Near-Death Experiments in Food

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Near-Death Experiments in Food

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Product: Velveeta Shells & Cheese
Best By: 21 DEC 2017
Consumed: 09 JAN 2019

Appearance: The macaroni portion seemed fine but did have a distinct "stale" aroma. The cheese sauce showed marked oil separation and some slight clumping/curdling but smelled and tasted fine.
How Prepared: Per package directions

Result: The finished dish had a slightly "off" taste to it but otherwise looked and smelled close to normal.

After Effects: Mild case of loose bowels for two days after consumption.

Note to self: dump the other two boxes in the pantry and restock with fresh
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 pm
Product: Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Best by: 22 OCT 2015
Consumed: 4 JAN 2019

Appearance: More separation of mixture than is normal. Smell and everything else was normal.
How Prepared: 8 hours in slow cooker over pot roast with potatoes, carrots, dehydrated red and green peppers and a few herbs and spices.

Result: Delicious. No ill effects by anyone. Everyone asked for more until it was all gone.

That was not a fair test...everyone knows slow cooking a pot roast acts like a filter and renders any toxins delicious. :clap:

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 am

manacheck: Sorry so late responding.

The grease ants didn't seem to affect the flavor at all. My wife thought I was nuts.
Undercooked brats bring out the wurst in people.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

I"m slowly cleaning out my MRE emergency snacks which have traveled with me over many a hill and vale. I had MRE crackers and peanut butter from c. 2003-2005. The crackers were stale, very broken, and tasted like old flour. The peanut butter smelled like those Asian beetles which look like lady bugs, and was orange. I tossed it. I have eaten enough of those beetles to last me a lifetime. The crackers were also fed to my 14 month old daughter, who was not especially impressed, but accepted the offering. The outer clear plastic of the peanut butter was seperating from the brown plastic underneath , so that might have been a clue about quality & age.

So...the peanut butter really does have an expiration date.

I"m learning one needs to clean out their MREs from time to time. People can say "I have an MRE from the 80's and I"ll eat it when I'm hungry" but I have to say there are some real limits on that stuff.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 am

No discernable difference from a fresh box. Looked, smelled, tasted fine. And yes, this was an opened box in my pantry, with the inner bag clipped shut.

(Why do people buy bag clips when binder clips work just as well and are 1/20th the price? Hell, I have a couple of boxes of polished chrome ones that were like $4 a box if I want to get fancy.)

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:02 pm

Family size Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (Kraft Dinner to you folks in Canada)

EXP July of 2016

Looked fine but the taste is very "off". Then again, my wife says it smells fine to her and I have the flu/crud/cold/allergies, so it could be my taste buds that are weird.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Cottage cheese in work fridge.

Smell almost made me start gagging when I opened the door to the room.

I opened the container to make sure that's what the smell was.

It was.

Exp 2 years prior.

I didn't taste the actual product. Does tasting the smell count?

Promptly thrown in garbage.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Product: Whoppers Robin Eggs candy (2.5lb. bag)
Best by: 03-2015
Opened: 05/30/19

No difference from when purchased by accident in 2014.

(My wife used to love these and would wait all year for them to come out at Easter time. One year no one had them locally so I went online and bought her what I thought was three 2.5lb. bags. What I actually bought was three 3 bag boxes. Yeah, 22.5lbs. of them. This was the last bag. Guess I should reorder?)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 pm

Product: Hy-Vee Honey Graham Crackers

Best By: May 2016

Opened: May 30th, 2019

Still alive.

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 am

Klaus Tritium: Thanks for that!

woodsghost: agree. 20 year old MREs do not have good flavor. I recently did the same thing, and only the entrees which still had perfect seals, and which I boiled the hell out of for 15 minutes, were any good. Even the chocolate covered oatmeal cookie extras that last forever tasted bleh; stale as wet cardboard. The coating was fine, but the interior was gross. I was mainly disappointed with the MRE crackers as those were definitely the best part of the meal when they were... you know... NOT 15+ years expired. At least the tabasco sauce was still good haha.

Product: Dehydrated Raw Whole Eggs
Preservation Dates: December 2017, June 2018
Consumed: May 2019

Sensory Observations:
Both sets of dried egg stored in glass mason jars, metal lids and bands, unopened, away from light, in seasonal cool to room temperature conditions (55-75 degrees). 12/17 jar of eggs was significantly more darkened and "unpleasant" in color than 06/18 jar. 06/18 jar is not quite twice more darkened than brand new freshly dried egg. Neither jar's contents smelled noticeably rancid.

12/17 eggs used in ramen noodle soup, 1-2T worth, well cooked.
06/18 eggs used, one week later, in omelette, 1/4 C worth, rehydrated with 1/4 C water, then well cooked with some onion, dandelion leaves, black pepper, and topped with a slice of cheese.

Results:
12/17 eggs produced ill effects: loose rancid stools and stomach pains over the next day and a half. Flavor of ramen was "weird." Remainder of this jar was chucked. D:

06/18 Cooked one week later, these eggs produced no ill effects. Tasted good, but dense. Made a second omelette two days later with 1.5x the water; turned out delicious.

