strangest thing you have ever seen

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Barnabus

Re: strangest thing you have ever seen

Post by Barnabus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:59 pm

A story of my wife's. When she was a small child, her grandparents would visit her in her room and play games with her, and talk to her about her day at daycare. Years later, her mom dug out some very old pictures from her (mom's) childhood. My wife pointed at a couple and said "Grandma! Grandpa!" the MIL stared at her, and said "You've never seen these pictures before, how do you know that's them? They died BEFORE you were born!?" :shock:
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Around this time in 2013, me and 5 friends saw a good friend get shot and killed in a home invasion right in front of us with a full size high point 9mm....while we were tripping on 3 grams of shrooms each.

727 Ranch Hill Drive, Clarksville, Tennessee. Look it up if you're curious. :)
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

artbellfan1

Post by artbellfan1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:25 am

BadLands_Shooter wrote:Around this time in 2013, me and 5 friends saw a good friend get shot and killed in a home invasion right in front of us with a full size high point 9mm....while we were tripping on 3 grams of shrooms each.

Sorry to hear that, did they ever find the suspects?

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:10 am

artbellfan1 wrote:
BadLands_Shooter wrote:Around this time in 2013, me and 5 friends saw a good friend get shot and killed in a home invasion right in front of us with a full size high point 9mm....while we were tripping on 3 grams of shrooms each.

Sorry to hear that, did they ever find the suspects?
http://clarksvillenow.com/local/suspect ... arksville/
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:17 am

I just went scouting for camp sites in an new area and near the end I came across a shooting pit and in a fire pit there I found this.

Of course some obligatory fire pits.

Wait what is with all the brass in the fire pit, wait that isn't just brass that it full shells!

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

All live rounds! WTF. This is why there is ammo shortages, someone is dumping live ammo into firepits!

And yes I collected as much of the 45 as I could since I have my new 1911. And I did try shooting a couple of them there. Little lower power than the 45 ammo I have, but still quite functional.

I no longer have a 9mm pistol, and got rid of my 22 rifle as well. Never had anything with 223 or 308. While my AK does run 7.62X39 the steel case ammo in the pit was showing corrosion so I did not salvage that.

I did consider taking all except the 7.62. Figuring could always be a PAW barter item or just for a battlefield pick up. But I opted to leave them there realizing the weekend was coming and I am hoping someone else who has those other calibers, comes along this weekend and finds a nice surprise bonus ammo.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:34 pm

ineffableone wrote:I just went scouting for camp sites in an new area and near the end I came across a shooting pit and in a fire pit there I found this.

Wait what is with all the brass in the fire pit, wait that isn't just brass that it full shells!

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

All live rounds! WTF. This is why there is ammo shortages, someone is dumping live ammo into firepits!

And yes I collected as much of the 45 as I could since I have my new 1911. And I did try shooting a couple of them there. Little lower power than the 45 ammo I have, but still quite functional.

I no longer have a 9mm pistol, and got rid of my 22 rifle as well. Never had anything with 223 or 308. While my AK does run 7.62X39 the steel case ammo in the pit was showing corrosion so I did not salvage that.

I did consider taking all except the 7.62. Figuring could always be a PAW barter item or just for a battlefield pick up. But I opted to leave them there realizing the weekend was coming and I am hoping someone else who has those other calibers, comes along this weekend and finds a nice surprise bonus ammo.
I've found the odd live round in parking lots on occasion, but never that many in one spot like you, man. :shock:

I'm hoping anyone else who uses that fire pit cleans it out beforehand or else they're going to have one hell of a time fleeing from the area.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:38 pm

ineffableone wrote:I just went scouting for camp sites in an new area and near the end I came across a shooting pit and in a fire pit there I found this.

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

Where is the 10mm?

I assume there was a metal box nearby containing 13 bottle caps.
Mostly not here anymore.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:11 pm

At the tail end of last winter (March '15), the air temp here had been -20F since the beginning of February and hadn't budged much. One day, middle of last March, I was making the mile trek to the village store. The wind was whipping pretty good, wind chill was around -34F that day. Got to the end of the my road, which T's into a state highway that runs through the village. At that corner, as I'm checking for traffic, I notice a flock of phoebes sitting in a tree that's in the yard of the house at the corner. As I'm watching, one of the birds just falls right out of the tree, dead. Killed by the cold.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

NoSeeUm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston

Post by NoSeeUm » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:06 am

While giving helicopter flight instructions just north of Phoenix, in the middle of the desert, I saw a dog sled team pulling a sled with wheels on it.
Last edited by NoSeeUm on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never chase dangerous prey. Wait until it wanders into your kill zone.

