Zombie Quiz: What would you REALY DO!?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kage Kazumi
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland & The Walking Dead.

Zombie Quiz: What would you REALY DO!?

Post by Kage Kazumi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 am

Reader,

You see many people ask this question on many forums. In fact, you can find a few topics on the subject here, but let's get a little series. I'm a student in college and for our Horror scenario we could choose a topic and I chose Zombies (the current Fad). Now, like any good aspiring writer I need to do some simple research and have a few questions (scenarios) for you to reply to, to help make my characters more authentic in handling certain scenarios.

1) Your Weapon of choice and why?
2) Do you see yourself as a leader? The person to unit people and groups.
3) If you have any loved one (wife, kids, boyfriend, etc) would you try and find them? If not why?
4) Could you see yourself truly being able to kill a family member or friend who has gone zombie?
5) Would you have issues killing a child zombie you did not know?
6) How would you deal with hostile groups (humans) who may want what you have?
7) If you have kids explain how you would keep them safe from zombies and hostile people?
8) You have been infected! So would you take your own life, turn and have a friend kill you, or leave your group and turn to remain a zombie until killed?
9) Where would you take up shelter and why?
10) Would you seek abandon houses or buildings with solar panels?
11) Would bury the dead (dead zombie) or burn them?
12) Would bury the dead (dead human; not infected) or burn them?
13) If food was scarce could you bring yourself to eat a dog or cat?
14) Your initial thoughts on the announcement or warning (if any; news)?
15) How would you deal with massive power outage?
16) Soaps and Shampoos are becoming scarce so how do you keep clean?

That's all the questions I could come up with. Thanks for reading and hope you answer some of them.

v/Respectfully,
Kage Kazumi

Tater Raider

Re: Zombie Quiz: What would you REALY DO!?

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:07 am

1. My brain - improvise, adapt, overcome.
  2. No, more of a Glen type.
  3. Kids and if I have to explain that...
  4. Yup.
  5. Nope.
  6. Avoidance.
  7. You'd have to backread my posts. fortunately there are less than 5,000 of them.
  8. Depends on my mood and the situation, seriously.
  9. Any of several BOL's I've lined up.
  10. No.
  11. Burn.
  12. How do they want their body disposed of?
  13. Dog, cat, insects...
  14. There wouldn't be one - well, a useful one at any rate.
  15. Heat stroke most likely, until I adapt to a lack of AC.
  16. Make my own.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:39 am

Firearms. Remington 7600P in .308 and Glock 17A. Dealing with threats outside arms reach is always better than getting into fisty cuffs. Also that's what I'm legally limited to. Without restriction from firearms legislation it would be AK74 and Glock 17

2) Do you see yourself as a leader? The person to unite people and groups.
yes, that's what I naturally tend towards.

3) If you have any loved one (wife, kids, boyfriend, etc) would you try and find them? If not why?
my family if I can. definitely my best mate (and also battle buddy). probs his gf too.

4) Could you see yourself truly being able to kill a family member or friend who has gone zombie?
yes

no

hostility invites hostility, they'd no longer threaten me after they made their intentions known.

7) If you have kids explain how you would keep them safe from zombies and hostile people?
I don't. I probs(hopefully) won't for a while. If I had them I would keep them safe by teaching them vital skills to survive, protect themselves and get them to most secure location possible

8) You have been infected! So would you take your own life, turn and have a friend kill you, or leave your group and turn to remain a zombie until killed?
If I was with group, I'd kill myself. If I was alone, I'd see what it's like to be undead

Where ever was safe and I could ensure prolonged survival

I would seek whatever resource I required at the time. hopefully I have everything I require, however there will always be shortcomings in preps and hopefully I can trade for what I need.

Dig pit, throw body in. burn it. bury burned remains.

see above

yes.

Fuck... [dials battle buddy]

light a candle, put my headlamp on my head. put a spare battery in my pocket.
depending on cause and expected delays I'd go to the shops and buy as many batteries and other consumables as I could with cash on hand. I need to get a back up generator to run the fridge/freezer though. it's on the list

soap is not scare in my stores. shampoo is not required.

for the sake of a story line, without soap.. it would be a combination of going without soap for regular washing, or heating water to clean with.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 am

For what it's worth, you chose a pack of disaster prepared zombie exterminators as at least one of your study groups. Results will be skewed.

1: Suppressed AR 15 in 300 blackout, if this is seriously a ZPAW, noise must be kept to a minimum. Fighting carbines are also the best rock huckers around I currently have an AR in 5.56, I am one barrel change away from it being 300 BLK. For my pointy sticks I would want a European side sword (or any hand and half sword) and my Estwing Carpenter's Hatchet.

2: If I am with the group of people I want to be with, I would at very least be one of the leaders. If I am with a completely different group of people, I will cautiously follow the leadership if it is good, if bad I will either leave the group or plant seeds for insurrection, with me as leader.

