It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:13 am 

Just got done helping a friend change a flat tire on the side of a road. It took about 3 hours, which is a new length record in my book. It is ok though. I learned plenty.

Personally, I"m good at changing tires. But not everyone is. In fact, some people have never changed one. If that is you, maybe watch some videos and then actually go out and do it.

Make sure your doughnut or spare tire is inflated!!!!!!!!! This one is so easy to overlook. I"m checking mine tomorrow.

Make sure you know the hard points on the bottom of the car. The places where you would put a jack to lift it up. Knowing that ahead of time will save you untold amounts of time and worry. Looking at the bottom of a car and not knowing what will be safe and what will punch a hole in the floor boards will slow you down quite a bit.

Make sure you have a tire jack. Some cars do not. My friend's did, but it was for a different model car. The jack worked just fine, but the doohicky was the wrong size for the lug nuts.

If you use Fix-A-Flat, or similar goo, make sure to watch some videos first. I think we goofed by squirting some in, then pausing while some was in the line. That stuff then hardened in the line and cause the can to become inoperable?

Wal-Mart is awesome!!!!

Truck drivers who pull into the other lane as they pass you by are awesome!!!!

Cops can be awesome!!!! Especially if they pull in behind you and block anybody from coming up your tail pipe at whatever MPH.

Throw your bugout bag in the car. Or keep a car bag. In that car bag keep leather gloves. It sucks holding metal while cold. Also, throw a hat in there. You think you are dressed for the weather....but you are not. Unless you live in Canada, then you might be dressed for the weather. But throw an extra hat in there anyway, for the person who is holding your flashlight for you. And gloves for them. Haveing your bug out bag already sitting in your car is awesome!!!! So is the extra jacket you stashed in there without really thinking.

Having a really bright light in the car is wonderful! Having another one stashed in your BOB is even better! Having two REALLY BRIGHT lights makes changing a tire in the dark so much EASIER!!!!!

Beer and pasta are a great way to end the night. And my wife makes awesome cookies!!!!

Well, that is the end of my saga.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:37 am 

All good points. I might add:

cheap, blinky red light is nice to put out for other drivers when your awesome cop buddy can't be there

on trucks, vans , and other vehicles that deploy the spare under the back end, make sure the cable/ lift mechanism is not corroded and stuck..............
might be a good idea to check before you are on the side of the interstate and it is pouring down rain. don't ask me how I know

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:17 am 

my takeaway from that was " In a emergency situation, make sure you have tasty cookies " :awesome:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
my takeaway from that was " In a emergency situation, make sure you have tasty cookies " :awesome:

AAA has always worked for me! Let someone else do the heavy lifting. Not applicable during zombie tornadoes though....

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:52 pm 

flybynight wrote:

And Beer.

;)

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:15 pm 

SCBrian wrote:
flybynight wrote:

And Beer.

;)

I may be old fashioned but I would never have beer and cookies. Now beer and pancakes..... :awesome:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I am going to add one more suggestion. A 12 volt tire pump is a cheap and easy long lived prep. Keep it in your trunk. If you tire is low you can keep filling it up until you get someplace to patch or replace it.

https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRIC-GAUGE-T ... B000WEMMUK

It is also tough to find tire compressors at gas stations so this spares you from that problem...(get it...SPARES you!). :clownshoes:

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:13 pm 

Keep leather work gloves, a headlamp, a portable air compressor that plugs into the car's 12-volt outlet, and a four-way lug wrench in your car. Also a hydraulic floor jack. Scissor jacks aren't worth the metal they're made of.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm 

My friend is a prepper and had some tools. In fact, his dad is a mechanic. However, he himself had never actually changed a tire, and that shocked me a bit. So that is why I posted up. Also, I used so many car preps to deal with issues that came up that I just had to post up. It would have been miserable and extremely difficult without those preps just standing idly by. So I see this as total justification for my life choices :D

My friend also has a multi-function doodad in his car for emergencies. It has a light, an air compressor, and some other stuff, and plugged into his 12V socket. He admitted it was cheap. That would be an understatement though. Raptor, I love what you linked to. For other folks who might have some multi-function piece of hardware in their car, or the car of a loved one, maybe pull it out and make sure it actually works as advertised. In particular, his did not have a nozzle for car tires, (though it would have worked great for blow-up camping mattresses) and the light was super weak. Gear, especially cheap and untested gear, may not work as advertised.