feanor

Post by feanor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Once I was out tripping on something I shouldn't have. Walking home to a friend's house we pass a street sign.
The pole was stuck in the ground so close to the building that the had to put a bend in it so they could fit the sign on it without digging into the wall. On that bend a bicycle was hanging by the wheel, inbetween the spokes of the wheel.
After a while my friends realised I wasn't with them anymore so they doubled back and found me staring at it.
The most sober friend came up and reassured me that he saw it too.
I still feel it was quite unfair to spring crap like that on me while I'm trying to enjoy a psychedelic experience.

feanor

Post by feanor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:41 am

About ten at night on what I thought was a normal week night. I'm outside a subway station having a smoke after work on my way home.
Across the square comes a man stumbling in what was once drag but it must've been a rough night, or a couple of nights.
Mascara running half way down his face, lipstick smeared across a large portion of his face and hair in disarray with the hair net over half the scalp.
Wig in hand wearing a yellow crumpled and stained dress of some sort.
Black fishnet stockings torn almost beyond recognition and high heels, well one high heel, the other broken.
The height difference must've offset the drunken stumble since he was walking quite straight considering he lost bladder control, piss running down his leg/s.
That, my friends, was a mess.

aephilli

Post by aephilli » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Lambykins wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Worked at a truck stop...saw a driver and his gf go into a shower...when they came out an hour later, the gf was a guy and the driver was a girl. Sorta made me do a double-take. That was around 20 years ago.

ok, so, what makes you say this? "the tall one was wearing pants when they went in and when they came out the tall one was wearing the dress" or what?

dang, 4 years old post!
thread necromancy, Beh!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Interesting thread...

I've seen too damn many "strange" things for any single one to be the strangest, but one of the top ten would have to be:

Aboard ship in the USN, headed across the Atlantic on our way to Rota, Spain in 1975. Just at sunset, I happened to be up on the starboard gun mount making sure it was properly covered and secured after a gunshoot we'd had earlier in the day. The mount sat above and behind the starboard bridge wing so when we encountered a Soviet trawler heading west I was able to hear everything happening on the bridge wing as the OOD ensured that the passing was wide enough for safety and that details of the trawler, especially antennas and their configuration, were properly noted and photographed. Shortly after this, I was still up there (it was a nice night and I liked stargazing at sea) the lookout below me called out a contact ahead, a single white light. Maybe a minute later a second contact was spotted, then a third, fourth, then too many to easily count. All just single white lights that weren't moving much, if at all. They formed a line directly ahead of us and caused quite a stir on the bridge and our speed was reduced several times as we got closer to the lights, though the range to them was difficult to determine as that was all we could see, just white lights that seemed about the size of a baseball. Eventually, we came to a complete stop with a light almost dead ahead, one off to starboard about 500 yards, and the rest strung out in a line abeam at greater distances. We tried putting a searchlight on the light to see what it was attached to but still couldn't see anything but the light. About that time the CO ordered us to Condition 1A (we were an amphib cargo ship and carried LCM-8 and LCM-6 boats along with 350 Marines and about 10,000 tons of cargo for them) and told the bosun to put a couple of guys in the gig and send them out to see what the hell the lights were. I think the officers were of the opinion they were floats on fishing nets of some kind, maybe lost by the trawler we'd passed, even though there was no movement to them and the surface had some mild swells.

As soon as the gig was lowered, before it even cast off, they reported back that the lights were above the surface. When they got close to the one off the starboard beam they radioed that it was about 10-15 feet above the surface and that they could pass a boathook underneath it without snagging anything. They also confirmed there was nothing in the water that they could see, no nets, nothing. By now the bridge wing was packed with officers and all sorts of ideas, theories, and plans were thrown about. Eventually, it was decided to put a Mike 8 boat (LCM-8) over and lower a 6x6 (5 ton) truck into it with a tall stepladder in it to try and climb up close enough to identify the light. The boat was moved out to under the closest light but could not hold position very well (they're flat bottomed and don't handle all that well) and was rocking too much for anyone to even consider climbing a ladder on. After about 20 minutes of trying the CO tired of the whole thing, secured us from 1A, and conned us slowly past the one ahead and we continued on our way. I watched astern until I couldn't see them anymore.

We never did figure out what the hell they were and after we got to Rota the CO had to give a report to the squadron commander (Amphibious Squadron 5) about it and turn over the ship's logbook. We never saw that logbook again as far as I know. No orders were given to the crew regarding the incident but we all became a bit reluctant to talk about it as other sailors who weren't there just considered it a sea story.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:24 pm

I wouldn't be firing any ammunition I "found" laying around loose.
Until you pull the trigger you have no idea what type of powder charge is in there.