3: Yes

4: Yes

5: No

6: Evade, evade, kill in a fight

7: Childless, I do have younger siblings but they all know how to kick ass in the ZPAW so I am GTG there

8: Go down in a blaze of glory, sword and hatchet in hand fighting back a swarm to protect mah people

9: Vantage point, aways off from the beaten path, hopefully near a water tower

10: Forums rule say scavenging is stealing, so if I find a buildign with slar panels with owners who are willing to share, yeah I'd take 'em

11: Aus style, dig hole, burn, bury

12: Same as above

13: You won't like me when I am hungry

14: Ohhh shhiiiiiii... GODDAMNIT I DON'T HAVE ALL MY PREPS READY FFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

15: Seek shelter from the mid day heat, operate morning evening and night

16: Keep hair short and jump in the river
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

cletus

Post by cletus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am

Not to split hairs. Best answer is whatever your most proficient with. Long range weapons are nice to eliminate a threat from far away. But if your shooting at 50yrds + in a urban environment, chances are its not a threat at that distance. The reality in a SHTF scenario, is close quarter combat. 30rds out of a rifle is nice, if you have the time [while running/moving], to take aim at something the size of a basketball that is running/moving towards you, then cool. But I like a 12ga with a short barrel and any shot #4 or bigger. Only cause it takes some of the guess work out of it and you can achieve the same result as a rifle, but with less precision required.

Naturally yes, But too many chiefs and not enough indians is never good. I'll bow out and go solo if my authority butts heads with others. Remember, the chiefs have guns too!

Absolutely. I would try my best to reach places I would think they would be. If all possibilities are exhausted, I'll surcum to inevitable and face I may never seemt them again.

Kind of a morbid thought, but yes. In a survival situation, and backed into a corner humans can bring them selves to anything

Does it have to be a zombie?....lol, NO.

After the world ends, survival becomes Fight or Flight. I chose flight! Evade until very last minute, then fight!

No real good single answers to that. But keep them with love ones, friends, or trusted people of a group I'm with. Keep their exposure to zombies/humans as limited as possible.

I'd say kill myself. But in reality probably leave and turn only to be killed later on

Any place away from a urban enviro, away from crowds, with a tactial field of view, and minimal entry/exit points with an isolated escape route. While it would be nice to go to the mall, Sams Club, Gander Mt, Cabelas etc...... basically any place that has everythign you need. I would think that Guns & Ammo, stocked ahead of time, would be a means to fight your way to that location. Never rely on everything being there like it was before the outbreak.

Unless it was the perfect fortifed stronghold, no not as a refuge. Only because others would take notice to the same thing. If possible/pratical, I would scavenge the panels to take back to wherever my survival refuge was.

Bury. I'd have to imagine that even the dead can smell the dead, even if extra crispy. Plus a fire would likely attract more

Dead rotting flesh smells like dead rotting flesh. Human or zombie, all the same. So like previous answer, bury them.

Unfortunatley yes

Disbelief. "Oh that won't reach us! The Army will have it contained in no time". Hard to say when reality will sink in. Hopefully not too late.

Hopefully will have everything I need to stay right where I'm at. But if I had to leave, I'd try to avoid the mobs of people and wait until the dust settles before making a break for it

Just water is still better than nothing. TO fight BO, smoke bath. Pretty efficient at fighting odor

Girthquake

Post by Girthquake » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm no expert, and my survival preps are no where near where they should be, but this is what I would do.

1) Personally I would take my AK-47 as it is the weapon I have the most ammo for currently, although that may change to my Hi-Point carbine if I buy more 9mm. If I had a handgun I would likely get one in 9mm and use the Hi-point so I wouldn't have to carry several calibers. I would also use a large knife with a solid handguard as a backup.

2) Am I a leader? No. Can I lead? If need be, yes.

3) Depends on the relation and situation. Family or wife would definitely warrant some effort, if I didn't have to go through thousands of zombies to get to them. I live just outside of New York City, so if they were on the other side of it or in it I would probably have to write them off as screwed.

4) Yes. Why let them suffer. It's kind of like Old Yeller or Lenny and George, I'd regret it and be unhappy but ultimately I feel I would do it more humanely then others.

5) No a threat is a threat plain and simple. Without any pre-existing relationship I would have no qualms defending myself.

6) Most likely violently. I have a tendency to overreact when threatened and would have very little regard for people I saw as potential threats.

7) If I had kids I would keep them by my side and arm them if they're able to hold a weapon and use it responsibly. Other than that this is a situation where there wouldn't be too much anyone would be able to do to keep themselves safe.

8) If I have time I would give my supplies and gear to someone I deemed worthwhile, and have them put a bullet in my head or stab my skull so as not to waste any weapons. If it was something that was happening quickly I would eat a bullet.

9) Realistically I don't think anything permanent would be easy or even possible, but should I need to shelter a group for a longterm basis I know of a mostly abandoned psychiatric center not too far from here. It has a large gate and fence around the entire grounds of, wrought iron I believe and 6 feet tall. It also has underground tunnels connecting the buildings so that if the grounds were overrun their would still be ways around and out.

10) I doubt that luxeries such as electricty would be high on my priority list, but I would try to find buildings with functioning fireplaces if it was winter time so that I could try to keep warm.

11) Burn them if it didn't draw in zombies, bury them if it did.

12) Same as above.

13) As I said in a thread dedicated to this I have an emotional attachment to my own dog, and she would be good at helping me hunt small game so I wouldn't eat her. But other dogs and cats would be fair game as meat is sustenence.

14) Disbelief, I would feel that it was likely a War of the Worlds read by Orsen Welles type of thing. That said on the off chance it was real I would get my gear together and load up all my magazines.

