Have to bug out by foot to a place yet unknown

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The Sentinel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Falling Sky's

Have to bug out by foot to a place yet unknown

Post by The Sentinel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17 pm

You have to leave your bug out vehicle behind (due to no gas, brake down, EMP, etc) what would you take with you? Let's assume you can carry 65 lbs of gear without causing major physical issues in the long term since you don't know how long it will be until you find a "friendly" environment (sorry no market shopping carts nearby, and forget the dog). Lets assume all you might want to carry is already in the vehicle you will be leaving behind (yes you planned well for this situation). How many rounds for your weapon(s) compared to water and food (by weight) would you pack out with? Feel free to include other things like a medical kit, cloths, and other survival type gear.

Don't forget to brake the gear down by weight to make it easier for all of us to track. It will also provide an idea as to what is more important to you. Let's not complicate this exercise by including others that might be with you in your vehicle (team members, family, kids) lets keep it simple :mrgreen:

Enjoy and good luck!
"If blood is the price of Victory, then my enemies shall pay in full!"

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Have to bug out by foot to a place yet unknown

Post by dukman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't understand why I am bugging out to a place unknown... if I am bugging out I have these places called "Bug Out Locations" that I would head toward. If you are bugging out and have no destination in mind that is just foolishness.

I have planned for this breakdown scenario tho... I take my BOB and abandon the vehicle. My pack is nowhere near 65lbs tho. Total pack weight is about 20-25 lbs. If I have my gun, add another 15 pounds for it and some ammo. If I am just bugging out then it is still early and I don't think I will need to go up against any wannabe General Bethlehem and his army, so I don't need all that much ammo.

Water? very little on me. I have filters and ways to boil the water found on the journey.
Food? very little on me. I have enough for a couple days max, but I know some of the wild edibles up here, and my .22 can help get some small game along the way if fishing doesn't work out for me.
First Aid? Just a little boo-boo kit.
Most of the pack weight is due to tools (Axe, multi-tool, knife, machete).

I have also planned for the vehicle breakdown scenario a little further, as I carry camouflage netting in the vehicle. I will take all of the gear out of my rig and hide it in the woods near the road, covered with the tarp so there might be a chance it is still there if/when I come back through. I would then try to drive or push the vehicle further away from the cache and then leave the rig with the windows down (less chance for them to get broken), and hood up and battery gone so it looks like someone else already looted it.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Ok thanks for your reply, "my unknown" destination was simply to get you to think more about what you would want (need) to carry out as opposed to focusing on your bug out location which may or may not have have other esstentials you would be less Willing to take with you knowing you had replacements for them.

I like your thinking on the vehicle, and actually have considered picking up some netting myself (from the sportsmann guide) to cover it when overnighting on my way to my bug out location.

Not wanting to high jack my own thread but on your initial track out ...how much fuel would you want to stock up and take with you to either avoid problems (car jacking) at gas stations or head out unto unpaved roads to avoid potential of road blocks etc. etc.

dukman wrote:I don't understand why I am bugging out to a place unknown... if I am bugging out I have these places called "Bug Out Locations" that I would head toward. If you are bugging out and have no destination in mind that is just foolishness.

I have planned for this breakdown scenario tho... I take my BOB and abandon the vehicle. My pack is nowhere near 65lbs tho. Total pack weight is about 20-25 lbs. If I have my gun, add another 15 pounds for it and some ammo. If I am just bugging out then it is still early and I don't think I will need to go up against any wannabe General Bethlehem and his army, so I don't need all that much ammo.

Water? very little on me. I have filters and ways to boil the water found on the journey.
Food? very little on me. I have enough for a couple days max, but I know some of the wild edibles up here, and my .22 can help get some small game along the way if fishing doesn't work out for me.
First Aid? Just a little boo-boo kit.
Most of the pack weight is due to tools (Axe, multi-tool, knife, machete).