Think of it this way; some anti-gun prick uses a basic reloading set-up to make up a few boxes in assorted popular calibers with double charges and then scatters a few here and there on the ground at informal ranges int he hopes that a gun owner uses those doctored loads to blow up their gun.
Or a newbie re-loader screws up and double charges some reloads and tosses them when he's at the range and realizes he screwed them up.

Chances of either? Small.
Damage if it does occur? Catastrophic.

Pull the ammo apart and reuse the brass, sure.
Melt down the projectile and cast your own, sure.
Fire rounds of unknown provenance found in a fire-pit? No F**king way.

ineffableone wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:17 am
I just went scouting for camp sites in an new area and near the end I came across a shooting pit and in a fire pit there I found this.

A better look

7.62X39
22 long and short
9mm

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:40 pm

Found ammo = nothing good. I've seen experienced loaders fire off a squib and I've seen a guy that had no business around press blow up a Blackhawk. And I mean Ka-Freaking-Boom, looking for pieces, coulda been looking for fingers.

Saturday afternoon, Asheville NC, circa 2003, driving home from a few weekend hours at my normally 9-5ish M-F. Walking across the highway overpass is an African American man, early to mid 50's maybe, in full Confederate battle dress marching with the largest Confederate battle flag I have ever seen one man carry. I grew up in Lincoln's Illinois. This was not normal. This was culture shock. About a week later I heard him speak on the local radio station.

I fully understand that the only way this can go from here is sideways and political. This is what i saw, it was strange. No further discussion will take place on the open forum.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 pm

I live in NOLA...Weird is normal and normal is weird here. On any given day you could see something that would make people go WTF?!
My perception of weird is as a result biased.

That said one truly weird thing I encountered was in the aftermath of Katrina.

I was in the house of a friend helping him. It had taken about 3 feet of water inside the house. Some of the furniture of course had floated around but most had not.

When we walked in there were crystal wine and champagne glasses on the floor standing up as if someone had thrown a party. They are in several rooms and seemingly randomly placed. I asked him about it and he had no clue since on one had been in the place up until now.

It was kinda like someone threw a party left.

We finally figured out what happened when we found the storage area for these glasses was upright and open. As the water rose, the glasses floated out and were driven by the current/random motion around the house. Once the water receded they stayed in place and presented the image we found.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:47 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 pm
I live in NOLA...Weird is normal and normal is weird here. On any given day you could see something that would make people go WTF?!

I was in the house of a friend helping him. It had taken about 3 feet of water inside the house. Some of the furniture of course had floated around but most had not.

When we walked in there were crystal wine and champagne glasses on the floor standing up as if someone had thrown a party. They are in several rooms and seemingly randomly placed. I asked him about it and he had no clue since on one had been in the place up until now.

We finally figured out what happened when we found the storage area for these glasses was upright and open. As the water rose, the glasses floated out and were driven by the current/random motion around the house. Once the water receded they stayed in place and presented the image we found.

yep, NOLA = weird!!! :mrgreen:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:47 pm
raptor wrote:

"Darth Vader wearing a kilt and playing a flaming set of bagpipes while riding a unicycle in traffic" (famous image from Portland, WA) level of weird?

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:21 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:20 pm
Mad Mike wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:47 pm
raptor wrote:

"Darth Vader wearing a kilt and playing a flaming set of bagpipes while riding a unicycle in traffic" (famous image from Portland, WA) level of weird?

worse!!! :mrgreen:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:20 pm
He did not do that every day.
Ruthie the duck lady walked her ducks in FQ every day for decades:
https://www.nola.com/gambit/news/blake_ ... fb970.html

Cemeteries older than many cities in the US.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sai ... metery-one

We have lots of royalty... a plethora of queens:

Drag queen shows long before they were acceptable.
https://neworleanshistorical.org/items/show/367

Voodoo queens
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/marie-laveaus-tomb

Carnival Queens:
https://www.rexorganization.com
https://www.mardigras.com/new_orleans_p ... 8e9a6.html

I see your unicycle and raise you 1 sun rise daily:

Then of course my favorite...the sun in NOLA rises over the west bank of the Mississippi River.
https://sonc.com/look/?p=889

BTW also anyone from NOLA can tell you got them shoes... :mrgreen:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:28 pm

My best friend in the Navy, a guy named Mike Chevis, was from NOLA, so I don't doubt any of what you say. :lol:

Return to “Survival Experiences”