missing most of its top, and the rest is jammed an inch farther down into the lower receiver than it should be. The magazine, extractor, and mag release all blew out (we did not find the extractor). The lower frame is warped out from the barrel remnants being smashed down into it. The upper receiver is close to 3/16ths of an inch farther from the lower than it should be. I assume the rails it used to slide on are ruined, but they are still intact enough to hold the upper receiver firmly. The trigger is partially shattered as well.

My belief, supported by the gunsmith, is that the bullet had a double charge of powder in it.

My injuries were ridiculously minor given how completely the pistol was wrecked. I am a very blessed man. That pistol was my carry piece for 15 years, and when it finally died, it still protected me from harm. It scared my Dad pretty bad to see his son's handgun explode.

A lesson really reinforced was ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION! I received three nicks. Two of them on the face and one on my hand. I don't think anything hit my glasses, but it was a great reminder.

Not sure I will go shooting alone anytime soon. I used to quite often. I was confident I wasn't going to do anything stupid to myself. I never seriously considered someone or some machine in a factory could make an error that could make something dangerous happen to me. My trigger was partially shattered, yet somehow my finger was unharmed. A lower quality handgun or less luck and I could have had a finger blown off. Not sure how far I could drive myself with my finger(s) blown off. This time I was at an indoor range in the city, but I am often at an outdoor gravel pit without reliable cell service. So that's my second lesson; take someone with you.

Not sure what else there is to learn from this. I won't state the manufacturer of the ammo till they have a chance to respond to my communication to them. They are a reputable manufacturer and everyone at the range was surprised to hear I had been using their ammo when it happened. Unfortunately we had just ordered 5000 rounds for my Dad and he is now very wary of it.

Which reminds me of another possible lesson. I save order invoices/receipts for large purchases like this. I was able to tell the manufacturer (I bought it directly from them) which order number it was, which may help them identify which batch it came from. I don't know if it will help or make a difference, but it gives them some sort of starting point.

If anyone else thinks of any other good lessons from this, please speak up. If anyone expresses interest, I will take the time later to figure out posting pictures.
Glad you are ok. Double-charge into handgun ammo is usually impossible unless it's deliberate, as it would typically spill over the case!

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:38 pm

RoneKiln wrote:Those pics certainly look comparable to what happened to me. You're the first I have ever heard say it's not uncommon with Glocks though. I will do some more research. Thanks for the tip on the unsupported case. That should make a big difference in my searches.
Here's the Glock Kaboom FAQ
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Way, way, way back in the day I had a squib with an Astra .380. The owner of the LGS I had purchased the Astra from was selling loose ammo (I assume he was rolling this himself).
I was doing some rapid fire stuff, heard a "pop" and fired the next round before I could react. No Kaboom, so I kept going but my accuracy went to shit.
Dropped the mag, locked slide to the rear and looked into the camber and bore. Nothing I could see wrong, went back to shooting.
Accuracy was shit.
Cleared weapon, went to remove the slide....NOGO. Refused to come off.
So...headed back to LGS assuming I was screwing up on the disassembly of the new (to me) Astra .380.
Owner of the store takes my pistol in the back, comes out about 20 minutes later and tell me that at some point I'd had a squib and that the barrel was bulged just forward of the chamber and placed a NIB Astra .380 in front of me. He said he'd just set up his reloading setup and must have screwed up one of the rounds he sold me.

Good Great customer service.
Excellent lessons learned.
Greatly impressed with the firearm itself; a crappier gun* might have blown up in my face.

*while neither Astra nor the .380 caliber are renowned as world class, as a .380 belly gun loaded with Winchester Silvertips they're not a bad thing.
Last edited by LowKey on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:38 pm

ghost792 wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:Those pics certainly look comparable to what happened to me. You're the first I have ever heard say it's not uncommon with Glocks though. I will do some more research. Thanks for the tip on the unsupported case. That should make a big difference in my searches.
As soon as everyone leaves work here at the office, I'm checking my PPS40 barrel's case support. Whatever that is.