Conclusion: If you dry your own raw eggs at home, that one year expiration date seems like a good bet. Go beyond it at your peril. :mrgreen:
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 pm

I just found a stash of freeze-dried strawberries and bananas with a best by date from 2013 and half a case of Orville Reddenbocker "Movie Theatre Butter" microwave popcorn with a date of Oct 2015. I will report back later. :crazy:

If I'm able. :oh:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 am

Product: Disney Goofy Brothers-All-Natural-Fruit Crisps (freeze-dried strawberries & bananas)

Best By: 10-26-15
Consumed: 08-11-19

Appearance: Looked normal, maybe a bit of powdered fruit in the bottom of the bag

How Prepared: N/A

Result: Looked, smelled, and tasted normal

After Effects: so far, so good. No effects.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Product: Nisan Shrimp Ramen

Storage Conditions: Not the best. Kept in mostly dry basement that flooded once in ten years. Kept on the shelf in original package (case lot) and not vacuum packed or any special storage at all. At least once the outer package got wet.

Best By: 04-05-12
Consumed: 08-18-2019

Appearance: Looked normal

How Prepared: Boiled 3 mins, lets stand 3 mins

Result: Seemed to take longer than normal to convert the starch. Tasted like shitty noodles with too much salt so perfectly normal.

After Effects: Hungry again 30 minutes later.

Should note that the noodles are nearly ten years old.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Product: Best Choice Cut Green Beans

Storage Conditions: Near perfect. Cool dry place.

Best By: 08-05-07
Consumed: 08-19-2019

Appearance: Normal

How Prepared: Nuked for four minutes

Result: Boringly normal.

After Effects: None.

Should note that the green beans are twelve years old. I discovered a couple of cases of canned goods that missed several regular rotations and I have been working through them.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

tedbeau

Home made zucchini bread or Amish friendship bread

Post by tedbeau » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Baked and vacuum bag sealed October 2008 consumed September 2019 so just before it's 11th anniversary
My wife used to make both Amish friendship bread and zucchini bread when she had more time to bake.

I found this one in the back of the basement freezer.
I am not sure if it's the amish or zucchini. I noticed there were specks or green it it when I cut it open so it's probably zucchini or the specks were mold.
Description, when I cut it open there was some moisture but this is normal when ever we freeze these. I cut off a piece and if was dense and moist, again normal when frozen
Tasted ok but perhaps less flavor than normal fresh loaf.
Side effects none in the 1/2 hour since I ate it. Ill update tomorrow if needed.

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:36 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm
The peanut butter smelled like those Asian beetles which look like lady bugs, and was orange. I tossed it. I have eaten enough of those beetles to last me a lifetime.
I was working on a roof when somebody threw a couple of gallons of the orange beetles on the fire. I saw that the smoke was heading my way and braced myself. When it reached me, it was the best smell that I could imagine. It smelled better than the best steak cooking. My mouth started watering. If I ever have to serve people old, crappy food, I'm going to put some Asian beetles in a separate, covered fry pan. After they smell it, they should be hungry enough to eat anything. They might even want the beetles.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Klaus Tritium wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:36 am
woodsghost wrote:
The peanut butter smelled like those Asian beetles which look like lady bugs, and was orange. I tossed it. I have eaten enough of those beetles to last me a lifetime.
I was working on a roof when somebody threw a couple of gallons of the orange beetles on the fire. I saw that the smoke was heading my way and braced myself. When it reached me, it was the best smell that I could imagine. It smelled better than the best steak cooking. My mouth started watering. If I ever have to serve people old, crappy food, I'm going to put some Asian beetles in a separate, covered fry pan. After they smell it, they should be hungry enough to eat anything. They might even want the beetles.
Wow! That is amazing and I never would have guessed that.

I have had at least 6 crawl into my mouth while sleeping and wake me up. I don't know if there were more and I just didn't wake up. I used to live in a VERY bug infested place. Variety is the spice of life. I could have done with a little less variety though.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:49 pm

[/quote]

Wow! That is amazing and I never would have guessed that.

I have had at least 6 crawl into my mouth while sleeping and wake me up. I don't know if there were more and I just didn't wake up. I used to live in a VERY bug infested place. Variety is the spice of life. I could have done with a little less variety though.
[/quote]

Sounds like you got plenty of spice anyway.

I have a primitive building which gets infested with them in the fall. I was nearly knocked down opening a door in the dark by a large mass of them falling across my shoulders. They had formed a huge mass about 6" in diameter all around the door frame which came loose when I pushed the door open and entered. They were several inches deep on the floor as well. There must have been millions of them. I shoveled them out of the building.

Klaus Tritium

Post by Klaus Tritium » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:37 pm

woodsghost wrote:
IThe peanut butter smelled like those Asian beetles which look like lady bugs, and was orange. I tossed it. I have eaten enough of those beetles to last me a lifetime.
To get this back on topic:

One of these years, I am going to give in to curiosity and grind up a few pounds of those orange beetles and boil them in a pot of water to see how much bug lard I can render. Sources of fat might be hard to come by when SHTF. My biggest fear is that the fat will be orange. Might work good to make taco meat out of chicken...or maybe chorizo. Might be pretty gross looking if used to fry eggs.

Return to “Survival Experiences”