I have also planned for the vehicle breakdown scenario a little further, as I carry camouflage netting in the vehicle. I will take all of the gear out of my rig and hide it in the woods near the road, covered with the tarp so there might be a chance it is still there if/when I come back through. I would then try to drive or push the vehicle further away from the cache and then leave the rig with the windows down (less chance for them to get broken), and hood up and battery gone so it looks like someone else already looted it.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Sure a couple roads may be out due to mother nature such as floods, earthquake, or deep snow, but I don't believe in the whole fantasy portrayed in the movies for my AO (where I live, we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes that cause widespread disaster). A quarter tank can usually get me where I need to go. A half tank should be plenty to get me to one of my BOLs if I had to backtrack and take alternate routes. There is nothing short of a meteor that I can foresee causing me to need to go across the country, or even across the cascades for that matter.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

US_Army_Z28

Post by US_Army_Z28 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Well i can get to my bol on exactly a quarter of a tank of gas but depending on how my interview goes wednesday i might be moving to within a matter of about 10 mins of it, and an emp is not very likely to take out a car, did a some research after watching 2 fast 2 furious regarding emp implemented on cars and the best result they got was the car slowed a bit bc of the interuption in the electronics but then recovered and was still operable, a few times the car actually shut off but could be restarted immediately, but as for me i would be traveling with my wife and my son, hes one so we wont be counting him to carry anything, i will humor the fact of my car is for some reason not available, my wife could probably carry a 25lb pack and our son, she has one of those chest sling things for him lol, me before we could graduate basic training we had a 12 mile ruck march with a 70lb ruck, 20lb body armor, and our weapon so another 12.5lbs, all this keep in mind after a week in the field with at most 2 mres a day, sometimes one and the most sleep we got on any of the nights was 4 hours, some nights maybe an hour and a half, so in this situation ill assume i was a little more well rested and fed than i was then so ill go with a 70lb ruck my guns are 3 handguns and a shotgun my wife would have 2 of the pistols i would have a pistol and the shotgun, so with a 95lb weight limit:
My medkits, 10lbs
NBC items, 10lbs
water, 20lbs
mres and other food, 20lbs
knives, and shelter halve 10lbs
and for my wife her 25lb share will be
ammo, 15lbs
Misc tools, clothes, 10lbs
Last edited by US_Army_Z28 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maldon007 wrote:
My thoughts are, super zombie, whatever it is, sounds stupid, and you should leave Storm Crow's thread before he forges your skull into something useful

US_Army_Z28

Post by US_Army_Z28 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Oh and OT sentinel i like the avatar and sig, been buying items from wicked jester for years
maldon007 wrote:
My thoughts are, super zombie, whatever it is, sounds stupid, and you should leave Storm Crow's thread before he forges your skull into something useful

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

First and foremost "good Luck" to you on your job interview. I wish I was only 10 mins away from a preferred BOL, sweet!
I want to go as far north and some what east from southern California as I can should I had to bug out because of anarchy. I was curious 20 lbs of water only has you carrying about 2 1/2 gallons. Is that becuase you would be so close to your bug out location that you would not need to carry any more than that? I suppose like the other post finding and treating some along the way might be a good back up if you needed more and assuming your bug out location has an available source nearby.

As to the 15lbs of ammo, Would that be for the track to the bug out location only or are you saying that 15lbs would all that you would have for protection and survival (like hunting) once you got to your final destination?

Finally, as to the EMP thing, .... Can you post the link to the website where you read up that an EMP would not fry any of the electronics in a car, and I am now wondering if radios would survive out side of a faraday cage.

Thanks

US_Army_Z28 wrote:Well i can get to my bol on exactly a quarter of a tank of gas but depending on how my interview goes wednesday i might be moving to within a matter of about 10 mins of it, and an emp is not very likely to take out a car, did a some research after watching 2 fast 2 furious regarding emp implemented on cars and the best result they got was the car slowed a bit bc of the interuption in the electronics but then recovered and was still operable, a few times the car actually shut off but could be restarted immediately, but as for me i would be traveling with my wife and my son, hes one so we wont be counting him to carry anything, i will humor the fact of my car is for some reason not available, my wife could probably carry a 25lb pack and our son, she has one of those chest sling things for him lol, me before we could graduate basic training we had a 12 mile ruck march with a 70lb ruck, 20lb body armor, and our weapon so another 12.5lbs, all this keep in mind after a week in the field with at most 2 mres a day, sometimes one and the most sleep we got on any of the nights was 4 hours, some nights maybe an hour and a half, so in this situation ill assume i was a little more well rested and fed than i was then so ill go with a 70lb ruck my guns are 3 handguns and a shotgun my wife would have 2 of the pistols i would have a pistol and the shotgun, so with a 95lb weight limit:
My medkits, 10lbs
NBC items, 10lbs
water, 20lbs
mres and other food, 20lbs
knives, and shelter halve 10lbs
and for my wife her 25lb share will be
ammo, 15lbs
Misc tools, clothes, 10lbs