15) Flashlights and lamps for light and fires for cooking.

16) I've heard that UV rays are able to kill a some germs so I would expose my body to the sun if it was safe to do so.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Kage Kazumi wrote:
Like someone else said my mind is the primary weapon. But in the spirit that you asked, probably a AR with a 1911 in .45acp on my hip. For busting skulls up close & slightly quieter I like the idea of the Stanley Fubar (it may suck, I haven't done any tests).

No, more of a supporting officer type. I'd be more at home having my areas of responsibility & offering advice not to mention I don't have the charisma of a leader.

Yes! The only way I wouldn't would be if I had responsibility's that had to be seen to first or if it would mean bringing down more danger upon them. My wife & brother are key members of my little team & we are too small to afford to lose anyone if it could be helped.

Yes! It would suck big green donkey weenie & I would most likely bawl like a baby but sometimes doing the right thing sucks.

Some but nothing like if I knew them, it would also help if the adrenaline was pumping.

Hold their hands, gather around a campfire, & sing kumbyya. (sorry :oops: ) Avoidance first of all, then if that didn't work force, misdirection, treachery, cleverness, & more force. Basically it's a case of they could have prepared just as easily as me & my loved ones aren't going to be victims if I can help it. Now I have no problem giving someone a hand though.

Same as now, educate them & do my damndest to keep them close to a responsible trustworthy adult. That & try to provide a safe place for them to relax.

Tough one, can I go find those people from #6 & join up with them? I'll take second watch. :D

Home or one of the family farms (dad, brother, & mother in law each live on acreage in the country) preferably at my brothers place.

Talk of taking things that don't belong to you is frowned upon at zs. Now assuming you didn't mean to just take the panels, then yes I would seek them out. Any survivors would be invited to join us, bring their gear, & most importantly their knowledge.

Probably burn, it would depend on several factors.

Same as for the others.

Yes.

Assuming it was early enough to not be received with "NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!" then most likely chalk it up to a prank or publicity stunt.

Same as now with local power outages, candles, lanterns, secondary heat (in winter), secondary power, & moving to the basement to sleep in the hot months.

Make our own, haven't done it in years but know it can be done & have a recipe or two.
Last edited by wamba on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 pm

AR-15, Glock 19, .22LR, and a Shotgun.

Perhaps somewhat. But it's more important whether or not others see me as a leader.

Hmmm. Depends where I am when it happens and how bad things are. If we're able to maintain comms for a while, I won't be too worried about them. Being practical/safe is also an important criteria.

Maybe not immediately post-bite (unless they ask me to), but once they've turned, yep.

Not unless it looks exactly like a real human

LEEEEERROOOOOYY JEEEEKINS!!

No kids, but my future kids will learn to shoot as early as possible, just like I did

I'm not coming back as a zombie, no matter what. If a good friend is around, we'll have a "pact" to shoot each other if we get infected.

Ideally? My BIL. If that's a no-go, anywhere our group can successfully secure and defend.

Doubtful.

Burn. Only way to be truly sure.

Burn. My friends and I will have that as a policy.

Depends how scarce, and whether it's MY dog or cat.

Not much. Quick run down of preps, firearms, ammo, etc. Move into a "mobile-ready" posture so that, if need be, I can be moving ASAP.

Candles, fires, etc.

Make my own.

forthewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (I dont care if you think it is or not.) Zombie Land, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead. Land of the Dead was ok but John L. was the only half decent actor.

Post by forthewolf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Sig 5.556 as my rifle, Glock 23 as my main side arm. .22 pistol as my back up/ its just a silly zombie killing pistol.
I do, and Ive seen from experience that people dont mind following me. Though I have met some people that dont like following others.
My girlfriend, and yes I would. My brother is my battle buddy (he is one of those that doesnt like following but he also knows I'm more of a peoples person so he would probably leave it to me and just strongly advise on issues.) And my mom I would go to hell and back for her.

It would be a somber moment, but yes.

No

This is in a full out ZPAW, no laws? Then if they mean no good there is no need for them in an already creul world. And "live to fight another day" is not an option I would leave for them. Now if its just a temp thing then justice will be done after the dust settles.

I dont.

I would want out after I turn ( just incase I dont ), no need risking me "live to fight another day" I would hate to come back after I turned to kill someone I loved.

Any where I could that was safe.

Yes? I would much rather it did then didnt.

Burn. Why waste energy digging?

Still burn, but make it into more of a ceremony

Yes, just not mine.

Shit. Time to gear up.

Flash lights. Fill the tubs up with water incase water outages start to occure as well. Then start moving the fridge and freezer into coolers and eat the parishables first.

Boiled water.
In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. -Tyler Durden

Deliver me from clever art, deliver me from Swedish furniture.-Tyler Durden

wrenchinhobo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead series, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead, Ahhhhhh Zombies, etc.

Post by wrenchinhobo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 pm

M1 Springfield Armory version (don't want to ruin a real WWII weapon) for my primary, Springfield XDM9 for my pistol, Either a Katana, Machete or hatchet for hand to hand with my cold steel tanto for a backup
I'd prefer to carry a bow for a primary if in heavily infested area for it's quiet operation, but I doubt I could hit the broad side of a barn. With my family I'd pass the pistol to my wife as she is deadly with it at close range and if the end begins before I get a chance to buy an M1 or learn to use a bow accurately then I'll "acquire" a 12 gauge from one of the many places near here.