Its not as big a space as the glock pictured.

ETA: photo of my barrel.
Last edited by MacWa77ace on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:54 pm

I've had two squibs in handguns, one in factory loaded 9x18 and one when I started reloading and missed dropping powder in a .44 mag. (I changed up my process since then and haven't repeated the mistake) Both were very obvious they were squibs and both were not easily cleared, taking the guns out of service until I could pound out the stuck bullet.

It's one of those things I listen for when I'm with new shooters, however rare they are if you shoot enough you'll experience one. I also learned it takes a lot of force to get a bullet out of a barrel once it's stuck partway down. Both experiences involved me using a rod and a hammer to do the job.

Glad you are OK! It sounds like that gun gave you a long service life.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:19 pm

dallas wrote:That is not an uncommon problem with Glocks. They have an unsupported case. When the pistols is used a lot, the head space increases and KaaBOoom. A flaw in the barrel cause it to split.

After some research it turns out the unsupported case was the issue I was already aware of on Glocks. I just didn't remember the terminology. Everything I read supported my previous belief that this is only an issue with certain types of ammo (which I was not using) or with flawed ammo. I am still comfortable arguing the ammo must have been flawed. Whether that was an over charged round, or a squib, I can't say. If it was a squib, it ejected smoothly, as the previous round did not fail to eject. I was being careful to save the failure to fire rounds and still have all four.

It is still hard for me to believe I would not recognize the difference between primer only vs a fully charged round. However I have never had a squib before so I have nothing to compare it to. Some here have said it can be hard to notice the difference and I don't disbelieve them. It's just a little hard to wrap my head around. Even if that happened, I still claim a squib is flawed ammo and at fault.

I have now waited near 3 weeks for the gunsmith to write out two paragraphs stating his opinion. He's "too busy." I spoke to another gunsmith on the phone and he is also too busy till after the holidays, though he really wants to see the pistol and finds the whole event interesting (in a previous career he was an engineer that focused on analyzing mechanical part failures). Tomorrow I will try a 3rd gunsmith as I would really like to wrap this up soon. I am also thinking if gunsmiths are all this busy in my area (I am told by many this is the norm), maybe I should do that for my retirement business.

Thanks for all the well wishes and concern expressed. It means more to me than I thought it would. Thanks for the shared stories as well.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:31 pm

LowKey and Tedbeau, glad both of you were unharmed in your experiences with squibs.

LowKey, that is awesome customer service. Glad the guy admitted it and made it right.

Tedbeau, no offense taken. It's a reasonable scenario, but I am confident I did not have a failure to eject. If there was a squib, it still ejected the shell properly. However in the future, I will always check the barrel after a failure to eject. Failure to eject was extremely rare with this pistol even when I used a 9mm conversion barrel. Now my little sisters glock 23 has tons of FTE when she uses a 9mm conversion barrel. We never did figure out why or how to correct it.
--Raptor

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:32 pm

ghost792 wrote:
Thanks for the link, I'd not heard of the issue with the USPs before.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:40 am

RoneKiln wrote:LowKey and Tedbeau, glad both of you were unharmed in your experiences with squibs.

LowKey, that is awesome customer service. Glad the guy admitted it and made it right.

Tedbeau, no offense taken. It's a reasonable scenario, but I am confident I did not have a failure to eject. If there was a squib, it still ejected the shell properly. However in the future, I will always check the barrel after a failure to eject. Failure to eject was extremely rare with this pistol even when I used a 9mm conversion barrel. Now my little sisters glock 23 has tons of FTE when she uses a 9mm conversion barrel. We never did figure out why or how to correct it.
How many rounds does she have through it? Might need new springs or a rebuild. I was having issues with my G23 not chambering fully. Rebuilt it for around $160 a couple years ago. Had around 7K rounds through it and did a bunch of dry fires.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

dallas

Post by dallas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:25 pm

tedbeau wrote: My first thought when you mentioned that you had several failures to fire preceding this also made me think about a squib round. I am not sure if a squib that leaves the bullet stuck in the barrel would be strong enough to cycle the gun and load another round.
Increased head space from wear would lead to light primer strikes and misfires too.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Redeyes wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:LowKey and Tedbeau, glad both of you were unharmed in your experiences with squibs.

