do you mow your lawn in a paw?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: do you mow your lawn in a paw?

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 pm

When I was in Kenya, people would drive a stake in a certain patch of their shamba, tie a goat to it and the grass would be neatly trimmed by the end of the day. The following morning, they'd move the stake and repeat the process.

Between the tethered goat and the free range chickens, the grass was trimmed, the tick population well controlled and everyone was happy.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Our lawn mower dropped dead 3 minutes into the first mow of the year.
Due to weird circumstances we have not been able to replace it yet, so this is the result and the reason why my answer is still "Yes, I will mow".
Across the yard (see the rock wall under the pole? No?), the swingset, the tool shed and a fence.
Wow.

I guess spring came earlier for you, ZG, than for me. I've not mown yet this year and even the shaggier bits are barely reaching my ankles.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:23 pm

If I ever were to mow my lawn those creepy gnomes would find the mines I planted!

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:28 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Lawns started out in the Central Plains as a way to keep the fire danger down.
In other areas it breaks up all that gray concrete, and gives rain a place to absorb instead of flood.
From my knowledge of history lawns, I had heard they started in England estates as a source of food for the sheep flocks for the manor house. The lawn was grazing land for the house's sheep but it was found to make a nice soft space to walk on and do activities on also. So even when manor houses got rid of their sheep they employed servants to cut the grass with sheers to keep the same effect they had grown accustom to when having sheep graze the land.

The Americanization of lawns had come from idealizing the English manor house as the ideal for living due to the heavy English influence of America and especially of the high society of America.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

I stand corrected; I looked it up and found it is believed they started on the African Savannah. Then the English brought them here as you posted.

Much as I detest the work (I am lazy by nature) I far prefer it to the hard-packed dirt people had before housing developments started springing up. I was the one who had to clean up the tracked mud.
In any case, I shall mow rather than have that again.
-
Will YOU mow, or not mow?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Will YOU mow, or not mow?
I don't have any lawn in my current yard. Just flower beds, ferns, trees, bushes, and ponds. So no mowing for me currently. When I get my land for a homestead this year, I don't plan on lawn there either. I will have pasture with animals to graze it, but nothing that would be considered lawn really.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:03 am

Now that I know the history of lawns I will make my servants cut it with shears in the PAW as an ostentatious display of wealth and power.

Or I will let the goats eat it. Then I can eat the goats. Then I will poop in my septic tank which feeds my lawn. Thus completing the circle of life.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:59 am

A little Googling finds these:
"Goats possess a unique characteristic that separates them from almost all other types of livestock.
They would rather eat brush and weeds than grass because they are browsers, whereas cattle are grazers.
Browse makes up approximately 60 percent of a goat's diet but only about 10 to 15 percent of a cow's."

"They are drawn to the most nutritious plants, and so they will stubbornly refuse to graze a lawn and instead they'll eat all the weeds, bushes, leaves, & finally barks of the trees before they'll tackle your grass."

"Goats are browsers, like deer, which means they prefer trees, bushes, and woody weeds; rather than standing still and eating grass down to the roots, they like to stay on the move, eating a bit of this and a bit of that. Goats can learn to graze a pasture, but don't expect it to be "mowed." The grass helps supplement the goats' diet, but low grazing also can spread parasites."

"Goats are animals that are flexible and selective feeders. Goats have evolved with a greater ability to browse and to digest lower quality herbage than sheep. In southern Australia, when offered fresh green pasture, goats will tend to consume the most highly digestible grasses in preference to clovers and other shorter plants. There is no evidence that clovers harm goats. If fed on rations mainly composed of cereal grains, maximum feed intake is obtained if about one third of the diet is forage based. The selective, flexible and browsing nature of goats enables them to consume very nutritious food from many plants regarded as weeds. Goats are best described as mixed feeders."
---------------------
Apparently, they'll eat it if they have to, but prefer more than half their diets to be your rose bushes... :) :(
Please folks, get a small cow or a sheep not some goats if you want your lawn mowed.
Goats are, however, great for clearing out blackberry bushes, etc.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:13 am

Goats can't read. They have kept the fields mowed for years without complaint. They do tend to like the rough stuff but they will eat anything. They get a bit more gassy with lots of grass though.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:19 am

Suit yourself, I merely posted what I found.
-

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Even though I don't have a lawn and don't ever plan on having one, I will give my take on lawn care in PAW.

I think it would be very dependent on your circumstance and area. If other yards in your area are getting mowed, then yours would look out of place if not, but if they aren't yours would look out of place being mowed.

My #1 thought is ripping up your lawn as soon as possible to start planting some sort of food crops. Though this would be better suited to a back yard than front, if you have a somewhat sheltered front yard, or in a defensible dead end road, then front yard might make sense also.

2nd thought, is a cared for lawn or even publicly seen garden would make you a target for looters and raiders. It gives away your home as occupied and having something worth taking.

3rd thought, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117442 harvesting grass to make nutritional yeast as a food source.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm

[quote="ZombieGranny"]I'm bumping this up, as I have something concrete to add.
Our lawn mower dropped dead 3 minutes into the first mow of the year.
Due to weird circumstances we have not been able to replace it yet, so this is the result and the reason why my answer is still "Yes, I will mow".
Across the yard (see the rock wall under the pole? No?), the swingset, the tool shed and a fence.]

if it really IS the paw, would you want your kids playing on swings and making noise?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Barnabus wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:I'm bumping this up, as I have something concrete to add.
Our lawn mower dropped dead 3 minutes into the first mow of the year.
Across the yard (see the rock wall under the pole? No?), the swingset, the tool shed and a fence.
if it really IS the paw, would you want your kids playing on swings and making noise?
It depends.
If it's the "male" version like Mad Max or Waterworld with everyone killing each other for scarce resources & jollies, then no.
If it's the "female" version like The Depression with everyone just trying to get by, then yes.
-

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Aw heck, let the kids play! Surround the swings with a stout fence and just kill the zombies as they line up for application of the classic eye-jab :mrgreen:

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:28 pm

This solves the gas and major noise problem:

http://youtube/8tL19qFc6P4
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:00 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:This solves the gas and major noise problem:

http://youtube/8tL19qFc6P4

Bad link?

From YouTube: "This page isn't available. Sorry about that. Try searching for something else."

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu May 12, 2016 1:35 pm

LESS THAN ONE MONTH LATER:
Bought a mower, getting ready to mow.
Here's a path to the woodpile.

The swing-set just before mowing, swings marked.

Yep - gotta mow.
-

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu May 12, 2016 1:53 pm

I think that Hollywood filmed a movie in your back yard

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu May 12, 2016 2:10 pm

That's just about right. :lol:
-

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu May 12, 2016 9:57 pm

In the PAW you plant Emo grass - it cuts itself.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu May 12, 2016 10:30 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:In the PAW you plant Emo grass - it cuts itself.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:39 am

Browning 35 wrote: In an extreme SHTF Situation/PAW I'd want : Slightly overgrown grass (not so much where someone could actually use it as concealment though) and maybe a couple of abandoned burnt out cars in front of the house flush with the porch (more cover for us inside besides what I'd improvise along the inside walls).

Then maybe I'd scatter some debris (cans, bottles, scrap metal etc) or household items.
that describes my home now :oh:
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Return to “What Would You Do?”