Yes, and its unite
Sorry, grammar nazi moment :roll:

If separated at the time of the outbreak we have plans in place. If they didn't make it to the rendezvous point I'd establish base camp and ralley an extra weapon or two for a search. But this isn't likely as our plan is pretty solid and if they didn't show I'd probably write them off.

yes

Zombie? Yeah that's why I shot it not because it was obnoxious.

If trade is possible then I would attempt to be diplomatic. If their intent is to violently take what I have, they would die.

Well, this depends on the situation. My plans if the outbreak is spotted with enough time is to join up with my team and fortify an area I know of which would be easily defended and an easy place to homestead and protect the family and team. If no prep time, I'd bug in until it's a bit easier to move about, then I'd bug out to the country side. Situational awareness and excellent marksmanship will be most of what's needed to protect my family.

I don't believe in suicide. I'd have my wife or one of my team take care of me. Noone is worth the risk to the group, NOONE!

This greatly depends on prep time and situation.

Depends on the situation, if I have my permanent shelter setup then yes, but to steal them for my own place.
For temporary shelter, probably not as electricity isn't a priority and it would potentially attract others which could lead to a fight.

If in a defendable, permanent encampment then I'd burn them in a shallow pit.
If on the run, I'd just ensure they were gonna stay dead and keep moving.
If a temporary shelter I'd bury them in a shallow grave and move on as soon as possible.

Burn, hopefully in a furnace with a generator run off the sweet human fat btu's. Lets face it nothing's worse than wasting good farm land on a cemetary.
But if on the run, I'd decapitate them and if in a temporary shelter I'd either burn them or just toss them out.

I'm not hungry and I've been thinking of eating these yippie things, so HELL YES!!!

Stage 1 outbreak: Damn, gotta warn everyone to pay attention and start planning on their final preparations.
Stage 2 outbreak: Prep mode, get it together and go, NOW!!!
Stage 3 outbreak: Why the Hell have't I been paying attention.

I have a generator...
Oh, I guess if the situation was serious enough I'd bug out to some remote place to camp out until more was known, or go see some family.

I'd make my own or just scrub with some hot water. Oh, and smoke baths for b.o.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:37 am

1) Your Weapon of choice and why? 12ga, hatchet, machete, hunting knife, pocket knife : because they all have multiple application and are all useful.
2) Do you see yourself as a leader? The person to unit people and groups. : nop i'm a follower, but i like to be in charge of something, for as long as i can do it the way i want
3) If you have any loved one (wife, kids, boyfriend, etc) would you try and find them? If not why? : depend of the stage of the disaster, most of my family are able to live on their own, and we are too many for me to search for them all
4) Could you see yourself truly being able to kill a family member or friend who has gone zombie? : maybe, but if i have to, i will feel like i lost a part of my soul. but if the situation obligate me, i would do it, for their sake
5) Would you have issues killing a child zombie you did not know? it want to eat me ? i ain't have time to think about it. i will save my a** first.
6) How would you deal with hostile groups (humans) who may want what you have? : try to avoid them, if not. shoot the most dangerous or hostile or the nearest one and run away.
7) If you have kids explain how you would keep them safe from zombies and hostile people? by teaching them all the basic knowledge they need to know to survive on their own in case they have to "deal with daddy " or because dadddy ain't here anymore
8) You have been infected! So would you take your own life, turn and have a friend kill you, or leave your group and turn to remain a zombie until killed? i would give all my stuff to those who need it, only keep my clothe (i ain't gonna die naked) a handgun and a bullet then go somewhere alone to finish it
9) Where would you take up shelter and why? at home first, because i know the area and we are well placed.
10) Would you seek abandon houses or buildings with solar panels? depend if there is already someone there.
11) Would bury the dead (dead zombie) or burn them? either solution have high risk of contamination.
12) Would bury the dead (dead human; not infected) or burn them? burn, they ain't gonna be food for the undead
13) If food was scarce could you bring yourself to eat a dog or cat? yup, i tried many different animals, meat is meat, for as long as it clean
14) Your initial thoughts on the announcement or warning (if any; news)? : double check my gear, and do some calls
15) How would you deal with massive power outage? quite well, we have candle, generator and we gonna invest into solar panel
16) Soaps and Shampoos are becoming scarce so how do you keep clean?, AJAX, baking soda.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 am

Kage Kazumi wrote:Reader,

You see many people ask this question on many forums. In fact, you can find a few topics on the subject here, but let's get a little series. I'm a student in college and for our Horror scenario we could choose a topic and I chose Zombies (the current Fad). Now, like any good aspiring writer I need to do some simple research and have a few questions (scenarios) for you to reply to, to help make my characters more authentic in handling certain scenarios.
Keep in mind that this is a biased sample of actual lifestyle survivalists \ preppers rather than the typical "pickup game" group of zombie fiction. But I'll play.

AK Pattern WASR 10. It was chosen for budget, reliability, and compatability with group ammo and magazines. On my ZOMG kit I also carry a Springfield GI 1911 and a tomahawk, although the last is more for courage than anything else.

Yes. But I don't plan on uniting any groups besides my own.

Yes. I'm more or less convinced that anyone who doesn't do so is a festering pile of shit. The rise of the undead does not absolve you of your moral obligations to your family.