Caption Obvious says: test your gear before relying on it.

Caption Obvious is often ignored.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm 

In addition to what Raptor and Towanda posted, these come in handy

OR

Last edited by flybynight on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:29 pm 

Fixed many tires with the above kit.

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 pm 

I second this. I have had two vehicles fall of a scissor jack granted this was in Knoxville, TN both times . They might be ok in the plains but on hills they are dangerous. I might also recommend a a sturdy chunk of wood either for a tire stop or because you need just a little more elevation or load bearing.

Towanda wrote:
Keep leather work gloves, a headlamp, a portable air compressor that plugs into the car's 12-volt outlet, and a four-way lug wrench in your car. Also a hydraulic floor jack. Scissor jacks aren't worth the metal they're made of.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 pm 

changing a tire sucks.

recently we did a training night where we swapped tires on our troop carriers (4 troopies) and the bus (21 seat coaster). the point was to ensure everyone knew how to change a flat if we were on operations.

ditto the hydraulic jack, faster you can get the car up, safer you'll be, gloves and a old piece of carpet or foam to kneel on while you work. chocks are essential, especially on big vehicles like 4wd and trucks. lighting both as illumination and as a warning. I've seen some off-roaders instal little led lights in the wheel wells to illuminate the wheel and suspension for repairs at night...nifty feature

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:10 pm 

+many for a good air compressor. Also flares/reflectors/road lights.

Also, toss a couple hand warmers in the car bag. Nothing quite as miserable as being stuck on the side of the road in a must-do situation and having your hands frozen while trying to work.

I helped my brother replace his alternator on the side of the freeway in -10F air temp, -30 wind chill. That was fun. Fortunately we had my car. Left it running the whole time and ran back every 5-10 minutes or so to warm up. Sheriff's Deputies laughed at us when they stopped to see what was up. Well, one did. The other was more the hard case.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 pm 

Fu Shen wrote:

Also, toss a couple hand warmers in the car bag. Nothing quite as miserable as being stuck on the side of the road in a must-do situation and having your hands frozen while trying to work.

I helped my brother replace his alternator on the side of the freeway in -10F air temp, -30 wind chill. That was fun. Fortunately we had my car. Left it running the whole time and ran back every 5-10 minutes or so to warm up. Sheriff's Deputies laughed at us when they stopped to see what was up. Well, one did. The other was more the hard case.

Good cop , bad cop routine ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 pm 

Excellent AAR, woodsghost!
You listed all manner of non-obvious issues for what "sounds" like a simple issue, until the first time it happens in real life, which is usually in sub-optimal conditions. :)

One more piece of gear: reflective vest or coat.
You can get them for under $10 at Amazon, Walmart, as well as any good safety gear store.

Quick google brought up:
https://www.walmart.com/c/ep/safety-vests
with this one for a mere four bucks ($4):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TR-Industria ... w/47505689

We keep at least one in our up front kit, in both of our family cars.
Ditto on extra head & hand warm gear.
We've got an extra watch cap & cheap gloves in the front kits, and cheap gloves in the pockets of all our fleeces & coats.

Most of our car break-down gear (high-vis triangle, etc) is in the back, so our front kits are oriented to getting safely to the trunk.

Raptor:
What's the packed size of that compressor?
Do you have pics of it loaded in your car?
For that matter, have you ever posted your car kit? :)

woodsghost posted up an excellent thread on his, a couple years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113190
We ended up adopting your use of tubs & empty bags. :)
I have some suggestions for your wife's kit, which I'll try to post up soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:41 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Honeypot wrote:
Raptor:
What's the packed size of that compressor?
Do you have pics of it loaded in your car?
For that matter, have you ever posted your car kit? :)

The one I linked was simply a low priced one on Amazon.

Here is a picture of mine. It lives in my trunk, I use to top off the tires and under such light use it has lasted about 10 years. I bought due to the compact size. I took the photo a few minutes ago.