How many rounds does she have through it? Might need new springs or a rebuild. I was having issues with my G23 not chambering fully. Rebuilt it for around $160 a couple years ago. Had around 7K rounds through it and did a bunch of dry fires.
The one that blew up had a newer guiderod, spring, and ejector. But the firing pin spring was original. I couldn't even guess how many rounds I have put through it other than "thousands."

My little sisters had the same, and I suspect the guiderod spring was too tough for it. I tried finding weaker springs but couldn't find one for the captured guide rod. We tried an uncaptured guide rod with a lighter spring and it sucked. I'll never try another one. I have read that due to luck of the draw on machining tolerances, some Glocks just don't like a specific conversion barrel. Due to distance and time constraints I have not yet been able to test a different barrel. We just put the .40 barrel back in and got her some lighter powered ammo for now.
--Raptor

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:20 pm

You may never know what caused that. Yours make 3 I've seen do that. The first one failed due to overloaded hot ass loads. The second had a couple of squibs with a round fired behind it. They banned glocks at the plate shoot after that.
There may have been a weak spot in the metal, it was damaged before you bought it or a bad round. Long story short, you aren't hurt and you can get another gun. I've blown a couple up back when we shot 2000 rounds a month. Never got hurt other than tingling in the hand for three days.
Saw a guy blow the bolt out of a custom 30-06 XP100. Should have killed him but it just knocked his hat off and left a deep cut that took 5 stitches.

Did you have that "please let my hand still be in one piece" moment?
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 pm

An article I recently read reminded me of this. The gunsmith with a background in investigating mechanical part failures went over the pistol and ammo in incredible detail, and even called on old friends to use equipment in a sort of forensics lab for examining mechanical failures. He very strongly believed the ammo was at fault, and wrote up a very professional report detailing why he believed that.

The ammo manufacturer was initially very polite, but ultimately completely blew me off. Not an apology, not even an offer to refund that box of ammo, nor an offer to swap out the remaining ammo from the same lot.

Freedom Munitions likely wrecked my glock.

Worse, my Dad hasn't come to the pistol range since, and has no interest in practicing with his pistol anymore. Seeing his son's pistol explode was more than he was ok with despite growing up with rifles and teaching me to shoot.

As far as I'm concerned, Freedom Munitions wrecked my pistol, and wrecked shooting for my Dad.
--Raptor

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm

I remember this thread. Scary stuff. Still don't much like Glocks. But this thread is also another stark reminder of how photo bucket destroyed internet based knowledge. :vmad:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:15 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 pm
An article I recently read reminded me of this. The gunsmith with a background in investigating mechanical part failures went over the pistol and ammo in incredible detail, and even called on old friends to use equipment in a sort of forensics lab for examining mechanical failures. He very strongly believed the ammo was at fault, and wrote up a very professional report detailing why he believed that.

The ammo manufacturer was initially very polite, but ultimately completely blew me off. Not an apology, not even an offer to refund that box of ammo, nor an offer to swap out the remaining ammo from the same lot.

Freedom Munitions likely wrecked my glock.

Worse, my Dad hasn't come to the pistol range since, and has no interest in practicing with his pistol anymore. Seeing his son's pistol explode was more than he was ok with despite growing up with rifles and teaching me to shoot.

As far as I'm concerned, Freedom Munitions wrecked my pistol, and wrecked shooting for my Dad.
Was FM the Manufacturer or just the retailer? I'm guesstha-imatin' the former.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 pm

FM was the manufacturer.
--Raptor

Return to “Survival Experiences”