Squick. However, if the parameters are known, then I think I could. I would be messed up about it but if it was a matter of my own survival I would try to do what needs to be done. All of this is assuming that zombies follow the general canon, of course, because if not I might try for a quarantine in hopes of a cure.

Again, squick, but I'd do my damndest to nut up and get the job done.

Stealth and avoidance as primary, suppress and retreat as secondary, and, well, tertiary might be messy.

Child security is something we take seriously on a bugout (we use dolls on our practice events, until most of the kids are a little older) and we usually have a detail assigned to that task alone, ideally 1.5 adults per child although the scenario may dictate otherwise. Also, we are trying to raise our kids in a self sufficient and resilient way of life, which will hopefully make things easier.

Depending on the average observed turnaround time, I would probably do something to tangentially benefit the rest of my group such as leading the zeros away from the intended evacuation route or staying behind to hold a position. If the turnaround time is dangerously short like, say, dawn 2k4 for instance, I'd just blow my brains out right quick.

Any of a number of designated places. People who go out seeking generic 'shelter' are going to get dead real fast-if not by z's then by the rightful owners of the property who don't take too kindly to armed squatters.

I'm not sure I understand the scope of this question. I don't plan on occupying any buildings that are not mine.

No physical contact with corpses if at all possible-if I'm foot mobile I'll probably just leave them lay. In a bug in environment, I might bury them-doubt I can spare the fuel for a hot enough fire to cremate a zero.

If they are my tribe's dead, having been zombified or otherwise, I will do my best to give them a decent burial. May not be possible though. Bodies of people I don't know? Not gonna happen-I have no obligation to them. Also, I'm going to re-emphasize: no contact with dead bodies if it seems the slightest bit risky. If a zombie event occurs, there are going to be a lot of question marks on whether something is safe to handle and I plan to err on the cautious side.

Yes.

First "Oh shit." Second: "Let's get to work. " Again, not sure if I really grok the scope of this question. A lot of people are going to have a lot of thoughts, but I can't really say how it's going to be unless it happens. I like to think that I would think in practical terms first rather than blindly panic, but there is no real way to know until 0-hour.

The same way I deal with one pre-shtf, but with noise discipline. Candles for light, cook over sterno, flush with buckets.

I stack personal admin stuff pretty deep, but even after that runs out you'd be surprised at how clean you can get with a mild bleach solution or some other cleaners. (Don't try it on your hair though)
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

CateyBabe
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM! Always looking for new zombie movies (or horror movies in general), you can never learn enough!

Post by CateyBabe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:38 am

machete, it's light, long enough to keep some distance, strong enough to chop off a head, multi use, ect.
yes, I'm like this in most situations because if you want something done right you got to do it yourself.
yes and no if I have a good idea of where they are I will go after them but I already have a "safe spot" that we all know to go to if seperated.
I wouldn't think twice, I know its the right thing to do and thats what they would have wanted.
not at all they are not a child they are a monster trying to kill me.
First try to reason with them, then depending where I am leave, and as a last resort harm/contain them if they become a threat.
I don't have kids but if I did they would have to learn how to defend themselves as soon as possible.
No matter what I would not let myself become a zombie and I would prefer a friend to kill me.
first my home and if for some reason I had to leave my first thought is to go somewhere underground or to an airport.
of course solar panels would be a great resorces but I wouldn't "seek" anything unless I had to, it's best to stay in one place.
I wouldn't waste my time taking care of a dead body but if I had to I would burn for sure.
I wouldn't waste my time taking care of a dead body but if I had to I would burn for sure.
yes if I absolutly have to
I wouldn't be surprised the best thing is to stay calm and start preparing right away.
It's to be expected thats why should be prepared.
good old fashion water and whatever you have on hand some food products like baking soda can be used.

I really enjoyed answering these questions, and I hope they are helpful! :awesome:
-Catey
http://www.facebook.com/cateybabe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/user/cateybabe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.meetme.com/cateybabe?memorable=cateybabe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am

I am going with kung-fu

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. I don't unit people. It isn't nice.

Don't know that I will; but until I can find me the girl who'll stay and won't play games behind me I'll be what I am A solitary man

Definitely the ones that already dead now. If they come back then they be zombies for certain.

How old did you say you were?

I would consider joining a religion that takes a vow of poverty. If I don't have anything this solves the problem.

My new found beliefs would solve this too.

I would contemplate it.

Under a pipal, olive or palm tree.

Houses of abandon I would only visit if I slipped up in my vows. I have no use for solar panels in the after life.

That depends.

Also

My new found faith would prohibit that too.

I would scoff.

Turn on my generator.

Make more soap

That's all the questions I could come up with. Thanks for reading and hope you answer some of them.

v/Respectfully,
Kage Kazumi
Since my answers are secret I wrote them in invisible ink. OP you will have to tilt your monitor at 45 degree angle to read them. Waiting for the next one in the series.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 pm

AR-15, 12 ga, and 1911.
As far as why? With the AR I can carry more ammo than other weapons of the same size ( ex 7.62x39 AK), the shotgun allows me to have a gun for gamegetting( birds, rabbits, cats....) and one that can potentially open doors ( not for looting or any illegal act, but say, If I have a choice of blow a lock off a door and escape through the building or end up undead.) and the 1911 is the handgun I carry every day, yes its heavy and has a lot of safeties and it only holds 9 rounds, but I KNOW it will work and it is very accurate.