Now since you asked this is what I have in my everyday car, (as opposed to my Sunday go to meeting car). Sorry but I did not open up every thing to show you but you can see several key items.
FAK (orange Home Depot plastic tool box)
CERT back Pack (green pack)
Document and clothing case in back (blue lid).
12 volt battery booster
master key (a.k.a 3 foot long crowbar)
50ish feet of 550 cord
35 feet of 3/4 in double braided nylon rope 9dock line and tow rope for car.
leather holster for my car revolver
One of several towels
a ZS hat for when I want to make people laugh.
Flexible ice chest

This is a picture of it stowed. The netting keeps the gear in place.

The CERT Bag is visible here as is the OD jumpsuit it is covering. I carry PPE in that bag, hardhat, leather gloves, Hi Viz Vest, ear plugs safety glasses and a change of clothing. It also has small tools for shutting off gas and water valves. You can see the ubiquitous roll of duct tape. I have not had to use the crow bar since Katrina but I do not call it my master key without reason.

In this shot I made the 1.5 liter bottle of water visible. I also carry some life boat rations and couple cans of cat food/tuna. (I am a sucker for a hungry cat). The blue top box carries local re-entry documents and magnetic signs to put on the side of the car as well as some rain gear and clothing.

Not visible are:
12 volt spot light
binoculars
spare ammo
spare batteries
power inverter 12 volt to 115 volt AC
spare glasses
Heat shield
basic tools
The spare is under the floor and yes I did check the pressure in it.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 am 

flybynight wrote:
Fu Shen wrote:

Good cop , bad cop routine ?

More or less. Nothing like TV. Good cop engaged us in dialogue while his stern faced buddy walked around the scene making sure we weren't up to anything funny besides freezing our asses off on the side of the freeway at 2am. Speaking of funny, while my brother was waiting for me a car pulled up behind him. I don't know if he opened his door or what, but as soon as they saw he was there they took off.

To stay somewhat on topic: Having extra fluids can also come in handy. My wife's car eats oil. Whether by defect or design, it's apparently a thing with that model. Let it go too long once until the oil light came on. She got it home fine, but we keep extra oil in the trunk now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 am 

Also, know if your spare tire is a doughnut or a full-size tire. Doughnuts, you're not supposed to go over 50 or 55 or some ridiculously low number on... :lol:

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm 

Very good advice to remember to check the pressure in the spare.

I keep a VERK in my cars, but in the last 10 years I've plugged and re-inflated more tires using the plug kits and mini-compressors than I can count. Most of the time out on the road. One time when I got 4 tires replaced at once, tires that I had wore down to the absolute minimum, one tire had 3 plugs in it and two other tires had one plug each, 5 plugs in 4 tires.

If you keep the compressors and the plug kits in your car you should also keep an assortment of pliers and screw drivers to use to remove whatever went into your tire. And Gloves, papertowels/clean rags, handywipes to protect your hands and clean up afterwards.

I've only changed one tire due to a puncture in that same time period, and that only because the wheel weight that went into it made to big a hole to seal with two plugs. [I tried :gonk: ] I couldn't figure out what it was until I started pulling it out, then I couldn't believe it. This happened a couple hours before I was to drive out of town [450 miles round trip], so luckily my spare held up for that trip.

I rotate my tires on all 3 cars and also do break jobs on them so I take them off and put them on at least once a year. I drive a lot of miles a year. My neighbor gave me this gigantic hydrolic car jack 'cause it was too big for is garage, and it makes quick work of any maintenance that requires lifting a vehicle. I can lift one whole side [both tires] to rotate them, even on my Explorer.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:38 pm 

Our insurance co. has a thing where we can call for roadside assistance. Few months ago I had a flat, called the guy out, and the spare was flat. he reinflated it in a few minutes with an electric air pump.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have used my air pump on other people's car much more than mine. Last time it was needed there was a lady in the parking lot with a flat. She was trying to get the tools out. I offered to reinflate the tire to see if it would hold air. It did and she drive to a nearby tire place. No need for a jack.

It is a worthwhile $20 prep item.

ImageImageImage