US_Army_Z28

Post by US_Army_Z28 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Wow i got myself a nice typo that changed everything, the word older was supposed to be before cars, i should add it depends on the magnitude and how far away the emp strike happened, if it was high and relativley closee things such as spark plugs would need to be replaced to get it running again, this applies to cars mainly pre 1970 so later in the post i will post a link to a video of a emp cannon a company has developed and has a video of it used on a newer car, and i have only read about the pre 1970 thing so it may or not be true havent found a test for it, and yes all these supplies are for my movement to the bol alone, my bol is my armory so weapons, ammo, food, water, first aid tools and well pretty much everything is there, i guess i shouldve mentioned that huh lol, and thanks for the wish of luck, got laid off back at the beginning of march and this has been my most promising interview yet, and it will provide an oportunity for us to move out of the shitty neighborhood we live in now
maldon007 wrote:

US_Army_Z28

Post by US_Army_Z28 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 pm

maldon007 wrote:

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks for the link, yeah I have read that if an EMP hits that is generated by our own Sun it will shut down all electronis unless "housed" in a Faraday Cage.
Oh well, better dust off my mountain bike just in case :mrgreen:

2now

Post by 2now » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 pm

How about having a bicycle or cart in her vehicle as part of your preps? The dramatically increases your weight limit.

but with a 95 lb limit I would expect to take about 9 lbs of guns and ammo. In fact my goal is to have about 8% of my weight allocated to each of:
defense
shelter
warmth
medical/hygiene
food
water
travel [and packaging]
data collection and storage
tools
materials
clothes

not that I have put too much thought into this . . .
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Good point and I agree, if for some reason if word has it that there is a good chance of a global type EMP from a solar flare or the like and assuming there is some type of early warning system (or not) :D having a bicycle (mountain bike type with heavier tires to take the load) might be just the ticket to at least get you and your gear to a safer place.

2now wrote:How about having a bicycle or cart in her vehicle as part of your preps? The dramatically increases your weight limit.

but with a 95 lb limit I would expect to take about 9 lbs of guns and ammo. In fact my goal is to have about 8% of my weight allocated to each of:
defense
shelter
warmth
medical/hygiene
food
water
travel [and packaging]
tools
materials
clothes

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:51 am

2now wrote:How about having a bicycle or cart in her vehicle as part of your preps? The dramatically increases your weight limit.

defense
shelter
warmth
medical/hygiene
food
water
travel [and packaging]
tools
materials
clothes

Mild necro, but this came up today. My take on the cart thing is that you have to remember that you never own more than you can carry at a dead run. This goes double in a bug-out where you're going to need 9lb of guns and ammo.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:14 am

Why not just get a motorcycle with a cargo trailer? It would have to be an old school model with a kickstart but it's better than pedaling. Just like modern cars, most motorcycles now have electrical components such as ignition and fuel systems so depending upon the make/model an EMP burst may have none to major Impact.
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Since most of a motor cycles wiring is exposed outside it stands a better chance of gathering an EMP effect and transferring it to something sensitive like the ignition module. Unlike with a car that has all its wires inside its metal box.

To get around this you need either a second module or a bike old enough that it has no module. Pre 1970 should make sure of that. Or have a 2 stroke engine.

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 am

Keep in mind and I will assume (even for a little) that in such an event more than likely Gas Stations through out may very be out of commission at least on the short term and render themselves inoperative due to the effects of an EMP. So part of the bug out gear would have to include previously stored fuel (and stabilizer). CORRECT ??

thechin wrote:Why not just get a motorcycle with a cargo trailer? It would have to be an old school model with a kickstart but it's better than pedaling. Just like modern cars, most motorcycles now have electrical components such as ignition and fuel systems so depending upon the make/model an EMP burst may have none to major Impact.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 45&t=89657

Great thread by a handsome young man about bug out bicycle trailers.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “What Would You Do?”