Not really, I would if I had no choice, and depending on the people I might try to form or join a group but....... Honestly I don't trust many people, nor do I really get along with most other people. ( what can I say, most people consider me a sarcastic asshole)

No, with the exception of my son. All the others ( adults) know the predetermined BOL, time frames and what to do. It would create more of a problem than a solution if my whole family went trampling around town looking for each other ( LARGE family). I trust in their training and equipment, and ultimately I trust in THEM to make it to our BOL.

Yes, any one who becomes a threat to my family will be delt with.

No, it is a zombie, hence it is a threat to me and my loved ones.

I quote the late COl Cooper on this, I belive that If they leave me alone then live and let live..... However, IF they are active aggressors then I will meet them with overwhelming Violence and Ferocity, and once it is settled and the dust is clearing then will I decide what to do with survivors. There will be no negotiations, no planitive requests for them to cease, and no sneaking away. Any aggressors will be met with overwhelming force and violance.
"The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.
Jeff Cooper "
"There is nothing wrong with winning a fight. There is a great deal wrong with losing one.
Jeff Cooper"

No need, they are already trained.

Take my own life and as many zombie bastards as possible.
Just about anywhere that is defensible, but not too big to cover with what ever man power I have. Preferably a location out in the boonies somewhere where food is easy to get.

Possibly, to scrounge the panels or whatever supplies are around. I would not approach if there were evidence of habitation. I would prefer not to put another group of survivors in a situation where they would either come to harm or feel the need to defend themselves.

Burn or leave to rot.

Burn. No food for zombies \ animals.
Yes, they taste good, rat\hampster\guinie pig is also good.....

There won't be. Our government likes to keep panic to a minimum. I figure there will be more news on what thong\G-string Kloe Kardashian is wearing than on any outbreaks.

Solar panels and battery bank.

Wet wipes, baby wipes, and or dirt baths.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Suppressed Ruger 10/22 - light weight, accurate, carry lots and lots of round, silenced report.

I know how to lead, I can follow, and I know when to get out of the way.

Of course.

Yes

No

Avoid if possible, confront if need be.

I have one daughter who already knows how to protect herself.

I would try to draw as many zombies away from my group as possible and go out in a blaze of glory. I would try to ensure that one bullet is saved for me.

No, not really.

Most likely neither, waste of time and resource. But I had to, I would bury them.

See answer to 11.

I most likely already have, just don't know it. :D

Like everything in the "news" today...taken with a grain of salt.

Sleep when it gets dark, wake up when it gets light.

Make my own.
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:04 pm

AR, glock. Its what I train with and what Im good at.

I don't enjoy leading, but I tend to do it competently. If the situation requires leadership, I would fill a void. If not, I am much more comfortable following a good leader.

Wife, absolutely. We are a team. I dont leave my team behind.

Dead is dead, moving or not. I would have a problem plugging someone who hadnt turned though, requested or not.

No, I dont like kids.

The same way I deal with it now. Vigilance, and being mindful of tactical realities. Not all fights can be won.

N/A. I hate kids.

I'd like to think I'd put one in my own head, but I'd probably just restrain myself and wait to see if I turned.

Any abandoned structure that looked defensible. So it could be defended.

Houses, no, buildings yes. If setting up a permanent base, I would be looking to scavenge solar panels, batteries and charge controllers. I know how to assemble and set them up.

If time and location permits, either/or/both. The risk of conventional disease doesnt go away in the Z-paw, and 200lb of rotting meat is nasty.

Bury. Burning takes a lot of fuel.

Absolutely.

the outbreak would be well under way before it was taken seriously.

By switching over to my emergency preps. battery backups for critical comm equipment, candles for non-critical

I know how to make both from scratch, and have done so for fun before.

v/Respectfully,
Kage Kazumi
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:48 am

Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mk IV, Ruger Super Redhawk (7 1/2" bbl would make a good club), Custom made bowie and tomahawk, S&W .32 long revolver,

2) Do you see yourself as a leader? The person to unit people and groups
Yes, but I can follow

I'd try some depending on road conditions and how many people if any made it home and needed protecting.

yeah, that would suck

nah

Switch to tactical guns, kill all but thier' good breeding and farming stock

My kids are grown and can shoot, move, and communicate already. Grandbaby would be hidden in crisis and taught SILENCE

8) You have been infected! So would you take your own life, turn and have a friend kill you, or leave your group and turn to remain a zombie
until killed?

Go join the hostile groups you mentioned

I'd dig deeper in on my rural farm

Yes, for foraging purposes

Burn

Burn

It tastes fine :clap:

OH FUUUUU...I gotta rally the kids here NOW. Next thoughts....I shoulda prepped better.

I live in an old immigrant community of farmers and carpenters. I/we know what to do to make it

I dunno, rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat until someone makes some lye soap in the neighborhood. I know two or three of the old women know how.
Boldly going nowhere

redneckzombiekiller
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, The Walking Dead (amc)

Post by redneckzombiekiller » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 am

30-06, Because I like having a long range.

Yes, I can rally up a group. But I will quickly dispatch trouble makers that will jeopardize the groups safety.

Yes, I would do everything in my means to get to them.

Yes, as horrible as it sounds yes.

No.

If could not stay under their radar, I would have to hunt them down. The safety of my family and group is at stake.

I worrie about that a lot. So I have make a lot of defensive construction around the house to keep my little ones and family safe until the need to bug out.

If infected and hostiles are around I would take it upon myself to take as many of them out before I fell. If only zombies I would leave the group and use myself as sacraficial bait to draw them far away from them as possible.

First plan is within my own home, done a lot of work applying my welding trade to design and instal defense. Second plan is my secret shared with the family only, ( don't want everyone else blowing up my fall back locations :D

If on the move, I would be seeking abandoned homes and structures, solar panels are a beacon for raiders later on.

Tuck them off aways from my location and burn them at night.

Depends on if I am on the run or held up in a secure area.

Already eaten dog, along with other critters.

It's about god damn time.

Have generators inplaced, currently working on a idea for a multiply vehicle alternator system that uses magnetic poles to self run system without the need for fuel. Still in prototype stages.

No need, water works just fine.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:56 am

Blacksmith wrote: Invisible stuffs
Or highlight he page. Or hit reply.

Neil Diamond or Johnny Cash?
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Shay_Adams

Post by Shay_Adams » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 pm

1) Your Weapon of choice and why? An M1 Garand. (If I can get my hands on one) And I already have 2 ice-picks for close combat. (Would prefer a trench spike) Got some Great tips on choosing weapons from the book "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks.
2) Do you see yourself as a leader? The person to unit people and groups. Most definitely. And amongst my friends/family, I am most prepared. (Mentally)
3) If you have any loved one (wife, kids, boyfriend, etc.) would you try and find them? If not why? Luckily I live with them, so hopefully we will all be together. Although I believe their religious views would cause them to just commit suicide. (My worst fear)
4) Could you see yourself truly being able to kill a family member or friend who has gone zombie? I don't know...I'd have to. But you JUST don't know. If I did, I'd definitely burn their ashes and take them with me wherever I went...
5) Would you have issues killing a child zombie you did not know? Absolutely not, lol.
6) How would you deal with hostile groups (humans) who may want what you have? This is a tough one because, if you kill them as a 'self-defense' type of tactic, you're compromising your psyche. (Not to mention: What goes around comes around). I would more than likely die this way, from putting my faith in believing they'd adhere to whats wrong and right.
7) If you have kids explain how you would keep them safe from zombies and hostile people? I don't have kids, but I DO have a dog. She's not a barker, but I haven't quite figured out this issue yet...
8) You have been infected! So would you take your own life, turn and have a friend kill you, or leave your group and turn to remain a zombie until killed? I'd probably try and get laid before having someone shoot me (before turning). I'd want to be burned to ash, and be added to the rest of my family in their urn.
9) Where would you take up shelter and why? A prison. Or army base. (For obvious reasons) If those are unreachable, I'd try and find a Very rural area in the woods and set up shop.
10) Would you seek abandon houses or buildings with solar panels? Not specifically, but this could maybe be a good idea.
11) Would bury the dead (dead zombie) or burn them? Definitely burn.
12) Would bury the dead (dead human; not infected) or burn them? Depends on the person I suppose, If it was someone famous, I would probably burn them then try to sell/trade the ashes for things to fans.
13) If food was scarce could you bring yourself to eat a dog or cat? Probably, but that's not very safe. They'd have to not be infected...that's actually a pretty big risk. Any kind of animal...That's actually unsettling. What will I eat when my meal bars are gone? I think I'd rather reduce myself to eating bugs...
14) Your initial thoughts on the announcement or warning (if any; news)? LETS STOCK UP ON FOOD, NOW!
15) How would you deal with massive power outage? I, unfortunately, do Not have a generator...They would make to much noise and attract zombies anyways...Hopefully the prison I try to escape to will have a couple.
16) Soaps and Shampoos are becoming scarce so how do you keep clean? I truly think this will be one of the last things on my mind. I am most concerned with my eye sight...I can't wear contacts for forever, or even sleep with them in. What happens if I loose/break my glasses? I'll be fucking Blind! :gonk:

Hope I helped! Was a bit of an eye opener actually.

~Shay

RedneckReverend
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, Serenity, 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Quarantine, Pet Sematary,

Post by RedneckReverend » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:33 pm

1) 2 ton for quad cab 4x4 with a brush guard. Other weapons come into play only if I have to stop.
2) Unwilling leader I suppose.
3) I wouldn't try, I would find them. Hopefully still human.
4) He/she is already dead at that point. You're not killing them, just de-amimating the corpse.
5) See #4
6) MZB's get the same treatment as brain suckers.
7) Keep them close, take no chances.
8) Tough question. Most likely off myself but possibly self exile if I thought I might be the one to beat the bug. (hope springs eternal)
9) Secure buildings with few windows or barred windows whenever possible or else secluded rural campgrounds.
10) of course
11) burn
12) burn
13) yes
14) Well, this will change things....
15) minimize power use, scavenge fuel when I could to run generator.
16) We already make our own from tallow, lard, goats milk, and lye
And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 am

My katana would be my main weapon. It's precise, effective, has good range (for a hand weapon) but the two-handed grip keeps the blade in close for tight confines or mobs. It can also kill right from the draw (iaido), for those surprise situations.

Yes.

Yes. I always look after my own.

Yes. Despite my tendency to care for people and look after them, I don't feel any real attachment to them. :)

Nope. Kids are annoying (j/k). But seriously, I would have no issues.

Share if feasible, kill if not.

Keep them close to me.

I'd saunter down to the local cop shop, and see if anybody's still alive in there. :)

The woods. I am an experienced wilderness survivalist, and it is the safest place to be.

Not particularly. I don't need electricity to survive. If the location is good then the solar panels would be a bonus though.

Decapitate them or take out their brains first, then burn them.

Decapitate them or take out their brains first, then burn them.

Yes. I eat all kinds of lifeforms, from possums to coon to grasshoppers. Why not a dog or cat?

Oh, I'd better head home and grab my stuff.

Wouldn't bother me none. I've lived without power for years. Never missed it.

Make soap. Use water. Scrub harder.
Last edited by Neddog on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

VinnieD

Post by VinnieD » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 pm

My carry guns, plus a shotgun. You can argue ARs all day long, but if you're at long gun ranges, you're better off not engaging in the first place. The shotgun is for survival, and its versatility of hunting loads make it ideal for taking pretty much anything I'm likely to encounter. Additional armaments will likely be things that double as tools such as knives, a machete, a hammer, hatchet, shovel, or prybar. In a vehicle this is plenty easy to carry, on foot I'll probably have to make a judgment call based on the environment I expect to encounter.

If the group needs an analytical thinker, then yes. If there's better than me, then by all means let them step forward. Survival is the point not my ego. A real man can lead or follow as needed. If the group's leadership is bad, and they aren't willing to change their leadership, then I'd probably divest myself from a group that would follow a lousy leader.

My family are all smart and talented people in terms of practical skills. I do worry that my brother doesn't own any firearms but he's plenty capable in other fields. My girlfiend lives in a more urban area, but she's also clever, and ready to bug out herself. The plan is to meet at my place which is in a more rural area. Bugging in would be my first choice. If things got worse, I have a backup BOL 2 days foot travel away that's much further off the beaten path. If that fails it's going mobile to survive. My GF is actually much better at wilderness survival than I since she does more camping. I'm just a resourceful guy who's good at figuring things out.

Confirmed zombie? yes. They'd want it that way.

No, it's disturbing that a child died, but zombies are already dead. This is just proper corpse disposal.

Insert "kill them, kill them all" video here.
Seriously, I'm not handing over anything. Fight back as long as possible, if the attacks become too frequent, it's clear the BOL failed and it's time to abandon base. Beyond that point, just stay mobile until I find a more secure location. Best to deal with threats of violence by responding with maximum possible violence. If you make it clear that you're too big of a risk to be worth their time, you'll be left alone by all but the most suicidal.

No kids.

I'm not a defeatist. Disinfect and clean the wound thoroughly. I don't believe infection is garaunteed. Avoid the group until I can confirm I've survived, or possibly leave the group if I suspect the infection is irreversible. My religion forbids suicide, so I'm kind of stuck on that one. Hopefully wander off and put myself somewhere where I'm not likely to hurt anyone.

Stated above. Bug in first, if it gets ugly, Bug out. If that fails, go mobile, and seek shelter as the need arises. Avoid populated areas as much as possible. Population centers mean lots of zombies. Wilderness means no zombies.

If they're abandoned, they were probably a bad BOL to begin with.

Burn if they're killed near a BOL otherwise both involve too much handling of still potentially infectous corpses.

Depends upon their own requests. Default being burn. Digging takes time, energy, man hours, calories, and of course space. Also leaves you exposed for a long period of time. Even as a Catholic the church allows for burning bodies in times of crisis.

Predators taste terrible and are lousy sources of nutrients. Additionally domestic animals who are dependent on humans would probably be half starved and even more nutritionally valuless than before. Where I live, squirrels are more common than cats. Raccoon or oppossum would be a bigger question. Besides if meat is that scarce, a cat might bring you a steady supply of mice to dine on.

I'd put it last ditch before people really, but a look around proves that food is not really as scarce as you think it is. Acorns, pine cones, many weeds, are all edible. Just because the packaged commercial foodlike products you were raised on is running out, doesn't mean there's nothing available to eat. Even my rabbits are more valuable alive than as dinner. They convert vast expanses of useless grass into useful fertilizer to grow food enough to not only eat through the summer but even store for winter.

1. check on family, friends,girlfriend before communication is down, and make sure everyone knows what to do.
2. Fortify and take inventory
3. Call my creditors and tell them to enjoy being zombie chow.
4. If there is enough advance warning and the rest of the populace is still in denial while I see the clear beginnings of the zombie outbreak, I convert my savings to supplies and ammo.
5. Organize the neighbors and have them do the same, so they don't suddenly feel the urge to impose upon me when things go south.

Same way I did after katrina. Do without, even if it is a massive inconvenience. There's nothing I NEED power for to survive. I'd like air conditioning and an electric stove, but if I can make fire, I have all I need. Water would be a bigger issue. I suppose digging a well might be in order. I've always wanted to, but paying the EPA for inspection costs more than the local water service. I could gather and purify water from a nearby spring though.

Start making it. It's not really that hard to do. In a pinch though even hot water alone can do the job.

Return to “What Would You Do?”